Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2012 :  2:01:14 PM  Show Profile
Victoria Montoya, (EastTXFarmgirl #549) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Aprons badge.

"I thought I had already applied for this badge but none of my certificates show that I have. I actually completed this task last year. I entered an apron swap on MJF chatroom. I had two partners. I started with two dresses I had purchased at a yard sale. The aprons convert to totes. I called it my farmers market apron. You can wear your apron while at the farmers market or working in the garden, what have you. And when time to gather things to come in or to tote produce simply take off the apron, tuck the bib into the inside large pocket, remove the handles from the smaller pockets and you have your tote.

Very simple idea. No frills but very workable."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2012 :  2:02:39 PM  Show Profile
Victoria Montoya, (EastTXFarmgirl #549) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Let's Get Physical badge.

"I started Weight Watchers in August 2011. Not only has keeping a food journal become an important part of daily life so has exercise. I had never been a big exercise person. I always thought that my daily activities were enough. They were not. I started walking 1½ miles at least three times a week and yoga 30 minutes each night.

The addition of exercise has really boosted my weight loss program. So far, I have lost 35 pounds. I still have 20 to go and I plan on walking it off."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2012 :  2:03:30 PM  Show Profile
Victoria Montoya, (EastTXFarmgirl #549) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an intermediate level Let's Get Physical badge.

"I have been making exercise, weighing my food, measuring my portions and ensuring that I include healthy foods in my daily diet a life goal. My goal to lose weight really did not have anything to do with wanting to look better. It had everything to do with wanting to feel better and improve my health. My weight had gotten out of hand. This was a life change not just a diet.

I have lived this life without feeling deprived or cheated for the past 5 months. I can not describe how much better I feel."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2012 :  3:48:50 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Guerrero, (etguerrero #3709) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I've been collecting reusable shopping bags for the past year or so. I have one that folds up real tiny that I keep in my purse so I always have it with me. I also keep a few in my car, including an insulated bag for groceries.

When I first acquired reusable shopping bags, I would often forget to take them shopping with me, or would end up at the store unexpectedly and not have a bag with me. That's when I started keeping some in my car, and got a small one that folds up to keep in my purse. It really makes me feel good when I can say at the cash register, "I don't need a bag, I brought my own!""
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2012 :  3:51:27 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Guerrero, (etguerrero #3709) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Blogging badge.

"I requested an interlibrary loan for Blogging for Bliss through my local branch. I've been reading it every night as I watch TV. I've chosen to blog about my adventures in becoming more domestic (learning to cook, knit, etc.).

It's going great! I love the blog, especially because it's leading me to wonderful blogs that already exist. I've talked about my blogging idea to family and a close friends, and they've been very encouraging and have helped me plan and find focus."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2012 :  3:56:24 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Guerrero, (etguerrero #3709) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Birds badge.

"I've been interested in birds for three years now. My grandmother and my mom are both bird lovers, so it's no surprise I've fallen in step! By reading online and devouring my mom's field guides, I've become familiar with our backyard birds. I also have a list in my heart of birds that I just can't wait to see!

It brings me so much joy to be able to recognize the birds that frequent our feeders. Lately my favorite are the little dark-eyed juncos! They look so cute hopping in the snow. The top bird on my list of must-sees is a bit more exotic...I really want to go to Argentina to see the penguins! I also really want to see a stellar jay, which I've only seen in pictures at this point."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2012 :  4:04:28 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Guerrero, (etguerrero #3709) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Let's Get Physical badge.

"On New Year's Day, I decided to make my physical fitness a top priority for 2012. I make time to exercise five times a week, and my routine includes Zumba, jazz dance, jogging and walking on the treadmill, and physical therapy for my knees and lower back.

I can't believe how great I feel after just one month! I can see my waistline and my thighs becoming more fit. I feel my routines becoming easier, and am slowly increasing the intensity of my workouts."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  11:53:29 AM  Show Profile
Sharon Smith, (Sharon Denise #3754) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"My husband and I have purchased four reusable bags from HEB Plus and the new Natural Grocer. We have repurposed an additional five from promotional tote bags given at my teacher fair and at an engineering firm I worked for last summer.

We strive to always keep at least four in my trunk for last-minute or unplanned grocery trips.

At the Natural Grocer, they don't have bags. You either bring your own, or you can carry your items out in the cardboard boxes they receive shipments in. I love it! Their commitment to green practices has really kept us motivated.

