Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  1:58:56 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Drake, (guerin, #919) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner, intermediate and expert level Self-Sufficiency badge.

"For the beginner, 8 years ago for Mothers Day, I requested that the flower bed on the back side of our house be tilled up so I could plant an herb garden. Although it's location has since been moved, I still grow a complete herb garden every year. Currently I am growing catnip for my fur babies, oregano, dill, sage, parsley, and chives. In the past I have also grown Mint and basil.
Each year at the end of the season, I snip the plants back and hang the herbs to dry in my basement. I grind then in my mortal and pestal when they are dry and I usually give more away than I keep. (NOTHING tastes as good as homegrown sage stuffing on Thanksgiving Day..... YUMMY!)

For the intermediate level, I can and put by MANY items each year. Last year I canned tomato sauce (for spaghetti and chili and vegetable soups), green beans, pickles and also pickled mixed veggies for my hubby to take in his lunch at work. (literally just yesterday I made a batch of strawberry, kiwi, ginger Jam- it sounds kind of gross, but it turned out AWESOME! 1/2 of that batch has already been earmarked for Christmas gifts this coming Christmas.)

For the expert level, I have to again direct you to my blog. Last summer I did several posts I called "Puttin' By" I explained how as a working mom, I still managed to make time to "put by" quality organic produce for my families consumption over the winter. I did a piece on freezing fresh fruits for use in pies and smoothies and also how to put up freezer corn for excellent home cooked meals in the winter. Here is a link to one of the posts." http://www.925frugal.com/?p=1430
and http://www.925frugal.com/?p=1492
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  3:11:28 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Drake, (guerin, #919) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I am a new knitter, but I have already completed 4 scarves this year. I was able to give one away to my mother in law last Christmas and she really loved.

I enjoy knitting. I don't like to sit still and not be working on something. Knitting allows me to relax and still be productive. I am currently working on MaryJane's sweater wrap (I forget which issue of the magazine it is in, but Meg is modeling it and it is an orange color with a large wooden button). I am probably 2/3 of the way finished with it, so as soon as I finish it I'll send in for my intermediate level."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  3:17:36 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Drake, (guerin, #919) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"My mother always had a button tin and I used to love to sift through them as a little girl. When I got married I started a button collection of my own. I keep them in a pretty mason jar on my bookshelf and as I get a new article of clothing that has spare buttons, into the jar they go.

I love to look at them and remember special memories associated with the articles of clothing they used to belong to. I probably have 300+ buttons at this point and my jar is only half full." :)
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  3:22:49 PM  Show Profile
Christine Garard, (cgarard, #3133) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have a button collection.

My button collection started when my grandmother passed away. I loved the look of here old jar with all of the buttons in it. At the time, I had know idea that I would actually use some of them... and add to it! My grandma would be very proud of me."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  4:09:23 PM  Show Profile
Margarette Allen, (Mea, #1732) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"My family and I go camping regularly. We head out to our state parks and forests in an old pop-up with NO electronics allowed. My husband-who is on-call for his job-brings his phone but keeps it in the van and only checks it once per day. I do not bring any of my gizmos--not even my e-reader. We spend our weekends hiking, biking, swimming, and generally having a great time. The picture below shows the five of us on top the bluff at Devil's Lake State Park. The three boys made it all the way up the bluff and all the way down. No complaining! I was so proud of my little hikers!!

These weekends are a blessing for our family. We are very busy and this time allows us to enjoy each others company and focus on the really important things in life. . each other!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  4:20:29 PM  Show Profile
Julie Felton, (FarmDream, #3069) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"•Research ways you can clean your home without the aid of toxic cleaners. I've been using a 50/50 vinegar & water mix for just about all surface and floor cleaning. I use baking soda for things that need a little abrasion. One of my favorite tools for getting faucets sparkling and soap residues off surfaces is the stainless steel scrubbing pads.
•Commit to using a product that you have found or that you have made for cleaning your home and laundry. I've made other household cleaners with castile soap, borax and washing soda. I've been making my own laundry soap for a year and a half. I use vinegar for a fabric softener.

I love that I'm not a slave to the household cleaner and laundry detergent industry. I don't waste my money trying to smell like "spring rain" or "mountain goat" or whatever chemical fake scent is in those. It's a great sense of accomplishment knowing I have the skill and determination to stay away from chemicals."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  4:31:19 PM  Show Profile
Remi Davis, (Cibola, #2547) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Grease Chicks badge.

"My husband has been an amazing tutor in helping me become familiar with auto maintenance. I can now check the fluids in my car. I am checking my oil, coolant, brake fluid, power steering fluid and the windshield fluid. I can also check my tires and see that they are properly inflated.

I feel so empowered as a woman now and not dependent on having a man to help me know about maintaining my car. I now understand how these things work and understand the language better. I kept track of my mileage and fuel usage for one month. This was enlightening - I can actually walk to the store and our downtown area and save my car and the environment rather than driving. I loved this project. Thank you Farmgirl sisterhood."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  4:42:28 PM  Show Profile
Remi Davis, (Cibola, #2547) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Carp-hen-try badge.

