Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  11:25:32 AM  Show Profile
Ann Hughes (msneedlept, #1011) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I taught myself how to crochet today. I used Mary Jane's "Stitching Room" book for the easy to follow diagrams. I must admit there were a few start overs. I used a metal J hook. I made two dishcloths with a single crochet pattern of 36 stitches by 50 rows.

I am glad I finally learned to crochet. The dshcloths are a pretty reminder of something useful that I made."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  11:29:48 AM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Woman-at-Arms badge.

"I have already taken the hunter safety course and completed it August 28, 1997.
Most of the kids by age 12 (and now earlier!) that come from hunting families take the Hunter safety course right away.

I still remember taking the class. For part of the class they took us out to the shooting range and let us practice gun safety. They also did other exercises with us for hunting safety. It was pretty well-rounded class. I still have my original certificate! There was only one other girl in my class, but there are a lot more girls going to hunter safety class now! I don't have any digital pictures of me in the class, but I do have regular photos! Good memories!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  11:34:05 AM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an intermediate level Woman-at-Arms badge.

"Over the past years since 1997 I have logged in well over 50 hours at the shooting range. This year alone I will spend at least 5-10 hours total. Mainly because I am learning to use new guns, now that I am confident with my rifle.

From so much practice I never wound an animal while hunting and at the range, with my rifle I can shoot in the same spot at least twice. I have done it three times in a row before, but that was when wind conditions were absolutely perfect. Twice in a row is my usual. No matter the conditions I can shoot multiple shots in a quarter sized spot at 100 yards."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  11:37:19 AM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an expert level Woman-at-Arms badge.

"I took two of my sister in law's out hunting with me this year. It was their first time hunting with me, but their second year hunting total.

It was so much fun! One of my sister in law's bagged her first deer ever! It was so exciting and worth the bitter cold to be with her when she bagged her first deer. I remember when I bagged my first deer, I was with my dad. Great memories were made this year hunting with my sister in law's!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  11:41:01 AM  Show Profile
Ann Hughes (msneedlept, #1011) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Crochet badge.

"It has been a cold and snowy winter in Kentucky so I decided to crochet something warm. I used a soft plum yarn to crochet a purse, scarf and wristlets. I tried several new stitches on each item. I used a cream yarn with the plum yarn to make stripes in the scarf. I made a buttonhole closure and added beads with a leather strap for the purse. The wristlet pattern is a beautiful lacy pattern which I will use again on another project.

A pretty project completed. It took a little extra work and several times to get the lacy pattern but worth the effort. Warm wear ahead."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  11:45:26 AM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"I read the book by Lynn Coulter and she revealed a bunch of heirloom varieties that I remember my great-Grandpa talking about but had totally forgotten about! I love it! I went through the book and picked out a few "new" heirloom varieties I just had to try this year.

I have most of my seeds for my garden all ready and I have to order about 8 more things and 7 of them are heirloom's! I typically grow about 25-30 different things in my garden every year. I am going totally hybrid free this year and about 2/3 of my garden is heirlooms. I would like to get down to totally heirloom seeds in the next few years."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  11:50:00 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Action badge.

"I discovered that many people with incomes below $49,000 do not receive all of the tax credits that the government allows for them, such as the “Making Work Pay” credit, the Earned Income Credit, Credit for the Elderly, and many additional Child Tax Credits. Many do not even file a tax return in order to receive their refunds because they do not know how to file properly and cannot afford help from a tax firm. Because of this, the government has appropriated funds to develop programs that help people in this tax bracket. In my area, the program is run by the Cooperative Extension and is called Volunteer Income Tax Assistance, or VITA. The VITA program receives some of the $12 million funding put out by the government and is comprised almost entirely of volunteers.

I have signed up to be a volunteer!
If you are interested in starting a program in your area, visit www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=184243,00.html for more information on grant money available, or google “VITA Program” for a program near you."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  11:57:00 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Brown (rileybrown, #2007) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Aprons badge.

"I had a kit for a full apron. I embellished it with lace on the bib, pockets and hem. Sort of dressed it up a bit. The making of the apron took care of another snow day at home in Texas!

I thought it turned out really nice. The touch of lace jazzed it up a bit. I will probably keep my eyes open for little "chicken trinkets" and might pin them to the bib or pockets."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  12:01:12 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Community Action badge.

"I have finished the eight week training sessions in the VITA program through our local cooperative extension and passed the basic test for certification. I have performed one evening of volunteer service and assisted one individual and one family with their tax returns. I have met many wonderful people in the program and am very proud of myself for learning the material, getting a 93 on my test, and successfully finishing returns properly (with some help). I have several more volunteer sessions so I hope to become more comfortable with the tax program, but I find it quite user friendly and not so intimidating as I thought it would be when I was taking the training. I loved telling my clients how much they would be receiving in their refunds and informing them that, because we were e-filing, their money would be in their accounts in just 10 days! Now, that's exciting!

