Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic You're never too old.... Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  07:45:58 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
This woman is my hero.I am going back to school in August and was worried but no more...her picture is now on my computer and I will use it when I get down about things.....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070427/ap_on_fe_st/lifelong_learner

EmmJay
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Mary Jane
Amherst Nova Scotia
Canada
352 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  09:46:02 AM  Show Profile
That is awesome !
You go girl.....and have fun
MJ

"Thank GOD I'm a country girl"
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/EmmJay07/
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  12:13:24 PM  Show Profile
You can do it. It's sometimes long and hard and you won't get enough sleep but if I could do it with four children underfoot and a part time job - so can you!

We come from Nature, we go back to Nature; health & happiness in between requires intimacy with Nature.
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  1:40:15 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing that! What a woman...how wonderful! I have had many friends who have gone back to school after becoming "empty nesters"! They are nearing or have degrees now! Yes, it is never to late to go back to school. Hugs, Maryjane Lee

"A House Is A Home Where Love Dwells"
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  2:26:03 PM  Show Profile
When I was in uni, I helped out a little old lady in her garden and around her house. She was about 90ish years old and sharp as a tack. After I had known her awhile she showed me some pictures of when she was younger and told me how she graduated uni in 1933!! And then I find out that over the past few years she had been finishing her Masters! She ended up graduating a year before I did at 89 years old with her masters in Social Work. A truly amazing lady, I only hope I can be a cool as she was at that age.

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  2:49:26 PM  Show Profile
Isn't She adorable!!!

There is a woman i work with that has just gone back to School too..
She's a hoot.. 78 years old.. & what a fircracker!

Her deceased husband was retired CIA..
& does she come up with some stories!!

She decided she wasn't sit around & wait for something good to happen to her anymore she said.. She was going to Make it happen herself!

Hope I'm half as busy & fun when i reach 78!!

Kathie

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  4:21:44 PM  Show Profile
that is fantastic! it just goes to show your NEVER too old to learn.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  4:40:49 PM  Show Profile
I know.. I keep saying that..
But i'm wondering when i'll get over being such a Ding Bat.. & some of these things i learn will actualy STICK with me!!

It's like never ending short term memory loss with me..
i don't get it..

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  5:52:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Catscharm!

I am so glad that you have decided to go back to school. The elderly ladies that are going back to school are such an inspiration. I hope I am that motivated when I am their age!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  5:57:10 PM  Show Profile
My mother in law was similarly motivated. She had a BS in psychology when she married, and had always wanted to be a nurse. But four children came quickly, and then two more; and in those days, the rule was if you wouldn't be able to graduate from nursing school before you were 35, you were not accepted into the program. When that deadline came and went, she grieved.

But then the laws pertaining to age discrimination were enacted, and she went back to school to get her RN when she was in her fifties. Then in her sixties she got her MSW and was a psychotherapist counseling drug and alcohol addicted youth, and then she went back in her seventies for her PhD in religious studies. She was always learning, either formally or informally. She was a gentle spirit, and the best kind of mother in law one could hope for. When I wanted to go back and get my ag degree, I knew I'd have support from her. It was terrific to have someone like that in my corner.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  10:40:46 PM  Show Profile
Hey Catscharm,
just remember, we are never to old to learn and we are to young to stop learning!!!

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  08:57:38 AM  Show Profile
I am so inspired and charmed!!! Thanks for sharing her story, and I'm so excited that you've decided to follow your dream, catscharm, too! Nope - we're never too old to LIVE!!!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

farmingdoll
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Ann
sonoma valley ca
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  10:16:17 PM  Show Profile
Good for you I went back to school after being out for 15 years, I choose to take care of my father with Alzhiemer's and school was put on the back burner, but after my father past I still want to return to school. It was not the easiest decision because I had one child after my first semster I found myself preganat ! I figured if I quit now, I would never go back, so with working and school and having a child and one on the way I continued and I'm so proud to say I'm graduating next week and I feel so great and proud. I had my daughter 2 weeks in to a semster and I still went on, it was very hard at times, but the feeling I got after every semster finished was so great, that I'm finally finsihed and I feel very impowered by, you go girl, if I can do you can do it!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic You're never too old.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page