Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  1:36:18 PM  Show Profile
Elli Metz, (#2251) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner, intermediate, and expert level Blogging badge.

"LONG time blogger here, all over the place. As in -- I've been blogging since before there were blogs. Seriously. (We called them Online Journals back in the day. 1995, to be specific. There were 52 of us.)

I JUST read Blogging for Bliss last year (and loved the stuff about photo editing for blogs), and launched a brand-new blog at http://www.pinkideachampagne.com , with an added community component for people looking to have a lifechanging 2012. Using WordPress/domain combination, lots of pictures and original artwork, and a custom theme. We're already building a great network of motivated women, so I'm way chuffed.

It's ongoing! I'll update y'all after 2012 is over...? :D"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  1:56:46 PM  Show Profile
Elli Metz, (#2251) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner and intermediate level Civic Heritage badge.

"I was chuffed this past year to find the Elkhorn Valley museum here in town. (And immediately went there and joined as a member, due to the research library, which is massive and amazing.)

I learned a TON I didn't know about the community and plan on volunteering, even though I grew up here. It's crazy cool!

My person researched was Diamond Dick, and I posted a huge write up about our local celebrity for a blog that's syndicated to our local paper here: http://www.knitlife.com/hometown/notable-norfolkan-diamond-dick-tanner/

SO MUCH FUN! (And it deserves the all caps.) I can't wait to get back to local blogging on our civic history."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  2:09:14 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilling badge.

"I was taught the art of quilling at a young age.

When I was in the 6th grade, I quilled snowflake Christmas ornaments as gifts. I have since researched information on the history of quilling and have made several of the scrolls, coils and shapes. I recently learned how to make holly leaves and placed these inside homemade Christmas ornaments for Christmas 2012. There are 9 of these."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  2:35:52 PM  Show Profile
Cameron Kempson, (avlfarmgirl #3813) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"We have been using cloth "upcycled" shopping bags for at least 5 years. We don't just use them at the grocery store--we basically use them wherever we go. We actually have a special box in the back our our car that keeps plenty of bags available in case we forget to return bags to the car.

In the last two years, I have been able to get my parents to switch over to cloth bags as well.

My parents now use cloth bags when they go to the grocery store every week. In fact, one weekend, when they needed more bags than they had, they purchased the store cloth bags instead of using the plastic ones to catch the extra groceries."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  2:43:31 PM  Show Profile
Cameron Kempson, (avlfarmgirl #3813) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Water Conservation badge.

"In checking our house for leaks, I did not find anything that would indicate leaking water. Three years ago, we (my daughter and I) researched ways to conserve water, and here is what we do:
1. watch how often/when we flush toilets
2. set a timer and take showers that last no more than 10 min
3. use "grey water" to water our garden, etc.
4. use water from the dehumidifier to water potted plants indoors

We have reduced our water bill from $60 every 2 mos to $40 every two mos."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  2:51:05 PM  Show Profile
Cameron Kempson, (avlfarmgirl #3813) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Little Squirts badge.

"I taught my daughter how to check all the door hinges and door knobs for squeaks. We also checked our bike chains. Our gardening equipment we had already oiled and stored away for the winter except the shovel and pitch fork which we use for our compost year round.

It was a great opportunity to teach my daughter how door knobs work as well as where the squeaks come from, both in doors and on bikes."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  2:59:09 PM  Show Profile
Cameron Kempson, (avlfarmgirl #3813) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Know Your Roots badge.

"I had grandparents who lived until 5 years ago, and I had the opportunity to talk with them in the last year of their lives and ask them all the questions that I had never been able to ask before. I recorded their responses for posterity.

I have recently done the same with my parents so that my sister, daughter, and I have a collection of stories about my mom and dad's life together.

My daughter often asks questions about her grandparents and great grandparents, and now, we are able to have discussions about the differences between the past and present."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  3:05:01 PM  Show Profile
Cameron Kempson, (avlfarmgirl #3813) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Civic Heritage badge.

"I was born and raised in Asheville, NC. My daughter and I have an annual "tourist" day. The day before school starts back, we pretend we are tourists in our town and visit different landmarks, museums and such. It has given us the opportunity to learn more about Asheville and our place in this community. On the MLK holiday this year, we took a trolley tour of Asheville and learned about some of the historical facts around town.

It has actually been a way for my daughter and me to save money while learning more about the culture and history where we live."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  3:14:46 PM  Show Profile
Cameron Kempson, (avlfarmgirl #3813) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Pay It Forward badge.

"Recently, I discovered I had a gluten intolerance. We had to revamp some of our food choices. Currently, we are spending approximately $7-10 per person (2 of us) for an organic, gluten-free, whole food diet. We have decided to take the money we spent on gluten snacks and foods and donate it to our church's food bank.

We will be able to contribute approximately $25 per month to the food bank."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  3:22:07 PM  Show Profile
Cameron Kempson, (avlfarmgirl #3813) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Self-sufficiency badge.

