Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  4:33:32 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Horton (Kat38, #2695) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I created a beginner's sewing kit including all the sewing items listed. I was able to find all the items already in my home. I didn't know I had a sewing kit all this time.

I do not sew and I have always had the dream of sewing my children's clothes. My grandmother made all my mother's clothes and my mom made me all my Halloween costumes. I regret not learning from them when I had the chance. This project is a a step towards learning and brought back the memory of my moms pin keeper; a gold base with a blue cushion. I had forgotten this and as i worked on choosing what I wanted to use as a pin keeper this long lost memory of holding and admiring the pin keeper while my mom made my costume was revealed."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  4:41:56 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Horton (Kat38, #2695) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Scrapbooking badge.

"I took a series of envelopes and stuck the flap of each one to the bottom of the next so they formed a long series of pockets. On the backside of the envelopes I added images and memories of our friendship and a sentiment that their birthday was not to celebrate their age, but to celebrate the day the world becamce a better place because they came into it. I used the pockets to hold letters, photographs, favorite quotes,poems and a bag of their favorite chocolate. I folded the envelopes up and tied with a ribbon. I presented this gift as a birthday present.

I was shocked to find that the gift produced tears from my friend and she said it was the most thoughtful gift she had ever received. It is wonderful when homemade gifts that take time and heart to make are so effective."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  4:46:01 PM  Show Profile
Shari Dodd (Ms. Hannigan, #1158) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have mostly collected a pint jar worth of buttons.. I admit the jar I have them in is a great antique canning jar with a bale on it that came with some antique buttons in it, so I can't say I collected them all, but most of them... I have WAY more than 50 now, and am still on the hunt for more interesting antique buttons.

I love having a button jar. Just the other day I was catching up on some mending, and covered a small rip in my youngest daughter's dress with 3 buttons from my jar."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  4:52:56 PM  Show Profile
Leigh-Ann Whitten (Ms. Treadle, #1178) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Woman-at-Arms badge.

"My daughter and I took a hunter safety course together. We learned the ins and outs of gun safety. We also learned about the gun laws in Mississippi. We also enjoy target practice as a family.

We both passed our hunter safety course. Now, that we finished our courses... everyone has passed the course in the family."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  4:59:38 PM  Show Profile
Cheryle Duffy-Lehrer (shabbyms, #604) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Nellie Will-do badge.

"I had to fix a cutter quilt first. Then had to come up with a pattern - one that would work with this quilts design. It is a wedding ring quilt so I used alot of butcher paper cut outs as my patterns. There were some really bad spots on this quilts so it was very time consuming. It was not only getting a good piece to cut but having the finished product come out balanced with good color combinations and be pleasing to the eye. This took many hours as I had to try it over and over again. The jacket has 8 peices and was machine sewn with my old Kenmore machine. I think of myself as a beginner because I really have not sewn other than upholstry since I was a child. Reuse, Recycle and Repurpose are my goals for this year. Soon I will take my collection of vintage tableclothes and pillowcase out of the mothballs too!

I think being a beginner seamstress it turned out ok. The sleeves I was going to turn up but got it wrong and had to make do. I think I need to make a large covered button or a belt for if it is chilly I would like a way to keep the jacket shut. This jacket is like a huge hug.It is soft and warm and comforting. I am glad I took the time to save it with grace and the charm it deserves."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  10:47:42 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Marshall (nancym, #159) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner and intermediate level Self-sufficiency badge.

"I started out canning blackberry and raspberry jam as my mom used to do. That was just the beginning! I've been growing my own herbs and vegetables for several years now. I bemoaned my lack of a food dehydrator until I figured out my convection oven would work just fine. I've dried, tomatoes, basil, oregano and parsley. I made my own italian spice mix to put in my canned spaghetti sauce made with tomatoes, peppers and onions I grew at home.

I've always loved pickles, and a friend taught me how to make bread and butter pickles, as well as dills. Last summer I grew my own cukes, onions and dills for the pickles I canned.

