Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  3:22:16 PM  Show Profile
Liana O'Bannon (Liana, #2333) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I shop at Whole Foods and Sprouts. We are blessed to have both in reach in our community. I have collected about 7 bags from Whole Foods by buying a few each time and adding insulted bags and putting used brown paper bags with them into one of the Whole Foods Bags. Then I keep them in my trunk and bring them in while I shop. I let them bag all my groceries in these.

It works very well and now I use them for every trip I take to shop. Since I keep them in my trunk it is easy to bring them with me in any store. And I can bring only the number I think I will need for that store. I use them in grocery stores, pet shops, Costco, and other shopping that I do."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  3:36:58 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Quilting badge.

"I completed a quilt for my friend''s wedding. I hand-topped stitch it and learned too many ways to improve next time.

It was quite a challenge as I ran out of one material and had to reinvent the quilt to make sure it came out Queen size. I didn't get it very tight, but I think it turned out well. I learned a lot on this one and remembered a few things since I hadn't quilted in a while."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  4:19:02 PM  Show Profile
Jonna Nesbella (Scout, #2452) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I gathered eight reusable fabric bags some of which are homemade and placed them in the trunk of my car. When I go grocery shopping I now use my "green" bags.

It really worked out well. None of the bags broke when I carried my groceries in and I didn't have a bunch of plastic bags to recycle."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  4:31:30 PM  Show Profile
Jonna Nesbella (Scout, #2452) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I made a four square table mat as a retirement gift for a coworker. She was retiring January 7th and I was hired to replace her so I thought it would be nice to make her a gift. I used pastel fabrics, the blocks are set on point with sashing in the center. I quilted two sizes of hearts on each block. I used the backing as the binding folding it to the front and machine stitching it.

It turned out great! Very pretty for this coming spring!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  4:54:54 PM  Show Profile
Remi Davis (Cibola, #2547) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I put together a beginner's sewing kit with a homemade pinkeeper. In my mason jar with a handle on it, I included several different colors of thread, buttons, scissors, needles, safety pins and straight pins.

I think it turned out really well. I love the handle on the jar. I know it will get used a lot more than my little basket that I've had for years."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  12:45:48 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger (Cibola, #2547) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I just always keep buttons I find, extras on clothes, cut them off clothes that have served their purpose, and I do buy new ones too."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  1:18:23 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Brown (#2007) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I found a cute tin I had collected with handles and thought it would make a nice sewing "basket." I rounded up my scissors, tape measure, thread, needles, etc. and put all of these in the tin. Our Farm Girl group met Friday night the 14th to make our pin keeps. I brought my
fabric circle already cut out and we all proceeded to make our pin cushions. There were eight of us. We had a great time. Lots of laughter!

I thought my pin keep turned out great. I had to take it apart once and re-stuff it. The more stuffing the better. See picture!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  1:43:19 PM  Show Profile
Ginger Bayless (#2468) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I own more than six reusable shopping bags. I have committed to using them.

I no longer have a big bunch of plastic grocery bags to bring back to the store to recycle."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  1:51:32 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Brown (#2007) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"Our Farm Girl group met Jan 14th at The Little Red Barn, our meeting place. Our goal was to make our pin keep/sewing box and show our button collections. I have been collecting buttons for several years. I knit baby hats and sometimes use them on the hats, but really enjoy just throwing them in the jar and watching the numbers grow!

From the picture attached you will see my jar of buttons. Actually, I have two of these jars now. When I go antiqueing it is just one more thing to keep my eyes open for."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  2:13:31 PM  Show Profile
Diana Vermillion (momofscum, #2454) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"Started writing in my gratitude journal on December 17, 2010. I have continued writing everyday for a month.

As I have previously done a gatitude journal, it was nice to do again and remind myself of what I have already!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  2:23:46 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Green Energy badge.

"I have been journaling our expenditures for energy for quite a while and found a few glaring areas that we have improved upon. First is keeping a full freezer; changing to energy saving light bulbs; planning our treks into town for groceries, banking, etc. to save on gas; using our crock-pot more often instead of the oven. We had already changed our shower head to low-flow. We have been tracking our mileage all along so that we know how much we are saving.

We have saved quite a bit of money and energy with this procedure. I'm glad I did it."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  2:29:40 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Land A Hand to Families badge.

"We have a friend who just lost her husband so we have been helping her with her garden and bringing her an occasional meal. I did some extra canning and took them to her to help cheer her up. I've also been cleaning my mom's apartment so that's been keeping me plenty busy.

It is very rewarding to be able to help out someone in need."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  2:34:15 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Organic on a Budget badge.

"We have been eating organic now for quite awhile. We buy only organic fruits and vegetables mainly from our local co-op and farmer's market. We also have grown some really good organic tomatoes. We have also been experimenting with Mary Jane's budget mix and getting some fantastic meals for little money.

We feel a lot healthier and our wallet is even fattening up."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  2:42:33 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Bustin' Out badge.

"We have been eating organic for over six months now and are feeling much better. We have even had some friends over for some organic meals and they were truly impressed with the flavor. We hope we convinced them to switch from processed food to organic. Much better for them and their families.

We know a couple of our friend have actually switched to organic. What a great feeling to be a major influence on someone you care about."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  2:50:27 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"Well I did it. I started my own compost heap in our backyard. I started with wire and made a barrel shape out of it. I've been putting in grass clippings, leaves and food scraps. I turn it over every couple of days with a pitch fork and water it every other day. I can actually tell that it is turning into black gold.