If you would like to know more, visit www.irs.gov and type Link and Learn into the search field. Individual online training is available, along with the certification test. Look for a volunteer program in your area....there are 12,000 sites nationwide!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  12:04:50 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Community Action badge.

"Our VITA program is well advertised through newspapers and other county programs, so instead of writing a letter to the editor, I placed a number of posters with tear-off tabs containing the number for making an appointment for free tax return assistance. I put them in my local library, post office, courtroom and town clerks office, laundromat, and coffee shop. Each year our program grows. So far, each of the clients I have helped have been returnees from last year. Many clients are grateful for the help and so impressed with the program that they are inspired to become trained volunteers. In the training sessions that I took, most of the attendants had been previous clients and were in their 3rd or fourth years of assistance in the program.

It is a great deal of fun working with people who enjoy volunteering their time to help others!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  12:08:08 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I looked over the Eat Wild website and it just continued to verify the importance of grass fed animals! It's disturbing to know the majority of cows are just standing in their own manure pits, being fed animals flesh and all the junk in chicken feed is gross.

I refuse to buy conventional meat to cook for my family. Sure, going out to eat we can not choose grass fed per se but at least what I buy I can choose. I have found some local farmers so I can buy good meat for my family while I get set up to grow my own meat. Good informative websites like this, wow, I wish there were more!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  12:12:51 PM  Show Profile
Ann Hughes (msneedlept, #1011) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I made a doll-sized quilt. I have never made a quilt so I had to learn how. I used the materials that I had left from other sewing projects. I made a nine patch pattern from breast cancer fabric leftovers. The quilting stitch was done in a straight stitch.

My first quilt project serves several purposes for me. I learned to quilt. I also use it as a place-mat on my desk when I have tea or snack. The warm pink fabric brings fond memories of lost love ones."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  12:20:29 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Lend A Hand to Families badge.

"I have had several opportunities to serve families during difficult times by bringing them food, cleaning their homes, and caring for their children. This has usually been at the time of a new birth which is always fun as it usually means getting to see the new wee one. Having been the recipient of such blessings when my babies were born, I am especially happy to return the favor now that mine are all grown. My most recent opportunity to serve a new mom was a little different as her sons have severe allergies to wheat and other foods...we gave money to help buy some GF foods that are quite expensive but make dinner easy to make with a baby in the house.
I have also been able to travel to Massachusettes to help care for my grandmother after she received a terminal diagnosis. I cleaned her apartment and got her room ready to receive a hospital bed, commode, nebulizer, and walker. This was a difficult time for me, my mom, and my cousin and aunt...we were all shocked at her rapid decline. We lost her just a month later, a blessing in many ways as she was very sick but we also had time to tell her we loved her, to serve her in her illness, and to prepare for losing her. I returned to MA two more times to empty her apartment, clean it out, and close it up. Together we were able to do a difficult job without any one person having to bear the whole burden.

From the staff at Grandma's housing we learned that not all families work so well together which made us especially grateful for one another.

(Here is a photo that was taken at the service.)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  12:26:49 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Lend A Hand to Families badge.

"I have earned the expert level of this badge in a variety of ways. First of all, with my quilting guild, I helped make over forty wheelchair accommodating lap quilts which we delivered to two different veteran facilities in our region. We made dozens of Preemie baby quilts which were divided between the two local hospitals. We also made two bed sized quilts to brighten up the bedrooms of a new local hospice house, Haynes House of Hope, and I made an appliqué square which will be part of a quilt and table runner set to be raffled in a fund raiser for another hospice home, Hope House. I have worked with my family to babysit the three children (one handicapped) of a local couple who don't out together very often. I have helped to purchase gifts for needy families at Christmas with my church family. I have sung in a community choir to raise funds used to purchase items for needy schoolchildren...clothing, school supplies, and even snacks. I have knitted hats for children and donated them to a coat ministry.

I also help support an orphanage in Haiti with the income from one of my cleaning jobs...I learned of this home from a friend of mine who lived there for a year. It was through her that I learned to love the children and families who are helped by HIS Home for Children.

(photo is me at the tying party we had...tying a quilt for a newly married couple)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  12:33:10 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I put together some sewing supplies so I can learn to sew clothes and eventually learn to quilt. The other way around works too!

I took an old Goop hand cleaner container that was empty and I put in some hand needles, a few commonly needed buttons, a few different threads, sewing tape, pin holder and extra pins, fabric scissors, crafting scissors, extra sewing machine needles and seam ripper (not seen in the picture but inside the compartment on my sewing machine)."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  12:39:28 PM  Show Profile
Linda Schram (Prayin granny, #1375) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have bought the reusable shopping bags at the various stores that I shop at. I try to use them each time that I shop.