"Four years ago, I decided to turn my suburban yard into gardening space. Each year, I try a new homesteading practice in relationship to the garden. 2 summers ago, my goal was learning how to dehydrate and dry herbs, veggies and fruits. At Christmas time, one of the gifts I give is a mix of herbs for cooking and baking. I also make lavender sachets for Valentine's Day and birthday gifts.

My friends and family are always impressed by the homemade gifts I give from my garden and homesteading. Now, I have friends who ask for those gifts to give their friends/family."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  3:27:07 PM  Show Profile
Cameron Kempson, (avlfarmgirl #3813) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"My kitchen is the heart of my home. When I found out I was gluten intolerant, I spent last weekend reorganizing my kitchen to recycle all plastic containers and store all my new grains and baking goods in large mason jars. That led to an entire overhaul of my cabinets, fridge, and freezer. Everything is much more accessible and easy to see/find.

My daughter (a tween) came home and actually ooohed and aaaahed over the new level of organization in our kitchen. Since she is responsible for unloading the dishwasher and cleaning up after dinner, she has noted time and again how much easier it is to put things away."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  3:32:18 PM  Show Profile
Cameron Kempson, (avlfarmgirl #3813) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Icing on the Cake badge.

"When my daughter was a baby, I decided to take a cake decorating class at my local community college so that I could make her birthday cakes as she was growing up. To this day, she does not want a store bought cake--she wants me to make her birthday cake. I have used the Wilton book we had to buy for class as well as their magazines to keep up my "education" with this skill and have actually taught several friends some of the skills.

I am usually the go-to person in my family for decorative cakes. It's also nice to have a tweener who still wants her mom to make cakes for her."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  3:44:13 PM  Show Profile
Cameron Kempson, (avlfarmgirl #3813) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I watched the trailer of the movie and read the book a few years ago. My uncle has chosen to have beehives at his farm so that he can contribute to the creation of more honey bees. Because I am allergic to bees, I do not want to risk having hives, but I do plant flowers that specifically attract honey bees to my yard. I have found that seedum, clover, and coreopsis are the most bee friendly so I make sure each year that those plants are divided and spread throughout the yard to encourage bees to come but also to pollinate my veggies and fruit.

This past summer, I noticed that there were more bees, and for the first time, I had zucchini (that usually requires me to help it pollinate with q-tips) pollinate with the help of bees. I am learning how to use flowers in combination with my veggie plants to encourage pollination."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  3:51:40 PM  Show Profile
Cameron Kempson, (avlfarmgirl #3813) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Let's Get Physical badge.

"I just began a gluten free program in November which has had a tremendous impact on the way I feel and look. Although I have always eaten organically and healthily, I have determined that my body has an intolerance for gluten. Plus, after reading Wheat Belly, I am finding that genetically modified wheat is really toxic to all of our bodies in some form or another. Being gluten free has increased my energy levels, lowered my weight, and supported my overall well being. As a result, I have actually been more motivated (and had the energy) to up my exercise program since the holidays.

Doing very well. Now my daughter is also mostly gluten free. I have lost 8 lbs since the beginning of December and am addressing issues that we thought were a recurrence of cancer but were just gluten related."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  3:58:07 PM  Show Profile
Cameron Kempson, (avlfarmgirl #3813) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"My mother taught me how to sew with a machine when I was 14. That Christmas, she gave me a large fishing tackle box filled with everything I would need to keep on hand for sewing. To this day, I still have that box. It even went to college with me!

I always keep my box stocked so that it is ready to use. One of the best gifts my mom ever gave me."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  4:50:20 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Civic Heritage badge.

"The site of the Gold Museum, that tells the story of the Gold Rush, is the second courthouse to be built in the area. It replaced a wooden structure that burned. This one was built in 1836.

I couldn't find a picture of the original building, but this is what has been said of its restoration. After the new, present day courthouse was built, the old one fell into near ruin, so the first thing they did was start a massive stabilization effort to stop the deterioration of the building.

Next the outside of the building was sandblasted to return the brick to its original color. Then offices were removed to return the entrance to its original condition. All the furnishings are from the period or are the original ones - floors, walls, stairs, etc.

It's the oldest courthouse in continuous use in Georgia."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  10:05:09 AM  Show Profile
Kris Bulla, (#3679) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"When we first moved to NC, I began acquiring the reusable bags any time I went grocery shopping. I found some cute collapsible bags on clearance at Office Depot, too. I keep them in the cabinet by the front door so I can grab them on my way out to the store. Sometimes I remember to take them out to the truck even when I'm NOT going grocery shopping. On the rare occasion I make unexpected stops to the grocery store, I just buy another bag and regift them if I get too many.

I love having them as they carry more than the typical plastic grocery bag. Plus at some stores (Lowes Foods, Target, etc) you receive $.05 off your total for each reusable bag you use. Gotta' love the opportunity to save the planet AND save some change!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  10:18:26 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca Ashley, (rashley1180 #2018) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I've bought bags of old glass buttons at flea markets and garage sales. I then got a whole tin of buttons from my Mom that she had been collecting since I was a kid. She would buy clothes at thrift stores just for their buttons and cut them off. Then she would use the fabric to make other projects.

