Page: of 4

happyhousewife
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Mary
North Pole Alaska
201 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2007 :  9:40:35 PM  Show Profile
I love the idea of using my crockpot often, but other than making roasts, everything I've tried ends up mushy and overcooked. I have a few slowcooker cookbooks, but I think the authors don't believe in flavor or retaining nutrients in the food.

So... does anybody have a recipe they'd like to share with me? I want food that is still healthy and not cooked-to-death.

Thanks!

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  11:10:59 AM  Show Profile
I have a few - it's all in a matter of timing with the crock pot, I think.

Real Deal Oatmeal

2 Cups steel-cut oats (I prefer McCann's Steel-Cut Oats in the can)
2 Tbsp flax seeds (I prefer Bob's Red Mill Organic Golden Flax Seeds)
1 Tbsp stevia powder (more or less, according to taste)
4 Cups water

Combine all ingredients in your crock pot and stir well to mix. Cook on high for four hours or low for 6-8 hours. Oatmeal should be creamy but not dry. This will make approximately 8-10 cups, so you can re-heat it during the week for breakfast with a little milk, or eat it cold with yogurt and berries. We make this weekly. DH takes it to work for breakfast, I eat it at home, and occasionally the kids eat it. You get a full-day serving of soluble fiber and you stay full all morning.

2-Day Crock-Pot Beans & Rice
1 Bag Red Beans. Soaked overnight and picked through. In the morning, drain, rinse, and dump them (still wet) into large crock pot. Add 8 Cups water and cook on low for 24 hours. The next morning, add:

1 Ham shank (or small, rinsed canned ham)
1 Large onion, diced
1 Large green pepper, diced
1-2 Small jalapeno pepper/s depending on heat level desired, finely diced (please wear gloves for this if you use them - you can omit them entirely if you prefer)
3-4 Stalks celery, diced
2 Cups Brown Rice
* Additional water if it appears "dry". This depends on the beans and how much they soaked up during the 24 hours on Low cook. Sometimes they absorb alot; other times, not much at all.
Salt, Pepper, Seasonings to taste at the *very end*

FYI: Never salt beans at the beginning of the cooking process. Some varieties will take longer to cook through, others won't get fully cooked.

~ Kaylyn ~ (Living in Suburbia with a FARMGIRL Heart!)

My Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
My Life: http://vintageredhead.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  12:12:55 PM  Show Profile
The problem with most crockpot recipes is that the time specified is too much for your crockpot. I have what I call the "atomic" crockpot, because recipes that say "8-10 hours on low" are done in 4 hours on low in mine. Don't ask me why, but it cooks way hot and way fast. Whenever I give a crockpot as a gift or recipes to friends, I always specify that you have to make the recipe once while you are at home so you can see how long it will "really" take in your crockpot. After that, then you can go for the "set it and forget it" method.
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  12:13:46 PM  Show Profile
Oh those sound good! Printing them right now! Thanks VIntage Redhead!
Go to Top of Page

threebusybees
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Mandi
Myrtle Beach South Carolina
222 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  1:55:04 PM  Show Profile
The best is Pulled Pork . Everydayfood did one ( I have trouble with recipes bc I do everything by sight)
3/4 cup ketchup
1 TB light brown sugar
4 garlic cloves
3/4 t dried sage
1/2 dried oregano
salt and pepper
3 # boneless pork shoulder

cook on low for 8 hours

Personally if you are having it for lunch I season it with my favorite dry rub trim off excess fat and put it in slow cooker the night before with a cup of chicken stock on low. Then in the morning drain it pull it apart put it back in on low with seasonings or favorite bbq sauce. EDF served it on hard rolls with tangy red cabbage.
It is awesome if you are having company and don't want a huge mess to clean up in the kitchen.

Mandi

" Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler " -Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  3:27:35 PM  Show Profile
Italian Beef
1 roast
1 package of Good Seasons Dry Itlaian Dressing
1 jar Pepperocini's with juice
1 package of Aus Jus mix

Dump everything on top of the roast. I usually stick mine in frozen, I like mine spicy so I use all the pepperocini juice. Cook on med to high for 8 hours. Yummy! If you don't like it as spicy, substitute 1/2 the pepperocini juice with water.

