Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  4:15:11 PM  Show Profile
Jenny Schmidt, (djschmidtsj #3485) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I put together a sewing kit including all required materials.

I bring it with me on trips when I know I'll have time to sew or "just in case"."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  4:15:55 PM  Show Profile
Jenny Schmidt, (djschmidtsj #3485) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I sewed a half apron for my daughter and embroidered it. I always wear my apron while cooking.

She loved it! It matches a dress I made for her."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  4:16:49 PM  Show Profile
Jenny Schmidt, (djschmidtsj #3485) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Aprons badge.

"I made a full apron for Christmas and wore it to my neighbors.

Great! It took longer than I expected, but I like how it looks. I added lace and a button."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  4:17:37 PM  Show Profile
Jenny Schmidt, (djschmidtsj #3485) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Safe Toys badge.

"I sewed 9 bean bags for 6 children in my life using scraps from my fabric stash. One was purchased specifically for one of the children at a fabric store and he helped me make it.

They turned out great!! The kids loved them and they are so easy to make and bring along. I found that using popcorn kernels worked better than beans in case one ends up in the laundry by accident."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  4:18:24 PM  Show Profile
Jenny Schmidt, (djschmidtsj #3485) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Safe Toys badge.

"I sewed three dolls and a little dollhouse family. One for my daughter, two of her friends, and one for a friend's 40th birthday.

It was a challenge working on the dollhouse family because their parts are so small. The larger dolls were easier and I embroidered their faces on. My daughter loves her "Emily". :-)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  4:19:24 PM  Show Profile
Jenny Schmidt, (djschmidtsj #3485) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I sewed a baby-sized quilt for my new nephew using the four patch pattern and vintage style fabric.

It turned out great! I got it done just in time for Christmas and made a matching pillowcase to go with it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  4:20:13 PM  Show Profile
Jenny Schmidt, (djschmidtsj #3485) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Quilting badge.

"I made a baby quilt using the log cabin pattern and jewel tone fabrics. The goal was to only use fabrics from my stash. The girl this was for has the name Holly, so holly leaves were quilted into the border. I worked on this quilt at the same time I was doing a block swap with some quilting friends.

It was a challenge trying to figure out the best fabrics to use together and the best layout for this pattern. I finished it though and am pleased with the results. This was one busy project year! The recipient liked it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  4:21:04 PM  Show Profile
Jenny Schmidt, (djschmidtsj #3485) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Quilting badge.

"This quilt is a log cabin pattern using warm and cool colors. It was inspired from a quilt a friend made in California and was part of a block swap. I learned how to make "wonky stars" with this one and how to do log cabin spiral placements. (I also know how to do applique, paper piecing, etc. but didn't use it on this project). I taught more than 5 people how to quilt and how to use different techniques.

I worked on this quilt for over a year and practically went blind trying to get the right block placement for the spiral pattern. It's hard getting the colors to look right when the quilt is so large and the colors are so varied. I love the turnout though and got second place in the "Traditional- All Others" category in my quilt guild show this year. I've entered this quilt in my state D.A.R American Heritage Fiber Arts contest. We'll see how it does!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  4:22:08 PM  Show Profile
Jenny Schmidt, (djschmidtsj #3485) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have a button collection and keep it in a vintage jar. Some were bought, some were gifts, some were salvaged from clothes and some were found. Definitely over 50 buttons.

I like looking at it and it always comes in handy for projects that need embellishment, clothes missing a button, or just for tactile stimulation for my kids. :-)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  4:23:31 PM  Show Profile
Jenny Schmidt, (djschmidtsj #3485) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Scrapbooking badge.

"I made a scrapbook for my best friend for her birthday. Her grandmother gave me pictures and recipes and told me stories before she passed away and I included them in the album for her to look at. It's an album of her family since her family (except her grandmother) isn't very interested in their history.

She loved it and I had a great time putting everything together. The look on her face was priceless and I feel great about helping to preserve her family history."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  09:43:01 AM  Show Profile
Victoria Montoya, (EastTXFarmgirl #549) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Birds badge.

"There are more than 600 species of birds in Texas. More kinds of birds have been found in Texas than any other state in the United States. After an extensive search of native birds in my area, I narrowed my ‘wish list to see’ to the 30 most common birds of East Texas. My list includes: Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Morning Dove, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, Pileated Woodpecker, Red-headed Woodpecker, Blue Jay, Northern Cardinal, Northern Mockingbird, American Robin, Great Blue Heron, American Crow, Greater Roadrunner, Red-tailed Hawk, Brown-headed Nuthatch, Red-winged Blackbird, Yellow-headed
Blackbird, Tufted Titmouse, Carolina Chickadee, House Finch, American Goldfinch, Pine Warbler, Baltimore Oriole, Indigo Bunting, Wilson's Warbler, Eastern Bluebird, Carolina Wren, Bewick’s Wren, Bachman's Sparrow, Barn Swallow.