It turned out very well. I've amassed a rather large collection of all types and colors. Many of them I remember from digging through my Mom's tin as a kid. I love the old glass buttons!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  11:03:10 AM  Show Profile
Ashley Hotter, (AshleyH #3108) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Blogging badge.

"I read Blogging for Bliss: Crafting Your Own Online Journal: A Guide for Crafters, Artists & Creatives of all Kinds. Then I decided I am going to blog about my farm.

The book was hard for me to read but I want to blog about my farm so I made it through."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  11:15:19 AM  Show Profile
Ashley Hotter, (AshleyH #3108) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Blogging badge.

"I am blogging on Google, and my name is Wild Woman Farm. I published my first post today!

I love it, it is so fun to tell people about your day and what animals you have. www.wildwomanfarm.blogspot.com"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  11:20:29 AM  Show Profile
Ashley Hotter, (AshleyH #3108) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I got rid of all my cleaners and replaced them with green ones. Borax, vinegar, and felsnaptha. I pledged to only use things that are healthy for my family to be around and not bad for the environment. I also shared my ideas with my mother.

Sharing my ideas and recipes with my mom payed off she is now going green too. I think that these cleaners clean better than the harsher chemical cleaners."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  11:27:02 AM  Show Profile
Ashley Hotter, (AshleyH #3108) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Going Green badge.

"I made my own laundry soap.
I use vinegar as a fabric softener.
I use vinegar to clean my counters. and I use a steam mop on my floor so no cleaners on my floor.
I shared these ideas with my mother-in-law.

I love the way my clothes feel so much cleaner and the vinegar makes them softer. The vinegar seems to get the smells off of my counters, and as for cleaning the floor there are no smells making me have headaches."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  11:36:11 AM  Show Profile
Doris Meisell, (SouthForty #3794) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I am especially proud of my buttons, maybe a little too proud! I say this because I never dreamed anyone else would honor this old fashioned & thrifty task by awarding a badge for "hanging onto" these little jewls! WOW! Thank you for everything from your books, to your magazine, and this sisterhood! I purchased the "MaryJane's Outpost" book at a chain store that is packed to the rafters with what-nots, home decor and crafty kitchy items but I knew the minute I saw the book I was "connected" to at least one other person who felt the same about out big beautiful world! And when I touched the booked I knew that it was going to be a love affair. The quality of the binding and the feel of the pages impressed me. We went to dinner with friends and I couldn't resist taking it out at the restaurant and glancing through it again ~ I could not wait to get home to puruse this treasure. This book sits prominently on my coffee table. It led me to the website and the magazine was ordered right away. I can't wait for each issue to arrive and am shocked that I did not explore the sisterhood much sooner! Anyhow, you didn't ask for all of this but I felt compelled to share my gratitute for what I feel will be a long, long connection with my sisters! :)

As mentioned above, I think this is the beginning of a long, long love affair! I've begun at least a dozen tasks towards earning more badges and am literally "on fire" to "UNLEASH MY INNER WILD!" (I live in Texas but recently entertained the idea of driving to upper Washington state to buy a friend's family pull-behind travel trailer that was straight out of the 70's with its gingham printed curtains and wooden screen door. Diesel prices prevented the trip and my fellow retro-camper was sold to a local. This was before I found the book and all of my country-girl ways were validated with the whole concept of "Glamping." I continually remind friends that RVing is not the same as camping. Water and electric hook-ups?!?!?!? What?!?!? I thought you had to rely on an axe and a fire! Again, I digress. Closing with a giant, "Amen, Sister and as always, God Bless!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  11:55:19 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Goad, (Homestead Dreams #3028) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I crocheted some simple baby items: baby booties and a what I refer to as a "belly-covering" scarf. I made a baby hat as well but I used a round form-so I believe that is considered knitting more than crocheting. You can check my projects out on my blog:

scarf-
http://spiritualhomesteading.blogspot.com/2012/01/crocheting-belly-covering-scarf.html

hat & booties-
http://spiritualhomesteading.blogspot.com/2012/01/booties-complete.html

I would certainly call myself a beginner crocheter--I know only a few basic stitches and I cannot follow a pattern without pictures yet ;) but I was able to share what I know and what I was doing with my daughters to fulfill the second requirement for the badge.

My baby hat, booties, and scarf turned out awesome. What I consider one of the highlights of my project is that I had to widdle a crochet hook to work with my thick yarn for the scarf! I got the instructions for that out the "Stitching Room" book. I enjoyed making my own hook and then using it-there a sense of pride and self-sufficiency that went along with it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  12:01:51 PM  Show Profile
Sue Miller, (#2277) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I earned the beginner knitting merit badge by knitting a scarf which took me approximately 6 hours to knit. I also taught my daughter-in-law to knit as well.

It turned out great! I really like wearing the scarf!"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page