ashcordes
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Ashley
Roann IN
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  08:21:52 AM  Show Profile
We just found out we're expecting number two (yea!!), and so, hubby has told me I'd better forgo the garden this year as I have an almost two year old, and work full time, he thinks it will be too much for me, he's too busy to help.

So, wondering what ya'll think of the idea of buying organic veggies from the farmer's market, etc. and canning them for this coming winter? Do you think this idea makes sense? It may not be cheaper, but definitely healthier than buying canned, and we'd still have some fresher tasting veggies for this winter. Does anyone else do this? I just wouldn't know what to do without my home canned things, i've never been without a garden since I was born!

Thanks for any advice, etc.

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  09:08:48 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Ashley! I did this years ago when I lived in an apartment...tomatoes, peaches and pumpkin :-) And my friend does this now and has for years. She lives about 20 miles outside of Spokane and got robbed of her garden with a late or early freeze once too often and said forget it! Figured by the time she added her labor, water, etc. that it was 6 of one/half a dozen of the other to buy the veggies at the farmer's market and can them. Also, sometimes even my grocery store will have raspberries and blueberries on sale SOOO cheap for a 1/2 flat, I got some last year (like $10/half flat when they're usually $3-4/half=pint) and froze them. Just finished the blueberries about a month ago. So go for it - you'll do fine! Judy
(And congratulations on #2!)

The Rooster crows, but the Hen lays the egg. ~ Texas Proverb

Edited by - JudyBlueEyes on Apr 24 2007 09:09:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  09:19:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ashley,
Congratulations on another baby on the way!!!

I still have to do this. I go to the U-Pick farm and we pick what we feel we can get canned quickly (one week it might be green beans, peas, whatever's ready to be harvested) and we go home and can. I'm trying to get raised beds set up, but very busy right now, so it works for us. I also get load of peppers very cheaply and dry or freeze them. Onions, too. We still get to go out in the fields and pick our own veggies. It's just not the same as having our own garden like we used to.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Linda
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Linda
Swanton MD
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  11:22:11 AM  Show Profile
Ashley - we buy from the Farmers Market but mostly directly from the farms around here and then I can everything. We have 10 acres of woods, plus the ground is very rocky, so it is not conducive to farming, and I would never take down the trees. We only cleared where the house is. But the farms around here are all organic and I go there and buy in quantities which is actually cheaper than at the Farmers Market - and fresher. I buy whatever they have in season - it's great. I love to can, grew up on canned food which we ate the whole year thru. I would definitely give it a try - good luck to you!

Linda
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  12:49:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ashley-

Congrats on number-two-on-the-way! I don't know about your farmer's market, but here we have some produce guys that sell in bulk! Last year I got about 20lbs of peaches for $12! If you can get bulk quantities then it is really worth it. Plus, if you are willing to spend the extra cash then it is nice to know exactly what is in your canned goods instead of buying from the regular grocery store. I am sure your growing baby will appreciate starting life out healthy!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  1:12:15 PM  Show Profile
Hey Ashley! Hopefully the farmers at your market are nicer than some of ours locally ;) I don't can (BAD experiences--poor preserves!) but I overheard a lady ask someone about buying green beans in bulk to can, and the farmgal told her "no"...that she wouldn't have enough to sell afterward....I thought that seemed silly (you sell them regardless, right?), but maybe she had her reasons.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  2:04:55 PM  Show Profile
that does sound a bit silly not to sell them in bulk..but in the same regards..perhaps her being able to set up at market and interact with people is her "outlet" and her way of getting in some social interaction that she would not have outside of her market time..she wouldn't have that as much if she sold all of her goods to just one or two people..so in a way I can see that standpoint as well.

But..maybe there is someone at your market willing to either sell to you in bulk or allow you to come out to their farm and "pick your own".

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  2:08:41 PM  Show Profile
Ashley,
congratulations on baby number 2!

what about having your husband look into hydroponic gardening? It allows you to still be able to garden, but the watering mechanism is set on a timer..and there is no weeding involved.
You still get your fresh vegetables/organic type veggies.
And you still get the oppurtunity to grow your own.
No tilling, no weeding, no bending or digging.

Here is the website with info:

www.vertigro.com

the starter set I have actually seen in person and it takes up very little room. You can grow all kinds of things in it.

Edited by - Tina Michelle on Apr 24 2007 2:10:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  2:17:01 PM  Show Profile
this is the set up that I saw in Ocala, FL.
The farm was very nice, alot can be grown in less than an acre.
http://www.vertigro.com/products/vgk-16a.php

I actually plan to implement a system like this very soon in my yard/gardening.

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning without a garden? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page