Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  11:45:42 AM  Show Profile
Thelma Adams, (Thelma #3568) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have my mother's buttons and have my husband's mother's buttons, plus the buttons I have collected myself over the years. They were all mixed up together and it took me forever to find what I wanted when I needed buttons for a project. Mary Jane and her staff gave me good reason to dump the entire mess of buttons out of their plastic tub, sort them by color and then place them in recycled glass jars.

This project turned out great! I not only have my buttons organized, but I have a colorful display for my sewing room as well. What fun."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  4:35:14 PM  Show Profile
Thelma Adams, (Thelma #3568) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge.

"Oh what fun I had making decorations and gifts for Christmas this year. Knowing that I didn't have to spend all that extra time roaming from store to store was very motivating. For decorations I made a Santa pillow, embriodered stocking to hang on the tree, prayer keys, and a centerpiece. I also dried oranges and apples to use for gift tags and I repaired old stockings instead of buying new ones.

For gifts I mad a full size quilt and a twin size quilt for my grand daughters, a doll quilt, two garden angel wall hangings and six small coloring bags for the little tykes from our church. I also made homemade candy treat bags, apple butter and chocolate syrup ice cream topping to give as gifts.

Oh my what a wonderful Christmas season I had. It was fun doing for others and I surprised myself with all I got done. Next year I am going to try to make all my gifts. I hope I can come up with something that the men will appreciate."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  3:35:23 PM  Show Profile
Thelma Adams, (Thelma #3568) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge.

"I love to embroider, but have not done any for a long time as I have some medical issues with my hands. I found a small pillow pattern in an old magazine and decided to give that a try. As I was doing ok I added 6 small stockings to my project. I used Bareroots pattern #59 for the stockings. Since my tree is blue and white I used white cotton fabric and blue DMC Floss for the entire project.

I am very satisfied with how this project turned out. My stitches are not perfect, but I am able to enjoy this hobby again if I take frequent breaks."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  3:44:47 PM  Show Profile
Thelma Adams, (Thelma #3568) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"Oh how I love to quilt! I try to use something new with each pattern I choose or design. For my beginner badge I selected two small projects. I used the Patch Abilities pattern P95 to make two small wall hangings; one for myself and one for my garden club grab bag gift. "Blanch" came out pretty darn cute. I also made a doll quilt for my granddaughter. I used a two color design for this. Didn't really care for the colors, but then I am not nine years old. Giggle.

I am happy with the way these quilts turned out. If I could redo anything I would use different colors in the doll quilt. After the garden club exchange I overheard the new owner of "Blanch" tell someone that she was really happy to have something that I made. That made me happy."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  3:53:34 PM  Show Profile
Thelma Adams, (Thelma #3568) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Quilting badge.

"I made two quilts. The pink and brown one is for a 9 year old girl and fits a double bed. The blue and green is for a 13 year old girl and is for a double bed. I sent the quilts to a machine quilter to have a daisy design quilted into them. These quilts were too big for me to handle on my machine. I sewed the binding on by machine and then hand sewed it in place.

I am very pleased with these two quilts, and my granddaughters loved them. Both are now sleeping under them every night. I didn't have enough of the 2 main fabrics on the pink and brown quilt, so I was forced to add three borders around the outside. I do not enjoy doing this. If my measurements are a hair off the quilt gets out of shape quickly. I taped my tape measure to the floor and marked everything with colored masking tape, moving the tape each time I made a cut - no wavy sides!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  4:06:03 PM  Show Profile
Thelma Adams, (Thelma #3568) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge.

"I have started a community service journal, made plans to volunteer at my public library and help with flower gardens around town. For this badge my husband and I spent 13 hours playing Santa and Mrs. Claus for local events. We spent 4 hours at two different libraries where I read Christmas stories to the children and Santa took toy requests. There is a mansion is a town 15 miles from us. All jobs are strictly volunteer so we help when we can. Santa and I sat on beautiful turn of the century furniture in front a tree decorated with vintage ornaments. We spent 3 hours there visiting with young and old alike and posing for Christmas card pictures. We spent 2 hours with families of volunteer firemen, 2 hours at a day care center, and 2 hours at a community open house.

We are very proud of our special job as Santa and Mrs. Claus. When we get paid for our work we often turn this money back to the community sometime during the coming year."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  4:17:45 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race, (Simply Satisfied #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Get It Together badge.

