Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Oh to live free of subdivisions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Oh to live free of subdivisions Next Topic
Page: of 2

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  08:22:08 AM  Show Profile
It is so interesting to me to be hearing both sides of the story - It's amazing how the same set of "rules" or "limitations" can put both the HOA and the homeowner in binds, isn't it? We run up against similar situations on our Town Council here - different folks interpret rules in different ways - it's bound to happen. I've seen some really incredible compromises arrived at out of seemingly unworkable situations, too. I used to work as a mediator in both court-sanctioned disputes as well as personal issues - and one of the key things I learned from the people I worked with is this - we all do the best we can with the combination of experience and information that we have.

So --- how would it be to go to one of the homeowners association meetings with a list of reasons you like living there - the "pros," so to speak - and tell them about those, and then tell them why what you are wanting ADDS to the "pros" of the community. ...just an idea - no guarantees!

All that said - I hope they don't notice the coop, too!!! I'm all for chickens and clotheslines ANYWHERE!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  12:06:39 PM  Show Profile
That's a very good idea Libbie. All too often, we are quick to complain or point out the wrong in any situation. Presenting the situation from a positive perspective may just do the trick!

I've learned that it takes as much time and energy to wish as it does to plan.

Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  5:22:47 PM  Show Profile
Well I did my neighborly duty and place pinestraw in all the common areas. I was the only volunteer to do this that was not on the board. I did this last year and they remembered that I'm a homeowner that cares about her nieghborhood and 4 out of 5 approved of my plans but she was the hold out. I got a little taste of what she is like and she is the most micro-managing controling personallity I have ever seen. And she dosen't put things tackfully like saying "how about we do it this way." Nope not with her she will come out and say "You are doing it wrong and it looks really stupid, here let me do it because you are doing all wrong." We were just laying pinestraw down. How hard is that? So anyway, I talked with the rest of the members of the HOA and they said she is VERY controling and they actually removed her from the board once before but she begged to come back, so they let her. I think she wanted to do an inspection because we have a extra long driveway and it's secluded and she can't really see my house unless she gets onto my property which she can't, so I think she made up this excuse so she can snoop around on my property to check for violations. They didn't say anything about the coop but I'm sure I'll get a letter from the management company about it. I'm sure she was taking mental notes about my entire property. I spoke with the HOA president and I asked if she can be removed and he stated she can be voted out and he would support me if I did ask for her removal. I'll let this one sit and see if she gets under my skin some more. Apparently she lives alone, and has too much time on her hands. She talked we me briefly and stated that she drives around the neighborhood and checks for violations and I asked her, "Dosen't the management company do that?" And she said, "Yes, but I do a better job." Well there's her personallity in a nutshell for you. Anyway, it went ok and I'm going to pick a bigger battle with her later I'm sure but for now at least my house gets painted.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  9:44:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ayako-

I am so glad that your house gets painted. After your description of her, I kind of feel sorry for her. It sounds like she is lonely and doesn't know how to fix it in a constructive and nice manner.

By the way- Nora adores her new blanket! Everyone who has seen it has commented on how nice it is. Thanks again!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  8:38:07 PM  Show Profile
HOA are both good and bad. when we lived in more of a neighborhood we had a HOA and I didnt care for it in the least. We never knew where our dues(money) went. They would tell us that it was for mailouts, which we only received one mailout a year, asking for our dues. Crazy! it was a brand new neighborhood and they were supposedly bidding out a landscaper to do our neghborhood entrance. Well, two years later we still had no entrance, so the people of the neighborhood started asking questions about the money. All of a sudden we were putting in landscaping, mind you, the key word there is "we". Because they never hired anyone, about 10 people in the neighborhood gathered on a saturday morning and landscaped everything out. So for that HOA I didnt think it was done properly at all. We since have moved from there and are very thankful. It seems now in talking to old neighbors that the HOA doesnt seem to be keeping all of its standards. I guess it is just a way for them to profit.

Now I live out in the middle of the mountains of Colorado, and guess what? I have an HOA. UGH! LOL! Isnt that crazy? I mean the closest house is a mile away. We have 75 acres of our own land and we belong to a HOA. Now thankfully the rules are basically county regulations. But we do have some issues. Most people that are part of the HOA do not live here full time, they are part timers that live in the city most of the year, and then come here and want the HOA to be like it is in the city. Power trips!
But they are doing a vote for new board members and they are asking for my husband to run since we have one of the largest lots. he doesnt know if he really wants to do that, but it would also be nice to know what is actually going on.

In my opinion I think HOA's can be good, but the people that run them make it turn into something it was never meant to be because they get on a power trip. I appreciate some of the rules and regulations, but I dont think they should argue over shades of gray. I think that if you own your home that you should be able to do what you want. Now if you live in a gated neighborhood or something like that I understand some guidelines. I know I wouldnt want to live in a nice house and have my neighbor paint their house purple. No offense if your house is purple! ;) But telling people whether they can have an arbor or not is ridiculous.

Anyway, I am just ranting on now.

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Oh to live free of subdivisions Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page