Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  10:24:00 AM  Show Profile
Candace Hostetter, (sweettea, #3135) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have actually been collecting buttons for about 7 years now. We have made a couple interstate moves one of which we threw things we still regret throwing. One of the things that got pitched was my button collection. In an effort to boost my button collection and keep me from purchasing random buttons to mend clothes, I recently went to the local craft store and bought a container of buttons. Some of my buttons are kept in a tin in the dresser I use to house my sewing supplies.

I put the buttons that I bought from the craft store in a canning jar lamp I had on my desk. I had coffee beans in it, but poured out the coffee beans, washed it up and placed the buttons in the jar. It's very convenient as well as cute. I intend to continue to collect buttons. My mother has her buttons in a tin with the Dickenson's village printed on it. It's filled with many vintage buttons and I have fond memories of looking through her button tin. I hope that someday my button collection will be as memorable and beautiful as my mother's collection!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  10:52:48 AM  Show Profile
Janelle Muhlenkamp, (jtink84, #3179) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embriodery badge.

"I taught myself to cross stitch and decided to make a sampler wedding announcement for my friends who are getting married. I altered the pattern to be in their wedding colors and personalised it with their names and wedding date.

It turned out wonderfully! My friends absolutely loved that they now have a very personal wedding gift that they can cherish forever."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  11:00:29 AM  Show Profile
Janet Pinter, (Owwlady, #3128) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I have taken quilting classes at Patched Works in Elm Grove WI with Trudy Hughes.

I started as a complete beginner and have gone on to more advanced projects, both in class, and on my own. This is a picture of one of my beginner projects."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  12:48:26 PM  Show Profile
Rachael Bott, (Rachael, #1451) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"Not only am I using reusable bags, but they are cute ones I made!

People always ask me where I got the bags, I smile and just let them know I made them!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  12:52:22 PM  Show Profile
Rachael Bott, (Rachael, #1451) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"With the help of my Mum we went to the library and researched how to make our own laundry soap! It is so much fun!

We only use natural cleaning products and its great! I have a fun time making the soap. It helps you enjoy the simple life!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  12:56:39 PM  Show Profile
Rachael Bott, (Rachael, #1451) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Shopping Green badge.

"I work at an amazing retirement community! The Grandmas all use reusable bags. We have even had afternoon activities on making them. One Grandma joined in and taught us how to take plastic bags and make them in to reusable bags! Its been so fun!

Not only is it good for the environment, but these bags are cute, and easier to carry! We made some with special lining to keep food cool, and some special sizes for carrying bread, and even extra padding for eggs!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  1:15:02 PM  Show Profile
Rachael Bott, (Rachael, #1451) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge.

"In my MaryJane Farmgirl Binder I have a special section for volunteering. I have spent a lot of time research volunteering, and recorded my accomplishments!

I worked for 10 hours making animal care packages for animals at the local Humane Society. These contained blankets, toys, and homemade cat and dog treats! The facility was so happy! I also donated unused medical equipment I had left over from IV therapy. Instead of throwing away dressings and Saline Syringes, they were used to help the animals!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  2:33:06 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Pay It Forward badge.

"I didn't think that I would be able to do this one because I have a problem with hypoglycemia and sometimes need to eat "right now" or else I feel weak, nauseated and have a slight headache.However, on Friday, after performing a wedding ceremony at Amicalola Falls, we ate their buffet lunch and then I didn't eat anything for dinner because I was still full.

I figured that the meal I skipped was worth $3.50 so I will donate that amount to the RIC RAK which is our local thrift store and food pantry.I was surprised that I was able to do this, but I really didn't even think about food later that day. That was a nice feeling."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  2:39:28 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Pay It Forward badge.

"I joined our local Georgia Farm Girls in September of 2010, the month after MaryJane came to visit our group. The group supports the Unseen Hands Ministry, which provides food for the needy. Starting with that meeting, I have brought two items to the group each month, with the exception of Christmas, which was a party for all of us.

I have contributed 50 items to this food pantry since I have been doing it for 10 months now. I plan to continue it since it is something that the entire group contributes to and there is a great need in our counties at the present time, with the economy the way it is now.