"I put together a storage cabinet to store canned foods in our garage. I purchased the cabinet from our local store and had to assemble it myself.

I had never assembled anything before and so had to read the instructions and identify all the parts and the screws, boards, etc. I used a hammer, and an electric screw driver. It took me several hours to assemble this. I was so proud of myself and when I put my items inside of it, I felt such a great feeling of accomplishment."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  4:47:31 PM  Show Profile
Remi Davis, (Cibola, #2547) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I got rid of all cleaners in my home that were not green.
I pledge to use only green cleaners in the future. I compiled a journal where I put together all the ideas I could find that will help me live "green". I put together a basket with vinegar, salt, baking soda, lemon juice and gave it to my niece and talked to her about using these things to clean with.

My niece loved the gift basket. I read my MaryJane idea book and magazines and put these ideas into my journal. I learned so many ways to clean my home using "green" products. It feels good not to have more chemicals inside our home."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  4:54:13 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"Finally, I have taken the time to sit down and write out a for real business plan. I have had my own business, of one type or another, since 1992 but have never actually written a business plan. I just chafed at the thought of it, but this motivated me to do it for a business that I am working on starting up now.

The business is a book that will be called "Alive Health: A Recipe Book" that will show people how to make and take healthy, good for you food with them to work or school. It's along the lines of what MaryJane has been teaching here with the Farmgirls for years. It's got numbers and a timeline, which I am following to the best of my ability."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  4:59:04 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"Now that I have the business plan done, I can go on and get this one, which I have had finished for awhile now. I need to get a tax ID number because I am going to be selling a commodity, but I will wait until I have the book ready before doing that.

I have had business cards printed up for about a year now and have been talking about this book to everybody I meet. I am doing my own funding, so that is not an issue, and I will be getting my local county business license here soon. I've been working out of a neighboring county with another business, so I have a business license there and will change it over to my home county as soon as the book is ready too.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  09:08:07 AM  Show Profile
Loretta Praught, (rafeel, #4079) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"I totally "disconnected" for the weekend.

It was fairly easy for me because I never listen to the radio or watch T.V. so I just had to refrain from the computer and phone which wasn't too hard and I got her done! I sewed and drew some stuff for the fair that's coming up here."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  09:36:48 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Wines, (debbiesuew, #2625) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I didn't really know how to crochet. I started to learn but finally sat down and figured it out. Instead of just doing a scarf I came across a book for a prayer shawl which I could donate. The first one I made was for my Husbands Grandmother, she is 98. Then I made one for my mom, and then one for an Adrian Dominican Sister, Sister Lucian, who I've grown so very fond of. My grand daughter Ava was here with me while I was making Sister Lucian's and wanted to learn how. So several rows of Sister Lucian are Ava's first Crochet project. She loved learning and I think it made a even better gift.

The first one, I ended up starting over and tearing out more times than I could shake a stick at, but I finally got the hang of it. The stitches are just single and double crochet but for me just finishing anything is a great accomplishment. So far every gifted one has been well received. I'm making more and plan on donating them to a nursing home in town at Christmas for those patients who won't be getting any gifts. I could probably make the men lap blankets."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  09:46:59 AM  Show Profile
Janet Pinter, (Owwlady, #3128) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Spinning badge.

"I have always wanted to learn to spin wool. I joined a group of women who get together once a month to share their spinning skills and their fiber talents (and homemade soup). I have gotten as far as buying a pair of strauch cards and some wool to card and spin with my drop spindle. It's a slow process compared to using a wheel and is both relaxing and frustrating, but I enjoy it.

I had made a small ball of yarn so I could crochet just a small square of fabric to see how it looked. It felt so good knowing that I made it from scratch (with a little help from the sheep)."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  10:10:09 AM  Show Profile
Janet Pinter, (Owwlady, #3128) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I put together a sewing kit of my most often used items. I was trying different embroidery stitches on a piece of scrap felt and it turned out so cute that I decided it should be a pin keeper.

I love my new pin keeper. It's bright and cheery."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  10:20:13 AM  Show Profile
Kim French, (french08, #2997) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"I have made a compost area out of used pallets. It is three-sided. I have maintained it for at least three months.
I also read the book Worms Eat My Garbage by Mary Appelhof. It was amazing learning all about these garden workhorses.

My compost area is a mix of clipped grass, horse manure and household compost. In the last year it generated enough soil to fill 24 raised garden beds!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  10:32:13 AM  Show Profile
Janet Pinter, (Owwlady, #3128) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"My mother taught me to knit as a child. I put knitting aside for many years and then decided recently to take it up again. My sister had this dishcloth pattern for "Michigan Cherries" so I decided to give it a try.

I enjoyed making this dishcloth and like how the pattern pops out.
I also had taught my daughter Nina to knit the basics...cast on, knit, purl, a simple cable on a practice swatch....that was the extent of her knitting experience, she didn't enjoy it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  2:07:02 PM  Show Profile
Janet Pinter, (Owwlady, #3128) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I learned to crochet as a child and put it away for many years after that. I've been working on it again for quite awhile now trying to learn new techniques and improve old ones. I taught my granddaughter Brieanna how to make a chain, a single crochet, double crochet and treble crochet. She practiced on her own and made a simple scarf.