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

"Go confidently in the directions of your dreams; live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler." - Henry David Thoreau

http://chevy49girl.livejournal.com/
http://midwestmusings-kim.blogspot.com/
http://chevy49girl.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  6:26:47 PM  Show Profile
This is going to sound strange but I made it and my son and husband thought it was the best chicken ever. Here goes. Put one whole chicken (not cut up) in the crockpot. Sprinkle 3 TBSP yup 3 TBSP Old Bay Seasoning on top, no water is added, cook on low 6-8 hours. While it's cooking it smelt like the ocean. The chicken falls off the bones.JoAnn

I've always been called a dreamer, but I never listened. I did what others dare not do--lived my dream while they watched. Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  09:54:27 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Girl

...Sprinkle 3 TBSP yup 3 TBSP Old Bay Seasoning on top, no water is added, cook on low 6-8 hours...

YUM! Old Bay?? I'm *totally* making this!!! It was really hard to find here in the midwest for when we first moved back here. Then out of nowhere...*BOOM*...all of a sudden, everyone seemed to be carrying it. I never thought about putting it on chicken, but *yum* - that sounds fab-u-lous!!
quote:
Originally posted by Kim
...1 package of Aus Jus mix...

About 2 months ago, I was given a similar recipe that was *okay* but missing *something* that would have made it awesome. I couldn't put my mind to what that *something* was. The Au Jus is the *something* - it adds the richness to the gravy. Thank you so much for posting your recipe!!
quote:
threebusybees
(I have trouble with recipes bc I do everything by sight)

The first time I do a recipe, I measure. After that, I become what my mom calls a "dump cook." That is, I use all of the same ingredients, but alter the amounts to either what I have on hand (e.g. 3 small onions instead of 1 large, if that is what is in my pantry) or what my family likes (2 cloves of garlic instead of 7 since they aren't garlic fans...what is *wrong* with them???)

Can't wait to make your pulled pork. Sounds so *yummy*! But I haven't met a pork roast yet that I didn't like...no matter how it was prepared.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  2:34:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
When I could still eat ham, I cooked a ham in our crock pot. I just used the glaze that came with it and didn't add anything extra. It turned out perfect! It was moist and well cooked, not dried out at all. It even got a little bit of browning on it from the sides of the crock pot. I just stuck it in on high for about 4-6 hours.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  3:26:23 PM  Show Profile
One of our easiest crock pot meals is this:

1 pkg of kielbasa sausage/or sausage flavor of choice(we prefer kielbasa for this recipe) cut into slices

1 lb-2 lbs fresh green beans cut into pieces (or you can use a large pkg of whole green beans, or sliced green beans...but fresh definitely tastes better)

about 10 small baby red potatos

salt and pepper to taste.

3-4 cups water to cover.

Let cook all day on low in crockpot.
About 4-6 hrs.

Serve with cornbread or biscuits.

A "good ole' Southern" easy peasy meal!

(in fact that's tonight's dinner..it's in the crockpot now and smells wonderful!)

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  3:48:32 PM  Show Profile
Kaylyn~ Go to The Little Traveller in Geneva. They carry Old Bay Seasoning!

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

"Go confidently in the directions of your dreams; live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler." - Henry David Thoreau

http://chevy49girl.livejournal.com/
http://midwestmusings-kim.blogspot.com/
http://chevy49girl.deviantart.com/

Edited by - Kim on Apr 29 2007 3:48:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  4:28:29 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kim

Kaylyn~ Go to The Little Traveller in Geneva. They carry Old Bay Seasoning!

Meijer was the first to carry it in the tri-cities. Once they did, it seems that *everyone* had to have it.

(Which is good because I don't shop at TLT since they insulted me 8 years ago in front of my DH. Hubby told me I was never again to spend a dime of our cash in there...so I haven't.)

Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  10:17:06 AM  Show Profile
Kaylyn, I love the oatmeal idea in the crockpot! I never thought to make it in there. I love having oatmeal in the morning, but I usually have so much to do before leaving for work that I often skip breakfast altogether. This way I can start it before bed and have it ready when I get up. I just love it!

We come from Nature, we go back to Nature; health & happiness in between requires intimacy with Nature.
Go to Top of Page

faithmarie
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

faith
wappingers falls new york
USA
143 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  06:17:50 AM  Show Profile
I have a new crock pot because I gave my old one away. Well I wish I had my old one back. This new one cooks sooo high. It almost burns everything on low. I was making tincures and it almost ruined them. I had to put it on warm so the water would stop boiling.
I am going to give my daughter the crock pot recipe for oat meal and I am defiantly going to make the chicken with the old bay. I was wondering what spices are in old bay. And What store is TLT.
I do make this thing that is kinda like pulled pork. I use chiken thighs skined and boned. Put in catsup and molasses and I cook them in a pot but I will try to put them in the crock pot. I make rice with it and my family puts the sauce and chicken over the rice. The rice I make I brown raw pasta in butter and then cook it with the rice. it is kinda nice.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  2:49:59 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by faithmarie

. I was wondering what spices are in old bay.

1 Tbsp. Celery Seed
1 Tbsp Whole Black Peppercorns
6 Bay Leaves
1/2 tsp. Whole Cardamom
1/2 tsp. Mustard Seed
4 Whole Cloves
1 tsp. Sweet Hungarian Paprika
1/4 tsp. Mace

In a spice grinder or small food processor, combine all of the ingredients. Grind well and store in a small glass jar.

quote:
Originally posted by faithmarie

And What store is TLT.

So sorry - that's my "shorthand" for The Little Traveler. It's a specialty shop (17 of them, actually) in this *enormous* turn-of-the-19th-century house in Geneva, IL. Snooty women who work there snubbed me there 9 years ago. ~ K

Go to Top of Page

faithmarie
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

faith
wappingers falls new york
USA
143 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  7:38:12 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kaylyn We LOVED the crock pot chicken! I found the old bay and it is wonderful! We are going to make it again this week end with salt potatoes corn and salad. Well a couple of chickens there are 5 adults and 4 children. Maybe we will have to use both of our crock pots! I think we need 4 chickens.
I have never heard of The Little traveler. Is it worth going to? If it is, maybe those sad little women were fired and dont work there anymore. Dont feel bad you are in good company.
We have a store called trader joes we love to go to. Down to earth though, I think they are all old hippies. lol
Any othe crock pot recipes like that one?
Faith

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - May 05 2007 :  09:32:19 AM  Show Profile
Faith:

I can't take credit for that yummy crock pot chicken! All of our kudos go to Mountain Girl (JoAnn) for possibly the most delicious crock pot chicken ever!! I made it last night - OMGoodness, *YUM*! If you haven't tried it yet, run right out and either buy Old Bay or make your own. This is a *FANTASTIC* recipe...Thanks JoAnn!

Trader Joes...talk about awesome food and awesome service. No matter where I go, city or state, TJs always has the *best* people working there. I wish more stores were like TJs!

Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - May 05 2007 :  11:14:58 AM  Show Profile
I told you the crockpot chicken was strange but delicious. Glad it turned out for you. If you're having problems finding Old Bay look near the meat or fresh seafood departments. I see it there sometimes. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Beach Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Vanessa
Williamsburg VA
111 Posts

Posted - May 05 2007 :  6:59:44 PM  Show Profile
I have never had any trouble with crock pot (CP) cooking and use mine a lot. In the summer it keeps the kitchen cool (since the oven is not running) and in the winter, it's just great to have soups and stews.

One thing that I do in the winter is a lot of stew type meals. You can pretty much use whatever you have on hand and adjust it to your family's size and tastes. I play with it, getting it the thickness that I like and then just letting it cook.

The basic recipe (for 4) is this:

1 # meat: browned (drained) hamburger, stew beef, cut up chicken, etc.

