Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  4:19:22 PM  Show Profile
Cameron Kempson, (avlfarmgirl #3813) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner, intermediate, expert level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"Two years ago, I began researching the importance of planting and saving heirloom seeds. I haven't read the book you suggested but have several other books and a subscription to Mother Earth News. For me, heirloom seeds are a way of protecting our heritage while also planting vegetables and fruits that are safer than some of the hybrids which have been genetically modified. I have found a great seed company, Southern Seed Exposure, that I have committed to ordering from because they sell heirloom, organic, and small farm seeds. My seed order the last 2 years has been comprised of at least 75% heirloom seeds.

There is a certain level of satisfaction in knowing that I am protecting the heritage of seeds that generations before me sowed in their fields. Also, by saving the seeds, I not only continue harvesting heirlooms but can also share them with friends and family."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  4:32:11 PM  Show Profile
Cameron Kempson, (avlfarmgirl #3813) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"My parents live in the country about 20 minutes from my suburban home. Down the mountain from their house, there is a local, organic farm. They sell grass fed beef there. After reading The Dirty Life by Kristin Kimball and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver, I developed an appreciation for grass fed beef. My daughter and I committed to eating only grass fed beef. To us, it seems more humane but also much healthier. Plus, on a spiritual level, it just seems more ethical to allow a living creature to live/eat in their natural environment.

We've noticed a big difference in taste and freshness and feel much better about our choices as carnivores."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  4:37:14 PM  Show Profile
Cameron Kempson, (avlfarmgirl #3813) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Birds badge.

"I have always loved birds and frequently sit by my back door in the morning before work, drink tea, and watch the feathered creatures eat their breakfast. When my daughter was a preschooler, she wanted to know all the names of the birds. I bought her a book that we still reference to this day. As we have tried different nuts, seeds, and berries, we have attracted a larger community of birds to our yard. In the past couple of years, we have not only attracted native birds but also those that migrate through our area as well. My dream, though, was to be able to have a bluebird settle into our environment somewhere. I even bought a blue bird house. Never did it happen, but last winter, they came from somewhere and enjoyed my homemade suet mix. I continue to put it out so that they remain in our area.

Not only had a bluebird, but 2 bluebird couples as well as a variety of birds in the woodpecker family who apparently enjoy suet as their winter mainstay."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  1:38:47 PM  Show Profile
Amanda Henning, (mamahenn #2492) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"I used the Cornell University AEM website that has all sorts of links for creating a business plan. I created a business plan using their online tools. I have been dreaming of starting a small business for quite a while. I stay home with my two small children so I don't have a lot of time to work on things but I do have a lot of time to come up with ideas. For the moment, I am dreaming on it!

Once I actually got my ideas down on paper, they seemed more realistic to me. Now, I am just trying to get all the details in place before I can get started. Writing everything down was a big push forward for me!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  2:30:30 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Metz, (#2251) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"On Dec. 6th, I bought a small book to use as my gratitude journal, and every day, I've been writing down the five things like clockwork.

Also bought the book -- how did I not know about this book before!?

It's become an integral part of my evening to review the day and write down my five things. I'm noticing more good in the world, and feel more generally positive. It's a good thing!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  3:03:46 PM  Show Profile
Erika Endler, (Apache Lady #3628) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Wild Game badge.

"Well, I've already been a hunter for several years, so I know what kind of game to be had around here. California, Gambels and Mountain quail, phesants, dove, chukar, all kinds of waterfowl, not to mention the predators and wild pigs. I've done some volunteer work with the California DFG and their game bird heritage hunts, helping new and young hunters familiarize with the laws, safe firearm handling, and etiquette.

I am having the time of my life! The DFG hunts are the best. I've even helped people out with cleaning, handling, cooking, a bit of taxidermy (preserving the tails) and even some fly tying advice. I've also hunted much of the game in California and I keep up with all the regulations every year."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  3:12:26 PM  Show Profile
Erika Endler, (Apache Lady #3628) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an intermediate level Wild Game badge.