My next goal is to start using them for other shopping needs and not just for groceries. That one will be a little harder!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  11:54:36 AM  Show Profile
Sharon Smith, (Sharon Denise #3754) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I've searched online and in the forums for recipes for household cleansers and beauty products. I've found several I'd like to try, but I'm still a little skittish. We've decided to transition by starting with all-natural products from the store first.

We've successfully transitioned to Seventh Generation products including dishwasher detergent, laundry detergent, dish soap, and all-purpose cleaner. We also use them for Kleenexes, toilet tissue and paper towels. The next step for me is to finally bite the bullet and start making my own. I'll need to find good containers and create a space to mix things outside. The goal is to begin at the beginning of the summer."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  11:55:38 AM  Show Profile
Sharon Smith, (Sharon Denise #3754) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Action badge.

"I have been bothered lately by the lack of curbside recycling in Temple, TX. There are two recycling centers in town, but I feel that Temple has grown in size enough to support the addition of curbside recycling. Most families are not willing or able to store recyclables until they find the time to load them in the car and drive to a center. The very committed do this, but so many more people would participate and improve our environment by the ease of curbside recycling.

After visiting the City of Temple website, I know I need to contact the Department of Public Works, Solid Waste Division. It seems to be solely a budgetary issue, so I'm a little discouraged. I'm going to speak with someone directly to see if a petition is in order. It would be a great addition to the city."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  11:56:48 AM  Show Profile
Sharon Smith, (Sharon Denise #3754) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Connecting Growers and Eaters badge.

"My mother-in-law lives on approximately 5 acres in the country. She has been having issues with her shoulder and her hip lately. She has had a hard time keeping up her large garden. On an unseasonably fine weekend recently, I helped her dig up her damaged soaking hoses and replace them in one of her beds. We also remulched and trimmed back several of the plants and weeds that were choking the smaller plants. In all, we spent 8 backbreaking hours that weekend getting her garden in shape and ready to be planted this spring.

She was pleased with how much nicer the bed looked, since it's very prominent when you enter the property. She was the most grateful for pulling up the old soaker hoses that were buried in the bed. That was something she really just could not do on her own."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  11:57:53 AM  Show Profile
Sharon Smith, (Sharon Denise #3754) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"This one was perfect for me! I was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia, but I have bad reactions to the medications I've tried. I now try to manage the condition through diet and other lifestyle changes. My family has been researching the dangers of GMO's, preservatives, high fructose corn syrup, artificial ingredients, etc. We've made the commitment to switch to organic for not only my health, but all of our health.

We've tried more new products than I can count. This was made MUCH easier by the new Natural Grocer opening in our city! We love it! They don't sell anything that isn't all-natural or certified organic. The selection is so much better than the meager organic offerings at HEB and Wal-Mart. Those are slowly getting better, but we can always count on Natural Grocer. My symptoms are still severe when they occur, but the frequency of my flare-ups has dramatically lessened since I cut this horrible "food" out of my diet. We all feel so much better and will NOT be going back to non-organic food."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  11:58:38 AM  Show Profile
Sharon Smith, (Sharon Denise #3754) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"This was a fun project we tackled before I went back to work this January. We were terrified of our bottomless-pit tupperware cupboard, but we prevailed! We got rid of all the ones that were missing lids or were discolored and replaced them.

The cabinet is much more manageable (we are no longer greeted with an avalanche when we open the door), although the ultimate goal is to get rid of all of our plastic food containers due to health concerns. That will be very tricky indeed!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  11:59:41 AM  Show Profile
Sharon Smith, (Sharon Denise #3754) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"This is something my family has been researching for quite some time now. Since being diagnosed with fibromyalgia, we discovered that beef was one of my triggers. I just cannot digest the stuff. We started learning more about the corporate food culture (not just beef) and were horrified. I can't believe the U.S. allows what it does!! Unhealthy for us and needlessly cruel for the animals. I visited www.eatwild.com for more information on grass-fed beef. While I can handle organic and grass-fed beef better than factory farmed beef, I still have digestive issues. That didn't stop me from insisting that my husband and stepson either cut out beef entirely or switch to only grass-fed organic beef.

We all feel not only healthier but more comfortable in the knowledge that we're not contributing to:

• Animal stress and abuse
• Air, land, and water pollution
• The unnecessary use of hormones, antibiotics, and other drugs
• Low-paid, stressful farm work
• The loss of small family farms
• Food with less nutritional value.
(from the eatwild website)

We're also switching to only organic chicken and will be hunting wild boar for pork."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  12:00:28 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Smith, (Sharon Denise #3754) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Birds badge.