So even though I didn't organize it, per se, I have contributed the 50 items by now."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  2:43:27 PM  Show Profile
Christine Garard, (cgarard, #3133) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Let's Get Physical badge.

"I set an exercise/weight loss goal and stuck with it for more than a month.

Hurray! I've lost five pounds, and went on a rugged trail hike that proved to me I'm in even better physical shape than I thought."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  2:53:47 PM  Show Profile
Christine Garard, (cgarard, #3133) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I put together a sewing kit with a homemade pinkeeper.
I actually did this for the first time 15 years ago after I first got married. Now, I'm anxious to move on to the next level and expand my expertise."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  2:57:47 PM  Show Profile
Christine Garard, (cgarard, #3133) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I made a simple quilt.

I've been quilting for about 11 years now, and I'm excited to begin teaching my girls how to quilt."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  5:07:22 PM  Show Profile
Candace Hostetter, (sweettea, #3135) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I made the Multi-Purpose Crocheted Shawl on pg 68 and 69 in MaryJane's Stitching Room book. I made it extra large so that I can cuddle up in it on a chilly summer evening on the back porch. I made it the beginning of June and whizzed through the project in a couple of days. Due to company and a busy schedule, it's taken me till now to submit this badge information.

It turned out well. My daughter came to visit us for three weeks in June. She has been in the Navy for 5 years and has been deployed to very tropical climates during that time. Her body adjusted to those warm climates. Coming back to Minnesota to visit us was a bit chilly for her. She adopted my shawl while she was here. I also taught her to crochet. After 5 years in the Navy she wanted to get in touch with her domestic side again. We worked on something simple...granny squares."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  10:42:00 AM  Show Profile
Rachael Bott, (Rachael, #1451) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Green Energy badge.

"I took a bus load of residents (a few are in my Farmgirl chapter) down to the "green" power station, and we got a tour, and presentation on how our city is producing "green power"! We learned all about the different power types, and how some cities in the county make power for their own cities. We also went to the library and learned about ways to make your own energy.

We went to the USU lab and learned about how they are using "pond scum" as a renewable fuel source for cars. It was amazing to learn all about power!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  10:50:56 AM  Show Profile
Rachael Bott, (Rachael, #1451) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Green Energy badge.

"After tracking our expenses, we learned that we were using a lot of electricity, and did not make efforts to shut the lights off! We had a LOT of work to do!

To make our home more energy efficient and with help from my wonderful husband we...
*Started making sure all lights were off when we left the house.
*Curtains were closed and windows opened at night to cool in the summer. Breeze barriers to keep in warmth in the winter.
*Started using a toaster oven instead of the big stove.
*Started carpooling to work! (This is BIG, I am not a morning person!)
*Made sure the animal pen lights, and other lights were on timers, and not left on all the time."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  10:55:05 AM  Show Profile
Rachael Bott, (Rachael, #1451) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Green Energy badge.

"We continue to keep track of energy expenses and usage. I have recently completed a project helping a friend make an outdoor cooking fireplace, and she has been teaching me about solar panels.

In the spring we learned how to use the sun and how to make mini greenhouses for veggies. I am excited to be learning how to do these projects and participate in them. After spending about 40 hours learning, I feel confidant in being able to slowly add these features to my little farm!

My friends solar panels and added sky light project is wonderful. I feel good knowing how to do these projects. The sun is powerful! My husband and I are adding an addition to our home next spring and we have studied up on solar power and using the sun! I can't wait to be using this technology next year! We have also learned about collecting rainwater, and using it to water"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  11:04:18 AM  Show Profile
Rachael Bott, (Rachael, #1451) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"My husband and I are only using natural cleaners throughout our home. We have written a mission statement: "In our home fresh and clean we'll be, no more chemicals harming me!"
With this pledge we have dedicated to using natural products. We even use pesticides that are earth friendly, and use natural ways for keeping pests away! I have a "Mary Jane" Book. Inside is a chapter that contains recipes, ideas, and thoughts about keeping natural cleaning products. If anyone asks me about it (which is at least twice a month) I rip out the book and share what works!

