Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  2:30:29 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Farmgirl Grammar badge.

"For this badge I started by reading the book Eats, Shoots and Leaves. It turned out to be a delightfully entertaining book about punctuation. I wish that some of my English teachers and professors had given this much fun to my schooling. I perhaps would be not near as scared of the semicolon. I also wrote a note to my local newspaper, the York Daily Record. I also kept a record of the two weeks of words on my computer.

I hope now that I have the courage to use punctuation that I was once a bit scared of. I also hope to get a response to my letter to the newspaper. One of my favorite words was the last word, that was nary, which means not any; never a. The word seems like it is lost in time. But I dare say now, I will make sure that nary shall be spoken again… at least in my home."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  2:31:29 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Greatest Generation badge.

"This past weekend I was able to spend much time with both of my grandmothers. I was so very excited for this because the one lives in Florida six months of the year. We played our old favorite card games and talked much about how both of our lives had changed. She was even dating again, since my grandfather passed away seven years ago now. My other grandma was doing wonderfully; she now lives at my mom’s home, due to a broken hip a few months ago.

Family is one of the biggest things in my life. I would never know what to do if they were never around. I treasure my grandmothers, both in different ways and I hold their values dear to my heart."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  2:32:08 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Birds badge.

"I started by researching some birds of my area. I of course started to make my wishlist with the American Robin and the Moutain Bluebird. I also started to think about what I might not see on a daily basis. I dove deeper into the birds and found the Le Conte Sparrow, White Breasted Nuthatch, American Three-Toed Woodpecker, Carolina Chickadee, and the Black Vulture.

Doing my research was a wonderful experience and I am excited to move on with this badge. As long I do not have to get too close, I am a bit scared of birds."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  2:32:52 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I found a wonderful place to purchase local meat from. My family can really taste the difference in it. We purchased some meat from a local box store to brown and feed to our dogs and my husband was amazed at how unnatural it smelled and cooked.
I also read “Beef: The Untold Story of How Milk, Meat, and Muscle Shaped the World.” I never understood how much cows had an impact on the well being of humanity throughout history. It almost feels like there should have been some mention of this information in my social studies classes growing up.

My family is now very thankful that we purchase from the local meat person and no longer from the big box store. Also my children are a bit young at the moment, but when they are older, I want them to know how important the meat industry has been to our lives and those lives in the past."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  2:33:43 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Ink Slinger badge.

"To earn this badge I wrote a short little story about Superman. It was simple and sweet, about how he was unable to program his VCR and Lois had to step in to help him. “The Elements of Style” was a wonderful refresher course on writing.

I love writing and I love writing things about people of the DC Universe. I think that bringing the superheroes to a more human level is what attracts me to it. The book helped me to refine my writing and hopefully take it to a new level. My good friend Tank went over my document and made some great points of it to help the short story along."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  4:21:49 PM  Show Profile
Alma Skates, (skatear #4281) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have always loved buttons. I have a jar that I throw buttons into as I remove them from old clothing that I put into my into my rag bag.

I have a jar full and also a ziplock bag full."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  11:50:27 AM  Show Profile
Thelma Adams, (Thelma #3568) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Scrapbooking badge.

"My granddaughter has been taking dance lessons for tap, jazz, and this year added clogging. I attend her recitals and have a box full of pictures. For her birthday I decided to organize everything into a scrapbook. I left some pictures 4"x6" and cut some into smaller shapes. I added information like the year, the class level and the song titles she danced to. I also tried to add pictures of all the flowers she got on recital day.

When she unwrapped her album at her birthday party she was elated. It became a "pass-a-round" and everyone said it was lovely. I personally was very pleased with the results and am already working on another album."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  11:54:47 AM  Show Profile
Connie Cowan, (SisterSue #4283) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

"We love crackers! So I made farmhouse crackers for my first recipe from the BudgetMix.
I used completely organic ingredients (butter, balsamic vinegar etc) and even the egg for the wash was from our own chickens who are organically fed.

