Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  1:30:40 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I went through all my household cleaners and got rid of the naughty ones. I now use washing soda (one of my new best cleaning friends!) for most of my cleaning. I was not able to think of a catchy one line statement for my house, but I was able to sum up my mission statement for "being green and being clean": "A by-product of being healthy is being green. If it's good for me, it's good for the Earth. If something is highly processed it is most likely bad for me and in the process of being bad for me, it's bad for the Earth. My house is getting out of the downward spiral of over-processed cleaners and foods. The cycle end's here. Simplify my house, simplify my life, simplify my cleaners and we will be living greener."

I also keep an idea journal in a regular notebook next to my computer so if I hear a good idea or think of a good idea I can write it down. I love my notebook journal! I already have a full journal I keep going back through!

I like simplifying things and going green with my cleaners was so simple and now I have simple cleaners that do a better job than the over processed chemical cleaners could ever do!

Now I feel a lot safer cleaning since I have little one's. I am so glad I made the plunge and now have a safer home!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  1:35:34 PM  Show Profile
Marie Hilliard (horselover, #2214) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Families Forever badge.

"Starting family night on Friday nights, with a simple family meal, then set up games with snacks. We all love monopoly, little ones played don't break the ice, a fishing tire game from the disney movie cars, then we played or tired to play a card game. We decided to try a new game once a month, and play children games only once a month, other two game nights we would play whatever the family wanted.

Lots of fun, bonding, and surprises."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  1:40:34 PM  Show Profile
Patricia Nickols (#2414) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"For the last month I have kept a small journal by my bed and each night I write down several things I am grateful for.

Some days it was so easy to just write and write and then there were days where I was hard pressed to think on even one thing to be grateful for. A pretty accurate reflections of life, I think. Some days are good, some days are not. But it makes you think of what is important in you life and helps you to not stay so focused on the negative things around you. I think I will keep writing in my gratitude journal to help me stay focused on the good things in life."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  1:47:52 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Bayless (#2468) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I sewed a half apron. It took me more than 2 hours to make and I love to wear it every chance I get.

I love how it turned out. I have been sewing since I was eight years old and never made an apron before. I only wore one if I was at work and they required one. I always wanted one because some are so pretty now I own one and I can't wait to make more."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  1:55:52 PM  Show Profile
Patricia Nickols (#2414) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Aprons badge.

"I mad a full apron in smock style. I have one like this that was my great aunts. It is white with small cherries on it with some gingham checked ribbon trim on the pockets.

I love the material of this apron, very cheery and goes with my red and white kitchen. It works well when baking with my sisters and daughters."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  2:00:09 PM  Show Profile
Patricia Nickols (#2414) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"I have always loved the beauty and elegance of horses. I have always loved Palominos though. My youngest sister has a Standard-bred named Tucker, a sweet guy. I have been to the barn with her to feed and groom and gotten to know him a bit as well as what goes into taking care of him.

Horses are just beautiful animals. I love going to the barn with my sister and watch the relationship between her and her horse. He is her friend! I plan on trying to go riding this summer and taking my daughter with me, another horse lover."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  2:07:43 PM  Show Profile
Remi Davis (Cibola, #2547) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level First Aid badge.

"I made first aid kits for our two vehicles, kitchen, garage and bathroom. I recycled boxes that moist wipes come in and used the boxes as my first aid kits. They were just the right size. I put into the boxes: band-aides, wraps, gauze, antibiotic ointment, aspirin,etc.. I have a fire extinguisher for the kitchen already. We always put new batteries in our smoke detectors after New Years'.

My husband was very impressed at how they turned out. The containers are very easy to store. I labeled them with a First Aid "red cross". Now we will be ready for any emergencies."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  2:14:30 PM  Show Profile
Remi Davis (Cibola, #2547) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level 'Out There' Women badge.

"I made my own survival pack with a small bag to take with me on day hikes. See picture for items.
Matches in waterproof container, mirror, whistle, high energy bar, rainproof poncho, space blanket, 1st aid supplies, reflective nylon cord and a knife.
10 native plants in my area where we hike (Teanaway Valley) 1.cattail 2. Dandelion 3. shepherd's purse 4. blackberries 5.pine needles 6. buckwheat 8. roses 9. rose hips (late summer) 10. salmonberries
I researched plants with properties as food, medicine or poison.

