Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  11:14:27 AM  Show Profile
Denise Meister, (Denisemgm, #1976) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"I made a button bracelet.

I saw this knotted bracelet on etsy and decided to make one on my own.
I love the way it turned out, though it's too big for my wrist, so I'm saving it to give as a gift."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  11:28:14 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong, (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Little Squirts badge.

"We have offered more than one neighborhood bike repair "clinic" day.
Because my husband's favorite place to shop is the local salvage company he has brought home several bicycles that needed some tender loving care. So we have cleaned, repaired, replaced parts, refurbished and gave new life to several bicycles for our family or whoever needs one.

What a rewarding experience to share some skills with others and to also see these little treasures of transportation back in service."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  11:46:23 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong, (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an intermediate level Stargazing Chicks badge.

"The book “SEEING IN THE DARK” was another one I had to wait a VERY LONG time to get through our library. My husband has the book “THE STARGAZER’S HANDBOOK: An Atlas to the Night Sky” by Giles Sparrow which is an EXCELLENT book. It has a chapter on the changing skies, the solar system, and the constellations with diagrams of the constellation. There is the monthly sky guide which has diagrams of what can be seen which month in the northern or southern hemisphere. There is a “key” to the stars and deep sky objects. I found this book to be very helpful. We also have a computer program called “The Sky” which is also extremely helpful with all kinds of tools for studying the stars and constellations.

My stargazing log has lots of clear night activity and we are fortunate to live where our starry skies are very starry and very frequent. We have had some quite cloudy nights and some that were obscured by smoke from massive wildfires. I was able to chart, diagram and observe ALL kinds of stars and constellations, including a bit of Jupiter and Andromeda.

We enjoyed a “Star Party” (one of several) on June 23rd with family members. It was a beautiful night and we were able to identify several constellations including: ursa Minor, Cassiopeia, Ursa Major, Bootes, Libra, Virgo, and others. It was exciting!!! Stargazing is a serious hobby and when possible my husband gets his telescope out... WOW!!!

I have a much better understanding of the night skies and things that are better seen at some times than other times.
I am amazed at what is out there!!! Absolutely stunning!!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  11:53:33 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong, (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an expert level Stargazing Chicks badge.

"Because of my husband's knowledge on the stars and night skies he has helped me see some of the more obscure celestial sights. Very brief moments of Mercury, possibility of Uranus, but not quite sure.

By using his telescope we've had better opportunity to observe moons, different stars, the possibility of meteors and comet. Had the rare chance to see zodiacal light on a moonless night, northern lights, lunar eclipse and lots of "falling stars".

The telescope is an awesome tool for observing things in the night sky that you wouldn't be able to see otherwise.

With this tool, all the books and charts, and the computer program we have, we are able to observe and learn so much! I don't know that we'll ever stop learning about the starry night skies!!!! But it sure is fun, and pleasurable, to just look! Look and enjoy!!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  11:59:53 AM  Show Profile
Crystal Halliwell, (metrohippymom, #3197) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Let's Get Physical badge.

"From 6/15-7/15 I set goals to lose one pound a week. I planned to do this by exercising regularly and eating 4-400 calorie meals.

I lost 7 lbs!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  12:05:42 PM  Show Profile
Crystal Halliwell, (metrohippymom, #3197) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"I wrote my business plan; the name of my business is Metrohippymom Designs. Actually I did this a little backwards as I've been working on my business since about the time I joined the sisterhood. I have a lot of things in place already and will be ready to launch soon!

My business plan wouldn't upload, but I promise there is one...it's two pages and covers company description, market analysis, Responsibility, timeline, finances and marketing."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  12:11:31 PM  Show Profile
Crystal Halliwell, (metrohippymom, #3197) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"Hello: I researched the legalities for my etsy shop called Metrohippymom Designs. Other that remembering to pay my taxes next year, there isn't much to do except tweak my store policies. Funding is in place and business cards are printed. I'm trying to attach a photo of my cards.

