Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  4:06:04 PM  Show Profile
Sunny McDonald (Mtnsunshine, #914) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"We have always eaten organically so when a close friend of mine had her first child I sat down with her and showed her the pros of organic milk, cheese, yogurt, & eggs. She now has completely converted all four of her family members. We also give them fresh eggs from our hens and she could not believe the difference between fresh and store bought. It feels good to share health. ;o)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  4:10:25 PM  Show Profile
Sunny McDonald (Mtnsunshine, #914) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"We have 8 horses, I've ridden since before I could walk. Horses have always been a working part of our ranch and I've always held them with the highest respect. I love a beautiful paint horse. We are currently looking for an older mare for our young kids to take care of." 
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  4:18:41 PM  Show Profile
Sunny McDonald (Mtnsunshine, #914) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Build It Green badge.

"I like to use up cycled items for our home or yard. I feel it's better for the environment and my children's future. I contributing to less waste. We use a lot of reclaimed wood, glass and metal. I love hitting the antique stores and yard sales also." 
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  4:22:54 PM  Show Profile
Sunny McDonald (Mtnsunshine, #914) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Woman-at-Arms badge.

"I was raised around guns, I was taught gun safety just as I was taught to walk and talk. It is a part of me, who I am. I have a 38 hand gun, and we have numerous shotguns and different caliber hunting rifles. I'm currently taking the online hunter safety course @ http://www.hunter-ed.com/ca and when I'm complete with that I would like to start the process of getting my concealed weapons permit."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  4:26:30 PM  Show Profile
Sunny McDonald (Mtnsunshine, #914) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I bought a new Brother sewing machine since my old singer finally died. When I came home to the box on my porch I could hardly get the machine out fast enough. I had found the cutest chicken wire fabric and red with chick fabric that I was saving to make a half apron with. It took me about 3-4 from start to finish but I'm VERY proud of my accomplishment and the ease of my new machine. I haven't been in the kitchen without my apron since."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  4:30:13 PM  Show Profile
Sunny McDonald (Mtnsunshine, #914) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"When my dear grandmother passed away I was given a jar of her old buttons, there must be around 200+ buttons. Since then when ever I'm at and antique store I'm drawn to buttons. It feels so nice when I'm working on a project and say I need a green button about yay big and I go over to my button collection and bam there's the exact one I need it feels great! Also feels like a bit of grandma smiling down on me."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  4:35:02 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Grammar badge.

"I have been diligently trying to improve my vocabulary with the following words:
1. Effectuated = To have accomplished something.
2. Vituperative = To be abusive and derogatory.
3. Contumelious = Insulting or insolent.
4. Succedaneum = Substitute a medicine or drug.
5. Rennet = comes from the stomach of an unweaned calf and is used in making cheese.
6. Aspic = Savory jelly of pressed meat used as a garnish.
7. Pledget = A bandage or compress.
8. Chiffonier = Chest of drawers for odds and ends.
9. Petulant = Impatient or argumentative.
10. Desultory = Going constantly from one subject to another.
11. Surfeit = Overeat in excess to the point of nausea.
12. Salient = Conspicuous or pronounced.
13. Recto = The right hand page of a book. (Verso = left).
14. Physiognomy = Judging a person's character from facial characteristics.

As you can probably guess - I have been reading a lot about our pioneer women and their covered wagon journey's. A lot of these words were used quite frequently back then and are fun to use in today's society."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  4:40:53 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Perry (windswept, #2493) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have bags in my car, even my husband has them in his truck...and he uses them!!

This is something that we have done for a long time. I even have bags that fold up really small and carry it in my purse."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  4:47:52 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Grease Chicks badge.

"I have earned the beginner level of this badge by having my husband, a mechanic for 20 years, teach me how to find and check all the fluids in my car. I have been filling the washer fluid on my own since I was a teenager, and I have known how to check the antifreeze in the radiator since I was a new driver. I have also always known how to check my oil levels and how to add oil when necessary. But I now know where to find and check the transmission fluid, power steering fluid, and brake fluid. I took a photo of the engine to make an instruction sheet for myself with notes as to where to find the dipsticks (some of them are hidden and difficult to find) as well as notes as to when to check the fluids (whether the car should be warm, cold, or currently running). I also checked the air pressure in each of my tires and found one dangerously low (photo below is me trying to find the leak later). My husband recommended that I keep the pressure at 35lbs for the winter so that is where each one is currently set.