I always learn so much when I do the merit badge activites. I am anxious to begin some spring hikes when the wildflowers begin appearing and I can learn more about more about plants with medicinal properties. I liked how this project turned out."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  2:21:24 PM  Show Profile
Remi Davis (Cibola, #2547) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I purchased "Mary Janes's Ideabook - cookbook - Lifebook." I read the chapter on "Cleaning Up." I learned so many ways to use basic products that I have on hand. I also used the internet to research ways to clean my home without the aid of chemicals. I am now using vinegar to clean windows, baking soda and salt, Borax, and lemon juice. I am making my own laundry detergent.

I realize how easy it is to use these simple items (ie. vinegar, etc.) in so many ways. I feel good that I am not putting more chemicals into the air that we breathe and that my home is just as clean. This was an easy habit to break."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  2:27:48 PM  Show Profile
Remi Davis (Cibola, #2547) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I used a small lined notebook. I put a label on the front of it "Gratitude Journal". I began the journal on Jan. 11th and now it has been a month since I have been putting daily entries into the journal. Some days I only have a couple of lines and other days I can almost fill up a page.

Since beginning this journal we have had some medical issues with my husband. In putting down my thoughts during this time it has shown me how much I have to be grateful and thankful for. I realize now how important the support of family and friends can be. Taking time to just stop and be quiet with my thoughts has been a very rewarding experience. I plan to continue with my journal."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  2:32:20 PM  Show Profile
Remi Davis (Cibola, #2547) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Let's Get Physical badge.

"The New Year is always a time for me to begin resolutions. I liked the "Make it Easy" of setting an exercise goal that is more of a lifestyle instead of a have to. We recently got a dog and now I am walking her each day. My husband joins us at times and it is a nice time to visit. We have been doing this over a month now and I can see us continuing it.

I feel that I am being much more successful with this exercise goal of walking each day for at least 30 min. Having a dog that expects me to take her out really helps me be more consistent also."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  2:39:38 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger (GrammyTammy, #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"Made this 1/2 apron for my mom as she is moving into a new home.

I would have liked it a bit longer, but think it's cute."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  2:59:31 PM  Show Profile
Llahoma Jackson (homerbug, #2653) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"My mother recently passed away and from that I was fortunate to inherit a few odds and ends from her craft room. I discovered a jar with a few buttons, but they were were cute ones and beautiful ones. From there any time I see a random collection in antique shops or yard sales-I nab them up! Last night I used a few of the little buttons to elaborate a small quilted piece sent to me.

The collection is much more diverse than I had thought before I dumped them all out on the desk for this badge. I was tickled to see some that I didnt know were in there."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  3:04:41 PM  Show Profile
Llahoma Jackson (homerbug, #2653) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge.

"I received a package from my Secret Sister that included a small blank heart-shaped quilted piece. I wanted to elaborate the piece, so I grabbed some thread and a few buttons from my collection. This was the first time I attempted to stitch lettering. I think Im going to find samplers and try my hand at it again.

I think for my first try it didnt turn out too bad. I plan to use it in my MJF quilt Im making from blocks created from swaps and pieces sent to me from other sisters."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  3:07:56 PM  Show Profile
Llahoma Jackson (homerbug, #2653) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I have a sewing kit that includes all the basic items I use while sewing. I received the basket from my dad when I was in high school for Christmas one year. I plan to continue using it as long as it holds up.

Ive had a sewing basket for a number of years and actually need to go through it again and clean it out, as it is filling up and over the brim."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  3:12:27 PM  Show Profile
Llahoma Jackson (homerbug, #2653) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"Last spring I bought 5 ducklings. Within a few weeks they were laying large yummy eggs. I had never had duck eggs until then-but I will never go back to chickens now.

I would like to get a few more females this spring. I would like to have enough eggs to start selling them at the market."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  3:18:19 PM  Show Profile
Llahoma Jackson (homerbug, #2653) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Action badge.

"I unfortunately live in an area where Pit Bulls are restricted or all out banned. What that means is, regardless of the temperament of the animal if it finds itself at animal control or in a shelter it will be euthanized. Thousands of amazing dogs are put to sleep not because of their personal behavior or traits, but because of stereotyping and ignorance. It is typically the police or a faction of public works that deal with Animal Control Issues. It all depends on the sort of funding available and organizational setup of each town.

I have the privilege of sharing my home with two pits and have opened my home to a 3rd that would have been euthanized otherwise. I am still looking for a good home for her, but will continue to help any animal breed in need as long as money and space allow. I have been involved in a number of animal welfare groups for years and I hope to either work on or run an animal sanctuary one day."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  3:23:37 PM  Show Profile
Llahoma Jackson (homerbug, #2653) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"While on a bus trip going through several states, I came across a fiber made of bamboo. It was so soft! I had never knitted before-so I figured I would give it a try. Finished it in about 8hrs and I learned how to knit and purl!