It is going great. I have photographed all my jewelry and now I just need to list them. Store is there, just needs inventory. Metrohippymomdesigns.com"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  09:29:57 AM  Show Profile
Denise Meister, (Denisemgm, #1976) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"I like horses! All right, all right. I do have horse dreams. Always have, actually. I haven't ever owned a horse, though I see it happening in the future-maybe within 5 years. Now that my kids are older and interested in horses themselves, I think owning a horse is good for responsibility and work ethic, not to mention good fun when riding.

Until then, there are many farms in my area that have 2-4 horses. We got up close most recently at our local county fair with several horses looking for some attention. As for breeds, call me superficial, but I'm attracted to paints (like the one behind the horse in the picture). I haven't done all the research yet to determine if it's the appropriate horse for my family. What I do know is that a 15-hand horse is the best size for us at this moment."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  09:42:53 AM  Show Profile
Denise Meister, (Denisemgm, #1976) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"We raise our own beef cattle. I was on the verge of being a vegetarian several years ago because of the way corporately raised animals are treated (not just beef, but chicken, turkey's and pigs). In the past few years, my husband has traded services for pure bred Hereford cattle. We raise them three miles away at with his father's small herd. While my father-in-law is not labeled organic, he kind of naturally is. With the exception of some antibiotics only if the health of the cow warranting it, he raises his beef to BE cows.

What I love about his methods is that the calfs stay with their mothers for several months, their grazing area is large with natural water source and shade. He moves them to different pastures at least once a year.

As for the beef itself, it tends to be leaner because the only corn it gets are the few weeks the cows forage after the corn fields have been harvested. Because the beef is so lean, it means we have to marinate and tenderize it, which means we have to plan ahead a little more, but it's worth it to know our beef is healthy and ethically raise. Right now, we ourselves own four cattle. One heifer, one cow, one bull calf (pictured), and one bull."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  09:51:01 AM  Show Profile
Denise Meister, (Denisemgm, #1976) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Stargazing Chicks badge.

"I observed the night sky for several nights. I've always enjoyed looking at the night sky, and my favorite constellation is Orion with his belt of three bright stars (among them Betelgeuse and Rigel). What I really love is that my kids now can spot several constellations without me telling them where they are. The stories of how Orion and Casseopia were put into the heavens are our favorites.

Ursa Magor, or the Big Dipper, has its own prominent star: Polaris. I've been finding Ursa Major since I was a child. You can tell the difference between a star and a planet because planets are brighter and less twinkly than a star. They also tend to be lower in the sky, more on horizon of the arc.

As for arc, I'm still learning about that. I understand arc in terms of how the earth is tilting during a particular season and how the moon sometimes has a shorter arc through the night that is lower, though I haven't observed it often enough to notate when or how often."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  10:19:40 AM  Show Profile
Denise Meister, (Denisemgm, #1976) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I've got my reusable shopping bags and use them regularly. I've actually had my reusable bags for a while now. I prefer the Ecosilk bags from Australia. A friends was living in Australia for 6 months a couple years ago and sent me two bags. I showed them to my campus' Environmental advisor, who then ordered some for the group to sell as fundraisers. She continues to order the bags.

I think I have about 10 of them, and they are wonderful because they fold up into a slim bit for carrying one or two directly in my purse."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  10:27:19 AM  Show Profile
Katrina Tylee, (DKatTylee, #3214) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level "Out There" Women badge.

"I found all my old camping friends. My old water proof canister for the strike anywhere matches, my Gerber tool, my Buck knife, my roll of rope etc. I used to guide in the back-country so I had all this stuff tucked away. Now that I have a family I had to add a few things though. Another container for matches, a sewing kit, my mess kit needs to be expanded upon, and we got a new coffee pot. Yes, it is a survival item as it is perfect for warming water or cooking food if need be.

