Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  12:46:47 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Let's Get Physical badge.

"Move it or Lose it" is my motto and exercise and physical well being is my LIFELONG goal.

Started getting REALLY serious when I was in high school in the 60s.

GOAL then was to lose a few teenaged girl pounds and walk every day as I could.

My goals have NOT changed since then and I have been COMMITTED and DISCIPLINED all of my life.

Eating organic and healthy has also been part of my life with growing up on a farm where we raised everything we ate.

LIFETIME COMMITMENT!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  1:31:14 PM  Show Profile
Rose Lynn (christmasgal, #1486) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Little Squirts badge.

"I oiled all the hinges on my doors and metal gardening tools and put them away.

It turned out good, the doors don't squeak anymore, I even did the kitchen cupboards, and the garden tools are oiled and put away nice and organized."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  4:07:07 PM  Show Profile
Carol Stover (Gidgitmom, #2559) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I am an avid Knifty Knitter knut, I love this type of knitting. I also can knit the regular way. Besides making knifty knitted hats for family, friends for gifts, I have donated locally in my area to a Catholic Church for unwed mothers and also have donated to a "Crafts for Cancer" in New Jersey, and also have made these for the poor in Washington, D.C. This makes me very proud.

I am in contact with Charter person at "Crafts for Cancer" in New Jersey on Facebook. We are hoping for a cure to cancer. I am also in the midst of making more crafts for this project."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  4:16:30 PM  Show Profile
Rose Lynn (christmasgal, #1486) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level 3 R's Rule (Recycle, Reuse, Revive!) badge.

"I learned to sharpen tools, oiled the handles too, and put away tools when done with them. I made row markers out of tin lids and stakes out of tree branches.

I like being organized and clean so doing the garden tools was great. The tin markers I made, made a heart shape with nail holes and wired it to a tree branch for my sweet peas and sunflowers and tomatoes. It was a lot of fun."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  4:52:01 PM  Show Profile
Kathy Smothers (kathyjane, #2565) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"My house has been "green" for about five years. I phased out all commercial detergents, cleaners, and soaps over a 6 month period and starting using LOTS of vinegar, baking soda, and essential oils for all purpose cleaning. I then learned how to make goat milk soap and lotion and how to make laundry soap. Over the last two years I have phased out all plastic containers and paper towels from my kitchen.

I adore my soaps and lotions! They make great Christmas and birthday gifts as well. Hubby loves my laundry soap, because of skin allergies commercial junk gave him an uncomfortable rash, not so with the home made stuff! The switch from plastic to glass and from paper to cloth has been interesting. I get lots of raised eyebrows from family members but when I tell them about the health risk to humans and the environment they commend me. I have converted only one family member to the "green" life so far but I'm leading the way by example."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  4:59:13 PM  Show Profile
Rose Lynn (christmasgal, #1486) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"I drove around to find and identify the breed and made a mental note of the one I liked best.

It was wonderful the drive was too. The horses I saw were hard to identify but beautiful. The one I liked the best was the Appaloosa, he looked so strong and self assured, I was able to get him to come to the fence and got to touch his nose, it was so soft."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  10:40:16 AM  Show Profile
Rose Lynn (christmasgal, #1486) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge.

"I made 25% of my Christmas gifts and ornaments.

I made homemade cocoa mix that turned out yummy, and everyone just loved it. I made crocheted mini stockings from red crochet thread, and with white trim from a hexagon granny square, they are so beautiful. Now I will try to make them with some specialty yarn. :)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  10:48:23 AM  Show Profile
Kathy Smothers (kathyjane, #2565) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I bought four .99 cent shopping bags at Whole Foods Market back in 2009. When my son started working at Starbucks he saved the empty coffee bags and I recycled them into hand made totes. Several became purses while two became my favorite shopping bags. I use them all the time!

Using my shopping bags makes me feel like I'm doing something good for the earth and it's a wonderful habit that is second nature to my daughter, she helps me remember my shopping bags."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  10:54:23 AM  Show Profile
Judy Bowsher (jubow, #2497) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I've been decluttering my (very minimal in size) kitchen cabinets, and tonight I organized and raided out the storage containers and wiped down the shelf. It made such an improvement in appearance and functionality.

Very satisfying, really had a minimum of items to get rid of, mostly old bicycle event water bottles."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  2:38:46 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Grease Chicks badge.

"I've been doing this since I moved out of the house, oh so long ago. I check the major fluid levels once a month (break, coolant, windshield). Oil gets checked when I put gas in the car. I've gotten to the point where I can tell just by looking at my tires when they are getting a little low. My car gets decent mileage and I am pretty steady on my gas usage.

