Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  2:05:18 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Jean Harms, (Laurie Jean #4200) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I bought several books on "green living". Two of my favorite books are "Better Basics" for the home by Annie Berthold-Bond & the other "Easy Green Living" by Renee Loux.
I make my own household cleaners using either baking soda or vinegar, depending on what I'm cleaning. I also made lavender sachets using cotton drawstring bags, to use in the dryer.

The lavender sachels take care of any static plus leave my laundry fresh. A good recipe for cleaning in the kitchen is baking soda, castile soap, rosemary & sweet orange essential oils, club soda & water. Can spray on all washable sufaces. Great on stains & grease."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  2:06:26 PM  Show Profile
Connie Herron, (Littlegirl54 #4152) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Water Conservation badge.

"I started with finding out how much water my family wastes just letting the shower water warm up. It really opened my eyes to what I have been missing for water usage. I found out that myself alone, not to add anyone else in the family's usage, was over 14 gallons a week down the drain without being used. I set about to collect that water. I encouraged others to do so to. And now....

I use my would be wasted pre-shower water for watering some plants around the home. I also use it at times to flush the toilet, or soak my feet. I really have learned not to be wasteful with my water."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  2:07:04 PM  Show Profile
Connie Herron, (Littlegirl54 #4152) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Water Conservation badge.

"In the process of finding out my water wasting habits, I decided to go further with my water conservation. I did not put the rain barrels in as yet. I plan on doing so before the rains come this year. I did however put in a greywater reclamation system.

At this point, I have plumbed the washer and the kitchen sink to a gravel filled pond, that when it reaches a certain level runs off into a separate pond. I am in the process of planting the necessary pond water plants to ensure that the pond gets filtered. I am going to be using the reclaimed water to give my almond trees a drink on a regular basis. My almond trees are not near the house, so it is important to get water to them."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  2:08:14 PM  Show Profile
Connie Herron, (Littlegirl54 #4152) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I made my journal, and am reading a chapter a day in the book. My journal is on my computer, and I don't always have the time to get on and update it, but I am trying to MAKE more time for it.

I have been feeling more thankful for the little things in life that really matter. It has also made me aware of the things in life that bring me down, and I will be working to rid myself of those things as I move to a more grateful lifestyle."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  2:09:35 PM  Show Profile
Connie Herron, (Littlegirl54 #4152) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"Since I discovered the many uses of vinegar, I am using it, baking soda, and lemon/orange oils for most of my cleaning needs. I will be making my own dish soap, body wash, and hand soap soon.

I put orange peels in a small jar of vinegar to sit and extract the oils. I then used it to clean my bathroom. My bathroom has never been cleaner. I am sold. No more chemical cleaners for me! Now I am finding other ways to use vinegar. (and using them)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  1:38:12 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong, (ceejay48 #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an intermediate level Fishing badge.

"First of all, my husband is an excellent and skilled fisherman and from him I've learned a lot about fishing.
Secondly, I did a recent search and study of our Colorado Division of Wildlife website to learn more about the current, 2012, fishing information.
This included a list of 203 lakes in Montezuma County alone . . that was a surprise to me.
There was also a very descriptive listing of species identification with pictures which included several types of trout, Kokanee salmon, bass, sunfish, bluegill, crappie and others.
And, of course a comprehensive discussion of regulations for fishing in the State of Colorado. Of course there is info on fees and the season dates.

Because of what my husband has taught me I've learned a lot about the different type of bait to use. We've not done a lot of stream/river flyfishing, but have done quite a bit from the canoe or lake shore.

Fishing is not my favorite thing to do, but I can get some pleasure out of it. When my patience gets thin I just kiss my hubby goodbye and go for a hike. He enjoys it so much more that I don't want to ruin it for him.

I was successful, at one time, in catching a turtle! Hooked it on the edge of its shell, but let it go!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  1:40:07 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Mackey, (Jen Mackey #4218) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Going Green badge.

"I disposed of all my store bought cleaners and made my own cleaning products with "green" ingredients. I now do everything homemade. I made my own laundry detergent, fabric softner, dishwashing detergent, bar soap, disinfectant cleaner, floor cleaner, and window cleaner.