"I can't tell you when I first got my hunting license, probably about 20 years ago. My boyfriend and I enjoy all kinds of hunting. This year he shot a buck (I didn't apply for a deer license this year) and we made summer sausage.

I had a summer sausage kit and all we needed was to buy some pork butt. We ground everything up with my Kitchenaid, mixed in all the seasoning, stuffed into casings, and smoked for about 5 hours. Wow did it come out great! Made some excellent Christmas gifts and snacks!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  3:44:01 PM  Show Profile
Glenda Golden, (#466) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"Collected more than a dozen re-useable shopping bags in various sizes and materials. I keep several in each vehicle so that I always have them with me.

I love using them. They hold more items than plastic bags, so it takes less trips to bring in your items from the car. It also saves on space since you don't have plastic bags hanging around."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  4:18:17 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger, (GrammyTammy #466) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"In the fall of 2011- we had 2 tragic events happen in our lives. The first, our 9 year old granddaughter was hit by a car. The second, our area was devastated by flooding. I wrote a thank you note to the police department where the accident happened, just to let them know they are appreciated. I also wrote a letter to the editor thanking all those in public service during the flooding.

I have never written a letter to the editor before. I wonder if it will be published? I don't get the paper, so I may never know. Seems thank you notes are out of favor right now, I want to be part of getting them started again. Thanks MJF for the encouragement to do so."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  09:22:16 AM  Show Profile
Victoria Montoya, (EastTXFarmgirl #549) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Icing on the Cake badge.

"My son was to be married and he and my wonderful daughter-in-law had a year to plan. They decided to have the wedding on our farm. They also decided that I was to make the wedding cake. They did not care that I had never decorated a cake in my life. As they put it "You have a whole year to learn". And learn I did. I took 3 levels of the Wilton's cake decorating classes in the town that is about 35 miles away from our little community. I read every cake decorating book I could get my hands on. It took the whole year but I did it.

A year later and about 200 practice cakes downed the cake was beautiful and the wedding was amazing. I have included a picture of the 5 tier white cake with 'I lost count of how many' handmade sugar purple roses. The small cake in the upper corner was the wedding shower cake that I made and I also made the groom's strawberry chocolate cheesecake next to the wedding cake. I must say I was quite proud of myself"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  09:24:10 AM  Show Profile
Victoria Montoya, (EastTXFarmgirl #549) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Icing on the Cake badge.

"While taking the 3 levels of Wilton’s cake decorating courses I acquired many tools and products of the trade, including many tips, a turn table, many shape and size cake pans, spatulas and much, much more. I really enjoy cake decorating and feel very creative when doing it. My sister’s 60th birthday was this past May and as part of her present I made her cake for the party. It was a 3 layer cake. I used standard icing techiques and some simple piping but also used a sugar tranfer on acetate techique to wrap chocolate ribbons around each layer, sugar roses and real roses dipped in chocolate. I made the numbers for the cake from chocolate using sugar transfers on acetate. And of course, 60 candles that would not blow out. I don’t like the taste of fondant so all of my cakes are decorated using a very special recipe that I happened upon. It is truly amazing.

I was very proud of my sister's birthday cake and she loved it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  09:25:22 AM  Show Profile
Victoria Montoya, (EastTXFarmgirl #549) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Icing on the Cake badge.

"Our local fair does not have a cake decorating division and I have not had the opportunity to be involved in an event that would auction a cake. However, something I did start 2 years ago was donating a themed birthday cake to a child’s first birthday. I think that first birthday is so important not just to the child but to the parents. The first year I did this my son brought to my attention a co-worker of his that was working so hard to make ends meet in our difficult economy. She had a son that was soon turning 1 and she wanted so to have him a Winnie the Pooh cake for his birthday but could not afford one. My son was very pleased to take Cameron his cake. That is when I decided every year I would find a child whose parents are hard workers and doing everything they can to make that child’s life wonderful but sometimes needed a little help. This year the cake went to Coby. He turned 1 on January 10. His father works full time and his mom works part time and is going to college full time. They wanted a Disney Cars party. And that is what they got.