We went camping over the weekend and luckily didn't need any of the survival gear. Just happily used the coffee pot as a coffee pot. There really weren't any plants ready to go where we went just yet. A few gooseberries but it has been such a cold wet year everything is a little behind."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  10:36:13 AM  Show Profile
Jamie Crosby, (jcrosby2019, #3323) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I thought this was a perfect opportunity to do something my husband and I have discussed on many occasions but have never put into action. Getting rid of the chemical cleaners and go either all natural or make our own. Being able to put something into action and get a badge for it was a bonus. I got rid of all my chemical cleaners, did some research on making my own and went out shopping. I grabbed an old notebook and started righting down some more green ideas, taking notes from the current Maryjane Farms Magazine. I wrote my motto on the first page "clean green", as well as the recipes for the cleaning solutions.

I was surprised at how well the cleaning solutions worked. Then started to wonder why the other cleaners were ever made. The harsh chemicals bothered my children's sensitive skin, where the homemade ones seem to not have any effect."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  10:46:09 AM  Show Profile
Georgie Bender, (Georgie, #2538) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"I am a teacher and I took a Jr. composting class in order to get other teachers involved in composting and vermicomposting in our school garden. They gave me a few worms to get started with. I also took a class through the city to be a Master composter. We have to do 20 hours to get our city certification, which I have, and an additional 20 hours to be reconized by the state as a Master composter. I have 2 bins that I have been keeping for over a year now and I will be receiving another bin for achieving master composter at the city level. I think I will give it to my sister, she is better at gardening but she doesn't have a bin. I have also just finished the book by Amy Stewart, The Earth Moves. I found it really interesting and I am going to read the other book that was suggested also.

I wasn't really able to get our composting of the ground at school, because we moved schools, and the school that closed we were not able to move the garden stuff the 1st year. I gave all my materials to the science lead in hopes that they would carry on. (I am not at the new school this year because we are also moving out to the country.) I am continuing with my master composting with the city. We bagged up 8 bags of sifted compost the other day. We are getting it ready for the school gardens when they get back into school to set up their beds for their cool weather crops. (If it will ever cool off here in Texas this year, ha ha.)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  11:14:54 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong, (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Community Action badge.

""Clean Up Our County" has been and will continue to be my project. Years and years ago I started with teaching my children about the value of proper disposal of trash. We worked together to "pick cans" and we recycled the aluminum for a little extra cash. Over the years I have made it my goal to talk about this issue with family, friends and neighbors and others in the county about the need for cleaning up the trash in the bar ditches, along the roads and even in our own yards. So, at that time we committed to and have followed through, cleaning up the ditches and road in our neighborhood and encouraging our neighbors to do the same.

There has been a far greater time committment to this than required. It is a long-term commitment. We have a much cleaner neighborhood and people who chose to dump nearby no longer do that. I have discussed this in Projects in our Henhouse, Farmgirls Southwest, titled "Clean Up Our County"."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  11:33:14 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong, (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Community Action badge.

"My "Clean Up Our County" project continues to be a long-term committment because people continue to trash up the ditches, roads and other areas in the community. I have written more than one letter to the editor of our paper addressing this ongoing problem. I have tried to encourage people to consider the availablity of recycling and the benefit we all gain by taking action.

We are able to recycle aluminum, glass and cardboard at the recycle center. We can recycle phone books to our local newspaper office. My husband very frequently "shops" at the local salvage yard and he takes the aluminum there and uses it as "cash". I regularly help neighbors with loading up recyclable items and hauling them to the center. I continue to keep the ditches, road and areas around and on our property cleaned up, including digging up thistles and other invasive weeds. Time involved in promoting this and working at it for the entire community far exceeds that required. And I (we) will continue this work, including helping others with recycling and doing the nitty-gritty work necessary. This has been discussed in Projects in our Henhouse, Farmgirls Southwest, titled "Clean Up Our County"."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  09:49:14 AM  Show Profile
Donna Kimball, (#2431) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"My daughter joined the Coast Guard and one of her fellow Coast Guardsman's wife was pregnant and delievered while they were in boot camp. So since he was willing to make a scarifice, I thought she deserved something special for her baby, since she would be all alone.
This is made with repoduction fabrics. This looks like a Granny quilt to me. I love it. The colors are of her choosing.

