Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  4:17:58 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Marshall (nancym, #159) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level 'Out There' Women badge.

"As a hiker I have long kept the 10 essentials + some extras in my backpack. Map, Compass, flashlight, extra food, extra water (or purifying tablets), warm clothing and waterproof outerwear, first aid kit, matches in a waterproof container, knife, whistle. I've now added some shiny cord and a small mirror.

I've always known the obvious edible native plants such as the berries: salal, kinnikinnick, Oregon grape, salmonberry, wild strawberry, and huckleberry. I've now added miners lettuce (which grows abundantly on our property), clover, wild ginger rhizomes and clover to my edible plant list. I've also found douglas fir branches make a nice tea!

I have always enjoyed being outdoors. I am really developing an interest in foraging native plants and plan to continue learning about what is edible in our part of the country."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  4:23:22 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Let's Get Physical badge.

"My husband and I both set a goal to work out together at the gym, for 5-6 days a week.

Personally, I lost 10 1/2 pounds and dropped one pants size. We started getting up at 4:30am due to his work schedule, but it works for us. Even some of the kids joined us on a few days and weekends."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  4:31:00 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Horton (Kat38, #2695) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I researched homemade cleaning products from many sources and found recipes that fit my needs and life style. I compiled all the recipes in an index card book that is bound with metal rings so I could hang it on my cleaning basket. Now I can easily and quickly whip up the products when needed. I also collected the containers for the homemade products and ingredients needed to make my own cleaning products. I put the basic mixing ingredients (i.e. baking soda, vinegar, etc.) in glass and clear containers so I can see the contents and quickly know when I am running low. I organized a closet space for all ingredients designated as basic cleaning ingredients so I could keep those separate from kitchen ingredients and it makes cleaning prep a snap.

This turned out great. I found recipes that were simple and easy to make while being 100% safe, even edible. I found recipes for everything from sweet scented window cleaners and laundry sachets to carpet deodorizers and wood cleaner. All are safe for my family and pets. My organization of the products makes it beautiful to look at, easy to work with and inspires me to want to clean just so I can make use of such lovely items."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  4:35:40 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Horton (Kat38, #2695) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"I located several horse training centers, riding arenas and organization and I researched the opportunities and horse breeds available. There are many breeds that are wonderful and that I would love to one day bring into my life. I went out to Hearts and Horses and was able to groom the horses and meet the women involved in their care. I also located and organization that I would like to volunteer with.

I am very excited about this opportunity. Doors that I thought were closed seem to be opening and I am thrilled with the prospect of working with this amazing animals. The dream of one day bringing a horse into my daily life is now a possibility."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  4:40:54 PM  Show Profile
Patricia Nickols (#2414) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Knitting badge.

"I participated in the call for knitted caps for newborns in third world countries. I knitted several caps from yarn I had.

I knitted several caps and honed my knitting skills a little more. Maybe a sweater next!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  11:42:18 AM  Show Profile
Kathleen Horton (Kat38, #2695) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I went around the house and collected all the buttons that have gathered in the back of drawers and in small containers and coin jars and found that I had over 100 buttons scattered around my house!! Unbelievable!!

I now have a tin of buttons and I know where they are. It also motivated me to clean out several drawers and junk areas and organize my life...who knows maybe I will learn how to sew!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  11:48:58 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an expert level Grease Chicks badge.

"I do know how to and have performed the required tasks on my vehicles many times over the past many years. These tasks include: changing a tire, replace spark plugs, flush and change coolant. I have also done oil changes, replaced fuel filters, air filters, PCV valves, etc.

My car is a 97 model Malibu which I bought new and it now has relatively low mileage and I have been diligent to do proper care and maintenance all along the way. We have other vehicles but this one is the one I drive and take care of.

Just in this new year of 2011 these are the things I’ve had to learn how to do and would be NEW tasks:

1. JANUARY 18th – change the headlamp unit, which is no small task and is rather expensive.
2. FEBRUARY 5th – understand the workings of the Passlock Anti-Theft System and what to do if it is triggered. If this is triggered I cannot start my car until it is given about 10-15 minutes to reset. I have learned now to disable the system, learning on other than my car. It is NOT recommended as it causes other problems therefore I have not disabled the system on my car.
3. FEBRUARY 15-17th – how to troubleshoot and eliminate serpentine belt “chirping” noise when the belt is only 4 months old, the tensioner is only 4 months old and the tensioner is self-adjusting. There are a variety of reasons for this and several ways of eliminating it. In this case, it was needing to replace the belt.
4. ADDITIONALLY, troubleshooting the reasons for erratic display of ABS brake warning light on the dash board. Learning how to understand the workings of the hub bearing unit and module, how the scanner helps detect problems.