I love to watch birds in the garden and I have a yard full of bird baths, feeders and houses. I have to be honest though, I never have been much on identifying them. There are some I know just because you can’t help but. Some that I can identify like the Ruby-throated Hummingbird or the red-headed woodpecker. Then there are those I can’t say I have ever heard of like the Tufted Titmouse. I look forward to learning more about these birds and finding out just how many of them hang out right here in my own backyard."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  10:00:20 AM  Show Profile
Monica Baro, (Spookychick #3811) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I began keeping chickens on July 13th 2010. I sent away to a mail order company to obtain my day old chicks. I did a lot of research beforehand by reading “Raising Chickens for Dummies” by Robert T. Ludlow, “How to Raise Chickens: Everything You Need to Know” by Christine Heinrichs, “Storey’s Guide to Raising Chickens” by Gail Damerow, “Storey’s Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds” by Carol Ekarius, “Keeping Chickens: Getting the Best From Your Chickens” by Jeremy Hobson and Celia Lewis and “Chickens: Tending a Small-scale Flock for Pleasure and Profit" by Sue Weaver. I really took very good care of my little girls and am happy to say that they all grew to adult hens now. I have 7 Bantams, 3 are White Leghorns (Penny, Sweetie, and Little Cuckoo) 2 Buff Brahmas (Gertie and Mattie) 1 Silver Sebrite (Spooky) and 1 Gold Sebrite (Sabrina). In their 1st year of laying, they gave anywhere from 28 to 32 eggs per week! I gave the extra eggs to friends who said the flavor beats store bought. I also feed only Organic soy free layer feed, organic meal worms, Organic Scratch, and I grow Organic Wheat Grass and oats for my dear little ladies.

I never knew that little chickens could be so funny with their different personalities. My life has been enriched by keeping these wonderful creatures!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  10:01:35 AM  Show Profile
Monica Baro, (Spookychick #3811) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I have always wanted to sew, and it all started when I was a teenager. But back then I lacked the patience to follow patterns. I also lacked the proper tools. Well, 32 years later I decided to go to a local sewing shop & purchased my first sewing machine. This was in March 2011. The owner of the shop also gave lessons on how to use my brand of machine. She is a very knowledgeable lady who has been sewing for over 50 years! My 1st project was a tote bag, and since then, I have made about 5 totes. The next project was a half apron where instead of using the foot to do gathering, my teacher/shop owner taught me how to do gathering by hand. (I wanted to use the special foot attachment). I wear it proudly not only in the kitchen, but when I do housework too! I also made a 2nd half apron to give as a gift. My next project will be a full apron for me, and one for a friend of mine who gardens a lot.

The aprons turned out great! The 1st one I made with the guidance of my instructor, and the 2nd by myself!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  10:02:26 AM  Show Profile
Monica Baro, (Spookychick #3811) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I began this project today and I am sorry to say that none of the buttons were found, but bought from a craft store. I would like to say that when I got my button stash home, I was excited about sorting them by colors. I also purchased a special container to keep them in. There is quite a variety of buttons from small, medium, to large. Some that has odd shapes, to different finishes on them (shiny, glittery, and matte). I also have some that are in the shape of sparkly stars! Now I will be on the lookout for buttons that I can find in storage. My Dad passed away 3 years ago and I have some of his shirts that I can salvage buttons from. I eventually would like to make a quilt out of his old shirts and pajamas, some of them are from the 1960’s!

Pretty good. I think I have a new collecting hobby!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  10:25:13 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Witko, (annielaurel #2301) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I purchased tarp material from the hardware store and made grocery bags. I decorated them with embroidery designs some from a book and some of my own design. I used crayon for color also. I added ribbon on some and glued on decorations. I take these to the market whenever I go shopping. I keep them in my vehicle so they will always be handy.

I like it when people notice that I am using my bags. Because they are decorated I think they bring a little attention that I am being green. I actually like using the bags better than the plactic ones as they are much sturdier and easier to carry."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  10:26:08 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Witko, (annielaurel #2301) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Know Your Roots badge.