Here are two beginner projects. I've made many scarves for the grandkids and anyone who wants one. They're a great way to try out new stitches and different yarns.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  11:17:07 AM  Show Profile
Michelle Wieler, (MichelleW, #3271) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I actually found the How-To videos on MaryJanest.v. and watched that. I then pulled it together with stuff I had on hand, which I was thrilled about not having to run to the store for some missing ingredient. ;-)

I was dubious on how I would use this pin keeper but was pleasantly surprised. I was able to get all of my loose buttons in one place and get rid of the dish in my bathroom that held all of my needles and safety pins. I organized 2 sewing kits and found "treasure", aka stuff that I own, but forgot I did. Now I can't wait for a button to pop loose so I can grab my handy pin keeper upstairs and fix it right away instead of taking the garment downstairs and forgetting about it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  10:30:41 AM  Show Profile
Crystal Halliwell, (metrohippymom, #3197) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good To Your Mother Earth badge.

"I grew a veggie garden with zuccini, peppers,corn and tomatoes (and herbs) and am even trying some quinoa. Oh, and pie pumpkins, butternut squash and potatoes.I use no fertilizers or pest control; only compost. I have researched organic pest control and have some soapy water and milky spore ready. And I read Montrose, Life in a Garden. Nice read.

So far so good. I have two beautiful pie pumpkins, tons of zuccinni, a handful of large tomatoes and a good number of cherry tomatoes. The corn is looking good. I have butternut squash going crazy. The potato leaves are dying back. I've harvested several green peppers. Not sure if I can upload more than one photo, but I have more if you need them!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  10:40:58 AM  Show Profile
Denise Meister, (Denisemgm, #1976) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

"I made a chai tea concentrate that smells and tastes delicious. I also made graham crackers. Homemade nutella is next on my list of unprocessed foods.

Regarding the tea, the super fabulous news is that the sweetener is honey rather than white sugar. When I had it for breakfast, I added some hot water to mellow the spicy-ness and also added frothed milk. It was way better than even my local coffee shop's recipe. I'll be making it a lot this winter. My graham crackers weren't as pretty as MaryJanes, but they tasted great. I cut them into squares to economize the dough. The kids and I made s'mores using the home made crackers, and it amplified the yummy-ness of s'mores by a lot. I've made graham crackers before, and now my kids prefer mine over store bought. Yay!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  10:51:06 AM  Show Profile
Denise Meister, (Denisemgm, #1976) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I completely cleaned out ALL kitchen cupboards-inside and out.

It took a few days to finish this job, though my kids also volunteered to help a little, so that made the scrubbing of the cabinets a little easier. When it came to storage containers, I filled a grocery bag with the containers I barely use and took it to my local thrift store.

I did have a small bag of leftover lids that I'm holding onto for a few months in case the container shows back up (my husband is notorious for taking leftovers to the office and not brining back the containers).I did have an "A Ha!" moment when I figured out to use tension rods to help keep my cutting boards and cooling racks organized. See the picture. What fun to get a merit badge for cleaning and organizing one's kitchen!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  10:57:44 AM  Show Profile
Denise Meister, (Denisemgm, #1976) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Self Sufficiency badge.

"I dry my own herbs every summer. I made MaryJane's spice blends, and I gave some to my sister-in-law who also wants to make spice blends from scratch.

A few years ago, we bought the Excaliber drying machine. We use it to dry oregano, basil, thyme, onions, cherries, blueberries. It was a great purchase, well worth it.

I made the Trelingua blend, the Mexican blend, and the Indian blend for my kitchen. I used the Trelingua blend when I made hamburgers, and it tasted delicious. MaryJane's Mexican blend is good, though I'll probably use less cinnamon the next time I make it. I definitely intend to make the MaryJane's spice blends again."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  11:03:18 AM  Show Profile
Denise Meister, (Denisemgm, #1976) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Self Sufficiency badge.

"I made apple pie filling. I can pizza sauce. I learned how to pickle cucumbers.

I've made apple pie filling for about three years now, and we LOVE it in the winter. It's probably the fastest dessert I make because I nearly always make apple crisp with it. I try to make at least two batches every fall for the winter. This allows me to give a couple jars away as well. We make a lot of homemade pizza at our house, so we typically make at least 30 half-pints of canned pizza sauce. It's wonderful to have sauce made from tomatoes in the garden.

Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of pickles, though my husband and children love them, espcially when they are from the garden. I learned how to pickle from my husband, though he's the one who does it regularly in our house. In the picture are canned applesauce, canned peaches, pickes, and just a sliver of an image of pizza sauce."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  11:09:14 AM  Show Profile
Denise Meister, (Denisemgm, #1976) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"I keep a compost heap.
We've had the compost bins for a couple years now, though my husband kind of dislikes them. In the summer we toss in garden clippings, uncooked food (no meat), egg shells, and maple leaves in the fall.

Usually I send the kids out to dump the day's leftover rinds, shells, and whatnot. You have to look closely at the graphic on the the photo-it will tell you where the compost is. I'm not that great at manipulating photos."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page