I have learned how to do internet searchs to help with car issues, as well a study our Haynes repair manuals. I have taken my car to the same mechanics ever since I bought it and have a good relationship with them. They are willing to do “show and tell” with me so that I am better able to learn."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  12:00:14 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (MissLiss, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge.

"I made 80% of my Christmas Presents this year!

I gave jams, hand embroidered tea towels, scone in a jar mixes, handmade ornaments and fleece blankets for Christmas gifts this year. I've gotten compliments on the blankets and everyone who got a jam has requested to be put on my "list" for next years gifts! I think that means they were a hit!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  12:16:58 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (MissLiss, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Homespun Christmas badge.

"I brought a tree to my Nonni, my Grandmother, who currently lives in an assisted living facility.

My daughters and I made enough ornaments to cover a small 3 foot fake tree and delivered it to my Nonni's room in the facility. She loved it! They are not allowed to have real trees due to allergies and other sensitivities of some of the residents, but the fake tree was welcome. We covered it with our handmade ornaments and Nonni said it was the best gift she had ever gotten! The kids made snowflake ornaments out of popsicle sticks and I knitted mittens, sewed felt birds and a few other things. It turned out very cute and Nonni was the talk of the town - everyone stopped by to check out her tree!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  12:21:59 PM  Show Profile
Regina Wasson (farmgirl, #1023) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level BakeOver MakeOver badge.

"I attended a BakeOver Taste gathering. I made a mexican bake over. We were able to taste a variety of BakeOvers. Some with beef, chicken, potatoes, herbs and even sweet.

This experience has gotten me thinking about so many different ways that I could use this for meals. It also gave me a new way to incorprate vegetables into my families diet."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  12:26:25 PM  Show Profile
Anna Howard (earth mama, #2700) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I revived my basic knitting skills taught to me by my grandmother when I was 8 and knit several basic scarves and hats for my god-children, niece and nephew for Christmas.

All the projects turned out well.
See pics here: http://wayfaringartist.com/2010/12/26/knit-one-or-six/"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  12:30:42 PM  Show Profile
Anna Howard (earth mama, #2700) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"I started a compost pile last winter, and I've read "Worms Eat my Garbage."

Have since started a second pile, and last year used my own compost in my garden beds.

Pics here along with instructional blogging post: http://wayfaringartist.com/2010/03/09/oh-compost/"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  12:35:02 PM  Show Profile
Anna Howard (earth mama, #2700) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"A year and a half ago I quit my job and launched my photography and design business full time.

I've been making a decent amount with it especially considering how new the business is! It's not a full-time income yet, but it's approaching an average of half-time, and I've been able to expand the design wing.

View my business website here: http://dailyikon.com"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  12:39:44 PM  Show Profile
Anna Howard (earth mama, #2700) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"I started my business in April 2010, researched the legal end, got a business license, opened a business checking account, and have since designed several rounds of business cards as I solidified my branding.

So far, so good! Business is going strong, and have expanded my design portion (previously it was all photography).

http://dailyikon.com (business website)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  12:46:42 PM  Show Profile
Anna Howard (earth mama, #2700) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"I started my own business a year and half ago. Business is going strong. I've done a Groupon promotion, run Facebook ads, and done a ton of networking. To celebrate this spring, I bought a bunch of perennial flower seeds to start so I'll have cut flowers that keep on giving!

Business is going awesome, up to about a half-time income, and I see it hitting the full-time income mark within another year.

Business website: http://dailyikon.com"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  12:52:01 PM  Show Profile
Anna Howard (earth mama, #2700) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"Last spring I started a small chicken flock in a portable ark. I feed a standard pellet to have food on hand, but I give them both free range opportunities and lots of organic veggie scraps, bits of homemade bread leftovers and so forth, so I would say at least 50% of their food is organic as we don't treat our grass, and I buy almost all organic veggies (all local in season! I barter for a CSA).

Chickens are doing great, and I get eggs every day. To see pics of them when they were new, view this blog post: http://wayfaringartist.com/2010/03/16/meet-the-ladies/"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  12:59:41 PM  Show Profile
Anna Howard (earth mama, #2700) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge.

"I made about 1/3 to 1/2 of the Christmas ornaments for our tree this year, along with about 90% of the presents we sent to family and friends.

So fun! And folks loved my cookies in a jar and ornament gifts.

Christmas tree tour with links to ornament tutorials (ornaments were hand-made and almost completely up-cycled as well!) http://wayfaringartist.com/2010/12/16/christmas-tree-tour/

Hand-made presents for god-children, niece and nephew here: http://wayfaringartist.com/2010/12/26/knit-one-or-six/

And last but not least, my cookies in a jar adaptation and decoration here: http://wayfaringartist.com/2010/12/14/cookies-in-a-jar-great-for-gifting/"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  1:31:23 PM  Show Profile
Mari-lyn Lobinsky (LucyLobo511, #2571) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge.