We don't have any fruit trees so I used purchased peaches and home grown raspberries to can a peach pie filling.

We LOVE being able to eat our home grown goods in the winter. They are so much better than store bought. Not only do you know what's in them, you get a real sense of pride from serving them to friends and family. I plan on doing more canning every year, especially with the price of food going up so quickly."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  2:32:16 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I just finished the book "Beef: The Untold Story," and it was amazing! I loved it! I added it to my "must have" list for my personal library. It was packed with information that I never knew about cows and I also liked their "culinary interludes." Nothing like history and cooking mixed!

I was also able to locate a few local farmers with grass fed beef and bison so I will be getting with them to purchase some grass fed meat while I continue my search for the right breed to raise for my family.

The book had some interesting information on the different breeds which I will be keeping in mind as I search for the right breed to raise for my family.

I really liked the book, anything with history on one of my favorite animals plus with little culinary history tidbits was really neat!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  2:43:49 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Brown (rileybrown, #2007) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Let's Get Physical badge.

"Starting on Jan 18th, the school where I work began a weight loss challenge. That was great news to hear not only for personal weight loss, but I knew there was a merit badge involved here!
I set my goals, have tried to eat accordingly, but have to admit I have
only lost about 2 lbs. We will continue the weight loss challenge for another couple of months.

To date, I have lost 2 lbs, but have been more conscious of the food I put in my mouth. That has to be a good thing, right??"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  3:01:04 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Brown (rileybrown, #2007) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"Over the last several weeks, I have been substituting my household cleaning products with "green" products. I don't have a large variety of cleaners so this wasn't hard to do. I was skeptical about the effectiveness of the products but have been pleasantly surprised. I researched brands and then availability in my marketplace before making my purchases. I have been more aware of "going green" when reading articles and magazines and have jotted down a few ideas and plans for keeping my household green. My sister lives in the country and I have shared some of these thoughts and ideas with her.

The products performed great. I don't see any difference in the cleaning ability of my old products vs. the "green products". I will continue to use the green products and will voice to others how good they are."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  3:13:58 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Bruce (daisydawn, #2531) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have kept buttons over the years but they have been in various bottles & bags. I consolidated them into one decorative box. My daughter was excited to help me.

I realized that I have a pretty collection. Having the buttons all together in one place also helps me to think creatively as to how they can be used. I hope to use some of the unique buttons on my upcoming sewing projects!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  3:33:16 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger (GrammyTammy, #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Shutterbugs badge.

"I recently bought a new camera in preparation for a trip. I used the following website to learn about photography. http://www.digital-photography-school.com/digital-photography-tips-for-beginners. I'm sure this will take a lot of practice, but I'm excited about taking better pictures.

These are just a few of the ways I am living the Farmgirl lifestyle."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  3:52:26 PM  Show Profile
Denise Meister (Denisemgm, #1976) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I made a scarf using sock-weight alpaca. Since I wanted a little texture, I did a YO, K2Tog every third, fourth, or fifth row.

I love it. The scarf goes well with many of my sweaters and the texture is exactly what I was after.

The scarf is a wee bit itchy, but not too much."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  4:10:03 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Let's Get Physical badge.

"LET’S GET PHYSICAL – Intermediate
My commitment to physical fitness has been lifelong , with unfailing discipline and follow through to meet my goals.

GOALS for 2011: have been to continue my daily power walks that include interval training and bicycling and additional goal has been to use an elliptical machine at work on the days I have to work 10-12 hr. shifts. I also know that interval training is most beneficial so that my body has some consistent and regular challenges to increase the benefits. Strength training is important as well for a more balanced routine.

DIET: this also has been a lifelong and disciplined commitment to eat organic, healthy foods and that is something I continue to do. With getting older I have made a few changes in what I eat and when I eat.

LOGS: my daily log includes distance, time, calories burned (if possible) intensity and intervals as it applies to the particular activity.

