Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 an old beautigul abandoned farm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic an old beautigul abandoned farm Next Topic  

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  05:58:55 AM  Show Profile
My hubby & I were driving down a country road in our county of Monmouth (nj) and as hard as it is to believe, we saw this beautiful old farm in decent shape (not great) just totally left like someone left in the night. It wasn't all boarded up but the house was empty (looked thru windows) the barns (2) were also except for a few tools. No real estate signs and it was so beautiful. The house was blue-gray & the barns matched. All I could think of was owning it! Husband keepsd telling me not to get to happy that someone must own itcause the grass is cut. Trying to find out about it without getting to exceited!!

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  06:09:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Well, the property next to my farm is empty(due to illness of wife) and gets mowed once a week. Maybe it hasn't been empty very long and no one has put up a sign yet. I'm holding positive hopes for you! Keep us posted!

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  08:12:57 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Oh Michele!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How neat!! The county court house or office might be able to help... they would know if the taxes are up to date and the name of the owner, even if they don't have a sign up..you could still ask. They may be thinking of selling or willing to just not ready to go through the hassel of listing etc. I am keeping prayers and good thoughts going out to you!!! I do so hope if it is a good place for you that it will be yours, and very very soon!! You love VT and I love old farms...maybe if both work out we could have sleep overs?!? Hopefull thoughts and prayers by the tons headed your way!!!
Big Hugz!!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  10:11:22 AM  Show Profile
HOW EXCITING!!
lots & lots of hope for you with this!
I know here by us the county or cirty would make the original owners keep any property mowed & maintained even if there were no occupants.. or THEY.. ( they being the govenment agencies ..)would do it them selves & keep tacking these fees on.. perhaps to the taxes.. i do know people that have been in jepardy of acyually loosing property die to such fees! SO.. could be that they have no wishes or intent on ever occupying it.. & may very well want rid of it.. However truly ( who would..!) just don't want the fees acruing of the mowing by the county.. so they HAVE to keep it mowed..
OR.. maybe the city or county themselve have already stepped in and have started the mowing them selves already!!
you should be able to locate the address & go to the city & look up a folio # to see who still owns the property.. alot of times all of there inormation is right there for you! even phone numbers!
if you can't find the address.. you can still go to a county office with the discription of where the property is.. & they should be able to give you an address.. just an extra step you'll have to take..
hope this helps.. & i haven't jumped ahead of myself by not reading all your info clearly..
( you know how excited i get about things!)..
Good luck again!

Kathie

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  12:46:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Michele-

How amazing! It sounds like the place has a lot of possibility! Good luck with your search for the owners- I hope they sell to you! I will keep it in my thoughts!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2007 :  05:43:46 AM  Show Profile
Hi, the house is sold!! I found out yesterday and its being turned into a sports complex!!!! Oh how I wish they would keep it a farm even someones elses farm. Im ok, it wasn't meant to be. It was just so pretty, sweet & peaceful looking. Oh well.

Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2007 :  09:58:55 AM  Show Profile
oh, (cringe). It just makes me so sad when I hear about this. someday if God every blesses me with enough money I'm going to make it a mission of mine to preserve some land and old farms so that developers can't get there hands on it!! ugh!!

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
http://18happyhens.blogspot.com
www.LaMargueriteFarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2007 :  11:13:10 AM  Show Profile
Aw Michelle.. I'm so Sorry..
Wasn't at all what any of us were hoping to hear.. was it?
But.. maybe this just means there's something bigger & better out there for you yet!! It did sound so nice though..

I do hate the idea of what the vision of what it is to become sounds like.. poor little farm..

On the possitive note!!
Check to see if your able to salvage anything from it!!
before they start their work.. maybe you can still have a piece of the old farm yet..

Sorry toots..
Kathie

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2007 :  4:56:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Michele-

Sorry to hear the bad news! A Sports Complex?! Just what the world needs, eh? Maybe you will find another farm that is better for you.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2007 :  8:51:29 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Michele (((HUGS))) I am so sorry!! I do like the idea of taking things that can be salvaged from it...if they are tearing it down, you can probably get promission to do that. Now we will just hope and pray for a wonderful place for you!!! There is one out there, I am sure!!!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  08:27:13 AM  Show Profile
Aw, Michele - darn it. It MUST be a sign that there is something absolutely PERFECT for you in the wings...

And do check on the salvage - there might be some great things there!

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  6:24:40 PM  Show Profile
oh Libbie how I pray your right!!

Go to Top of Page

highlandgirl
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Cheryl
Colfax, WA
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  10:46:29 AM  Show Profile
Michele

I was so sorry to hear things didn't work out. Saving the old places is such a wonderful goal because not only are they great places to live but they connect all of us to our past. Keep looking, because it is so worth it. I know when we got my DH's grandparents place, it was the idea of what it could be that kept us going. The house needed major updates, the outbuildings needed help, and the barnyard and pastures had not been used in years. Now ten years later, we are almost there and it is so worth it. Looking at the places in our immediate neighborhood ( about 10 square miles) there are 4 homesteads that are still sound but have no one living in them. The property is owned by large farm corporations, so the property is kept up to a minimum but nobody gives them a living presence. It really is sad to see.

Keep looking. You'll find just the right place.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  7:29:49 PM  Show Profile
aww shux! That sure does stink! i am sorry it didnt work out for you this time, but I know it will happen for you. Just keep lookking and dont lose hope!

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  03:51:50 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by westernhorse51

Hi, the house is sold!! I found out yesterday and its being turned into a sports complex!!!! Oh how I wish they would keep it a farm even someones elses farm. Im ok, it wasn't meant to be. It was just so pretty, sweet & peaceful looking. Oh well.

Boy oh boy! That is so typical of New Jersey! What a shame!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  08:13:23 AM  Show Profile
keep lookin' gurlfren .. your dream farm is out there somewhere! xoxo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM