Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  1:46:37 PM  Show Profile
Angela Landis, (QueenBee Angela #3795) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Woman-at-Arms badge.

"My daughter and I enrolled in and completed a hunters education course in November, as she was wanting to begin hunting with the family. While I had hunted in the past, I decided a refresher was needed as well.

My daughter has fallen in love with shooting sports, and the whole family is enjoying our time outdoors. It seems she is a natural, and was just offered a sponsorship by a local gun shop for local tournaments and training. Woot!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  2:11:01 PM  Show Profile
Deserae Emmett, (deserae #3021) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I collected six reusable shopping bags to bring with me to the market. I like using them because they hold up better than the paper or plastic bags you would receive otherwise.

I committed to keeping these under the back seat of my pickup so they are always there when I go to the store. To remind myself to grab the bags before I went into the store, I would write a reminder in bright colored ink at the top of my grocery list."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  2:18:55 PM  Show Profile
Deserae Emmett, (deserae #3021) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I researched how to make my own household cleaners on the internet. I used the website www.tipnut.com to find recipes for the following:
Sink/Shower/Toilet Cleaner (similar to a soft scrub)
Laundry Soap
Oven Cleaner
Window Cleaner
Laminate Floor Cleaner
All of these recipes are made from basic ingredients and do not contain any toxic chemicals.

I made the recipe for the oven cleaner to see if it would remove black stains from the inside. It worked for the most part but needed old fashioned elbow grease. I like the idea of using a homemade cleaner for my oven to keep chemicals away from where I make my meals."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  2:20:30 PM  Show Profile
Deserae Emmett, (deserae #3021) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"My love for buttons started at an early age. Most I have inherited from my grandmother. Some I have from my mother and others I have picked up at garage and auction sales. Others I have just found out of luck in random places.

I emptied the jar on my table and started browsing through the buttons. Some I recognized from old shirts and others were a mystery as to where I got them from."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  2:21:19 PM  Show Profile
Deserae Emmett, (deserae #3021) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I used a simple half apron pattern I found in my mother’s pattern box. The whole project took a little over two and a half hours to complete.

I was pleased with the way the apron turned out. It was challenging pulling the binding on the bottom to give it a finished look because of the curved edges. I added a ribbon and rickrack pocket for fun."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  2:22:16 PM  Show Profile
Deserae Emmett, (deserae #3021) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Aprons badge.

"This pattern was one that my mother had. This pattern took me about three and a half hours to complete. This one was more challenging because I had to gather the bottom when sewing it to the top of the apron. To give it more detail I added the contrasting strip to the bottom and rickrack for extra flare. I wore this one to my mother’s house when I did my Christmas baking.

This apron is fitted just for me! I like the way it fits and the pockets come in handy to hold odds and ends when I am cleaning or in the kitchen."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  2:23:17 PM  Show Profile
Deserae Emmett, (deserae #3021) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I put together a basic sewing kit from a larger kit of mine to keep in my purse. I covered all the essentials like scissors, needles, pins, buttons, thread, and a thimble.

This kit will come in handy when camping or on the go."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  2:24:31 PM  Show Profile
Deserae Emmett, (deserae #3021) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I visited the website www.eatwild.com and read about how grass fed beef differs from commercially raised beef. I like to know what goes into my food and how it is raised before I decide to eat it. Grass fed cattle are healthier because they are in their natural environment, grazing as they should be. It is not only better for the animal itself but grass fed cattle are more nutritious. For example, if you purchase a pound of ground beef from a chain grocery store and a pound from your local butcher, you will even be able to see and smell the difference when you brown it in a pan. Grass fed is leaner and has less fat to drain after being cooked and the taste of grass fed is amazing.

I was raised in a house that bought grass fed beef cows for butcher and I still eat home-raised beef. For me, it’s definitely the taste difference."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  2:25:28 PM  Show Profile
Deserae Emmett, (deserae #3021) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Birds badge.

"South Dakota Game Fish and Parks is an excellent website for information on bird watching. I found a list of native birds and different trails to spot birds. http://gfp.sd.gov/to-do/birdwatching/default.aspx

I narrowed the list down on the Game Fish and Parks website to birds that I haven’t seen before. I printed off the checklist and have committed to keeping it handy. I included a photo of a robin's nest in our grapevines."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  2:58:19 PM  Show Profile
Patty Byrd, (thebyrdhaus #1840) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Carp-hen-try badge.

"I put wheels on a wall cabinet and a hinged top and created an ironing board from it. It adds storage and a more convenient ironing board taking up less room.
I purchased the book "Dare to Repair" and am so excited. I have started my "To Do Repairs" list and now will feel confident that I can accomplish them.

My cabinet and how I built it can be found on my blog at http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/2012/02/it-stores-it-rolls-and-i-can-iron-on-it.html

I love the cabinet and it's convenience. It is all I wanted it to be."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  2:59:24 PM  Show Profile
Patty Byrd, (thebyrdhaus #1840) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Going Green badge.

"I make all my own soaps and cleaning products. I have started my journey toward "Greener" cleaning. I have taken a pledge to do my part in creating a healthy clean environment.

I started making all my cleaning products in July of 2011 and have continued. I gifted a recipe book for cleaning products to numerous friends now with the ingredients to encourage green cleaning.

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/2011/07/healthy-and-green-living.html "
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  3:04:00 PM  Show Profile
Patty Byrd, (thebyrdhaus #1840) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I have researched many ways to clean my house green. I make my own laundry soap using borax, washing soda and bar soap. I also use vinegar as an alternative in the rinse cycle for fabric softener. In the dryer I have made wool dryer balls.

I love the result. My clothes are clean, fresh and soft. The costs are low and nice for our family budget."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  3:17:28 PM  Show Profile
Elaine Drane, (Lainey Lou #3848) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Fishing badge.

"I looked up the various knots on line and practiced tying them until I was able to do them easily.

They turned out just fine."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  3:18:11 PM  Show Profile
Elaine Drane, (Lainey Lou #3848) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an intermediate level Fishing badge.

"I went to Wal-mart ang obtained my license. I checked out the fish that are caught in the local area and then I looked online and at the library to see the different types of bait and ways of fishing for the fish. I also talked to several people about their secrets to catching the big one and got some old timer recipes for catching catfish.

It turned out great. Some of our old fishermen are some really funny guys around here. They are all old flirts and want to show you how to fish with them too! That's when I tell them my husband and I will probably see them next time we are out there!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  3:18:45 PM  Show Profile
Elaine Drane, (Lainey Lou #3848) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an expert level Fishing badge.

"Today I went fishing and I caught 3 crappie, several brim, a log perch and a catfish. I could have kept some of them but I prefer not to eat what I catch from this lake (Alatoona) and released them all back to get bigger.

It turned out great!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  3:59:39 PM  Show Profile
Jenny Schmidt, (djschmidtsj #3485) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"Last April (2011), we purchased 8 chicks and have taken care of them to maturity. We feed our girls "Scratch and Peck" local, organic feed and let them roam the backyard.

Two ended up being roo's so I listed them on Craigslist to give them a chance to live. When no one took them, I learned to butcher them. This is something I never thought I'd be able to do, but I did it! The last two girls of our flock started laying a few weeks ago and we love gathering the multi-colored eggs. Our kids make money by selling extras to the neighbors."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  4:05:30 PM  Show Profile
Jenny Schmidt, (djschmidtsj #3485) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge.

"I joined the Daughters of the American Revolution and began a community service scrapbook.

I paged for state and national conferences, did genealogy research for other members, took charge of the "Good Citizens" Essay Contest for our chapter and sent Box Tops and Labels for Education to DAR supported schools. I learned a lot and made new friends. Total time given was way over 10 hours."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  4:06:57 PM  Show Profile
Jenny Schmidt, (djschmidtsj #3485) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Community Service badge.

"I signed up to be the leader for my daughters Girl Scout Daisy Troop. Two and a half years later, I am still the leader and our troop is stronger than ever before. Total time given is way over 20 hours.

I love my time with my daughter and her friends. We've gone to camps, made friends, been in parades, learned new things and I've learned how to manage a troop including parents. I've signed up new families and volunteered at the Unit level. Our girls are currently learning about money management and people skills while selling cookies."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  4:07:54 PM  Show Profile
Jenny Schmidt, (djschmidtsj #3485) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Know Your Roots badge.

"I've talked with each living member of both my husbands and my families and put together an extensive family tree on Ancestry.com. Then I spoke with my husband's son's to be wife and shared our family information with her.

We learned about family members who have since passed away and learned where our families came from. It's been a wonderful experience!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  4:08:37 PM  Show Profile
Jenny Schmidt, (djschmidtsj #3485) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Know Your Roots badge.

"After compiling stories from our family members, scanning photo's and sending away for birth/death/marriage certifictes of our family,I put together a family tree on Ancestry.com. I also traveled to the Library of Congress and DAR Library to copy some family information in the records there.

We've connected to some long lost family members, and learned so many new things about where we came from. My husbands grandfather even learned that he was born with a different name."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  4:09:36 PM  Show Profile
Jenny Schmidt, (djschmidtsj #3485) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have more than six reusable shopping for shopping.

At first I would forget to bring them in the store, but have trained myself to always bring them in, and more than I think I'll need."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  4:11:36 PM  Show Profile
Jenny Schmidt, (djschmidtsj #3485) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"We joined our local CSA for the Summer Session.

We tried all kinds of new organic foods and had to learn how to cook and eat the foods we'd never used before. It was tons of fun!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  4:12:30 PM  Show Profile
Jenny Schmidt, (djschmidtsj #3485) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Bustin' Out badge.

"We joined our local organic CSA for the Summer 2011 session.

We went to the fields and learned how to pick different crops, how things grow and learned how to prepare foods we'd never even heard of before. We did this from May to October. It was awesome!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  4:13:25 PM  Show Profile
Jenny Schmidt, (djschmidtsj #3485) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Recipes badge.

"I've been compiling recipes from our famiy since I got engaged in 1998.

I love being able to re-create recipes I had as a child. Family members have even sent me recipes from my Grandmother and Great-Grandmother. I'm so glad I wrote down a few recipes from a beloved friend before she died."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  4:14:13 PM  Show Profile
Jenny Schmidt, (djschmidtsj #3485) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Recipes badge.

"I wrote all our family and all time favorite recipes in a journal book and keep it in the kitchen. I also helped our family print a cookbook with family recipes in it for the area where we have our cabin.

The books are treasures and we gave copies to our family for Christmas gifts."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page