I am also keeping track of my mileage and gas usage as I have always done. I've found that this winter, with the frequent use of my 4 wheel drive, I have been getting around 16 miles to the gallon. I am not happy with this. I usually get around 20 miles to the gallon. I am careful to drive at a moderate speed for most of my driving and find that it helps to increase my mileage. I also only use my 4-wheel when necessary. Because of my low mileage this winter, we have been driving my husband's mini-van which get a little better mileage and handles well in the snow."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  4:55:36 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an intermediate level Grease Chicks badge.

"I have earned the intermediate level of the Grease Chicks badge by getting my hands good and dirty! My husband and I took my car to the shop he used to work at for an oil change and some other repairs (see expert level!). We were able to use the lift which made the oil change much nicer to do considering the cold, wet weather we've been having. We put the car up and pulled the oil receptacle underneath to catch the oil as I unscrewed the drain plug. I was surprised at how hot the oil was! Once the pan had drained, I used a wonderful tool to loosen and remove the oil filter which also needed to drain into the receptacle for a bit. Then I put the plug back in and spread a little oil on the gasket of the new filter before I installed it. When we put the car back down onto the ground we added four quarts of oil, ran the car for a moment, then checked the level. It was still a little low so we added the fifth quart which brought it up to the right level. I will check the levels again tomorrow to make sure that there is still enough in the engine after running it some more. I do not need to find a place to recycle the oil I removed from the car as it will be filtered and used in the shop's waste oil furnace to heat the building—an in-house recycling program!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  5:01:02 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an expert level Grease Chicks badge.

"I earned the expert level of this badge by doing some much needed updating and repairs to my Chevy Blazer. My husband assisted me in each task at the shop where he used to be a mechanic. We were able to put my car on a lift and use the available tools which made the jobs much easier. Together we fixed a leaky valve on one of the tires (which is why it was dangerously low on air when I filled it—beginner level), then rotated all the tires, replaced the wiper motor so that the wipers work at all speeds again, adjusted the washer fluid sprayer on the rear wiper so that it hits the upper part of the window again, changed the rear universal joint (photo below) to get rid of the vibration while driving, added some anti-freeze, and changed the air filter. We did a lube job, as well, and checked the belts. My car rides like a dream now! And I learned that, although it is good for me know how to do these things, I am tremendously grateful that I have had a husband who has maintained my car so well for me all these years. I have taken him for granted for far too long. I will be much more willing to offer my assistance when maintenance needs to be done on my Chevy. In fact, I made him his own key lime pie when we got home, to show him how thankful I am!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  10:02:48 AM  Show Profile
Vickie Garver (13Grandma, #2316) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Crochet badge.

"I crocheted a baby blanket. I made the blanket in an Irish stitch going from corner to corner. It was a pastel blanket with white, pink and blues. It took me 20 hours to make.

The blanket turned out beautiful. I added a scalloped edge all around the outside of the blanket. The mother loved it. It was for baby number 5 so she really appreciated getting something new."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  10:07:18 AM  Show Profile
Vickie Garver (13Grandma, #2316) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I wrote a gratitude journal for 30 days.

I found at first it was very easy to think of so many things that I was grateful for. As the month went on and I kept finding new things to be grateful for it seemed like it became harder... But I realized it wasn't harder to find, I just chose to find the things that I really was most grateful for. I find myself still thinking about the things that I have and how they not only make me grateful for them, they make me thankful and happy to think that I have them. I have learned to think of the things that truly matter and not the material things."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  10:11:32 AM  Show Profile
Vickie Garver (13Grandma, #2316) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I gathered up all of the buttons scattered around in my sewing room. I found a lot of buttons. Put them in a storage container to use when I have a project.

Turned out fantastic. I used a clear plastic container, labeled the box "Buttons" and have it sitting on my shelf in my sewing room. As I keep going through things a find another button or two so now it has a home to go to where it can be found and used!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  10:19:40 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca Tando (Henny Becca, #1952) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Aprons badge.

"I made an apron using a pattern. It took more than three hours start to finish because it is completely lined, and made of three contrasting fabrics.
Today I was wearing it when preparing seed potatoes for the garden. When I was done I washed up and walked across the street to visit my friend. I realized it felt completely natural to be wearing it to a friend's house, and I was earning a badge at that moment! :)

It turned out beautifully! It is now my favorite apron. (All my most recent aprons are my faves!) I took a picture of my friend and I visiting. (He was doing school.) You can see the top part of my apron!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  10:26:45 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca Tando (Henny Becca, #1952) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I started my own flock of chickens about six weeks ago. There are two hens and one rooster. I will be getting more after winter, but in the meantime, these are already starting to lay! (They were full grown when I acquired them.)