I love all of my homemade products! I refuse to ever buy store cleaners again. Homemade cleaners work so much better than store bought cleaners! I never knew vinegar could clean so many surfaces and soften laundry! I made homemade dishwashing detergent out of baking soda, borax, and citric acid. It works better than any store product I've ever used. There are no spots on my dishes and they always come out clean. My husband works on cars and always comes home greasy. My homemade laundry detergent takes everything out! I love it! I also save so much money! I love going green!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  1:41:13 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Mackey, (Jen Mackey #4218) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have saved and recycled buttons. I have buttons passed down to me from my great grandmother. She passed away in 1977. These buttons were given to me on 12/25/2010 by my grandmother. I have been collecting them ever since. I treasure these buttons and will pass them on to my daughters when they are older. I always recycle buttons. I take them off of old garments that are not worn any longer.

I love buttons! I love collecting buttons. I never throw a button away. There is never an unwanted button in my house. I am currently attempting to sew my first apron with some of my favorite buttons on it. To me, every button has a story."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  1:59:47 PM  Show Profile
Becky Johnson, (BeckyBoop #4159) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I still have the sewing box that my mother helped me make 24 years ago. However, I had lost most of the items that were once in it, so I began replacing them this past month. New sewing shears, pins, needles, seam ripper, thread, buttons, etc.

(I have a bag of safety pins that my daughters have misplaced, but I do know they are in this house somewhere! I have been looking for days and decided to submit anyway. They'll turn up!)

I am so happy with my new sewing kit! I have been practicing my hand sewing skills by making my new pin cushion and needle book. Both are made with felt and I practiced the following stitches: whip, running, blanket, and applique. I am proud of my little sewing kit."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  2:12:13 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Taylor, (leilaht #1932) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"I love to look at seed catalogs. The names of the heirloom varieties are awesome. I read "Gardening with Heirloom Seeds" and found it very interesting. Heirlooms have always fascinated me. I planted many heirloom seeds this year, way more than 5%. I planted Hillbilly and Cherokee Purple tomatoes. I also planted Four O clocks which are heirloom flowers. The morning glories we planted next to the house are heirlooms too.

The Four O'Clocks are blooming like mad. I'm still waiting for ripe tomatoes, but there are plenty of them. The Hillbillies look like potato plants. We thought for a while they might have gotten mixed up at the nursery."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  2:13:24 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Taylor, (leilaht #1932) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Crochet badge.

"I crocheted a star afghan for my couch. It is just a ripple stitch worked in the round. I always wondered how ripple stitch works. Now I now. It took me more than 20 hours that is sure. I worked on it during lunch at work too.

I like it. It started out for a baby shower, but I didn't get it done so now it's mine."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  2:18:30 PM  Show Profile
Brande Vogele, (dazite #4360) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I used several websites to research ways that I can clean my home without the aid of toxic cleaners. The First is http://www.treehugger.com/htgg/how-to-go-green-cleaning.html#supplies . This website really opened my eyes to the harms of these cleaners and gave me some great ideas on going green. I also used Pinterest to come up with recipes for homemade cleaners out of baking soda and vinegar. I even made a recipe of laundry detergent that was completely natural.

I have committed to using products that are green in my house. This includes laundry too. The detergent I made smells amazing and cleans well too. Attached are the two gallons of detergent (160 loads) that I made for less than $15."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  2:20:25 PM  Show Profile
Kim Hazelrigg, (kimarie91 #3147) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"After trying to store some leftovers and having not one lid for the bowls I had I was ready to clean out (again) the plastic-ware bins. I've been wanting to get a Pyrex set and as luck would have it, they were on sale and I had an extra coupon to apply to the purchase! So I put everything that was plastic and didn't have a matching lid in the recycle bin, took the matching ones to my mom and bought my Pyrex set.

It turned out great! I'm really happy that there is enough space to hold my 9x13 dishes as well. It's a bit noiser than the plastic was when you close and open the bins, but I'm much happier with it.

2 more awesome bits - if the lid is MIA at least plastic wrap or foil will "stick" to the glass AND I don't have to pull out another bowl to heat up leftovers. So I save on dishes to wash. My husband is the official dishwasher of our home so he likes that."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  2:21:36 PM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemier, (ruthie 218 #4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Plant It Forward badge.

"I planted several pots of herbs and veggies to give to our church pantry.

My pot garden turned out great. I had over 40 tomatoes on the 2 plants and about 20 peppers. Many cuts of fresh herbs."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  2:22:21 PM  Show Profile
Ruth Ann Kutemier, (ruthie 218 #4072) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Greatest Generation badge.

"I visit with 2 elderly ladies. I have spent many hours talking and playing cards with Helen. I even planned a 90th birthday party for her in Feb. Helen has since passed away on 4/18/12.

I feel that my visits and birthday party turned well. Even though Helen is gone I still carry her love and memories close to my heart."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  4:05:18 PM  Show Profile
Sue Daniel, (subfarmgirl #3727) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Birds badge.

