Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 The Quirks That Make Us Who We Are
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic The Quirks That Make Us Who We Are Next Topic
Page: of 3

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  3:07:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
This is great! I love hearing about other people's quirks! I think it is these little things that make us so different, although I have noticed a trend to sorting candies. I must admit I do this too with M&M's and Skittles.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

threebusybees
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Mandi
Myrtle Beach South Carolina
222 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  3:15:24 PM  Show Profile
Mima(Debi) you are so funny I laughed so hard Riley came in to check if I was crying!

Sandy I second the candy corn!

I will only eat something if I like the way it looks for instance I only eat the bagels where the center has swelled shut. I've never told anyone that, it's so freeing!

Mandi

" Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler " -Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  4:06:05 PM  Show Profile
Dear fellow compulsives :)
I also have to have the pantry organized as to type of food and front to back. ( I thought I was just being efficient LOL)
My husband calls me the basket lady because most of the closets have baskets with like objects sorted into them. as in square tupperware lids in one round in another etc.
Now for the one no one has thought of. When I eat a hot dog I squirt a straight line of ketchup and mustard on. Then I turn it over so the condiments are on the bottom.
Also I do the candy corn thing
DH is the OCD dishwasher loader. He has some technical story about water flow to explain it. He can call it what he wants,but it's an obcession when the dishwasher is loaded and he has to redo it. By the way I can load more dishes and they still get clean,,,,SHHHHH! don't tell him.

This was so fun and well, freeing too

TEDDIE

Too blessed to be stressed!
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  4:40:29 PM  Show Profile
i am the exact same way about the pantry! all the canned food has to be facing out.. BUT i even have it in this bizzare order! starting with the vegetables on the left.. the darkest beans.. then to the lightest.. on to the corn.. etc.. & i make my way to the soups!
Then on to the rice & boxed foods.. all in order.. facing the same directions.. jello.. puddings.. everything..
Must be some mental deficiancy.. huh? Same thing with the laundry too though! all folded the same way.. the folds facing out.. & the open ends facing the walls.. & color fading from darkest towels to the lightest from bottem to top..
See.. i'm NOT crazy!
i'm in Great company!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  4:52:19 PM  Show Profile
Gosh, I love you all! I know now that I am not alone!

All my towels folded in the linen pantry have to be folded and put in the same way - washcloths, too.... sheets too....there is nothing so beautiful as a linen closet that looks neat and tidy.

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

a rose
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Linda
Waterford NY
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  4:55:09 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad there are others who have quirks about hanging clothes up. I would never let family members hang out clothes because I would go bananas seeing a sock hanging next to a tee shirt and two items down would be the other sock. All items are hung as they would be folded and put away, and I will not just load my clothes into the basket. They have to be folded.
Linda

Remember me as a rose.
Go to Top of Page

gregs_lil_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

219 Posts

birdi
hartford me
USA
219 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  6:36:43 PM  Show Profile  Send gregs_lil_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Ok.. if there is a stripe on towels...I have to fold them so that the stripe is unbroken and all the folds go the same way... Thats retail habit.

I have to look at all the cupboards in the kitchen before I go to bed and throughout the day to make sure that they are all closed ..I don't know why this one... Its kinda like if someone has a tag hanging out you just want to tuck it in? Even if its a complete stranger. I love all the little quirks...makes us unique individuals. OCD? yea, maybe...but oh well...lol

-Simple pleasures make my heart smile-
www.fouracrefarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  10:46:23 PM  Show Profile
Gosh I have so MANY quirks..mostly control freak things. I don't like to be the passenger even just around town..I prefer to drive....always. (well, unless we are traveling and go through a big city..then I am happy to hand over the keys)
I ALWAYS set things up for morning before I go to bed...whatever I will need is set out and ready. I don't think as clearly in the morning..and it just makes things easier
I have my certain way of hanging clothes and fold them as I take them off the line a certain way too (the way my grandma taught me) and only my oldest daughter (she is 12) can help, since she knows how to do it.
I won't go to sleep at night without going out to tell my cow goodnight. I would feel so bad if I didn't do it. Not a fun thing in winter..but I do it.
I like my kids to sit in the same place each time in the car (mini van) we change seats (by drawing numbers assigned to the seats) every few months (on holidays usually) and there is NO fighting over the seat they think is most desirable.
I have SO many more quirks...but these are a few
Oh..I have a real real problem with stickers left on things. I will spend a long long time scrubbing a sticker off of even a feed bucket. It would make me nuts to leave it on.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  05:28:12 AM  Show Profile
Gosh,this is all free group therapy! And much more comfy cuz probably most of us are sitting in front of the computer screen in our jammies!
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  06:03:01 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Lisa...I am the same!! I can't stand for things to touch eachother on my plate...espcially vegie juice running into other things..ick!! People used to tell me as a kid "it all goes to the same place" and being the smartie I was I would always reply "yes but my stomach doesn't have taste buds!" lol And I forgot the other one I have had for years ...I don't like the crust on bread so I always eat ALLLL the way around and eat it all off first! I am so with all you pantry/cupboard people!!! Hey we always know exactly what we have and it is pretty to look at ..and I do mine by catagory not color..all vegies together all fruits together etc!!! lol
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  06:27:01 AM  Show Profile
Since I LOFF horses, my barn MUST be clean at all times...never mind the house!! My bridles MUST all face outwards. Halters must hang a certain way and the leadropes hung up too. Saddles have to be on the racks perfectly and the blankets turned upside down to dry out.

