Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  12:26:42 PM  Show Profile
Alma Skates, (Skatear #4281) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I crocheted a dish cloth in blue, because I had some blue cotton cord in my yarn basket. It was an ok project and now I have another dish cloth for my kitchen.

It turned out better than I had thought it would turn out. It was very colorful."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  12:27:52 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Harms, (LNaturals #4200) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I put together a beginner's sewing basket for my future step-granddaughter. She is 6 & loves craft's of all types.

I made a pin cushion & put the large headed pins in it. I have jars of odd buttons, so I used a baby food jars & filled it with many bright colorful buttons. Then added needles, 5 different colors of thread, 2 pairs of scissors, elastic & safety pins. I also included a tape measure & 3 scrapes of material for her to practice."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  12:29:02 PM  Show Profile
Alma Skates, (Skatear #4281) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"I took a metal button for the center of my brooch. I then took 8 white shell buttons and put them around the metal button putting a red dager bead between each white button. I then put a craft button (baby size) on top of the white buttons and circled the metal button with small seed pearls.

I was very pleased with the way this brooch turned out. I will be proud to wear it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  12:30:17 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Harms, (LNaturals #4200) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Scrapbooking badge.

"I made a scrapbook of my grandsons 1st birthday for my daughter. I had pictures of him in his new small swimming pool & new swim trunks & of course the duckies. We had cupcakes, balloons & bubbles!

This was a very hard scrapebook to make. My daughter & I used to scrapbook together a lot, but she had a stroke when she was in labor with my grandson. She still has right sided paralysis, so she isn't able to scrapbook. She cried when I gave it to her, but she had a huge smile also. "
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  12:31:02 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Harms, (LNaturals #4200) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I made a half apron from a pattern that I have. This pattern has a total of 5 different aprons to make! They are all so cute! I have always worn my apron in the kitchen.

I have an old apron that I have worn since I lived on the farm (1980's). It may be old, but it has seen a lot through the years. Since joining MJF I was inspired to make a few new ones for myself."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  12:32:10 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Harms, (LNaturals #4200) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Aprons badge.

"I have an apron pattern that has 5 different aprons to make. FUN!! (Both half & 3 types of full ones.) I made one with a ruffled bottom & 2 pockets. I love pockets! I wore my new apron to my daughters. We're trying to design one that she would be able to put on herself. She isn't able to with the one she has.

I love the ruffled bottom! The one I've had all these years doesn't have any, (it really is quite plain,) but I'm starting to decorate it up. I put my Henrietta badge on it!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  12:33:10 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Harms, (LNaturals #4200) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

"I make my own granola. It taste so much better & to know it doesn't have any preservatives or other stuff they put into it!

Here is my granola recipe: (Organic)

2 1/2c. uncooked oats
1/2c. packed br. sugar
1/4c. wheat germ
1/4c. flax seed
2 TB. chia seeds
1/3c. honey
1/3c. melted butter
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanila
Combine all ingrediants together. Place on an ungreased cake pan. Bake 350* for 20 min. Stir occasionally."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  12:34:35 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an intermediate level Woman-at-Arms badge.

"We built a back-stop on our property for practice shooting.

I have spent over a year target shooting with a hand gun and a shotgun. We are looking into a nearby rifle range to start shooting a .22

We may even invest in a bow for hunting deer as well."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  12:36:00 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen, (texdane #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Lend a Hand to Farm Families badge.

"Yesterday, my daughter and I spent the day helping my friend and farmer, A.J., at her farm in our town. She is a goat and llama farmer.

First we helped milk a goat. Her goats are so sweet and gentle, miniature ones that are knee-high. They act like puppies or cats, they are so affectionate. We also played with the new babies, to help them get used to being around humans (hard work, that task, hee hee). We brushed out the llamas and scrubbed and filled all the water stations. We helped socialize some of the newer llamas, and learned that it is a sign of a llama challenging your authority if he gets "too much in your face". We feed the animals. I also helped load hay into the tractor and stack the bales in the barn.

Wonderful. Helping friends out is what friends do. It was good for my daughter, too. She got to help some older, highschool freshmen girls out who are doing an internship for their community service requirement in school. My daughter wants to be a vet when she grows up and this is good experience."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  12:37:25 PM  Show Profile
Darla Armstrong, (cowgirlup21 #4391) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I live one hour from any store. I have placed cooler bags and regular grocery bags. I have to have them in the car and am committing to using them when I go shopping.