I feed them greens daily that I pull up from the yard since they are not currently free range, and then also I give them laying pellets. I give them kitchen vegetable scraps as well.

I just love my chickens! I get a light green and a brown egg nearly every day!
They're very happy, and when I get close and talk to them they "talk" back."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  10:31:54 AM  Show Profile
Bea Campbell (quiltingbea, #2575) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I been using an old quart canning jar that I found at a flea martket to store my buttons in. I have some of my grandmother's old button collection and I have been cutting the buttons off old work shirts before I throw them away.

My canning jar is full and I'm starting another one to hold my growing collection of buttons."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  10:39:35 AM  Show Profile
Mari-Lyn Lobinsky (LucyLobo511, #2571) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I started making a square with the double crochet stitch that my mother taught me when I was much younger its like riding a bike I guess somethings you never forget. Well one square led to another. I now have a lap blanket.

I love the colors that are so bright and cheerful. I even like the way the back looks."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  10:46:43 AM  Show Profile
Trina King (#1999) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"I got my business license and filled out the necessary zoning paperwork. Then went to vistaprint.com and designed some business cards and a sign.

My cards are so cool, I've had to reorder some more too. The words finally getting out about The MARKET at Amicalola Gardens. I've gotten a lot of support from my local farmgirl chapter. I’ve talked to tons of people that want to put things on consignment at my shop, things look good!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  10:52:25 AM  Show Profile
Kathleen Lorentz (KathleenL, #1620) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge.

"I made a sampler using a pattern I purchased when I visited my mom last October.

I love the finished project. I started it a couple of months ago but got sidetracked with other things going on. I got it back out last week and finished it."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  10:58:02 AM  Show Profile
Ann Hughes (msneedlept, #1011) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I love, love, love reusable shoppng bags. I have been using them for about eight years. I bought my first bags from Wild Oats / Whole Foods. I have more than fifteen because they are always at kids apartments, my mothers, etc. My favorite is a bright pink breast cancer flower bag. The clerks smile and comment on the cheerful look.

The bags stay in my car. They carry more items. The bags spill less. They are more convenient on errand day. I use them for everything."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  11:05:45 AM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I made a scarf doing 3 rows of single crochet and 2 rows of triple crochet. It took me about 6 hours since I am just learning to crochet. I also showed one of my sister in law's how to make a scarf just like mine.

I really liked how it turned out. I put three tassel's on each end. It was just a regular acrylic yarn but from now on I am going to stick with a natural fiber. I found that working with acrylic dried my finger tips out really bad. Other than that it looks fantastic!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  11:13:35 AM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"We have four two-year-old hens, one one-year-old hen, four roosters (we are going to downsize in that department!) and we are getting five replacement pullets this weekend and twenty-five meat birds in the same order from the hatchery. Last year we also had a flock of free range ducks (15 total) Pekin and Mallards. Ducks are so much fun to raise, we still have one hen that is laying eggs for us but we would love to get more ducks again!

So far our hens have started laying again! I am so excited for our new chicks coming in this weekend. I have everything ready for them! I have been researching organic alternatives to the feed we had been buying them. I found a few "recipes" and we are going to get the ingredients so then we can supplement free range organically! I am very excited to be done once and for all with conventional cement pelleted chicken food. We are using our last bag up right now and next week I can pick up and mix our own organic feed for our current chickens and our new chickens will be all organic! This is so exciting to me!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  11:17:20 AM  Show Profile
Ann Hughes (msneedlept, #1011) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I clean without the aid of toxic cleaners. I have been using vinegar, baking soda, borax, lavender oil, orange oil, and lots of hot water. I bought "green" products but found some were harsh and some left a feeling or residue behind. The Method products are green cleaning product that I use. They are clean and gentle with a pleasant scent.

The old school of household basics works best for me. That with a little hot water and lots of elbow grease."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  11:21:19 AM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"I always look for farm animals when we drive places, it brightens up any trips big or small. I drove past this one farm and saw these really neat paint horses. Turns out it's my cousin's 4H leader's place. I went over there with them one day and it turns out the horse and foal I really liked where Tennessee Walkers! I thought they were just regular paints!

Turns out when I was at the farm I found out the foal was born on my daughter's birthday! I tried to buy the foal, but they were not planning on selling her. Now I am on a new mission. Find a TWH for my daughter which was born on her birthday and have it ready for her when she is good enough to ride on her own! I was not able to get a picture of the foal or dam because I forgot my camera at home!"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page