"This one took awhile. I made my Christmas wish list up of lots of things I wanted for my kitchen and home. Some of my family helped out and bought some of the things I was lacking. My mom got me a waffle iron so I can make waffles then freeze them instead of buying eggos all the time. I also was lacking a candy thermometer which I bought to learn how to make butterscotch candy. The last things I bought were with my Christmas bonus. They were various things from Mary Janes Farm and a pie crust ring. My kitchen is complete as far as I need it now.

It is nice to have the last few things I needed in my kitchen. My extras either went to charity or our camper trailer that I am always adding things to as we go on trips and find we don't have something else that would make our camping a little more comfortable."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  4:21:16 PM  Show Profile
Mary Roberts, (Maryburb #921) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I have not knit in 30 or more years and then it was only one small project. Recently I made a crib blanket, 30 x 30. I was on a job assignment in July at a summer camp when another one of the adults saw me "trying to knit". She told me to hold on and when she returned she brought me the pattern for the crib blanket. She said it was the perfect first project. It has one yarn and it's all in knit stitch. She also introduced me to circular needles and invited me to join her Tuesday night knit group. I invited her to join MJ Sisterhood. I also taught my sister-in-law to knit.

The blanket was beautiful. I gave it as a shower gift. I love the pattern. I also taught my sister-in-law to knit. It turned out great. She made a scarf in a baby blue acrylic yarn. We had a fun time doing it. She spent 2 weeks on the project. "
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  4:31:29 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Safe Toys badge.

"For this badge, I crocheted three little Gingerbread people and sewed them together with matching yarn. I had one skein of a sort of brown color, and I had been trying to think of what I could make to use up that yarn.

After making the pieces, I sewed the arms onto the bodies, and then sewed the bodies together. I stuffed them with left-over cotton that I had pulled out of pill bottles.

Then I went back and used white contrasting yarn to make them look like they had white icing on them. I made the baby first, and then added onto the pattern to make the Daddy. That was a bit challenging and I didn't know if it would work, but it did.

Then I made the Mom, but I was afraid of running out of yarn, so I didn't make her as big as I would have liked. This "family" will be given to NOA, which stands for No One Alone and is our local women's and children's shelter. These will be safe toys for a child somewhere."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  4:39:49 PM  Show Profile
Winnie Nielsen, (Red Tractor Girl #3109) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I knew how to do the basic knit/purl stitches and had made simple scarfs. So, I found this pattern for easy mittens and made my first pair. They were more difficult that I thought but I did finish them and have worn them on cold days. One turned out fatter than the other but when they are on, it does not really show.

For my first time, I think they turned out OK. I also think I now understand how I misread the directions resulting in one mitten being fatter than the other!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  4:49:28 PM  Show Profile
Winnie Nielsen, (Red Tractor Girl #3109) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Knitting badge.

"I used a book to teach myself how to knit socks in the round on 3 needles. It was harder than I thought and I had to rip out a lot of mistakes but I finally successfully knitted a pair of thick tube socks!!

The socks shown below were worn by me yesterday so it looks like one is larger than the other, but they really are the same size. I experimented with the top portions with variations of knit /purl just to see how it all worked. But, when they are on, my jeans cover up the tops so it does not matter. These socks are so warm and cozy for those few cold days here in north Florida. I have thin sock wool and smaller needles to now try knitting a finer pair of tube socks which could be worn more often. I love being able to knit socks!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  4:56:54 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey, (MissLiss #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner and intermediate level Icing on the Cake badge.

"This will fill both the beginner and intermediate requirements for this badge. I went to my Mom's house for a lesson in cake decorating. She has been decorating baked goods forever and is always so creative with her cakes. After her lesson, I went on to the Wilton website to learn more of the technical terms and techniques. Then I made a birthday cake for my daughter!

The cake came out really well, if I do say so myself! My daughter is really into a math cartoon called Team Umizoomi and I took her favorite character, Milli, and turned her into a cake. It may be hard to see in the picture, but I used four different techniques and a bit of candy to create the look. I also had a blast learning from my Mom. We have cooked together a lot while I was growing up, but we haven't done the student/teacher thing much since then. It was a blast."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  10:38:38 AM  Show Profile
Laurie Conner, (Montrose Girl #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Water Conservation badge.

"I double checked the faucets in the house and am happy to report no leaks.

I estimated how much water we could save in a week. I think my numbers are conservative as I ran the water to collect my numbers and could not bring myself to run the tap wide open.