"Several years ago I bought the “Beginner’s Guide to Bird Feeding” book at a local museum’s gift shop. It wasn’t until this summer that I referenced the book and set up a feeding station in our backyard. I purchased a set of binoculars and began identifying the birds shown in the book that are found in Central Indiana during the summer.

So far I have seen the following birds visit the feeder: mourning dove, blue jay, American crow, European starling, cardinal, junco, purple finch, American goldfinch, and house sparrow."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  4:08:11 PM  Show Profile
Sue Daniel, (subfarmgirl #3727) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level Birds badge.

"With the severe drought in the Midwest this summer, I decided to put out a bird bath. I visited a local antique mall and found two pieces that would make a great bird bath: a white enamelware bowl and a small iron plant stand. I attached the two pieces with some silicone adhesive and set the bird bath near the feeding station.

I haven't seen very many birds visit the bird bath yet, so I consulted our local bird supply store. They recommended just being patient for the birds to discover the water. I did see a purple finch visit the bird bath in mid-July in the late afternoon. He just took a few sips and left."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  4:09:09 PM  Show Profile
Sue Daniel, (subfarmgirl #3727) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level Birds badge.

"My husband and I joined a bird-watching expedition at a nature park and reservoir with the local Audubon society chapter.

In addition to feeling very welcomed by the group of regular birders, we spotted: Caspian tern – on an island in the center of the lake; osprey – perched on a dead tree limb and flying; cardinal; woodcock – sleeping in some brush, bill folded under wing; bald eagle – perched on the edge of a high branch; barn swallow – flying overhead; great egret – several wading in shallow water; Baird's sandpiper, killdeer – feeding in the sand at the edge of the water; red-necked phalarope – swimming; cormorant – three perched in the branches of a dead tree; downy woodpecker – a young one just off the trail; green egret – a pair just off the banks of a small pond; Eastern bluebird – flying; sharp-skinned hawk – two flying high; and red-shouldered hawk – flying in the midst of the two other hawks."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  4:10:51 PM  Show Profile
Mandi Wright, (#3643) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Water Conservation badge.

"We've had a leaky faucet in the house that I've been bugging my husband to fix. Since he's been so busy lately w/ work, I took the job upon myself! I changed the springs, stoppers and o-rings. Also, this summer, the kids have been playing more in the pool and taking less baths and showers. I've also been doing more sponge-baths instead of showers every day.

These small changes have helped! I did some calculations and found we saved about 50 gallons in a week - not as much as I'd like, but still an improvement!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  4:11:34 PM  Show Profile
Mandi Wright, (#3643) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Water Conservation badge.

"We had a horrible drought this summer, so the idea of using grey water was definitley appealing and interesting. I researched different ways to safely use and collect grey water and also looked at several different types of grey water irrigation systems. Thankfully, to help my poor vegetable garden, we already have a rain barrel system!

Because of our septic system, we have to collect our grey water in buckets - mostly bath water. We love our rain barrel too!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  4:12:46 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Mackey, (Jen Mackey #4218) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I already know how to crochet, but over the last week, I have added 7 dishrags to my kitchen with some spare yarn that I had around the house. I also taught my daughter to crochet. She is now working on making dishrags.

I love to crochet. It is a very relaxing hobby. Everyone is always asking me to crochet them a blanket. They make great christmas gifts!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  4:15:05 PM  Show Profile
Paula Black, (Sheepless in Seattle #2953) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Cleaning Up badge.

"I have been trying out different cleaning recipes that I have found on the internet or in books.

Using basic ingredients like washing soda, borax, essential oils, fels naptha soap, castile soap, vinegar I have made my own window cleaner, powdered laundry soap and all purpose cleaner."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  12:23:16 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger, (GrammyTammy #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Embroidery badge.

"I embroidered a set of pillowcases. I don't care for the vitamin ball patterns and did a set of towels for my intermediate level. I have embroidered all my badges.

I have a lot of fun embroidering."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  12:24:22 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger, (GrammyTammy #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an intermediate level Let's Get Physical badge.

"I have continued to eat healthily for several months. This includes limiting my exposure to white flour, white sugar, artificial ingredients and organically.

Sometimes it's hard and I have given in sometimes to some "goodies" that are not as healthy. Find I'm eating a lot of nuts and rasins as healthy snacks."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  12:25:54 PM  Show Profile
Alma Skates, (Skatear #4281) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I have knitted scarves but have never knitted a dish cloth. I had fun knitting this dish cloth and will be making more in the future.

I was very pleased with the results of this project."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page