So far my 2011 goals have been met, and exceeded, in some instances. It's a lifelong commitment and discipline."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  4:30:38 PM  Show Profile
Denise Meister (Denisemgm, #1976) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Knitting badge.

"I designed and knit a fair isle tunic for my youngest daughter. If you look closely, the motifs are actually letters spelling her name vertically: ELLIE.

I also knit every other Friday with four girlfriends where we chat about life, ooohhh over each other's projects, and help each other with pattern directions.

The tunic is wonderful. It's probably one of the knitting items I'm most proud of. I would change just one thing: I'd probably work a provisional cast-on or I'd start the dark band a little higher to eliminate the seam line that is there."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  4:36:44 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level Horse Dreams badge.

"First I read the book Soul of a Horse. This was the second time I have actually read the book and I added it to my "need to buy" list! It was refreshing to read and remember things about interacting with horses, as well as my own horse.

I wanted to learn more about the Tennessee Walking Horse so I looked up that breed.

I never knew that the Tennessee Walking Horse actually did originate in Tennessee. So many breeds originate from other places only to be named for the place that made them famous. They are a mix of 4-5 different breeds of horses and were known in the southern US as Plantation Horses since they were common on the southern plantations. They were also favored by traveling preachers and doctors. Who knew?! They can also come in a variety of colors and average 15.2 hands high. Neat horse! Now I want to know more about these horses called Canadian Pacers which are supposed to have been part of the Tennessee Walking Horses foundation."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  4:44:04 PM  Show Profile
Denise Meister (Denisemgm, #1976) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Grammar badge.

"I love this!!

Here's a sampling of my ten words:
Amiable (from dear Jane Austen!)
Didactic
Plethora
Sanguine
Anathema
Jovial
Meticulous
Paradigm
Gauche
Visceral**
** There’s a man in my writer’s group who uses this word at every meeting. I had to look it up at first. I like the word because it sounds so interesting and it fun to say, though I do smile each time he says it; usually he says something like this: “I enjoy the visceral nature of this character who seems so at odds with herself. She’s a real person.”

This is an easy task. I love words. And it's fun to sneak interesting words like this into conversations!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  4:51:39 PM  Show Profile
Denise Meister (Denisemgm, #1976) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Farmgirl Grammar badge.

"I read the book Woe is I, and I enjoyed it. I particularly liked her list of "abused" words that start on page 83. Among them, I learned I was severely abusing "diagnose"!!

It's the disease that's diagnosed - not the person! It's good to learn to amend one's ways in language!

I also applaud O'Connor for saying it's okay to split infinitives. Long has that rule been stifling creativity!

Turned out great. I had to interlibrary loan the book, but it was worth the wait.

It's proof that grammas books don't have to be entirely stuffy!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  4:57:40 PM  Show Profile
Denise Meister (Denisemgm, #1976) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Farmgirl Grammar badge.

"Not only have I read the Truss book, I actually USE it when I'm teaching.

You see, I have a Master's degree in English, and I teach composition classes (ENG 101 and ENG 102) for the University of Wisconsin Colleges (UW-Barron County).

Since students seem to have trouble with commas, I often use the "eats, shoots, and leaves" example as on the cover of Truss' book. It's a perfect example of how important commas are and how the meaning of a sentence changes drastically if one is not careful with punctuation and grammar.

It takes a long time to break students of their dependence on the "put-a-comma-in-where-there's-a-pause" rule. Arg! For every placement of punctuation, there is a REASON!!

I did not write the letter to my editor, though I'm hoping since my job is to teach students how to be conscientious writers that you will accept that I devote whole class periods to discussing the importance of precise communication and syntax!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  3:48:29 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Know Your Roots badge.

"My oldest living relative is my mom who is 92 years young. We had lunch together today and I quizzed her on a couple of questions regarding her upbringing and some of her fond memories. What a great revelation. She was born in North Bay, Ontario, Canada on 3/4/1918. She has one surviving sister who still lives in Canada. She had two brothers and four sisters. She married my dad in Michigan on 12/31 and had a lot of great stories about their years together. I won't bore you with all of the great stories we shared but I am going to write them all down for my children to cherish.