It is really making a difference in my garden. Why I didn't start this sooner beats me."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  3:06:31 PM  Show Profile
Remi Davis (Cibola, #2547) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I am just learning to knit so I did a simple straight scarf. I also was able to do a knit two, pearl two edge on the scarf at each end. I worked on the scarf on and off for two days, about six hours or so.
I was able to show my niece who lives near me how to begin knitting. She can also now do a simple knit and pearl stitch. She is working on doing a scarf.

I was very pleased with how it turned out. I felt more comfortable with the knit and pearl stitches and am able to recognize the stitches now by looking at them, something I hadn't been able to do before."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  3:13:37 PM  Show Profile
Joana Vaughan (jojonh, #556) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I cleared out all my kitchen cabinets and sorted through everything. Tossed what could not be re-purposed, found a new use for certain items (planters for starting seeds), and boxed up items to give to someone who could use them.

Fantastic!! I have been in the kitchen baking every day. Now that I can put my hands on what I need, baking is no longer a chore, it is fun once again!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  3:28:24 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Grease Chicks badge.

"This is right up my alley. I have been checking fluids, air pressure in my tires, and coolant level for years. My husband and I also keep track of our mileage in both of our cars. We record the date, current mileage, # of gallons we put in, price per gallon and total cost. That keeps us aware of how many miles per gallon we are getting with our vehicles.

I was a widow for 20 years before Jim and I got married. It was only out of self preservation that I got in the habit of checking fluids and tire pressure to prevent any car maintenance costs."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  3:34:34 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level First Aid badge.

"I'm glad this category came about. We have been in the Emergency Preparedness mode for quite some time now. We have first aid kits in both our cars, in the kitchen, garage and both bathrooms. We have fire extinguishers in both cars and in the garage. We also check our smoke detectors when daylight savings time begins and ends. It is a good reminder and we don't have to put it on the calendar.

It is reassuring to have first aid readily available when you need it most. It doesn't take much for this little peace of mind."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  3:41:34 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Woman-at-Arms badge.

"My husband and I both have hand guns for target shooting and protection. We also have a shot-gun and a rifle. We have just joined a gun safety course class and will be applying for our concealed weapon license after the course is completed.

We are enjoying the class and confidence it is giving both of us."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  11:38:20 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Fischer (Blessed in Colorado, #1582) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I made the Prayer/Friendship Shawl for my Secret Sister Sue Feely as her reveal gift. I wanted something very special that she would remember me by. I said a prayer as I started the shawl, when I finished it and I sent a prayer along with the shawl so Sue knew the meaning and love that went into the Shawl I made especially for her. I have made many Prayer/Friendship shawls for family and friends who were sick, had cancer or just needed a little something to know that someone cared and they were loved.

I believe it turned out rather nicely but it was not perfect, as only God can make anything perfect. I used a washable purple homespun yarn so it could be washed when needed. Sue seemed very happy with it and it touched me so that she wore it to a wedding she was attending the weekend after she received it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  12:09:40 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Scrapbooking badge.

"I made a special scrapbook for my niece of her daughter. My grand niece presented no-bake cookies at school and I turned that project into a scrapbook for her mother. I also completed a 1st birthday scrapbook for her youngest son.

She loved them. Even the kids are enjoying them and I like putting together those memories for her."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  12:22:21 PM  Show Profile
Lindsay Crowson (Lindsay C, #1452) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I recently received a package of cute reusable shopping bags from my best friend for my birthday. Since then, I have collected approximately 6 more bags of various sizes from our grocery store to carry all of my groceries and other shopping items in.

This has been great. One, because I know it is environmentally friendly. And two, because I don't have so much waste at home to contend with. I am slowly re-purposing my old plastic bags one at a time and eventually hope to never see another one in my house. :) I've also started carrying a large purse on shopping trips to fit small items in, so sometimes I don't even need an extra reusable bag. This is a habit that I think will be very beneficial and also easy to maintain!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  2:35:34 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Grease Chicks badge.

"I grew up on a farm, one of six siblings. We worked on the farm with tractors, trucks, cars and all kinds of machinery. My dad made sure we ALL knew how to oil, lubricate and check everything for proper functioning.

I have done that ALL of my life with every car/vechicle I/we have owned, as well as other things such as the lawnmower, 4-wheeler, garden tiller, walk-behind weed eater, etc.

I REGULARLY check all fluid levels in my car (and our van) as well as our other equipment.

We keep a supply of necessary products at home so that we can take care of replenishing at home. (Don't typically do this where I get gas because the lines are always so long)

Logging mileage, cost, gallons, date (and location if on a road trip) in a spiral notebook I keep in the console is without fail!!! I like to keep track of gas mileage I'm getting.

Checking tire inflation is also regular. I know how to use a gauge and inflate tires properly. Our road/weather conditions demand consistent tire maintenance."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  2:44:46 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a intermediate level Grease Chicks badge.

"Change the oil . . . done it dozens of times!!!! Have done so on every car/vehicle we own.

I know how to purchase the right oil and oil filter and just do it.

I even know how to use a creeper to get in and out from under the car!!!

I don't mind getting my hands dirty.
I helped my dad do this on our farm vehicles/machinery. I help my husband here at home.

I even know how to do same on our lawnmower, tiller and walk-behind tiller.

We can take oil for recycling to our local AutoZone."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page