1 jar salsa (sometimes I add in a taco seasoning packet)

A couple cans of diced tomatoes (do not drain)

beef or chicken broth

tomato juice

a large bag of frozen veggies (I add chopped onion and garlic in too)

canned beans (rinsed and drained) or cooked rice or cooked pasta (put pasta in at end just long enough to get hot)

I throw it all in the CP and turn on high for several hours. Serve with a salad, bread, and applesauce.

Hope this wasn't too difficult to understand.

Vanessa
Farmgirl-by-the-Sea

Please stop by for a visit. The island is beautiful this time of year.
http://yahwehsretreat.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - May 06 2007 :  12:56:47 PM  Show Profile
JoAnn, aka Mountain Girl--My Sweetie wanted me to say that he loves your chicken recipe. Of course, I do too! I have to add that the clean up is very easy with no sticking in the pot.

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - May 06 2007 :  1:55:11 PM  Show Profile
Tell your Sweetie it was a pleasure to share a great recipe. It's so simple it's hard to believe it can be so good. Did you get a lot of "liquid" when cooking it? I think I thickened it and made a gravy. One time when I was cooking it the power went out so I decided to put the whole crockpot out on the back deck (it was cold outside and couldn't fit it in the fridge)and wait till the next day to cook it the rest of the way. In the morning when I went to bring it back into the house I saw that the cover was on the floor right next to the crockpot and something had eaten the breast portion of the chicken! Seems the liquid had thicken and whatever ate it couldn't pull it out of crockpot to carry it off: ) JoAnn

I've always been called a dreamer, but I never listened. I did what others dare not do--lived my dream while they watched. Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  2:27:04 PM  Show Profile
Whatever critter did that to you must have been mighty disappointed to not get the whole deal.... but not as disappointed as you! I did get some liquid, but having a dog who tends to lose weight causes me to always save chicken liquid (skimmed of fat) for her. I intend to spread some on her food tonight. I just love recipes that are sooo easy and sooo good! Yummmm.

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  4:42:28 PM  Show Profile
JoAnn:

OMGoodness - now that I'm hooked on your chicken, I added O/B to a huge pork loin roast and crocked it for 6 hours yesterday. DH was off doing his work/travel thing so it was too bad for him - dang, that was one awesome pork roast!! (Actually, there *is* some left. But it's never like it is just coming right out of the crock pot, is it?) The boys and I just watched the movie "Cars" and ate pork roast. My little guy couldn't seem to eat it fast enough.

Even the dog likes it. I was sitting here writing about this thinking: "Wow...I must *really* have Old Bay on the brain, I swear just thinking about it I'm able to *smell* it!" Well, it turns out the subliminal suggestive prowess of Old Bay, while great, isn't *that* great. The dog got into the fat in the garbage and *she* smells like Old Bay. She just came over to give me a kiss. *YUCK*! I like Old Bay, but not with dog breath! ~ K

Edited by - Vintage Redhead on May 08 2007 4:45:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  5:01:34 PM  Show Profile
Kaylyn, I think I'm going to buy some stock in Old Bay! The pork roast sounds wonderful. Just happen to have a roast in the freezer. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  5:29:13 PM  Show Profile
This has been a fun thread to read! I love my crock pot, but find some recipes become too greasy or overdone while I am at work from 7ish until 4ish. You have some good pointers here. Usually I make stew, sauce or soup with mine and that it always good, but I have little luck with chicken or pork because of the grease factor. My husband is VERY finicky about his food and grease is off limits for his stomach. I will try the chicken recipe since I always have Old Bay on hand all the time (we use it for lobster, clam chowder, etc.)

Thanks for the great read!

Sheryl-lyn
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  5:38:35 PM  Show Profile
Faith you were writing about how you liked your old crockpot that the new one cooks so high. I volunteer at the food bank and during our Christmas party one of the volunteers who is also a recipient made deviled eggs. She was living in the inexpensive motel in town and had no kitchen. She cook her eggs in the crockpot! Must have one of those new ones.
Karlyn How much OB did you add to the pork? Did you add anything else? JoAnn
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic crock pot recipes Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page