Teeth brushing: I let the water run for one brushing session but I kept the flow low and used it for watering a plant after. I collected 1 quart. For 2 people three times a day that is 1 1/2 gallons or 10.5 gallons a week.
Not flushing: I spent a lot of time in the woods during my 20's and 30's and remember a sign on a backcountry toilet that read "If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, send it down." If I let it mellow just three time a day, that is 33.6 gallons a week.
Rinse water: We used to rinse our dishes by running water from the faucet. In a test, I collected about a gallon of water. This will fluctuate depending on the number of dishes, but by having just a quart of rinse water in a pan, I save three quarts each time. This averages to about 2 gallons a day or 14 gallons a week.
Slower flow: I'm notorious for just pulling the handle and letting the water gush out. By keeping the faucet set at a slower flow, I manage to do the same job (rinsing hands or dishes) with less water. This should save us a few gallons a week.
Laundry: Our water use increased with the addition of a baby, particularly since I am using cloth diapers. Laundry is one of those things you need to do. Only washing full loads can make a difference on your water usage, but a more basic idea is how many clothes you wear. This time of year I layer, and I realized that top layer of shirt or sweater doesn't get dirty, so why wash it after one wear. Sweaters are also bulky and take up quite a bit of space. I think I can cut out 1 wash a week this way or about 15 gallons
Showers: An average 10 minute shower can use about 25 to 40 gallons of water depending on the flow rate. Reducing the time in the shower can delete a few gallons of water, but taking a shower daily, unless outside and really dirty, is harsh on the skin. By taking a shower just every other day or 4 times a week that would save 75 to 120 gallons, 100 gallons on average.
Plants: We use the dishwater to water the household plants thus saving a few more gallons a week.

Total: 180 gallons saved

I found this water calculator online http://www.csgnetwork.com/waterusagecalc.html

I have always tried to be water wise, but I had never run the numbers before. This exercise really showed me how much water gets used and how much can be saved."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  11:31:10 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Water Conservation badge.

"I checked all the water taps in our house.

We discovered, that when we turn on the water to the barns, there is a leak underground somewhere. We won't be able to fix that underground line for a while, so we keep it shut off from the main line for now.

By saving water, while running it to wait for hot water, we can fill about a half of a pail to water one goat. Any other saved water can be stored for flushing toilets in winter (when pipes freeze), watering plants and feeding other animals.

As a child, my mother taught me (and then I taught my own kids), to never run the water while brushing our teeth."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  11:37:10 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Recipes badge.

"I am collecting old family recipes.

My wonderful Aunt mailed me my Grandmother's recipes to copy. I am also copying recipes from my Dad's parents. My Uncle still had Grandma's recipe box."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  11:47:04 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong, (ceejay48 #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner, intermediate, and expert level Blogging badge.

"BLOGGING:
I am submitting this application for all three levels, beginner, intermediate and expert, of the Farmgirl Connection “BLOGGING” Merit Badge.

BEGINNER: I purchased and read “Blogging for Bliss” and found it interesting and helpful. The magazine “Artful Blogging” is also inspiring with so many ideas and glimpses of beautiful blogs.
I have been blogging for quite some time, have set up three blogspots, starting with “From a Celtic Heart”, which is where I share things that are near and dear to my heart and speak to the passion of a Christian farmgirl of Celtic (Scottish/Irish) ancestry.

INTERMEDIATE: I have setup three different blogspots, all through “Blogger”:
#1. “From a Celtic Heart” is about things important to me
#2. “CJs CREATIONS” is where I showcase my creations, mainly “Farm Fresh Aprons” that are for sale and share thoughts about experiences related to my apron sales.
#3. “ASPENFORGE” is where my husband showcases his creations; woodturnings and hand forged knives, where folks can “shop”.
As I recall in a statement in the December issue of MaryJanes “CLUCK” newsletter I was the first to send in my information for GirlGab.com by sending in info for my “From A Celtic Heart” blogspot

EXPERT:
I have posted dozens of photographs and “buttons” on all three blogspots. I have also added things that do customize and make it my own. I’ve helped my husband do the same for ASPENFORGE. I have also assisted several other individuals in setting up and personalizing their blogspots. Currently I am providing assistance to another farmgirl as she sets up her blogspot.
There are many posts on all blogs. The ones I stay current on are “From A Celtic Heart” and “CJs CREATIONS”. There are considerably more than 10 posts on each of the blogspots.
I also follow several other bloggers, and make comments on them. This includes the MaryJanes Farmgirl bloggers, my Pinterest boards, my Etsy shop and I regularly send emails to family and close friends just to let them know there are lots of new posts. I also have a Facebook account and a Shutterfly Gallery site.

www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

My goals are to keep my blogs current and fresh. I change backgrounds and headers occasionally and am regularly adding new photos. I also rearrange elements occasionally so that there is a “newness” to the appearance.

