Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  2:13:08 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Nelson, (Yart #1081) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Civic Heritage badge.

"Today I went to the Henry Ford Museum. This is the largest museum in my area.

I love to see how people lived in a different age. The clothes, furnishings, and even the cars are almost so different from our time now. Its easy to see how things have evolved and de-evolved at the same time. There was one set up of a 1940's kitchen it was sparse and I commented that I liked the look of the uncluttered area. So different from my own kitchen."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  2:13:49 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Nelson, (Yart #1081) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"For years I have been dreaming of having my own business. So I went ahead and got my name Grim Wytche Farm.

So far I have the name and a blog site. I'm still working on the rest!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  2:14:25 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Nelson, (Yart #1081) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"What I did for this badge was look into my business assumed name and I'm good. No one else has it. I have been creating items for the shop as funds allow.

I have a nice stash of items ready to go into the shop for the Grand Opening!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  2:25:20 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Nelson, (Yart #1081) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Forage for Food badge.

"I took a class that was offered on how to forage for food and other things.

We were shown wild carrots, mulberries, raspberries and things like mullen and comfrey. I enjoyed the class very much."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  2:26:52 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Nelson, (Yart #1081) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Forage for Food badge.

"I have been searching my area for things that I can forage.

So far I have found a mulberry tree, several apple trees, several crab apple tress and a raspberry bush. All in all not a bad start."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  2:27:36 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Nelson, (Yart #1081) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Self-sufficiency badge.

"I have several mints growing in my garden that I dry for teas. I have made up several spice blends to mimic the montreal steak seasoning and even Famous Dave's Pork rub....

I think the mixes I made were much tastier than the store bought, as they were fresher."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  2:29:39 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Nelson, (Yart #1081) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Self-sufficiency badge.

"I love canning... I have done apple and peach pie fillings, pickles, tomatoes, jams, jellies, sauces, and meats.

It usually turns out very good. Except for the pickles... Still looking for a recipe that the family loves. :O) I love the convenience of having the jars on the shelf."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  2:30:36 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Nelson, (Yart #1081) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Self-sufficiency badge.

"I have made my own fruit leathers and jerky. I have had friends and family over while I'm canning. I share everything I'm doing so that they can be involved with this ancient mystery called canning... LOL!

I'm not a real big fan of fruit leather to begin with but I thought the monsters might like it. I was wrong. The jerky we are still trying to find a recipe that appeals to everyone. By allowing people over while I'm canning I have had 3 family members take up canning because I helped take some of the mystery out of it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  3:36:44 PM  Show Profile
Erin Cole, (MtnGrlByTheBay #4537) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"It's a long story. A couple years ago we had a mole/vole problem in our backyard and I was complaining about it at work. A co-worker overheard me, and suggested I get some chickens. I asked him why, and he said that I have moles/voles because I have grubs and bugs they like to eat. If I got chickens, they'd eat the grubs and bugs instead, and drive out the rodents. He said to build a moveable pen (later I learned, this is routinely called a Chicken Tractor) and move it around my yard daily. I loved the idea even though I knew NOTHING about fowl. Unfortunately... my husband didn't.

A year went by... we rescued a cat. She helped the rodent problem, but I still longed for chickens.

Another year went by... my neighbor aquired chickens, and I enthusiastically told my husband about it. "FINE, just DO IT!" he said. I didn't hesitate and started researching how to build a moveable pen... and all about chickens.

More to the story on my blog entry here: http://www.lastlapgang.com/2/archives/07-2012/1.html

Since that entry, my husband is enthusiastically on board and my young boys love it too. Even my step-son, can't get one of our particular hens out of his mind, so she's officially "his" even though he lives two states away!

I built my tractor. Started with 4 hens from a different co-workers' wife. My husband said we should get two more, as he wanted some blue eggs. So we visited the Mennonites and acquired two more.

Our flock is holding strong at 6. I've made some revisions to my tractor - wheels, tarp, steering, better nests, etc... and now have 2 of the 6 hens laying regularly with a 3 due to lay any day. We almost have a surplus to share with friends now!

I've managed to facilitate peaceful cohabitation among all three dogs, the cat and the chickens too! I've joined backyardchickens.com and have almost got another neighbor to consider getting her own flock too! I've become known as the "chicken lady" around the neighborhood, and I find that to be the best nickname I've had in a long time!

I'm currently learning how to winterize my coop and my goal is to keep all 6 hens alive all winter. Yes, we consider them pets, and they all have names, however, I've been teaching my boys to understand how good it is for us to raise our own chickens, and why chickens are mass produced to supply our hungry county. We don't plan to eat our ladies in down, however, I teach our boys that if we had to, we could, and that many farmers DO raise chickens for meat.

It's been a wonderful experience all around, and I'm absolutely thrilled to have my little flock. In fact, I told myself I couldn't officially join MJF Sisterhood until I had my own chickens, so this badge is especially important to me."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2012 :  1:25:42 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Nelson, (Yart #1081) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"I have a big compost bin that I bought a few years ago.

I use it weekly, by adding in kitchen waste and inside rabbit litter. Every Spring I am able to side dress most of my garden."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2012 :  1:27:05 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Nelson, (Yart #1081) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I'm finally able to apply for this badge. I now have a female rabbit that is the foundation to my breeding stock. I have had a male but he is a house pet. My female is outside in a hutch.

I haven't bred them yet. I am waiting till she is a little bit older. But so far so good."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2012 :  1:27:56 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Nelson, (Yart #1081) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"I made this out of old tomato stakes and twine.