"To find a list of native birds, I searched and found the following resource from Texas Parks and Wildlife: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_0869.pdf Reading through this extensive checklist was humbling. I had no idea that my knowledge of birds was so pitiful. I haven't even heard of many of these birds, nor would I be able to identify them if I did see them.

I discovered there are ten species of hummingbird in my region! I have put them on my wishlist. I get so excited everytime I see a hummingbird at the feeder that I never stopped to think they were different species. I'll have to start noticing more and see if I can identify them before they flit away!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  12:01:19 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Smith, (Sharon Denise #3754) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Build It Green badge.

"In researching for this merit badge online, I came to realize that every object in my home is giving off bad chemical vapors. I knew that paint released VOC's, but I didn't realize that everything else did too...for years on end. I had already looked into low- or no-VOC paint, but now I'm making a list of changes to make in other areas to make our home more green and healthy for all of us.

We also discussed that a way to be green doesn't just involve chemicals, but waste. Whenever possible, we add to home decor via thrift stores or home-made items, rather than purchasing new. This also cuts down on VOCs, though, since the older an item is the fewer fumes it releases. My husband built a large shelving system for me for my craft supplies. Love that man! I need to find my camera cord and post a picture of it. I haven't painted it or stained it yet. I want to either make my own milk paint for it or find a good natural stain I like. I'm still researching that one. In the mean time, it is very "green" and it saved a pretty penny since he made it himself. I also got just the right size and shape."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  12:02:13 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Smith, (Sharon Denise #3754) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Rocks and Minerals badge.

"According to http://www.rocksandminerals.com/rockcycle.htm: "Minerals are homogeneous, naturally occurring, inorganic solids. Each mineral has a definite chemical composition and a characteristic crystalline structure. A mineral may be a single element such as copper (Cu) or gold (Au), or it may be a compound made up of a number of elements. About 2,500 different minerals have been described.
Rocks are made up of one or more minerals."

The three types of rocks are igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic.

The website http://www.rocksandminerals.com/uses.htm lists some common uses of rocks and minerals, as well as giving the average amount we will each use in our lifetime. Between various metals, gravel, sand, clay and cement, it's estimated we will use more than a million pounds during our lifetime!

This brought back memories from 7th grade Earth Science class! :-) I haven't studied this is a very long time. I used to collect rocks when I was younger. I wish I still had them! I make jewelry and so use quite a few gemstones and polished rocks for that. It's interesting to really stop and think about how these rocks formed."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  12:49:30 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Shutterbugs badge.

"I started researching the terms online and found the following.

F-Stop: the setting of an adjustable lens aperture, as indicated by an f number.
Shutter speed: the length of time a shutter is opened to expose film.
ISO (film speed): the measure of a photographic film's sensitivity to light, determined by sensitometry and measured on various numerical scales, the most recent being the ISO system
Depth of field: the range of distance that appears acceptably sharp
Framing: an object that that acts as a border or frame for your subject. The frame directs the viewer’s attention to a particular subject or point of interest within the photograph. Frames also create perspective and show depth.
Rule of thirds: The basic principle behind the rule of thirds is to imagine breaking an image down into thirds (both horizontally and vertically) so that you have 9 parts. As you’re taking an image you would have done this in your mind through your viewfinder or in the LCD display that you use to frame your shot. With this grid in mind the ‘rule of thirds’ now identifies four important parts of the image that you should consider placing points of interest in as you frame your image.
Leading lines: Leading lines are lines within an image that leads the eye to another point in the image, or occasionally, out of the image. Anything with a definite line can be a leading line. Fences, bridges, even a shoreline can lead the eye. If can pair leading lines with a subject that is placed according to the rule of thirds your image should be very strong.

I then uploaded some photos onto my photobucket profile, making examples of the new terms I used.

I have been practicing taking pictures with different lighting. Especially with my Etsy shop photos. I try at different times of the day to get the best lighting. I also started using props so that the pictures are more interesting.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  12:58:12 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Nellie Make-Do badge.

