MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6922 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6922 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2024 :  1:23:48 PM  Show Profile
I am looking for some blackberry growing tips. I have tried growing blackberries for the last 3 years and each year they die. This year I put them in a different place and they still seem to be struggling. What can I tey differently?

Krista

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2240 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2240 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2024 :  1:55:49 PM  Show Profile
I'm afraid I'm no help; I spent several years trying to get rid of one blackberry plant. They grow like weeds here. They are not fussy about soil and need little water, although they grow near ditches where they get winter water.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2024 :  8:12:07 PM  Show Profile
Yep, When I lived up near Yosemite, (Coarsegold) blackberries grew wild and tenacious!
Here both my raspberry and black berry bushes are quite proliferent. in otherwards,, grow like weeds, but last year and now this year I am getting hardly any berries..
But, my gooseberry and red currants aka JohannasBaren are doing great again... and I just do not fuss over them.
But over all, this year my garden is not up to par like in years past,, but if there was a market for weeds,, I would be rich!
:>) :>) :>)

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6910 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6910 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2024 :  05:40:06 AM  Show Profile
Krista, all my gardening books that listed blackberries are for Texas so they are of no help. I was curious so I went on-line and found out if the garden is small or there are not pollinators like bees and butterflies the blackberries may need to be manually pollinated to have bigger fruit and a better yield.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 - Feb 2019 - Oct 2023

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2024 :  12:25:56 PM  Show Profile
Sara,, Thank you about the info on pollinators.. I have noticed a decline in the Bee population here.. which could be why my berries are not producing like they use to..
I have not seen any Mason bees in almost 4 years,, I do not see as many Bumbles either.
My Humming bird population has also dwindled..

Unfortunately the small ranch to the west of us has a pest company come by monthly to spray and now they have a lawn company that comes by and spray.
My neighbor (friend) who is on the other side wanted to get organic certified, but unfortunately the neighbor between us has to show they have not used pesticides for the past 5 years and will continue to not use pesticides.. He basically told her to 'pound sand'..

I hate to think the pesticide is the problem..
I miss my Bees and Hummers.. and my berries...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6910 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6910 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2024 :  12:39:55 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I can count on one hand how many times I have seen butterflies on my plants. Seen a few more wee bees but only one or two at a time. Saw my first hummingbird the other day.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 - Feb 2019 - Oct 2023

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6922 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6922 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2024 :  2:46:50 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tip Sara. I don't seem to have a lack of bees since my neighbor has some and they are always in my garden. And it's not so much the actual fruit but keeping the plant alive. I will have to see if I can find anything on Utah blackberries specifically.

Grace and Judith, I'm glad your blackberries grow so easily. Hopefully one day I can say the same thing.

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Blackberry tips Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page