I went to the library to prepare for the next level of making my own, and how to clean naturally, especially since we recently started a mini farm! I felt proud while I cleaned knowing I was using natural products to clean my home!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  11:11:05 AM  Show Profile
Rachael Bott, (Rachael, #1451) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Going Green badge.

"My Mum and I went to the library and found several books on how to make your own laundry soap! We also learned to make goats milk soap. It's fantastic! We have an awesome time! The soap works wonders and makes your skin smooth!

Its amazing how many "cleaning" products come right from your kitchen! I'm never without lemons! They whiten better than clorox!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  11:16:24 AM  Show Profile
Rachael Bott, (Rachael, #1451) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Going Green badge.

"We have started a mini farm in the past year and it has been amazing! Part of that has been doing what we can to be "green". We only use special barn paint for our coops and animal shelters! It protects the animals and is non-toxic. We put up a clothesline, and NOTHING is better than a towel washed with homemade soap, and stiffened on the line in the sun! We have spent time with neighbors and friends trading ideas and helping each other! We have our own little "green community in the neighborhood".

Using non-toxic cleaners, paints, and products makes me feel good. Not only are we helping the planet but enjoying the simple life. Who doesn't love the smell of freshly sun dried sheets on the bed?"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  11:43:00 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer Drake, (guerin, #919) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner, intermediate and expert level Going Green badge.

"For the beginner level we have gotten rid of all of our non-environmental friendly cleansers. We either make our own when time permits or we buy eco friendly cleansers.

My mission statement is to "vote with my dollars". My votes in Washington don't seem to do much to help get our great country moving in the right direction, but the fact that the organic movement and eco friendly choices have increased so much in the last 10 or so years tell that "voting with dollars" is ABSOLUTELY working.

For the intermediate level, we already make our own cleansers. We make laundry soap and I also use plain ol' baking soda for most other cleaning projects. I clean the counters, sink, toilets, bathtubs,etc with plain ol' soda. For the cleansers I don't make, I always buy eco friendly.

For the expert level, we do have a drying rack inside and we also have a clothesline out back. We use them as much as possible (since I am a working mom, it's not as often as I would like, but it is better than never using a clothesline.)

We also recently painted our main hallway and family room area and purchased the No VOC paint to complete the project. I honestly couldn't tell much difference in the paint (vs standard paint), the only thing I noticed is that it took a little bit longer to dry, but I can certainly be patient with that. We have been charting our watt usage for several years now. Our home is almost 40 years old and our HVAC unit was original the house. Our electric bill kept going up and up and up and up. Our electric heater has always been powered by coal since we live in southern OH and have a coal power plant practically in our backyard.
We decided this past December that it was time for a change. We researched the various electric companies in our area to see who was offering green energy and sadly none are. We were not able to find a company in this area yet who was skilled to install solar panels, so we opted to install a geothermal heat unit that combines heater, air conditioner and water heater all in one unit. We paid a $600 electric bill for the month of December, had the unit installed in January and our next bill was only $250. Our watt usage has gone down by literally 2/3 of what our previous usage was. We have always been energy frugal with everything else in our home (energy star appliances, low flow faucets, energy saving bulbs, etc) so now we know that the biggest energy drain was that old HVAC. We still track our watt usage and try to continue to lower it each month. Right now in the heat of the summer, I love that my geothermal is for all intents providing me with free air conditioning and water heating. My favorite part of this journey has been teaching my two boys about making responsible choices. I can see that it is paying off as they make comments about being frugal with resources in other areas of our lives."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  12:11:56 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Drake, (guerin, #919) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner, intermediate and expert level Shopping Green badge.

"For the beginning level, I have a large IKEA blue bag full of cloth shopping bags that live in my trunk so that I ALWAYS have a cloth bag on me whenever I go shopping. The only exception to that is when I need more paper bags (to collect my paper recycling in), I will sometimes allow the grocery to bag my items in paper.

For the intermediate level, I have purged my home of all non eco-friendly cleaners.

