YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6914 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6914 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2023 :  10:12:52 AM  Show Profile
How I garden now is quite different from years gone by. I've gardened in containers for years, but they were scattered all over the yard. Now my container garden holds only herbs and are on my back deck. Being on the deck makes watering easier and I can run out my kitchen door and gather fresh herbs for cooking. The plants left in the ground in my front yard are my grandmother's irises and next year's zinnias in raised beds on east side of the house.

The herbs I have now are bay, rosemary, thyme, Greek oregano, sage, chives, and spearmint. I had to replace most of my herbs this fall because of the summer heat.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2023 :  11:54:37 AM  Show Profile
A container herb garden makes a lot of sense. Having it easily accessible for water and cooking makes life better and you use your herbs more that way. It's wonderful you have your grandmother's irises. They are always so beautiful when they bloom. Zinnias are always impressive and for such a lovely flower they don't require much fuss. Enjoy using your herbs every day. Hope the heatwaves are over for you.

Keep gardening Sara!
Dawn in IL

"The heat of autumn is different from the heat of summer. One ripens the apples, the other turns them to cider."

– Jane Hirshfield
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5077 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5077 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2023 :  12:40:50 PM  Show Profile
Sara me too! I have patio pots and 1 small, raised bed by the patio and I put pots on an old picnic table. easy to water all together! My mums started to bloom last week. The heat wore out some of my flowers and I was watering every other day so I replaced them with mums. I saved the plastic Pumpkin container from last year's mums from Walmart.
Its starting to feel like Fall here finally! High of 72 Saturday!!

Connie #3392
Imagine....

Edited by - Killarney on Oct 04 2023 12:41:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4178 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4178 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2023 :  04:20:24 AM  Show Profile
pretty pics Connie. Sara I find container gardens are the way to go at any age. I have one old stock tank that I use and I love it. I do still have a fenced garden, that I am always trying to catch up on weeding. Right now I am cleaning it out for the year.........alot of work. My mom has gone to raised beds, in wood and steel boxes. Much easier for her to work in.

Farming in WI

Michele

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6914 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6914 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2023 :  07:51:07 AM  Show Profile
Dawn, yes right outside the kitchen door is so much easier to take care of my herbs.

Connie your flowers are beautiful you sure do have a green thumb.

Michelle, before my sister sold her farm and moved to Paris she raised flowers and vegetables in a stock tank and old footed bathtub. Like you she also planted in long rows.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6928 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6928 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2023 :  1:46:53 PM  Show Profile
Connie, your flowers are beautiful. They are perfect for fall!

Sara, I think your deck herb garden sounds wonderful.

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Gardening in My 80s Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page