I enjoy the working with my blogspots, sharing my life, the things that matter to me and being creative with it. It is and will be an ongoing process."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  12:05:24 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey, (MissLiss #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner, intermediate, and expert level Blogging badge.

"This entry will be for all three levels of this badge. I read Blogging for Bliss, have my own blog and have well over ten posts (118 so far) with photos.

My blog is called Fabulous Farmgirl, www.fabulousfarmgirl.blogspot.com and I post about all kinds of things. My extended family loves it because they can see my girls growing up and what we are doing any time! I post pictures of them quite often, but I also post about crafts I'm working on, projects I do with the girls, things I find on-line that I LOVE. It has really become a great way for me to stay connected with the world. I love finding other blogs to follow and I really LOVE that I have 10 followers! And only 1 is a family member! 9 people I don't know like my blog enough to follow it! What a hoot!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  12:16:31 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong, (Ceejay48 #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner and intermediate level Recipes badge.

"RECIPES
I am submitting this application for TWO levels of the Farmgirl Connection Merit Badge, “RECIPES”. Submitting for Beginner and Intermediate.

BEGINNER:
My parents, grandparents, uncles and aunts are all passed on. However, I did have the privilege of gathering recipes from most of them, especially those who had wonderful recipes to share. My mother was an EXCELLENT cook and had a treasure trove of recipes.
Many of the recipes in my collection are handwritten, some are typewritten and the ones that are really “loved” have fingerprints of ingredients on them as well. Some are on index cards, some on “official” recipe cards and some in little pocket sized spiral notebooks. I have also been collecting and writing my own recipe collection so that my one and only daughter has the “tried and true” proven ones.

INTERMEDIATE:
I not only have the recipes from my mom, but the box she put them in. She had decorated it a bit with Contact paper. The box is pictured in the photo as are three recipe books that contain family recipes.
The yellow books are two different collections that have been given to my nieces and my daughter, as well as gifts and wedding gifts to friends. The red book is my own collection. Copies of dozens of those recipes have been put into small booklets for my daughter and friends for gifts.

There is nothing like having family recipes, especially my mom's. I love that her fingerprints and handwriting are on them!!

I love sharing these with my daughter, family and friends!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  12:26:36 PM  Show Profile
Minh Do, (kittenonpillow #3723) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"Most of these buttons were found while cleaning out my grandmother's closet a few months ago. She had little bags and tins stashed here and there.
I added a few from my own craft supplies and strung matching ones together on string. The string was also from grandma's collection of saved things. =)

I think it turned out nicely. It will be much faster and easier to find matching buttons now!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  12:36:18 PM  Show Profile
Grace Brooks, (CountryGramme #2938) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"In April I acquired a flock of 6 chicks from my local Tractor Supply.
Dolly Parton, Martha Stewart, MaryJane Butters, Gertrude, Kentucky Fried, and Ezmarelda and Delila. I built them a henhouse with some help from my hubby.(I am disabled and my legs do not always cooperate, and I loose my balance easily) It has a perch, two large recycled windows (junk pile) and two vents that can be positioned open or partially open, along with a nice light fashioned out of their chick heating lamp!

All my girls are good layers of nice sized brown eggs. They are free range in the summer but due to a neighboring bobcat we had to put them in a coop in December because the cat caught Delia and now she is buried in a nice little grave with a pretty cross marker I made. Kentucky Fried has a wound that I have been nursing- her temporary home is in my living room! And she has been laying 2 eggs a day since she came inside!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  12:46:53 PM  Show Profile
Grace Brooks, (CountryGramme #2938) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner and intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"I started collecting buttons this past summer at yardsales and thrift stores. I gathered up one 1/2 gallon canning jar and one quart jar of old buttons-many mother of pearls-my favorite.
I made a large mother of pearl necklace and a Christmas tree collage to hang up for the holidays.

Every time I wear my necklace I get compliments! And my holiday visitors admired my ingenuity in my collage pic!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  12:58:07 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Goad, (Homestead Dreams #3028) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"I STARTED MY VERY OWN ART BUSINESS! I've completed all my legal/business paperwork, my advertising materials are in and up, my website and facebook page are running. I am officially open for business!!

I have shouted it from every rooftop I could:

~on my blog: http://spiritualhomesteading.blogspot.com/2012/01/shout-it-from-rooftops.html

I am thrilled with myself that I took this enormous leap! I am officially an entrepreneur!! (pretty amazing since at one point in my life I was a teen mom/high school drop out!) And I have this badge to thank for helping me get here, honestly! It got me dreaming again and then gave me incentive to make it a reality :)

So please show some sisterhood love:

St. Catherine's Apprentice: Fine Art & Commissions by Carrie Goad

Web: carriegoadportraits.com

Email: carriegoadportraits@yahoo.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/St.CatherinesApprentice "

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  1:09:01 PM  Show Profile
Gracey Larson, (Gracey #3697) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Action badge.