Cameron's Pooh cake was a sheet cake with a tree stump shaped from a bee hive cake pan, chocolate stepping stones, royal icing daisies and all the pooh characters. Coby's cake was a two layer round with sugar cookie stars and piston cup trophy, chocolate cars, racing flags, Lightening McQueen lightening bolts and Route 66 sign. Checkered flags waved on each side. To me this is much more rewarding than winning anything a the fair. The smiles on mom and dad's faces are just as bright as the babies smiles."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  09:54:13 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong, (Ceejay48 #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner, intermediate, and expert level Music badge.

"I am submitting this application for all THREE of the Farmgirl Connection “MUSIC” Merit Badges. Submitting Beginner, Intermediate and Expert.

BEGINNER:
I started learning piano instruction before I started school in first grade, and started organ and vocal instruction while in high school. I am an accomplished musician and instructor. I have learned all the elements of music.
Over the course of my training and performance I have listened to every genre of music, including some of the more contemporary, much less desirable ones. As a performer and instructor I not only identify the elements, but teach them.

INTERMEDIATE:
In my training years through high school it was required of me to study and learn about all the composers of the music I was learning, which was mostly classical. I learned about some of the “styles” of these composers enough that I often could identify a piece of music being played as being written by a particular composer.

As I entered high school and started playing more and more “church music” I started learning about the lives of these songwriters and the situations in their lives that lead them to write the music they wrote. This evolved as I became more and more involved in Christian music and I was able to start teaching my students to “color” their music. An example of that would be a quiet, peaceful composition could be colored possibly as “blue”. A bright and lively piece could be colored as “red or orange”.

As I learned more and more about my Scottish/Irish heritage I began learning about the different styles of Celtic music, such as the different between a strathspey, reel or jig. And, learning more and more about the different musicians . I and my husband were able to travel on three separate times to Scotland/Ireland/Wales and England. Our 2nd trip included a “FOLKLORE” tour in Ireland with Mick Maloney as our host. Mick is an Irish musician and songwriter and I was able to learn many things from him about Celtic music.

Through all of this I have been able to compare/contrast music and musicians such as their passion, their skill and the music that makes them unique.

I have shared with our Henhouse/Chapter in FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST “Project Discussions”

EXPERT:
I started piano instruction before I started 1st grade and am an accomplished pianist and piano instructor. I started organ instruction while in junior high school and am also an organ instructor. I have always participated in vocal music, but started formal training in college and am an accomplished vocal instructor and choral director.

My life has been saturated with music, whether it be my own music or teaching it or enjoying it by listening. As a senior in high school I presented a full length (1 hour) piano recital at my high school. Repertoire was 100% classical music and 100% from memorization.

I have written and teach courses in: BASIC MUSIC THEORY (for anyone interested); “TUNING UP” YOUR VOICE (for vocal students and choir members; FOUNDATIONS FOR PIANO IMPROVISATION (for Christian pianists). Served for many years as the Audition Coach and accompanist for the choral department of our local high school. I have planned and executed numerous Christian music musicals for children, teenagers and adults. Not only the music, but set design, lighting, sound and other technical aspects.

Currently, I continue to teach piano and vocal music. I continue to enjoy listening to and playing/singing music, ever expanding my horizons into newer genres. I am also continue my personal study as a jazz pianist, while still engaging in my passion as a Christian musician.

Music is my PASSION, it is my HEART and my SOUL and my communication with my CREATOR."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  10:10:27 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Recipes badge.

"I created a family recipe book that included both sides of my families.

I typed the recipes up and printed them out on regular paper. The pages went into plastic page protectors, and pages were numbered. My kids created category cover pictures and I made 9 3-ring binders for extended family. Family heirloom recipes were included."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  10:11:43 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Recipes badge.

"I helped my brother host a recent Christmas gathering.

