Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 which kind of marigolds repell bugs from tomatoes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic which kind of marigolds repell bugs from tomatoes Next Topic  

BamaSuzy
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Alabama
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  06:55:06 AM  Show Profile
I know that I am to plant marigolds near my tomatoes to repell things but I've read somewhere that one color marigold ATTRACTS bugs and the other kind repells them....which should I plant to REPELL???

You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt!

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  07:21:56 AM  Show Profile
I think it's the yellow that repels, but I'm not SURE -- alright farmgirls -- which is it?

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

threebusybees
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Mandi
Myrtle Beach South Carolina
222 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  07:37:47 AM  Show Profile
it's french marigold (t.patula) that repels. It looks alot different than the domestic one. I always had to grow by seed but things maybe different.
Mandi

" Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler " -Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  07:59:27 AM  Show Profile
I plant whatever marigolds I can get my hands on. Sometimes orange, sometimes yellow, sometimes French and sometimes a mixture. I have never had any problems with any bugs on my tomatoes.

We come from Nature, we go back to Nature; health & happiness in between requires intimacy with Nature.
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  08:54:00 AM  Show Profile
STOP IT!! They don't ALL Repell?
Oh Man i'm such a ding bat! NO dang wonder it never seems to work for me.. STUPID BUGS!!
Heck..I've probably been planting ones that actually ATTRACT bugs!
just my luck!
"Hello little Aphids, enjoy your dinner!"

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

threebusybees
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Mandi
222 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  09:03:08 AM  Show Profile
Calm down Kathie.. My word that made me laugh! I really don't think it has anything to do with the color for the repelling part, if it works or not. It's for nematodes which I believe are in the soil! They make the growth stunt. Whether companion planting works I don't know, but they look pretty. Thank you for my morning giggle!

Mandi

" Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler " -Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  3:55:48 PM  Show Profile
Here is some info from the web.

Marigolds - French marigolds repel whiteflies and kill bad nematodes. Mexican marigolds offend a host of destructive insects and wild rabbits as well. If you choose marigolds for your garden they must be scented to work as a repellant. And while they drive away many bad bugs, they also attract spider mites and snails.

Nasturtiums - fights off wooly aphids, whiteflies, squash bugs, and cucumber beetles. The flowers, especially the yellow blooming varieties, act as a trap for aphids.

Petunias - repels asparagus beetles, leafhoppers, a range of aphids, tomato worms, and a good many other pests.

Sunflowers - draw aphids away from other plants. Ants also move their colonies onto sunflowers but sunflowers are unaffected.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  6:48:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thank you so much for the information! This is really great information especially as we are getting our plants into the ground.

I didn't know about the Sun Flowers! Maybe that will help draw the ants away from the house!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

threebusybees
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Mandi
222 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  04:44:48 AM  Show Profile
Anne,

Did it show how the ants move their colonies onto the sunflowers? My dd Isabella is obsessed as of late with bugs but ecspecially hive insects(Hymenoptera) we've google it in everyway possible.
She'd love to see that! where did you find the info?

Mandi

Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  06:57:27 AM  Show Profile
Mandi -

No, it was just the text that they gave but I guess you could surf on line and see if there is more information about the sunflowers and the ants. I didn't know that either until I went out to find the information on the marigolds.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic which kind of marigolds repell bugs from tomatoes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page