I love that scarf. Its slinky and stylish. There are a few dropped stitches but since the whole scarf is laid back, it works out just fine. I found yarn made of banana fiber recently and would like to try making a shawl."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  3:28:56 PM  Show Profile
Dana Josh (#1129) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have 15 cloth style bags from conventions, and work that I use for my purchases when I shop. I loathe plastic bags and when they make their way into my home (others are my house are not as fastidious as I am) I use them to line small waste recepticles of for cleaning out the litter box. I have been doing this for over one year now. I use my cloth bags for grocery and mall shopping both.

I won't ever go back to plastic or paper bags again. I love using my recycled shopping bags! I even used one up-it fell apart after so many washings!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  3:33:23 PM  Show Profile
Dana Josh (#1129) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I loved the article about using Hydrogen Peroxide as a natural and effective cleaner. Since I was in the market for a new cleanser, I stocked up on HP and am using it currently for all cleaning tasks! I love it. I added a drop or two of peppermint essential oil just for the "clean" smell that I like after all that scrubbing!

It cleans like a charm and smells nice too. Although I have heard that "perfumes" might not be such a good idea around pets. So I may not add peppermint to my "product" any more!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  3:46:09 PM  Show Profile
Becky Wietzke (#2673) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I put together the beginner's sewing kit for my daughter, who is actually a non-sewer but needs to learn the basics. The required items were placed in a small and sturdy recycled stationary book with a magnet hot-glued to the top inside of the box to use as a pin keeper and to keep pins away from little granddaughter fingers.

Handy, compact, and easy to tuck away for travel or up in a cupboard away from toddler hands."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  3:50:46 PM  Show Profile
Ann Hughes (msneedlept, #1011) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I recently watched the trailer Vanishing Bees. It mirrors the conversations I had with my CSA farmer and my beekeeper. The thoughts are pesticides and climate changes impact the bee population.

I am allergic to bees but never doubt their importance. So I walk around them. I plant a butterfly garden each year. I was suprised that many were also bee friendly. Our entire back yard is white clover. The wild hedgerow is honeysuckle. Lots of bees. I plant herbs, geraniums, ivy, zinnia , marigolds, cosmos, roses, holly bushes and more. No wonder my yard has all the bees.

"Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd is one of my favorite books. I loved it. I gave it to all my friends. Everyone raved about it. We found various thoughts on the honeybees symbolism. The movie was great. The book so much better.

The beauty that surrounds us and the bounty of the delicious food we eat are so dependent on the little bee. I will do my best to give them a good habitat."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  3:59:15 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger (GrammyTammy, #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Scrapbooking badge.

"My husband and I took our oldest granddaughter to Disney in October. She is 8. I have kept a running scrapbook of our activities together and holidays too. I added the Disney pics to her scrapbook. Adding in her plane ticket, entrance ticket as well.

She is excited to have her experience on paper and will treasure it forever. Like she told me... "it's like a dream come true!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  4:07:02 PM  Show Profile
Ann Hughes (msneedlept, #1011) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I have been teaching myself to knit. It is a calm therapy. Someday I hope to be a really great stitcher. That will be a project like a sweater. I made three scarves for the beginner badge. One was a simply soft yarn in red using the garter stitch. This I gave to my daughter. The second one was a multi-color chenille in a stockinette stitch. This one was for my daughter-in-law. The third one was for myself. It was in a pink regular weight yarn. The pattern made a lacy stitch. These kept us warm during this cold KY winter.

My daughter ask me to teach her how to knit. I taught her the basic stitches that I know. We decided to take a class together.

All of the scarves look great. They are also a useful item. A calm way to relax at the end of the day."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  4:11:24 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Marshall (nancym, #159) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner and intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I've been using re-usable shopping bags for years. I ended up with so many from different events that I freecycled many of them so they didn't go to waste. My husband and I both keep them in our cars and are very good about remembering to take them into the store when we shop.

We are very committed to cleaning our home without toxic cleaners. I find that white vinegar and water will clean just about anything. I use it for windows, floors, sinks & counters (it also makes a great rinse for horses!). My biggest challenge was finding a dishwasher soap that didn't have a scent or taste that actually cleaned the dishes-I finally found one called Wave dish soap free and clear by Earth Friendly Products.

We are very happy with our lack of toxic cleaners. Our house is very clean and we are happy not to have it smell of bleach or other artificial fragrances."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page