Every gathering we all help to make family heirloom recipes that have been handed down for years. We also get together in the fall, prior to Christmas. We always have homemade ice cream for those fall gatherings, including other family recipes."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  10:23:57 AM  Show Profile
Patty Byrd, (thebyrdhaus #1840) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge.

"My Christmas tree is decorated entirely with homemade ornaments. I always make ornaments that will fit inside of my Christmas cards as well to gift to others. This year, I made several different ornaments.

Friends tell me how much they look forward to the Christmas card with an ornament tucked inside. My tree always includes rag garland as well."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  10:33:47 AM  Show Profile
Sarah Houlihan, (houligan19 #3828) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I went on to the listed website to read about raising cattle. In the past, I have also done more extensive research on the different ways cows and other animals are raised.

I always do my best to buy beef from the most humane source I can find. I am happy to spend the extra money to know that there are no hormones or antibiotics in the meat my family and I are going to eat. There is no need for cows to spend their whole lives eating food that tears their stomachs apart or for them to walk around in their own feces. This has made quite an impact on me."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  10:41:11 AM  Show Profile
Sarah Houlihan, (houligan19 #3828) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have tons of reusable shopping bags. I have finally gotten good at remembering to use them all the time.

I ended up with so many that I had to give some away. Now I just need to get my boyfriend to remember to use them."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  10:42:44 AM  Show Profile
Sarah Houlihan, (houligan19 #3828) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Icing on the Cake badge.

"I have learned all the basics of cake decorating and read all about the different kinds of frosting.

I have some experience in cake decorating with buttercream frosting so I read more about the fondant. I look forward to trying it soon!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  11:03:39 AM  Show Profile
Sarah Houlihan, (houligan19 #3828) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"I have a backyard compost heap and an indoor worm ranch. I also read "Worms Eat My Garbage".

Reading this book taught me ways to improve my current worm bin to make it more efficient. I didn't realize that I was doing things not quite right and wasn't getting all I could out of my ranch. I got halfway through the book and started making improvements right away!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  11:17:58 AM  Show Profile
Patty Byrd, (thebyrdhaus #1840) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Buttoned Up badge.

" First of all, let me tell you how CRAZY I am about buttons. I LOVE buttons. I have some buttons that belonged to my great grandmother, my grandmother and my mother. I never throw away a piece of clothing without first removing the buttons. I pick them up off the ground when someone has lost a button. They are like finding pennies on the ground. I am not a true collector in the sense that I will pay alot of money for them. I don't buy at yard sales or thrift sales generally, because most sellers believe they have a gold mine in Grandma's buttons. I have been known to pick them up at estate auctions now and then, but only if I am not bidding against a collector. Some people refer to me as a collector. I might say I am a collector of sorts. But I really knew nothing about buttons. They fascinate me. I like, pretty, plain, fancy, ornamental, unusual, simple, and common. I like different materials. I like wood, metal, glass, plastic, fabric, bone, and seashell.
I now know that around 2000 BCE buttons were born! They were made of bone, wood and sea shells. Primarly used as ornaments as the buttonhole didn't make it's appearance until 1200 AD. 1250 AD - The Button Makers Guild was created to produce beautiful buttons for the wealthy. The 1500's included buttons were made from gold and cloth covered buttons. The 1600's buttons were made from silk, ceramic and silver.
In the 1700's steel and embroidered buttons were introduced. The 1800's brought us metal, glass and mother of pearl buttons. They continued popularity through the Victorian era and are collectors favorites. Modern day buttons are made from plastic as well. A seamstress can easily make matching buttons for garments using quick and easy button cover kits.
Okay, now I admit, all of this doesn't mean a hill of beans to me. I don't really care about the history of the button, because I am not a TRUE collector. What I do care about is the beautiful jars and jars with different colored, different types of material buttons that sit in my sewing room. Any project that I have, I have a button that I can use! I have buttons made by my uncle from deer antlers. The buttons are in no real order. I have to dump out a jar to search, but that is half of the fun.
Buttons are used for games, for craft projects, and for entertaining little grandchildren. My granddaughters will sit and go through the jars of buttons and seem just as fascinated as I am. My son once said to me "When you die Mom, can I have your buttons?" Funny, who would have ever thought that my son, of all people would ask for my buttons. Will I be remembered for my buttons? My guess is, one day my grandchildren will believe that they have a gold mine in Grandma's buttons.