"A friend of mine gave me 4 pinch pleat drapes that were black and deep blue damask silk. I found a wonderful fashion plate from 1859 to copy a dress from. It was a pointed bodice with large puffed sleeves. I began to drape the bodice and work the design. I cut my entire bodice out and the skirt. For this skirt I made it drawstring and it took me forever and a day to get the tie through the 120” of fabric. I then sewed the entire top together without the sleeves and tried it on, it was WAY too short. My entire abdomen was showing. I then had to take the bodice apart and lay out new pieces so that way the entire pattern matched up, making it appear as though the bodice did not need re-cut. I spent hours at the cutting table making sure the piece was perfect. When I sewed it all up I put it on to now find that the bodice was too long. I ripped out that hem and then re-stitched it all together again at the bottom. I then attached the sleeves. I designed the puff so that I could thread elastic through them via some bias cut stripping. Unknown to me, I had sewn the channel just a bit too small. It proved to be very difficult to string the elastic through, taking me hours just to do the small task.

Every frustrating moment was totally worth it. The dress has become known as my warm gown. I am very comfy cozy in it and I can’t wait for the bitter cold night in October when I will be able to wear it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  1:19:11 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Conner, (Montrose Girl #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Water Conservation badge.

"I've been using grey water for outside plant watering for years. We have two rain barrels though neither are hooked up for the winter. Before moving in with my husband, I had a bucket under my sink and disconnected the pipe so I could collect the water straight from the tap.

My biggest venture and the one with the most spills was when I would do laundry and put the discharge hose into a 5 gallon bucket. I had two buckets so I could switch, but would get distracted once in a while and rush into a mess. Otherwise the water went to water a willow in the yard -- a water hungry tree that I inherited when I moved in.

Only recently has it become legal for Colorado residents to collect rainwater, though there are stipulations. I was disappointed when I saw a report by CSU extension that indicated collecting grey water was a public health issue as it contained contaminates. Not a water wise choice."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  1:20:04 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Conner, (Montrose Girl #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Water Conservation badge.

"I calculated our water usage and by implementing the water saving methods I outlined for the beginner badge I reduced our water consumption by 10%.

I had to work extra hard as some of the items I described I was already doing. The flushing toilet and washing of dishes were the two areas I could save the most water. Otherwise it was a lot of little things, like using the rinse water for the indoor plants."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  1:22:00 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Conner, (Montrose Girl #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Greatest Generation badge.

"When I first met my now husband he introduced me to his adopted grandmother, a neighbor that lived on her own, though her son ran the farm around her. She is now 90 and when I moved out here, I started to visit her every week or so. Usually we just visited as I was too pregnant to do much else and then when the baby came we'd talk about being a new mom.

It's been great to get to know her and hear all her stories. Having grown up in this area, she knows about everyone and everything. I'm still learning, so I get a lot of first hand knowledge. Since my grandparents are gone now, it's been nice to have a surrogate grandmother."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  1:23:25 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Conner, (Montrose Girl #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Recipes badge.

"I don't have too many older relatives around so I asked my siblings and my niece. The response was pretty uniform as my mother didn't cook. My brother and I both decided on the biscuit donuts she used to make us. I introduced my niece's children to them a few Christmases ago. On my father's side one aunt gave me a recipe her mother, whom I never new, had passed down. My aunt had given it to her children and I managed to get it from her.

My brothers and sister and I learned how to cook out of self defense and mostly from cookbooks. I have several shelves of various cookbooks. I have my grandparent's cookbooks and once in a while pull them out. This has really shown me how little the kitchen mattered to us other than a quick meal.

My husband's family was another story, but when I asked his mom she shrugged and said "you know, a recipe and a little of this and that". I hope to pass some of their recipes and the shelf full of cookbooks I have onto our son."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  1:44:40 PM  Show Profile
Angela Landis, (QueenBee Angela #3795) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I purchased a variety of sizes of recycled bags, and store them all in a canvas bag that I now take in and out of stores with me. I also combined mesh, plastic and cloth, for the various needs.

I've used them non-stop for almost a few weeks, and find I can carry so much more at one time too!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  1:45:33 PM  Show Profile
Angela Landis, (QueenBee Angela #3795) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I removed all storage containers and sorted through, getting rid of almost all plastic containers (except for those that keep dry foods). I purchased new glass storage containers in various sizes, and created nice, stackable rows in my cabinets. I donated all other matched sets and recycled the odd balls.

I'm loving the ease of finding the perfect container and lid. Best of all, I can remove the lids, add a little aluminum foil, and reheat right in the oven. No more microwaving!!! Win! Win!"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page