I am not a member of a farmgirl chapter. (There was not one near me the last time I checked, but that may be different now). I run a blog called 9-5 Frugal (www.925frugal.com) up until about last August. I posted lots of tips for frugality, being eco friendly, ways to "put by" even as a full time working mom... I have not posted since last Aug because my work is short handed and we are doing a lot of overtime, but I am keeping the blog active so that I can start posting again very soon.

I love living an eco friendly lifestyle and I find with each change I make, it gets easier and easier to continue to add more new ways I can live eco friendly."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  12:30:28 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Drake, (guerin, #919) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner, intermediate and expert level Community Service badge.

"I have been an active member of our local St. Vincent De Paul society for the last 8 years.
The service that we provide to our community is to give people a "leg up" in their time of need.
We get calls for all manner of needs. Rent, utilities, food, help with prescriptions, diapers, you name it.
Myself and one other person take the calls each week and divides them out among our members. The members then visit with the family requesting help and then they help them as much as we are able. Our goal is to help that family over a hump, not to become a permanent source of funds.
We also run a Back-to-School program with many other local churches. Each church donates about 50 backpacks apiece filled to the brim with school supplies that are then given away to the needy in our area at a "carnival" that one of the other churches puts together. My son's scout den helps us to stuff these back packs with the school supplies each year.
We also run a Thanksgiving and Christmas program for the families that we have helped over the course of the year. Each family is provided two LARGE boxes of food at both holidays and at Christmas, we collect a wish list from each family and put together a "Giving Tree" at our church. (The members purchase the "wishes" for the family members, they wrap them and then we hand deliver them to the needy families). I personally run the giving tree each year and LOVE to see how generous our church is with these families. For example, last Christmas one 8 year old girl who "wished" for a coat, not only got a coat, but she was also gifted with a Wii game system. Her father was in tears when he found out. I only wish I knew which member of the church blessed that little girl so that I could explain to them how much they helped her adjust to her new home and divorce situation. The father called us to say that the Wii was the attraction needed for the neighborhood kids to begin to interact with his daughter. He couldn't thank us enough.

I love volunteering with Saint Vincent de Paul. I feel like I "mess up" on every single call I make. Maybe I mentally judged that person for their circumstances, or maybe I wasn't prompt enough in getting them help, etc. Then the phone will ring again with another call for help and it reminds me that God still thinks I'm worth working on and here he is sending me another opportunity to "get it right"."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  12:51:57 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Drake, (guerin, #919) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"At every meal, my husband and my two boys and I, hold hands, say our prayer and before we eat our food, we take turns saying what each of us is grateful for (for that day). While I am not writing them down, this is a tradition we have been carrying on since the boys were babies.

I love that my boys (and my hubby and I) have at least one daily reminder to STOP, slow down, and after prayer, think of at least ONE thing we are grateful for in that day. What I love more is that my children won't eat if we are out or at someone else's home, until we have all gone around the table saying what we are grateful for. Our extended family is used to the tradition now and they automatically know to do this when my boys come over to eat."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  1:06:23 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Drake, (guerin, #919) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level ChillOver ComeOver badge.

"I honestly can't remember the exact date that I purchased MaryJane's ChillOver Powder but I feel like it may have been last August. I am going to put that date below since I can't remember exactly.

I made the "Make your Knees Weak" Chocolate ChillOver that is listed in her recipe book. I loved it, but my non-gelatin eating hubby and kids didn't care for it. I think I need to try to make something else to see if I can pique their interest."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  1:47:19 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Drake, (guerin, #919) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level BakeOver MakeOver badge.

"I received MaryJane's bakeover pan as a birthday gift last year (Probably when I got the ChillOver Powder actually). I have tried many of the recipes listed in MaryJane's Lifebook. I especially love that her BakeOver mix recipe is listed there so I don't have to wait until I purchase some from MaryJane in order to eat a bake over.

We have had mixed results. I love the ones I have made with sweet potatoes and onions. My kids like anything with fruit and the more desserty bake overs. Since I work 9-5 I am not able to experiment as much as I want to, but I LOVE the concept and LOVE how simple they are put together!"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page