Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2007 :  10:38:03 PM  Show Profile
For those of you who requested some of my starter, it's finally in the mail...except to Jayne in Australia. I'm drying some for you and will get it to you along with some other goodies soon.
Don't hesitate to ask questions; there are several of us here with lots of experience in sourdough and bread baking in general. I first learned from my future MIL starting at the age of 8, watching her bake bread and other things my mother didn't do. Little did I know I would marry her son 8 years later! Lots of water, floods and dry spells under the bridge since then :)
Enjoy,
Ronna

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  12:21:29 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much Ronna. I hope you sent me directions as to how to take care of it, ect. ect. I've never done this before, lol
~~Blessings, Mikki

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
http://strawberriesnapronstrings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

happyhousewife
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Mary
North Pole Alaska
201 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  06:31:58 AM  Show Profile
Ronna, you're fabulous!
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  06:51:28 AM  Show Profile
I cannot wait Ronna! I have been reading tons of stuff about sourdough starter and am looking forward to using it. Hope I don't kill it!

Sheryl-lyn
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  8:36:45 PM  Show Profile
Mikki, there are several farmgirls who will answer any questions. Maybe you can check out what has already been posted the last couple of months about sourdough and that will help.
Sheryl-lyn, don't let yourself be a slave to the starter...if you don't want to use or feed it for any length of time...like summer not wanting to bake bread and heat up the house, just put it in the fridge. I use Tupperware and it does fine all by itself hibernating for months at a time.
Mary, you'll have fun with it too!
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

happyhousewife
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Mary
North Pole Alaska
201 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  1:53:28 PM  Show Profile
Ronna!!! Thanks so much!! I love, love, love the apron!! I've been wearing it all day and I feel so girly! And I am so excited to try the sourdough!! Yay! You made my day!

Mary
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  2:07:37 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ronna:

I got my starter in the mail today!! I am so excited about it and will feed it today. I will look up what to do next so that it will grow.

Thanks for the happy package!!

XXOOSheryl-lyn
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  2:40:44 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ronna:

I added flour and water to my starter and am leaving it on the counter. Should I put it in the fridge? Do I keep adding a little more each day for a few days, or do I leave it alone for a while now?

When it is in the fridge, do I just keep adding to it and putting it back right away? How many days should I add to it?

I used King Arthur white flour. I hope this is good. It smells so good already!

Sheryl
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  11:11:58 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Ronna,
I can't wait for it to arrive! You are so kind!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  08:28:51 AM  Show Profile
After several feedings, until you have enough for your recipe plus some (1/2 to 1 cup is enough) leftover for the next time. If you're going to be using it often, it does not need to be refrigerated. If you feed it once or twice a week, should be fine. If you're not going to use it for a week or more, I feed it, let the bubbling slow down and put it in tupperware. Does not need fed while kept refrigerated, it goes into a dormant stage until room temp again. When you're ready to use it again, take it out the night before or early in the morning, let it warm a bit and then feed it. Should see bubbles in couple of hours and after that, it's ready for use anytime.
There are as many instructions as people who instruct, so someone else may say differently. I say, don't be slave to it, it will thrive on neglect as well as TLC.
There is a sourdough group on Yahoo for any interested. Some good info in the archives there, from people who are really devoted to using it.
Try putting 1/2 cup or so in your next quick bread, pancake, waffle or bisquit recipe, it will add a whole new flavor dimension.
Enjoy!
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  11:46:48 AM  Show Profile
I received mine Ronna thanks very much.
~~Blessings, Mikki

Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  11:47:52 AM  Show Profile
Ronna, may I ask, how did you dry it? This sounds like something I could do for cabin use.
~~Blessings, Mikki

Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  12:06:55 PM  Show Profile
I got it today. That was really fast! Thank you so much, Ronna. Do you think it will grow enough to use by this weekend? I usually bake bread on Sundays, so I'm hoping to have a new twist on lunches for my family. I can hardly wait!

We come from Nature, we go back to Nature; health & happiness in between requires intimacy with Nature.
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  5:54:43 PM  Show Profile
Mikki, you can spread it thinly on parchment paper or plastic wrap and let it dry. When I change to a new container, I let what's left in the last one dry out and then crumble it.
Lisa, Sure, feed it everyday or even twice a day if you want. I sent enough to everyone that it won't take a bunch of feedings to have enough for baking. Just remember to keep some for feeding and using the next time.
Jayne, I'm getting together a RAOK and sourdough starter package to seen you.
The package to Mary in Alaska was that also, starter and RAOK
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  12:45:20 AM  Show Profile
well. I cant stand it, i gotta ask if you would mind sending out one more starter. Ronna
I keep hearing all this great stuff about your starter and even on some of my yahoo lists. ill sure send you something for doing this.
Thanks
Shirley in Olympia,WA
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  07:24:23 AM  Show Profile
Shirley, send me your snail mail address privately and I'll get some to you shortly. What yahoo list has my starter mentioned...that would be interesting for me to check out.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  12:04:25 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ronna,
Im on the ROAK #1 list with my address. thanks
someone was talking about it on Elizabeths teatowel yahoo list,
but they got it from you on MJ list lol
Shirley Bigler
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  8:45:14 PM  Show Profile

Shirley, got it, will let you know when it's mailed. Does this mean my starter is famous and this is my 15 minutes of fame? :) If you can cut and paste the posting on Elizabeth's list, I'd love to read it.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  11:44:25 PM  Show Profile
Yep I think your 15 min of fame was about that long ROFL
I dont know how to cut and paste from one list to another, actually I dont know how to cut and paste at all sorry
shirley
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  8:22:42 PM  Show Profile
I am so happy with the starter Ronna!! It is bubbling away and smelling "oh so happily sour!" My friends at work ask about my yeast daily now, which should seem strange, but has become a normal routine now. Will be baking with it Saturday or Sunday!

XXOO Sheryl
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  8:40:19 PM  Show Profile
I hope you'll be even happier when you bake with it. Thanks for the update. You can keep feeding and share with your friends if they're wanting some too.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

happyhousewife
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Mary
North Pole Alaska
201 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  10:04:23 PM  Show Profile
I have some bread baking right now! yay! I'm excited to try it! It smells yummy!!
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2007 :  09:16:21 AM  Show Profile
I have 2 sourdough loaves rising now. About 5 hours and it will be time to eat. I have to give one away at work though since they were all involved in the sourdough starter experience with me.
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2007 :  09:19:53 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Ronna! I just realized that the person who was talking about you on another website (the teatowel one) was me! I had not read the whole link here before now, so I did not realize that it was even mentioned. YES!! You are famous. I have mentioned it other places and all over eastern Long Island too. Maybe one of the rich people out in the Hamptons will hear about it and really put you on the map!

XXOO Sheryl
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  4:40:51 PM  Show Profile
I made two round loaves with the starter this weekend. They came out great. I am looking for recipes that do not use additional yeast for now (plus I got a good one from Tina that does use some and it is good!). This is great bread!!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic sourdough starter mailed Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page