I have always admired, as in Europe, how people would use their baskets, etc to go down to their outdoor corner market. Although still much different, I am enjoying being able to do that somewhat. I do hope this spring/summer to get a basket for the farmers market we have here. I love to be able to shop and not have plastic that needs to be thrown away."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  12:44:04 PM  Show Profile
Linda Schram (Prayin granny, #1375) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I began knitting again over the last couple years. When younger I used to knit all the time. Then 'life' got in the way. Now, thanks to MJF and farmgirl encouragement, I am getting back to the things that I enjoyed! I am learning, once again, to knit, purl, decrease, increase, etc. I am teaching my grandaughters to try knitting. My 1st project was a hat and scarf.

I made them very simply, but had fun and loved how they turned out. Since I have made many and have made washcloths, coin purses, and large purses."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  12:47:43 PM  Show Profile
Linda Schram (Prayin granny, #1375) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I have been looking up 'recipes', many on MJF forums, to make my own cleaners that are 'green'. Also use the green cleaners that are made by clorox and seventh generation. I often use coarse salt as my cleanser. Works great and does not hurt my allergies too!!!

I love the way 'green' cleaners smell and clean. My apt smells cleaner and fresher! I feel good knowing that I am not using things that bother the environment or my allergies! Will never go back to other products."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  12:51:16 PM  Show Profile
Linda Schram (Prayin granny, #1375) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Shopping Green badge.

"We are doing a reusable shopping bag swap in my chapter, 'Scattered Prairie gals' currently. I just shared on the forum why I think 'going green' is a good idea.

I use the bags when I shop as often as I can.

I enjoy being green. It is something that has long been in my hear, before it seemed cool to be so. Always been that 'square peg in a round hole' and kinda happy that I am!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  12:57:43 PM  Show Profile
Amanda Henning (mamahenning, #2492) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I made an apron using the Harvest Apron pattern in MaryJanesFarm Ideabook. I wanted to make this apron because of the large front pocket. I am always looking for ways to carry more things than I have hands for, and this apron does the trick. I have a baby and a toddler so my sewing time is limited to naps. I spent my naptime (after cleaning and cooking) sewing this apron. It took me almost a month to do. I already wear an apron in the kitchen, but this one in nice enough to wear outside too!

I am so happy with my new apron! This is the first time I did gathering. I pinned it, took it out, and pinned it again about three times, until I finally got it right. Hand stitching the waistband and tie took a long time since it was the first time doing that as well. I had a bit of a challenge with this project but am proud of what I learned."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  1:05:43 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Smith (SarahSmithGiles, #2654) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Scrapbooking badge.

"I made a scrapbook for my sister-in-law as a gift. I was able to get the pictures from her sister and printed them with my photo printer. I incorporated a lot of sewing, lace, ribbon, metal brads, and alot of burlap to give it a country feel.

She absolutely loved it, she instantly started crying. Everyone who was there was looking at it for hours."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  1:10:22 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Smith (SarahSmithGiles, #2654) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I've collected well over 6 reusable bags from Lululemon Athletica and have stocked each of our cars, our kitchen and one in each of my purses. So I never have an excuse for not being green while I shop.

It's been pretty easy. Just remembering to put them back in my car once I've brought the groceries home is the biggest challenge."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  1:16:08 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Grammar badge.

"For the past few weeks I have been looking at Dictionary.com's Word of the Day.

Here are some of the cool words I can now use in normal speech!

Rakish, Vulpine, Thimblerig, Elide, Eclat, Effluvium, Abscond, Verdant, Desideratum, Philomath, Doppelganger, Daedel, Imbroglio, Risible, Ambisinister, Cacoethes.

I have expanded my vocabulary and have greater use of the English language!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  1:21:13 PM  Show Profile
Marie Hilliard (horselover, #2214) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Lend A Hand to Farm Families badge.

"I maintained a friends horse farm while she was taking care of her father in Wisconsin who has cancer. I had one of her horse stress colic on me while she was out of town.

Vet arrived in time, we had successfully walked the horse and listened to vital signs until the vet arrived. Vet did have to medicate him, but Cisco is doing fine, so is owner, Cisco just missed his mommy vet said."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  1:26:05 PM  Show Profile
Marie Hilliard (horselover, #2214) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Little Squirts badge.

"With trusty oil can in hand I oiled all the hinges in my barn, windows, and stalls, I then cleaned and oiled my barn tools, (my garden tools had already been cleaned). Putting everything away now in its very own labeled spot.

Barn looks great, I posted a nice sign asking all boarders to please put the tools/equipment back in its new labeled spot. Everyone seems to like the order."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page