juliet79
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Heather
Worland Wyoming
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  1:06:03 PM  Show Profile
Okay, so my youngest is 13 months old, and has never ever taken a bottle. She won't. She drinks fine from a cup, but at night she wants to nurse all night. I run a home daycare, and during the day she doesn't really nurse that much. On the weekends when my husband is home, she doesn't nurse at all until night time!

So, I want her to be done nursing. She needs to play and not be in my lap all day. Any hints? I can't just leave because of my business, so she wants me to hold her!

My other two quit nursing on their own, so even though she is my third, it's new!

ADVICE? Oh, and she won't drink milk, of any sort. Warm, cold, flavored, etc!

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  1:43:58 PM  Show Profile
My daughter was similar only she just wanted juice in a cup and no nursing, no bottle just a cup. No milk. I can't answer your question, because with my other children they quit nursing around 12-16 monthes. How about a pacifier at night. I know I know I don't like them either. Maybe she just wants you alone because when dad is around she doesn't nurse. And during the day she doesn't. Does she understand no? She is awful young. Sorry! MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  3:52:05 PM  Show Profile
I nursed my daughter almost full time till she was 2 1/2 and then part time AM and PM till 3 1/2 and just PM till 4. Now she wants to nurse for comfort and sometimes at night but I tell her no but we can cuddle and she seems satisfied with that. I've talked with my doctor and her pediatrician about it and they said I could always go on the pill to dry up but I was always afraid to do that since for a long time I was her primary source of nutrition since she won't eat. We have her on a feeding tube now so I can safely remove her from nursing. Her pediatrician didn't find it a problem for me to nurse her for so long, and said that it was ultimately my decision to make her quit but she didn't see any harm in her nursing till almost 3 and allowing her to decrease her need for mom's milk on her own. So I guess my point is, it's not so bad nursing past 1 year and maybe when she starts in on more food intake or finds another source for comfort she will wean herself.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

threebusybees
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Mandi
Myrtle Beach South Carolina
222 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  5:17:32 PM  Show Profile
My second wouldn't take a bottle of any sort nor a cup til I stopped breastfeeding. Are you co-sleeping? Do you get any sleep? This must be really rough for you. I will say she will be fine without milk( if this was your concern in your last sentence). My second same one with the cup issue is allergic to dairy. It's a challenge, but there are so many alternatives and dairy is hidden in almost everything. Distraction might be the answer since she is distracted by the other kids and dad during the day. It sounds like she gets bored at night and wants to play.Maybe? I am afraid there will be alot of tears with this one. I will keep you in my thoughts. Being a mom is never easy.

Mandi

" Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler " -Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  7:57:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Heather-

You know I don't have any helpful hints since Nora is my first. I just wanted to give you a cyber hug! {hug} Give my nieces and nephews a smooch for me.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

juliet79
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Heather
Worland Wyoming
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2007 :  07:50:48 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all your advice! I just hope she is done soon so I can get some rest and be a better mommy!
Go to Top of Page

greentea
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Alicia
Wisconsin
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2007 :  10:30:24 AM  Show Profile  Send greentea an AOL message  Send greentea a Yahoo! Message
My son is younger (9 months), but just recently went through a spell of all night nursing (up ever hour). I couldn't figure out what was wrong, since at 9 months he should be able to go longer. I started going to the daycare and nursing him there, instead of having them give him a bottle. That seemed to help a little bit. Finally, he was diagnosed with Gastric Reflex. He's been very uncomfortable when he lays down at nigh, and my milk protiens calmed his heartburn, so he'd want to nurse more. Something to think about. My DS also coughs after he eats, and didn't nap (because it hurt when he layed down)

He's been on Zantac for 1 week, and he slept 8 hours last night!!!

Even if this doesn't help, just know I feel your pain, really I do, it's so hard to not get sleep. It's hard to be a happy cheery mom when you don't get sleep!
Go to Top of Page

lamamama
True Blue Farmgirl

255 Posts

Melanie
CA
USA
255 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  10:41:42 AM  Show Profile
To start with, Heather, here is a big ((((((HUG)))))))...... and a message that you are a great Mother for all that you are doing for your baby. How absolutely wonderful that you have been breastfeeding this long, & are giving so much of your heart & soul to your DD!

As a lactation consultant, I cannot give any formal advice online - too little history & info.

All I can say is that what you have described is so common, so normal. 13 months is still really young.....and the longer she drinks only breastmilk rather than cowmilk (or even soy) based supplements, the better it is for her. Having said that, you can, however, work with your little one a bit so that she gets in more breastfeeding during the day, & therefore a little less feeding @ night. You won't be able to accomplish this new plan overnight, obviously, but with patience & consistency, it will eventually fall into place. Weaning is a very complicated, bittersweet dance. Sometimes the Mom leads a bit, but mostly it truly should be the child leading the dance. Our job is to be sensitive to the cues, & be a good dance partner. (Hey, can't you just picture it: "Breastfeeding With the Stars?")

It won't be long before these sleepy, milky days are gone forever - so try to focus on the wonderful intimacy that the moments of breastfeeding gives you. I still remember them as some of the happiest & best moments of my entire life. (BTW, my 2nd Son nursed for 3 years - he really needed it. And although it was often a difficult day for me, I have never regretted it. Quite the contrary......)

And in closing, I encourage you to touch base with a lactation consultant (IBCLC) in your area.
Best of luck to you, Heather!
Melanie
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic One year old? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page