They will turn out great and reduce the waste and clutter in the land fills."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  12:38:37 PM  Show Profile
Mandi Wright, (#3643) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"This is one I actually did a few years ago. We were having difficulties w/ our garden, so I started researching compost piles. I decided to start a compost heap on our property, which was something I had always been curious about :)

It was great! Something about working it and turning it was soothing to me, but also I was so glad to do something w/ our organic kitchen scraps rather than throw them in the garbage! It turned out great! We currently do not have a "heap" b/c our dogs would constantly dig through it (we now have a compost bin instead), but it was a fabulous experience!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  12:39:57 PM  Show Profile
Jodi Chen, (Prairie Princess #4440) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Birds badge.

"Being new to the state of California, this Merit Badge has been the perfect start to identifying unfamiliar bird species! To complete the requirements of researching native birds & making a wish list of birds I'd like to observe in the wild here, I started by finding and printing a complete list of birds found in California. Then I spent almost three hours using this list in conjunction with National Geographic's "Field Guide to the Birds of Western North America". I'd find species that are native to my area, read the description on their plumage, habitat & calls. As I went along, I hand wrote a list of birds I'd like to spot/identify in the wild.

I ended up with four pages -- over 100 birds! I can't wait to complete the next two levels to this badge as I build some backyard habitats and plan bird watching excursions to start seeing birds on my wish list!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  10:34:18 AM  Show Profile
Thelma Adams, (Thelma #3568) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Farmgirl Shutterbugs badge.

"I went to my local libraries and studied a few books with photos in them. No particular photographer's work was of interest to me. What I do like is Mary Jane's photos, photos from country magazines, calendar photos, and photos taken by local artists. This past 3 months I have been learning how to get the most out of my new Nikon by taking over 400 pictures (not all of them keepers). If you look on pages 322 - 325 of farmgirls over 50 chat you can see 10 of my pictures. Instead of finding a book on photography I studied my camera manual, watched a Nikon CD, and took notes at the county fair for the 4H photography judge.

I think that I have come a long way and learned a lot this summer. Portraits are my least desirable subjects, but I love outside shots of birds, flowers, and rural Iowa shots."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  10:35:39 AM  Show Profile
Thelma Adams, (Thelma #3568) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Crochet badge.

"Using Mary Jane's stitching room book (pages 122 - 139) I practiced new crochet stitches. I have wanted a soft cotton shawl/throw for summer use, but have been unsuccessful in finding anything close to what I wanted. I decided to crochet one. I used peaches and cream blue verigated yarn and a size K hook. I used a half double crochet (HDC).
I am not ready to teach others how to crochet by myself, but several women from my church are making baby blankets for charity and we work together in small groups helping each other become successful stitchers.

I now have a shawl/throw that is light weight, but keeps out the cool air when I go places where air conditioners are pushed up to high for my comfort zone."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  10:36:38 AM  Show Profile
Thelma Adams, (Thelma #3568) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Safe Toys badge.

"I am a retired teacher of special needs students. Over the years I have invented many games and activities involving the use of bean bags. One day I was visiting in a nursing home and realized that my mother-in-law was having trouble keeping her puzzle book open. I want home and made her and her friends some long slender beanbags to hold open their pages. I added small pockets where they could keep a small pen or some tissues. While I was at it I made 4 small beanbags for my grandchildren to use when we go on vacation. They will come in handy for roadside travel breaks.

The nursing home patients loved their gifts. I am glad that I took the time to make the bags."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  10:37:53 AM  Show Profile
Thelma Adams, (Thelma #3568) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"With drought conditions across the United States it probably wasn't the best year to try anything new like Heirloom Seeds. I planted varieties of cucumbers, tomatoes, corn, and a rose bush. The cucumbers are terrific. They have good flavor and I had plenty of cukes for fresh eating and canning. I'm not sure about the tomatoes. They are producing small sized fruit that doesn't have much flavor. Also I think they may have crossed with my regular tomatoes as I planted them in the same area. None of my corn varities was exceptional due to the high heat and lack of rain. The rose bush has bloomed all summer. The first blooms were dissapointing, but as summer moved slowely along the blooms improved. I am dissapointed that they have no odor.
I got the book Gardening with Heirloom Seeds by Lynn Coulter. I really enjoyed looking through this book. If I continue working with Heirlooms I will purchase the book in the future as it is packed with solid information.

I feel that I need to try again next year. I have kept good notes and will have data from 2012 for comparison in 2013."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  11:03:24 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level Gaining Ground badge.

"I actually have two types of composting bins at my house. After researching them, I purchased a Backdoor Kitchen Compost Tumbler and used it until the bears sent it down the hill too many times and it broke. We still use it, but we can't turn it, which makes it not so convenient.

Last year, I made a compost pile on my property using a three bin system separated by plastic fencing. The critters turn the pile nicely for me. Over the course of a year, I have gotten 15 gallons of black gold from it. How do I know? I carried each one of those suckers up the hill to my garden!

Also last year, I helped a good friend in Atlanta start a compost pile and they finally have seen the results of it. They were so excited! It wasn't much, but it was a start.

My community does not have a Master Composting class available and I wrote a letter to the editor of one of our papers about it. Maybe some day we will have one. The picture is of my square foot garden where the compost went."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  11:05:08 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level Gaining Ground badge.

"I checked with our extension office and with the recycling center, and our county does not offer a Master Composting class. I wish we did, but we are a small area and therefore it's not likely that we will ever get one here.

Because I couldn't go a master composting class, I did read the book "Secrets to great Soil: A Grower's Guide to Composting, Mulching, and Creating Healthy, Fertile Soil for your Lawn and Garden" by Elizabeth P. Stell. It had a lot of great ideas in it and I learned a lot.

I donated the book to our local Farmgirl's library for other sisters to read and I taught a class on composting."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  11:06:05 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Birds badge.

"I am lucky in that there are a whole lot of birds that are native to my area. These include goldfinches, titmice, bluebirds, sparrows, cardinals, chicadees, nuthatches and more. When I was growing up, our family fed the birds and had friendly contests of who could see the new birds first.

I finally saw a purple finch and a red breasted grosbeak. Those are beautiful birds, and it was such a thrill to me to run to the bird book to see what the names of the birds were. I still have others on my list and I hope to be able to identify them in my yard someday."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  11:06:55 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level Birds badge.

"There are actually two birdbaths in my yard that I made for my flying friends. One is a concrete store-bought kind that I keep in front of my bee hives for my girls, and the other is a whiskey barrel that I set up with a dish on top, heated for winter and with a mister for the summer.

The reason I put it on a whiskey barrel is so that my one cat can jump up and get a drink of water. He evidently jumped up on the regular one and must have landed in the water, which didn't set well with him. After that, he would reach his paw up to get water on it to drink. So I took pity on him and made it where he could easily get to it.

I also made hummingbird feeders to go outside for when they come in the Spring. Many of our birds are year-round residents, but the hummers, of course, come here to raise their young, and then go back to South America for the Winter.

I love to watch them chase each other around and occasionally the ladies will all get tired enough that they will drink together on the feeder. Then they're off and at it again."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  11:47:24 AM  Show Profile
Linda Van Ausdell, (vanavista #4347) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I've been collecting buttons for a long time. When my grandmother was alive I would paw through them and string them for hours. She gave her buttons to my mother and she gave them to me. I also taught an elderly lady to quilt, she passed and left her button collection to me. More recently, I found a baggie full of great buttons at an estate sale and last weekend at a quilt show I found a booth with handmade buttons. I'm always on the lookout for a button treasure!

I get a lot of pleasure hunting for my buttons. I started collecting buttons when I was young and will keep collecting as long as I'm able. I think my collection is turning out great!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  11:50:39 AM  Show Profile
Linda Van Ausdell, (vanavista #4347) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge.

"I love to embroider. I've made everything from quilts to wall-hangings. I made a basic stitch sampler that my girlfriend designed to teach different stitches.

I like it a lot! It was very easy and a good pattern to teach someone how to embroider. I don't know if you can see the stitches clearly, but there are about 60 french knots that form the cherries. You will never forget how to make the perfect french knot! More embroidery to come!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  2:22:25 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer, (dmeyer #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Lend a Hand to Farm Families badge.

"My neighbor, Tammi, had to go to Texas for her job. She left on June 18, 2012 and is still there. I have been feeding and watering her dogs(Bo, Alley) for her each day. I am also feeding, watering, and haying her horse, Cricket.

The dogs and horse now meet me at the yard gate each day when I go over to take care of them. I found out that Cricket loves apples.:)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  2:23:41 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer, (dmeyer #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I started my gratitude journal on 4-19-12 and I am still writing in it even though I was only supposed to do it for a month for this badge. I also read "The Book of Awesome" by Neil Pasricha.

Keeping the journal helps me to find something to appreciate each day even if my day is not going good."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  2:24:22 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer, (dmeyer #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Blogging badge.

"I read the book- Blogging for Bliss by Tara Frey. I had no idea how to blog but this book helped me find lots of ideas to use when blogging.

I started my blog site. http://countrygirlforever-deborah.blogspot.com"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page