This is something I intend to always do. I had a light truck that burned oil and learned the hard way to take care of my vehicle."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  2:50:43 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a intermediate level Grease Chicks badge.

"Except for the year I bought my Subaru and had free oil changes from the dealer, I have always taken care of my own oil. In college I didn't have the money to have someone else change it. These days we have a nice big garage so I can change it in winter. We take oil to AutoZone for recycling.

I like knowing I can do this and I think it's important for everyone to be able to do minimum maintenance on their cars."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  4:00:15 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level First Aid badge.

"Because I grew up on a farm and my hubby around copper mines/welding shops and a cattle ranch we have always known the value of being prepared with first aid supplies.

And because we spend a lot of time outdoors in the mountains and many miles away from cities or towns we carry kits with us in camping gear and backpacks.

We have first aid kits in every vehicle and I check supplies approximately every 6 months. I have one in my day pack and fanny pack and they are checked when I start my hiking/walking/training season. I carry a small one in my tote-bag for work because of the nature of my job.

There are complete first aid supplies in our bathroom and utility room. There are fire extinquishers where we need them and our smoke detectors are checked every 6 months.

(During irrigation season we have 2 1/2 inch fire hoses - 2 of them - laid out and available for any fires on the property and can quickly attach to irrigation system risers. They would also reach the house and shop.)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  4:12:47 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Woman-at-Arms badge.

"Learning how to use a rifle was something we were taught as kids because we were a hunting family.

My husband is an avid gun-owner and we have handguns and rifles, as well as a hunting bow on our property. We both have gone through training, spent many hours at shooting ranges and gone hunting.

My husband is from Arizona and for the first several years of our married life we lived in Arizona. I learned the rules and regulations for Arizona and know them for Colorado as that is our current state of residence.

We own guns for hunting, protection and predator control (we have bears and mountain lions regularly on our property, as do the neighbors). My hubby does reloading for our weapons and we spend time at target practice testing some of his reloads, as well as perfecting our skills."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  4:23:27 PM  Show Profile
Sallie Dee Walker (Sallie Dee, #441) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"This is my first Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge!! I was asked to make a small keepsake for a co-worker/friend from her father's clothing who had just passed away. She gave me two button up shirts, one polo T-shirt and a pair of his jeans. I cut as many 10 inch squares as I could from the clothes she gave me. I saved as many details from the clothing as possible: buttons, frayed jean hems, pockets, paint stains etc. and embellished the squares. That part was so much fun and really allowed me to be creative. I then laid out the squares to make a pleasing arrangement and stitched the squares together. I researched how to use batting but chose not to since it was to be a simple throw or possibly a wall hanging. I backed the quilt with a soft jean colored flannel and held the two sides together with embroidery at the corner of each square. It took me about 16 hours to complete this project.

It turned out beautifully and the gift was very well received! My friend loved it and of course will treasure this little piece of her beloved father! I felt honored to have been asked to create this special project!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  4:36:49 PM  Show Profile
Trina King (#1999) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"I was doing flea markets on weekends and decided it was time to make it a full time business. So I wrote out my business plan, and business goals. I figured that to be doing well that I would need to make about $500 a week, but was going to give myself 6 months to reach that goal. I wanted to open Jan. 1, 2011. The name would be The Market.

I've been working tirelessly on this endeavor, and things are on schedule."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  4:43:13 PM  Show Profile
Trina King (#1999) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"Last week we were snowed in GA for a week! I took full advantage of my time at home. I literally took everything out of every drawer, cabinet, and shelf. I organized all the items. I matched what went together, and put in all back in its proper place. I eliminated all the extra items that I only really need one of; and packed them away for now. I went through all my plastic containers and matched the ones that had lids and the ones that didn’t. I took the leftovers with no top or no lid and moved those to my craft room where I will use them. I will use the bowls with no lids to organize my craft supplies; and the tops with no bottoms, I will use to put paint on when I am working on a project.

It’s great! I know where everything in my kitchen is, no more guessing!!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  4:53:21 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Scrapbooking badge.

"Scrapbooking has been a hobby for many years. Then I started making journals, baby books, memory books, photobooks and calendars for gifts and to sell.

Just in the past holiday months these were made and gifted:
-babybook for a Farmgirl
-memory book with photos of a family trip
-vintage style memory book
-small photo/memory books of a Farmgirl get-together; teeny tiny book for MJ.