It worked very well, until powdery mold got to it... Unfortunately, I made a beginner mistake and didn't allow enough air to the plants. But I was able to harvest."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2012 :  1:29:04 PM  Show Profile
Rachel Nelson, (Yart #1081) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I went though and gathered up everything that was on the list and added it to a pint sized canning jar. I used some old fabric that I had to make the pin cushion on the top. I even went out and got really pretty long straight pins for the top.

I think it turned out great I keep it next to my desk so that if one of the monsters needs something fixed quick I have my little kit always ready!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2012 :  11:25:05 AM  Show Profile
Linda Van Ausdell, (vanavista #4347) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I made this half apron. I adapted the lollipop pattern.

I love it and I do wear it in the kitchen."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2012 :  11:26:06 AM  Show Profile
Linda Van Ausdell, (vanavista #4347) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Aprons badge.

"I made this apron for my daughter. I wore my half apron. We were making a cheese cake for a party at her new apartment.

I think she looks beautiful in it. She loves it!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2012 :  11:27:39 AM  Show Profile
Linda Van Ausdell, (vanavista #4347) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Birds badge.

"I’ve been bird watching on my property for about 8 years. Here is a small list of birds I have identified. I also included a picture that I took out my craft room window.

Birds
Osprey
Anna’s hummingbird
Robin
Golden Eagle
Bald Eagle
American Crow
Junko
Varied Thrush
Golden-crowned Sparrow
Red tailed hawk
Grosbeak, Black=headed
Spotted towhee
Red winged black bird
American crow
Turkey vulture
Chestnut-backed Chickadee
Stellar jay
Pine skin

I love to bird watch. I have a photo album of birds in my backyard."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2012 :  11:52:04 AM  Show Profile
Carol Norwood, (Carol #3886) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"After visiting a dear friend and seeing all of her handmade quilts displayed in her home, I knew it was time to start quilting. I decided that I needed to start by making something small - a wall hanging. I first started by taking scraps of material and teaching myself how to piece a log cabin square. I made several squares before I fully understood how important cutting and exact seams were. Once I was satisfied, I took a fall-themed panel (small) and pieced around it. Next I hand-quilted the entire piece. Finally I sewed on binding material and hand-stitched it all closed.

I love the piece! It's hanging in my dining room right now!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2012 :  11:55:00 AM  Show Profile
Carol Norwood, (Carol #3886) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Quilting badge.

"I decided I wanted a chicken-themed table runner for my kitchen table. I found a fairly simple pattern in a magazine and pieced the entire thing together. It was quite a challenge to get everything lined up and straight. I had to take quite a few pieces apart before I was satisfied with how they lined up. After I had the whole thing pieced together, I hand-quilted it. Finally, I was able to put the binding on it and finish it.

I love my very first table runner! Considering what a challenge it was to make, I think it came out great!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2012 :  11:56:14 AM  Show Profile
Carol Norwood, (Carol #3886) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge.

"I made little felt ornaments and embellished them with buttons. Each one was different and I gave them to members of my family and all of my friends!

They came out great! Every year I make homemade things to give to family and friends. I have people tell me all of the time how much they enjoy getting out all of the things that I have made for them over the years."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2012 :  11:57:10 AM  Show Profile
Carol Norwood, (Carol #3886) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have been collecting buttons for as long as I can remember. It all started with my memories of my grandmother's button box. I used to love looking at all the different buttons. I have mason jars all over the house filled with buttons from old clothes, buttons I have purchased at yard sales, and buttons that friends have given me.

I love all my buttons!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2012 :  11:58:37 AM  Show Profile
Carol Norwood, (Carol #3886) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Scrapbooking badge.

"I made a scrapbook for a dear colleague as a retirement gift. He was a long-time teacher. I had former students, current students, former colleagues and current colleagues write pages for the book.

The book turned out so well that when I presented it to him, my colleague actually cried. It was a very meaningful gift."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2012 :  1:22:25 PM  Show Profile
Emily Plunkett, (#4276) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I've got a small button collection that I've been "working on" for about 7 years. Most of the buttons have come from the extras that they give you when you buy dress shirts. Some I've picked up at garage or estate sales. Some I've plucked off of old shirts before they get turned to rags. I started counting them and got to 50 to make sure it counted. Extrapolating to the entire collection, I'd estimate I've got about 150 buttons, which surprisingly does not look like much. I'm looking forward to the intermediate badge!

See my picture. Doesn't look like much... but its probably ~150 buttons."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2012 :  1:28:24 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Self-sufficiency badge.

"We made Watermelon Fruit Leather.

Due to everyone's schedule, it was easier to post a short tutorial on my blog, in regards to making watermelon fruit leather. I also shared it with my chapter as well.

I was quite pleased in the results. It tastes great and looks just like the organic fruit strips sold in stores. It's healthier and much cheaper."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2012 :  1:30:19 PM  Show Profile
Callie Christofferson, (FaithfulchickWI #4166) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Scrapbooking badge.

"I made a baby scrapbook for my daughter. I started it before she was born( even before I knew she was a she)
She is 3 now and loves looking at it and I hope that she will cherish it as she grows older.

The scrapbook is something I am pretty proud of. I know my daughter likes looking at it and I like sharing my creativity with others as well. "
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2012 :  1:31:28 PM  Show Profile
Callie Christofferson, (FaithfulchickWI #4166) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have several bags that I have acquired over the years and now I leave them in my trunk just in case I stop somewhere.

I really like using my own bags they can hold so much more and you don't have to worry about the bag breaking easily. My daughter likes it too, it gives her something to carry while mommy is shopping."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page