I mailed the quilt to her when they got at his new station in NY. She wsas thrilled. The design turned out different than what I started with. But it turned out great. I am sorry the picture is so small."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  10:17:40 AM  Show Profile
Janelle Muhlenkamp, (jtink84, #3179) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Nellie Make-do badge.

"I decided to make a throw blanket using nothing but old Star Wars shirts. I gathered shirts from thrift stores and friends. I made myself a 6x6 square pattern and cut out parts of each shirt. I sewed them together and used the same sized squares of the back shirts for the backing material.

It turned out WONDERFULLY! I just finished cutting the last of the fringe on my overnight shift at work."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  10:31:21 AM  Show Profile
Donna Kimball, (#2431) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge.

"I have stitched the 7 day teatowels. Embroidery. I loved doing them. They are to be a gift to the Rainbow Village. Getting 7 tea towels was interesting. Due to the fact stores dont carry that many in one kind any more. This really took me back to when I was a child. My aunt taught me to emroidery. Hand work is so wonderful.

The one that I thought would be the easiest was the hardest. First, the Friday wouldnt transfer, and second when it did, it was not that easy to do, but I made it, and they are done and I want to celebrate. Will deliver the towels this weekend with canned goods."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  11:07:04 AM  Show Profile
Donna Kimball, (Georgie, #2538) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Carp-hen-try badge.

"Painted my son's room, which is now our guest bedroom. I
changed out a ceiling fan with a light kit. I read the book and especially looked over the electrical chapter since I was going to change out the ceiling fan with a light kit. To my suprise I got that right the first time.

My son moved out to go to college and my husband and I wanted to move out to the country, so before we put our house up for sale I need to bring his room back into the mainstream. I started out by taping off the trim, because it is white and I didn’t need to paint it. I painted Kilz over the dark gray walls. I picked out a new color, whitish gray, for the walls and one for the doors, a shade darker to go with the tile floor. After all was dry and cleaned up I purchased a new ceiling fan with a light kit. I took down the old fan and installed the new one. I had my husband to check the wiring, just in case, and all was good. I purchased a new bed and bedding, brought in my old vanity and light and Volia! a new guest bedroom."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  11:14:09 AM  Show Profile
Crystal Halliwell, (metrohippymom, #3197) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"My business has launched at Metrohippymomdesigns.com,and I announced it on the forum http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52378, created a FB fan page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Metrohippymom-Designs/218967831475323?sk=wall and have shared with all of my friends and family.

I have made 1 sale through the site and 2 outside of the site already!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  11:22:25 AM  Show Profile
Crystal Halliwell, (metrohippymom, #3197) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I put together the beginner's sewing kit including my homemade pinkeeper.

It turned out great!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  11:32:38 AM  Show Profile
Crystal Halliwell, (metrohippymom, #3197) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I sewed all of the various seams listed including the straight seam by hand.

It turned out great, but...I didn't realize when I took pics I could only upload one picture, so I uploaded a picture of my favorite one. :-) I've been sewing for a while, so it was an easy task."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  11:38:47 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good To Your Mother Earth badge.

"We have been growing a garden for about 4 years now. Our first garden started with one hot pepper plant, green pepper plant and a tomato plant.

I have never use chemicals on my gardens, and have researched more natural ways to control pests. I encouraged my mother to start eating organic foods, and she now has a mini herb garden in her back yard as well. I also borrowed the book "Montrose" from our library several times to read through it."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2011 :  11:50:10 AM  Show Profile
Jamie Crosby, (jcrosby2019, #3323) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I used Simplicity Pattern E2010 for this half apron. I also used fabric I had at in my craft room that I had purchased on sale. This pattern took me over 3 hours to do. Some of that had to do with the fact I was working on it while my kids were still awake. This made for some distractions and a few times I had to rip out seams and do it again. I wear it every time I cook, clean or work in the garden.

I didn't like the final apron at first. I thought the pockets were too big and awkward, but once I used it while I worked in the garden and I loved it. I used the big pockets to carry in the green beans and peas I harvested."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page