All gifts were surprises and I was told they were greatly appreciated!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  5:00:36 PM  Show Profile
Trina King (#1999) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"My brother called me to see if I wanted any chickens to kill and eat. I told him I would like a chicken and a rooster to start raising some chicken in the backyard. So on Christmas he brought me a pair. I talked with the local feed store about a natural feed. He sold me the laying mash he gives his chickens, but I’m not sure about it. So in addition to that we give them all our leftover veggies and my dad told me it’s good to give the chickens leftover egg shells, so we do that too.

It’s nice to have them, I like them. I had some hassles about building their pen. We live in the woods, lots of coyotes and foxes, so we had to make sure that it was safe. Plus we have a red heeler that harasses them and knocking over their heat lamp. But I finally have the perfect setup, their light is secure, and nothing short of a bear could penetrate that pen! (Course we have bears too though). It took some extra training with the dog to get her to call off but it has worked pretty well. No eggs yet but with the dog yelping, the light constantly being knocked off and the extreme weather, I’m not surprised, I’m patient."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  10:24:34 AM  Show Profile
Trina King (trinaking, #1999) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"I grew up on a horse farm, I have several friends who own horses. My favorites are paints. Growing up I had a paint that was part thoroughbred it was beautiful. His name was Crayola and I loved him. My boyfriend has 3 horses, my favorite is Sugar, she’s a palomino and very spirited, just like me!

Taking care of the horses is great; I’ve always loved having them around."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  10:30:30 AM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Carp-hen-try badge.

"I went to our local book store and picked up "Dare to Repair" by Julie Sussman and Stephanie Glakas-Tenet because I have had a terrible smell in my refrigerator. So I looked up refrigerator repair on page 131 and learned how to clean the back coils and check the gaskets. My husband helped me pull the fridge out and push it back.

That was all it needed to get rid of the nasty odor."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  10:37:38 AM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level First Aid badge.

"The timing is perfect on this as I just put a first aid/survival kit together for my car a few weeks ago. I have a portable bag, so I can take it wherever I go. I also have a first aid kit and fire extinguisher in my bathroom. The kitchen is right next to it, so they share the same one. I have a small house and no garage.

It is so important to be prepared for any emergency. Not only first aid, but disasters for your area."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  10:44:22 AM  Show Profile
Trina King (trinaking, #1999) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge.

"I always love making Christmas ornaments and making presents for people. My tree is made up of about 60% handmade ornaments. The kids love getting out their ornaments that they had made from the years past and hanging them on the tree. We separate each ones out into their own piles and then they race around putting their own ornaments in the “best spots”! This last Christmas particularly, the children and I each handpainted a plaster ornament. The children painted puppies in stockings and I painted two wreaths with mine and my boyfriends name and the date. We made rag balls and put a hook and some buttons on them. Then we twisted candy canes out of pipe cleaners and hung them on the tree and from the antlers of the deer mounts and trout mounts. We also gathered boughs from the bottom of the tree that we had cut off and made a door swag. I give gifts to all my aunts and great-aunts every year, this year I sewed some handkerchiefs with lace around the edges in several colors. I gave my mom a vase I painted myself at a local pottery store. And my cousins some block signs I made with leftover wood and fabric, I’ll include a picture of one sign.

These traditions are what makes this time of year so special to me. I love to make my gifts and the love it too."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  10:50:07 AM  Show Profile
Trina King (trinaking, #1999) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I’m gearing up to work on my apron. I already had my sewing kit together, but I split some of it up to make a couple smaller sewing kits for this badge.

I think having a couple kits handy around the house instead if just one large one, will be better."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  10:54:34 AM  Show Profile
Trina King (trinaking, #1999) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I finally got all my buttons together in one place. I have over 300 buttons! I inherited most of them from my mother and I always keep the buttons that come with shirts that I buy and I got about 100 from a yard sale, the lady had been collecting them and I bought all her buttons for $1.50! The ones I got from her are all really old and vintage looking!

I loved looking at all my buttons; it makes me more creative thinking of all the things I can make!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  11:16:14 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Crochet badge.

"I finally finished another crocheted blanket for one of the kids. Each will have one to start with, in their hope chests.

I stopped counting the hours, but put well over 50 into more than this one blanket. Over Christmas I crocheted 2 ponchos, 2 shawls, 2 scarves and my first ever hat that fit my husband "like a glove" (according to him). I also crocheted pot holders, learning the crab or reverse single crochet. I have learned many new stitches. I have re-taught one person, and taught my four daughters to crochet. I hope to encourage new farmgirls, or anyone who comes into my life, to give crocheting a try."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page