This was a great topic to share with my mom. I will keep getting more tidbits as long as I can."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  10:27:32 AM  Show Profile
Carol Stover (Gidgitmoom, #2559) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Carp-hen-try badge.

"I have machine sewed four (hanging) t-towels out of new t towels, I cut them in strips for various colors, and material.

This has been on a back burner for a while but on a cold day like today, it was a perfect craft to do.

I like hanging T towels to hang from kitchen cupboards, it's cheaper than paper towels.

I was totally amazed how nice these turned out. I had draped a decorative flag (solid color), on top of gathered sewed t towels, it turned out mighty nice. Can't wait to show my hubby when he gets home from work, and family and friends.

My Motto: "Something out of nothing."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  10:33:00 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

"While many might not think waffles are a "guilty pleasure" I do and so does my family. We have made waffles and the enjoyment thereof a regular Sunday morning ritual. And it's not butter and syrup . . .it's a HUGE variety of toppings, including fruit and yogurt or fruit and ice cream, etc.

Many years ago we used Bisquick mix but decided that we really didn't like it and wanted to make it healthier, more substantial for a hearty breakfast.

I was also on a quest to decrease the amount of gluten I consumed.

I came up with my own recipe for waffles which uses old-fashioned oats, walnuts, buttermilk and eggs with whatever spices we want . . . and my own home-ground oat flour. All of it organic and healthy . . very little oil which is a smidge of olive oil.

It was also important that they be CRISP and LIGHT!!!

My "SUNDAY MORNING" WAFFLE remake is what we wanted it to be . .healthy & yummy too!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  10:38:13 AM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Spinning badge.

"We have a group of gals that get together on Monday's at our local book store and they knit, crochet, and spin. I sat in on there group this morning and learned to card (like combing the yarn) and spin with a drop spindle. It was very confusing at first (you need to go clockwise or you will end up undoing what you just did). I did manage to get the hang of it though.

The only problem is that now I want a spinning wheel and raise some sheep for the wool. My husband wasn't too keen on that idea. LOL!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  10:44:12 AM  Show Profile
Kathleen Lorentz (KathleenL, #1620) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

"I love peanut butter cups but since I eliminated sugar from my diet I haven't been eating them. I recently found a recipe for them in the book "The Kind Diet" and made some.

They were a big hit with the family and they fulfilled my cravings for an old favorite."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  10:51:13 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

"I've been baking homemade goodies since my kids were young when we discovered that they had some sensitivities to the artificial flavors and colors in snack foods. Over the years I have moved toward organic ingredients that I find at the natural food stores and co-ops so that my homemade goodies are not only tasty but all natural. My most recent replicated goodie was cinnamon rolls made from organic flour, all natural baking powder, organic sugar, and all-natural hormone-free butter. They were a big hit at play rehearsal! Here's my recipe:
2 c organic flour
1T baking powder (aluminum free)
½ t salt
½ c organic sugar
2T organic butter, cut in to dry ingredients
1 c organic milk
Make dough and roll out on floured board into a long narrow rectangle about ½ inch thick. Spread with melted butter and sprinkle with a mixture of sugar and cinnamon. Roll the rectangle along the long side and cut into slices. Place on baking stone and bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Rolls are delicious as is, or they may be glazed with a powder sugar/milk frosting. Store in airtight container."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  10:55:58 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Unprocessed Kitchen badge.

"My family loves potatoes in any form...but we especially love French fries and potato chips. We have been making them at home with home grown potatoes in all-natural oil. The potato chips we make by pushing potato sections through my hand-crank mill using the thin slicing blade. The chips are then slid into the hot oil and removed when brown. We salt them up good and let them cool a little before devouring them! The fries take longer to cook but salted up they are a yummy addition to our hamburger dinners and so much better tasting than the frozen, processed look-alikes made by OreIda."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page