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/ "

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  11:38:00 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer Venable, (Bayou Girl #3803) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I visited the website www.eatwild.com. I researched the differences between grass-fed animals and feedlot raised animals. I also researched the health benefits for us, as consumers, and for the animals.

Already interested in living a more sustainable life, I had researched this topic before. However, I had never visited this particular website. It was eye-opening. I was disgusted and am questioning the source of all of my food and the food I prepare for my family.

I have a hard time wrapping my mind around this being allowed due to my own moral and ethical standards. I also have a hard time understanding why the government would support such practices. It is costing consumers more in the long run through unhealthy eating and medical costs.

I did generate some questions, too. How would we know if what we buy in stores is from a feedlot situation? How can we find out and be informed consumers?

I also located, through the www.eatwild.com website, farms in Arkansas who specialize in grass-fed animals. I've written down their contact information and will be making some calls.

This research also reinforced the small farm I have started at my own home."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  11:38:50 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer Venable, (Bayou Girl #3803) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Know Your Roots badge.

"I spent the weekend of January 14-16, 2012 at my Aunt Rene's home just outside of Yazoo City, Mississippi. She is my oldest living relative on my mother's side. We spent all day Saturday looking at pictures of my Mammaw and Pappaw when they were younger. She told me stories of my great aunts and uncles, stories of my grandmother living through the Great Depression and the impact that experience had on their rearing. I heard stories of my great-grandmother and great-grandfather, who were members of the Catawba tribe. We spent time on Sunday going through a geneology book compiled of my Mammaw's family.

It was one of the greatest experiences I've had in years. We laughed until we cried, cried over memories, and talked about the great people who preceeded us. I left her home with an even stronger since of pride concerning my humble background. I'm very proud of my Native history, the struggles that made my ancestors stronger, and their strong can-do outlook on life. I have items made by my Mammaw throughout my childhood that were already treasures to me. Now they are even more valuable."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  11:39:55 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer Venable, (Bayou Girl #3803) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I collected six reusable bags for shopping. Four of the bags were collected from friends. I told some of my pals that I was making a commitment to use reuseable bags when shopping from now on. They were happy to share some of their reuseables with me. For one of the bags, I am repurposing a canvas tote as a shopping bag. I decorated the bag with fabric paint and ribbon. Then, I made my sixth bag with scrap fabric I had at home.

I have made a commitment with my family, my husband especially, that we will use these bags when shopping. No more plastic bags for us.

The first shopping trip was a learning experience. I like organization, so from now on, I will organize my groceries before the clerk scans them. Then, they will be packaged in like groups. I also learned that I may need to make more bags for my shopping for my family of six. I am in the process now of making more bags, so that I do not overfill them. We don't need squished produce, do we?"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  11:56:58 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Spinning badge.

"A friend of mine is an accomplished spinner and we got together on Wednesday for a lesson. She showed me how to card it, and I got to card it on two antique carders, which was really neat.

She also tried to show me how to spin.
She has two spinning wheels, and she was very patient, but I just had the dickens of a time grasping it.

My problem was it kept going too fast and I couldn't keep up with it, so Annette let me try the drop spindle. That worked better, but I felt so frustrated at that point that I asked just to take it home with me and try it when I didn't feel so pressured.

I did do some yarn on the drop spindle, but it is what Annette politely refers to as "novelty yarn," which definitely is not smooth and even. I don't think that's the kind that MaryJane is referring to for the intermediate badge!

She gave me a magazine article and a link to a tutorial on the internet, so I will continue to practice until I can at least get my dyed roving into some yarn. Maybe I'll knit something up for Christmas with it after that, but I don't think spinning is something I want to pursue long-term."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page