"I cross stitched a bookmark from scratch.

Pretty."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  1:53:04 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Marshall (nancym, #159) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner, intermediate, and expert level Let's Get Physical badges.

"I decided to sign up for the Danskin triathlon-something I'd been considering for years but never thought I'd actually be able to do. I was hoping it would motivate me to get active and lose some weight. I joined a gym and started excercising, took swimming lessons, and watched what I ate.

My husband was pretty sure aliens had snatched his wife. Not only did I complete the Danskin triathlon, I've done it twice, as well as well as 8 other triathlons, 23 5K's, and a half marathon. I've lost 35 pounds. I have made a lot of like minded friends along the way which really helps keep me motivated. I've definitely made a lifestyle change for the better and I love it!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  2:54:46 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Let's Get Physical badge.

"I had gained some weight after getting married and before I got pregnant with my first born. I got pregnant soon after my daughter was born so I wasn't able to lose the extra 10 pounds I gained while pregnant with her. I gained 15 pounds with my son. I decided to finally get back to my pre pregnancy weight once and for all. I read some books and decided to go with the "Flat Belly Diet" by Liz Vaccariello. I followed it to a "T" and sure enough, it works!

I followed the plan perfectly the first week, but I couldn't afford to use the recipes they provided in the different "Flat Belly Diet" books they have so I just followed their main principles the rest of the 3 weeks. I lost 10.5 pounds and 11 inches in just one month! I also started doing pilates 15-20 minutes every other day. On my off days from pilates sometimes I just feel an extra need to workout so I do some relaxing and rejuvenating yoga routines. It works so well following their general principles I've already lost another pound in the start of my second month following this plan! I know once the weather gets more kid friendly I will be able to take my kids on walks and get even more exercise! I am only one size away from being in pre pregnancy clothes! Yay!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  3:03:49 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"Since I also started my new diet and exercise plan I also wanted to introduce my family to a new organic food each week. I thought it would be a good way to try new foods so I do not end up with picky kids! Dinner time is adventure time! My husband also thinks this is a great idea!

The first week we tried organic avocado. I never had an avocado so I have no idea what a conventional one tastes like. The organic one we tried was amazing!
The second week we tried organic kale. I never tried kale before either and it is relatively cheap and we fell in love with it! What a versatile food!
The third week we tried organic lemons for lemon water. Conventional lemons are coated with some icky stuff and it makes the water have an off taste. Organic lemons are smaller, have a better taste and make the best lemon water I have ever enjoyed before!
The fourth week we tried organic banana's. Anyone that has never tried an organic banana before absolutely is missing out. At 92 cents a pound it was worth every last bite of it! The flavor is unsurpassed! Wow! We are still trying out a new organic item every week, yum!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  3:12:24 PM  Show Profile
Michele Preston (batznthebelfry, #2622) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level First Aid badge.

"I decided not only was 1st aid needed in the car, house etc but that I also needed a special 1st aid kit set up in the chicken coop as well as a 1st aid bag that I could take with me when I am tending other peoples chickens.

Okay I have a set up in the kitchen, laundry room, bathroom, car plus now a good one set up in a wooden box in the chicken coop that has been a big help especially when my rooster gets crazy mating & scratches one of my hens...all the safe cleaning supplies are right there so I don't have to go looking, the best is the recyclable grocery bag that I can take with me to other farms so I have the basic medications, ointments, plus the heavy duty things like surgical knives, needles, and rubber gloves that may have to be used. When I dusted a woman's hens & coops for her I had to treat about 10 hens for various reasons & I was so glad I had this bag all set up."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  4:12:58 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Bayless (#2468) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I have been sewing since I was eight years old and I am almost forty years old. I could not function without a sewing kit on hand at all times. I own a good sized variety of thread colors, buttons, more than one pair of scissors I use only for sewing, a nice variety of needles, straight pins and safety pins. I also, have more than one pin keeper (store bought and homemade).

I would feel lost without these things. I enjoy being able to start a new sewing project whenever I feel like it. Sewing is one of the ways I relax."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  4:17:22 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Bayless (#2468) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I have been able to sew a straight seam both by hand and with a sewing machine since I was eight years old and I am almost forty years old. I am very capable of sewing different types of stitches including french and flat seams both with my sewing machine and by hand.

I love to sew. It is one of my favorite things to do when I have the money for the materials and have the time to do it. I also, enjoy embroidery."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  4:21:44 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Horton (Kat38, #2695) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I organized all my storage containers removing all plastic containers and replacing them with glass jars. I made sure all jars had lids and organized the jars according to size.

This encouraged me to clean out all my cabinets, cupboards and drawers. I am moving in the direction I want to go. I am so excited to be creating a lifestyle that is educated, organized, thoughtful, healthy and organic. One step, one badge, one day at a time. I will own that farm soon."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page