We love them! I made half a batch with parmesan and cracked pepper, and the othr batch with the egg wash and sea salt. I plan to roll them a little thinner next time, and cook a little longer to crisp them up, but these are yummy!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  11:56:03 AM  Show Profile
Madison Hamby, (presmom #3930) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I made a quilted cover for my nook color, It took me 7 hours to complete.

I think it turned out great!! Very portable, stylish, and accessible. "

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  12:00:24 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race, (Simply Satisfied #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Carp-hen-try badge.

"I decided for this badge to install some shelves along the top of a storage closet to improve how I could utilize the space. I had my books stacked two deep in a bookshelf which let them fit but it was harder to find a specific book that way.

I also read "Dare to Repair". This gave me many more projects to work on. As I read each chapter I naturally had to decide if it applied to my house and did I need to fix whatever I was reading about.

The shelves are great. By installing them I managed to get all my books out of the bookshelf. I did have to go back to the store to get more shelves once because I had more books that I thought. The bookshelf now is available to hold our linens which were formerly stacked on the floor. The storage closet is only four feet tall or so and I have to climb into it to get anything out so having it organized definitely helps."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  12:01:50 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race, (Simply Satisfied #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an intermediate level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"This badge says disconnect with some farmgirl friends but I don't actually have any nearby. I do have a great family so hopefully they can fill in. We went camping for two nights. No electronics, we were in our 1994 trailer but nothing fancy. (I do hope to make it a little more on the gleaming side of things soon.) We hiked, looking for flowers and teaching our daughters the names of the flowers. We tried fishing but the water was too fast and high still. We had campfires and cooked dinners and of course s'mores over the fire.

The best part of the trip was when we showed our daughters a flower that is fairly rare here called a fairy slipper. Of course our five year old said, "Where is the other one?" it took me a second then I realized what she meant. Luckily the fairy that had worn them left one nearby. When she saw a second one our daughter decided fairies were pretty lazy not placing their slippers near each other. Then decided that this area was their home while another spot she found was the fairies's garden. We had such fun looking for evidence of fairies and their slippers for the rest of the trip. We even found enough Morrell mushrooms for a great side dish of sautéed mushrooms. It couldn't have been better enjoying nature and showing our children what is really great in life."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  12:02:47 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race, (Simply Satisfied #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"I read "Gardening with Heirloom Seeds" early this spring to help me pick out seeds I would like to grow. I also looked through various websites for heirloom seeds that I thought could manage to grow in our quick summer. Then I spent a little money and got a little dirty. I think I planted around 80% heirlooms this spring. A little more than required but I didn't see why more was a bad thing so I switched over pretty much whole heartedly.

The radishes were great. The carrots are growing well but not ready yet. The heirloom tomato plants are currently outgrowing the regular old tomatoes. The bush beans got planted a little early so they had a setback with a few hard frosts but seem to be keeping up with a second planting we did just in case. The lettuce is great and I am hoping a second crop growing in the shade will succeed for a little later and not get too hot. So far a great success. I am coaxing my yellow cucumbers along it they just looked so much prettier than the regular old cukes that I had to try them."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  12:04:03 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Mackey, (Jen Mackey #4218) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I disposed of all my store bought cleaners. I developed my household mission statement. I am keeping a "recipe" book for my green cleaners.

I turned out wonderful. I feel like I'm helping the environment and my own household. "

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  12:05:44 PM  Show Profile
Tracy Gambrell, (geotracer #1088) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Green Energy badge.

"Consumers energy gererates power with fossil fuels, coal, natural gas, oil and nuclear hydro renweable resources.

I think for right now the fossil fuels are the ones available but I think the hydro and renewable energy with the wind farm is the way of the future.