"I interviewed my mother and asked her questions about her childhood, young adult life as well as her later life. She told me many stories of her young years as a child in Arkansas and I wrote them down and put them in a spiral notebook along with some letters she wrote and the family tree she had written out. I also added her favorite songs and some other things she enjoyed. I put in a report card she had kept from her school when she was in 4th grade.

This turned out really nice. It will be a lovely thing to give to my children and grandchilren as a great memory and tribute to their grandmother and great grandmother who they were very lucky to have known. She lived to be 93 and I feel so blessed. I miss her a lot."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  10:45:16 AM  Show Profile
Chris Pruitt, (Chip #3669) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I have made quilted hot pads and a pretty table runner to match my apron and kitchen.

My husband thinks it's all too matchy, but I think it looks great."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  10:46:28 AM  Show Profile
Chris Pruitt, (Chip #3669) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I made several dishcloths for family as gifts and also taught my best friend to knit.

I don't think she liked it much as she holds her yarn very tightly and so it isn't easy to get the stitches to flow smoothly."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  10:47:21 AM  Show Profile
Chris Pruitt, (Chip #3669) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Aprons badge.

"I made a full apron out of cute garden fabric with a pocket and bias tape edges; I wore it to the drug store as well as to a friend's house. It took me 4 hrs to make.

Honestly, some people in the drug store looked at me a little funny. My friend didn't say a thing."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  10:48:13 AM  Show Profile
Chris Pruitt, (Chip #3669) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level First Aid badge.

"Each car & the Boy Scout troop I work with all have updated first aid kits. I check the smoke detectors at the beginning of every month and mark it on our kitchen calendar.

It's good to have the BSA first aid kits re-done for safety during our campouts."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  10:48:54 AM  Show Profile
Chris Pruitt, (Chip #3669) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"My husband has been after me to do this, so one morning I went through the cabinet and got rid of a lot. I re-purposed some to pen holders which I decorated and placed by our phones.

It looks really cool."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  11:26:28 AM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen, (texdane #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Bustin' Out badge.

"Wow! Can't believe I didn't apply for this until now. Since going organic, I have expanded and researched my food until my pantry hasn't got anything in it that isn't organic. I now know where to go for what, so that I can substitute organic versions of favorite "conventional" foods. My organic list now comprises spices, vinegars, condensed soup, dried beans....the list goes on.

This is no longer a "life changing" experience, but a "forever lifestyle". I keep being asked how I've avoided getting sick with all the viruses floating around, and I believe it is our organic lifestyle. I have blogged about it on the "Suburban Farmgirl" blog, been on a radio show, and converted many other friends and family to healthier, organic eating."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  11:28:05 AM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen, (texdane #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Recipes badge.

"I have been working on this with my family for some time, as they all live far away. My mother sent me many of her original copies of recipes from when I was growing up, as well as have swapped email with my dad on some that were his. I have recipes from my mom, dad, aunt, and grandmothers, as well as recipes from my husband's family in Denmark.

Love it. Recipes are a family's heritage!
I make sure to point out to my daughter when a recipe is something special from our heritage. It's been fun perfecting them! My family "expects" me to make at Christmas my grandmother's special cookie recipe from Greece. They all say no one can make them the way she did but me!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  11:29:02 AM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen, (texdane #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Recipes badge.

"To organize my recipes gathered from all of my family, I purchased a three-ring binder for the large pages, with page-protectors to slip the pages in, and index tabs for the various types of recipes. I want to make sure to protect them, as some of the pages are originals and very, very old. For the others, I have a traditional recipe box that is a basket recipe box made by Longerberger. The whole basket box with all the cards will someday be handed down to my daughter.

Great! To me, these recipes are cherised heirlooms. I have also given the recipes to my brother and sister-in-law, friends, and also posted several on the Suburban Farmgirl blog."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  11:29:42 AM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen, (texdane #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Recipes badge.

"My family is greatly spread out and we do not get to see each other often. However, I have been making my "heirloom" recipes for my family when they have visited. My parents have been divorced for over two decades, but when I have seen my brother or father, I have made recipes my mother used to make when I was a child. It makes me happy to see that we all do have some happy memories being together. I also have made and sent my grandmother's special cookies to each family member at Christmas.

One of my favorite things to do is to make many of the special family meals I had growing up for my danish in-laws when they come over to visit, and have also learned to make special meals my husband ate growing up in Denmark. It's been wonderful teaching my daughter how to cook these recipes, together as well. Nothing makes me happier than when I make a recipe and am told by a family member that I made it just like mom/grandma used to!"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page