"I researched the SOPA and PIPA bills that are going to be put to a vote on congress January 24. The legislative branch is responsible for this issue. While it isn't just a local issue it will affect my community and my freedom as a USA citizen.

Basically this bill would give government the power to censor the web at their discretion based on copyright laws that are broken...while this sounds reasonable it gives our government far too much power and if any member of the site (ex: facebook, youtube, etc.) breaks copyright laws the government can shut that whole site down. I wrote a letter to both of my state senators asking them to vote NO on these bills."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  1:18:23 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Crochet badge.

"I had a skein of yarn in a brownish color that I wanted to use up, so I thought I would make some Gingerbread people. I started out with the regular pattern and decided when I finished it that the first one would be the baby.

To make the second one, I figured I would just add on some rows in the legs and torso part, plus using a larger hook, so I experimented and came up with the Daddy. I thought he turned out pretty well!

Then I wanted to make a Mommy, but I wasn't sure how far the remaining yarn would go. So I just make her according to the original pattern, but with a larger hook size. She turned out kinda on the small side, and I could have made her bigger, but I wasn't about to pull it all out and start again. I had already done that on the middle one.

This took right around 20 hours to do and with the Craft-in night at our local GA Farmgirls, I have crocheted in the presence of several friends for more than five hours. We all give each other pointers and help with our work."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  1:29:36 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Public Service badge.

"When I decided to run for Town Clerk in my hometown, it was because we were in desperate need of a change from our current situation and I had been informed that no one was willing to take the challenge. Shortly after I put my name out as a candidate, I was joined by another interested party. This brought about a resignation by our current clerk and two more candidates joined the race. In trying to gain the Republican Party Line I spoke before the Republican Committee and then circulated a petition among registered Republicans, acquiring the necessary sixty-four signatures. I was then advised to run as an Independent candidate which involved creating my own party name, Community Matters, and circulating a petition for another 63 signatures from registered voters in any party. Through this process I met a number of new people and gained a great deal of support. Since I lost the Republican primary, I was entered in the general election as an Independent. This meant campaigning among all registered voters in Argyle.
I created a campaign postcard which went out to all registered Republicans and to most members of the Conservative and Independence parties, as well as most non-affiliated voters. I did not campaign among registered Democrats since there was a Democratic candidate (an unusual thing in our heavily Republican town) and I felt that campaigning among them would not bring the support that I needed. I created campaign signs with my name and logo “Honesty. Integrity. Respect.”—the things that are sadly lacking in our town clerk's office currently but which I felt I could bring to the job. I also went door-to-door, introducing myself to as many people as possible.
In the end, I did not win the election. It was a terrible disappointment to me as I felt that I could have brought a great deal of good to the office. However, if I had not been in the race myself, the candidate who won is the one I would have voted for and supported, as she is a long time resident of our town and has a good reputation with the people. She will see that the office once again becomes a place where people feel safe and where they will be treated with respect. I look forward to her taking office on the first of the year!
As far as my own experience, I am disappointed to have not won the election and to have invested so much time and money in something that did not have a material return. However, I met many people, made new friends, and learned to do something that I will not be afraid to try again. I feel that I gained experience that will serve me well: I know how to circulate petitions, and I may have to do that again soon as our town attempts to take care of a dangerous real estate issue; I have made contacts who may help me again in future projects; I began going to Town Board meetings and have become more familiar with the workings of local government; I have gained confidence in myself and learned that I can accomplish just about anything as long as I work hard and am not afraid to ask for help.
I was also required to read the book “Free Lunch” for this level of the badge, and from my reading I learned that there is so much more to government than I was aware of. I have taken too much for granted. I believe that ignorance is our country's greatest enemy and, though I feel I can do so little on my own, I have made a commitment to becoming more involved in any way I can, beginning with making sure that I never miss another local election! I am committed to getting to know the candidates and I will become more aggressive in helping the best one win. I have never been involved in a campaign before my own, but I can promise I will be involved in more of them in the years to come!

I have no idea what is in store for me in the future, but I am pretty sure that there will be a need that I am equipped to fill. Until then I will seek out ways to make myself better equipped so that I will be a stronger candidate, beginning with taking the notary licensing test, as well as seeking out more volunteer positions and community service projects."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page