I didn't know they had so many different ways to generate energy.
I am glad they are looking to the future with the wind farm."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  12:52:46 PM  Show Profile
Tracy Gambrell, (geotracer #1088) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Water Conservation badge.

"We checked the sinks for leaks and we changed sink handles so the faucet stopped leaking.

I try to conserve water by turning off the faucet when brushing teeth.

I collected 1 bucket of water.

I didn't realize it wasted that much water, I am going to get a rain barrel for outside."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  12:53:38 PM  Show Profile
Tracy Gambrell, (geotracer #1088) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Action badge.

"The road conditions have been an issue. Monroe County would maintain roads.

It is good to know where to look if I need information about road conditions."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  12:55:15 PM  Show Profile
Tracy Gambrell, (geotracer #1088) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Connecting Growers and Eaters badge.

"I volunteered to work in my mother's garden.

I got it cleaned out and it looks better."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  12:56:11 PM  Show Profile
Tracy Gambrell, (geotracer #1088) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Spirit badge.

"I had my mother and daughter over to show them my projects.

They are glad I found an outlet for creative projects."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  12:56:56 PM  Show Profile
Tracy Gambrell, (geotracer #1088) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Know Your Roots badge.

"My mother and I had gotten these books by Thomas Kinkade, "Mother's Memories To Her Child" and "Grandmother's Memories To Her Child". We filled them out and had a dinner to talk about our past.

It was a good way to get started, topics would flow to the next, and my daughter would have the books to keep."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  12:57:39 PM  Show Profile
Tracy Gambrell, (geotracer #1088) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Forage for Food badge.

"I looked up on livingafield.com for edible plants in Michigan.

I got more books at the library. It is fun to learn about this."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  12:58:23 PM  Show Profile
Tracy Gambrell, (geotracer #1088) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Pay It Forward badge.

"I spend $10 a day on meals at work, so I brown bagged it and gave the money to church to help with the foodbank donation.

It made me more aware of how much I am spending on food."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  12:59:24 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Jean, (Laurie Jean #4200) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I just finished making 3 new bags for my groceries. Two of them I made out of mesh for my veggies. I received 2 new reuasable bags from the CSA program this year. I have 8 other reusable bags plus 2 that are insulated for perishable foods. I have used reusable bags for a few years now.

I have a special bag that I made & use when I go to the farmers market. It has lots of pockets too!! I love my bags!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  1:55:27 PM  Show Profile
Lindsay James, (#4317) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Cross-Stitch badge.

"I've always wanted to try cross stitching since it looked relaxing when my granny did it, so, I got a pattern from the internet to make a bookmark. I thought it would be simple since it was just a bookmark...but 3000 stitches, and 57 colors later, I was wondering about my choice. Nevertheless, I managed to get 'er done. Can't wait to give it to my friend for her birthday!

I think it looks great. I had some trouble figuring out how I was going to finish the edges, but I ended up sewing a ribbon onto the aida and then flipping it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  2:01:38 PM  Show Profile
Tracy Gambrell, (geotracer #1088) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Rocks and Minerals badge.

"The difference between rocks and minerals is that a rock is composed of minerals. A mineral is a naturally occurring crystalline solid of atoms.

5 characteristics of a mineral: solid, inorganic, natural occurring, definite chemical composition, and definite crystal structure.

Three types of rocks: igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic.

Used for fluorescent lamps, copper wire plumbing, diamond cutting tools, graphite pencils...

I found a lot of uses for rocks and minerals I wasn't aware of. "
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  2:03:22 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Witko, (Annielaurel #2301) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an intermediate level Make It Pretty badge.

"In the last 3 months I have drawn and painted 5 pictures. I have taught myself the use of watercolor and acrylic paints.

Also I have visited 2 art museums, one in the local area and one in Jacksonville.

I am rather proud and happy with my paintings. I have received some positive comments and really enjoy the art.

I loved the local museum the best. We have some wonderful artists in this area and the museum has a great group of art from the various media."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page