I loff to sew and my seams must be perfect too. No just getting by.

Winona :-)

Don't sweat the small stuff...

http://goneridingagain.bravehost.com
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  06:42:59 AM  Show Profile
OK, when I go into my e-mail, I deleted all the junk in my bulk mail folder, then I go into my in box and delete all the other junk mail and spam, then I get to read my e-mails. Happy, Happy, OCD!!

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

"Go confidently in the directions of your dreams; live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler." - Henry David Thoreau

http://chevy49girl.livejournal.com/
http://midwestmusings-kim.blogspot.com/
http://chevy49girl.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  10:32:51 AM  Show Profile
I won't walk on those grates or sewer covers in the sidewalk. I will go out of my way to avoid them! My DH has this thing that when we go to the grocery store, he will never take the item in the front, it has to be the 2nd or so. I told him it probably was first at some point, but he still does it!

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  10:48:36 AM  Show Profile
Oh, and I hate electric cords showing.....I will move furniture a mile to hide a lamp cord. My computer cords have given me the great challenge, but I chose a computer table that has a complete back on it to the floor, so I do not have to look at all the cords.

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  12:13:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I hate it when my fiance scrambles my cupboards! And I have about given up on having him help with the dishes as he NEVER puts things back where they belong! Who in their right mind would put the glass Pyrex measuring cup in with the drinking glasses?! Oh yeah- my fiance- that's who! :)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

CutiePatootieFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

75 Posts

Tess
Vancouver WA
USA
75 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  12:45:48 PM  Show Profile
I forgot one! I HAVE to eat pizza in pieces. For example if there are several toppings then I have to eat each individual topping separately (like all of the sausage at once, all of the pineapple, etc...), then the cheese, then the bottom of the pizza, and lastly the crust.

I ate it the "normal" way the other day, and it was so foreign!! Bubby (fiance) thinks I'm a wierdo for doing that.
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  1:09:20 PM  Show Profile
In the morning, after I make my coffee in the coffee maker, I have to make sure it is off and unplugged before I leave. Ok, a safety issue...seems reasonable....but I have to do this about 5 times. I will stand there and stare to make sure over and over.
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  3:06:25 PM  Show Profile
Many of the things you guys talk about I did similarly as a teenager.

I still do these things:

I nibble the white part of the candy corn first and then the orange.
All my clothes have to face the same way in the closet.
I categorize baby food.
I categorize my cangoods.
I categorize the baby toys.
I have to brush my teeth AND floss each and every single night!
I wash my hair with shampoo at least twice then I condition.
I have to wash my hair and while my conditioner is on, soaking in, I scrub my body, shave, etc., then I rinse my cond. out and get out.
I have to sort my laundry before I wash it. I'm a weird sorter, there is no way I could let someone else do the laundry. I refuse to wash kitchen things with any clothing.
When I make the bed, the pillows have to be a certain way.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  3:19:50 PM  Show Profile
Ha, in addition to the rotini thing, I do 95% of the things mentioned here... including the food having to be seperated on the plate, not touching, and not eating stuff that has been "contaminated". So the moral of this story is farmgirls=OCD! But I'm okay with that; keeps things interesting. :-)

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Now Open!: http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  6:16:20 PM  Show Profile
is IS sounding like we are a quirky bunch.
I love it!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  7:04:21 PM  Show Profile
Kelly - I'm totally with you in not walking on the grate covers -- and that is really hard to do while walking in Chicago! My son just rolls his eyes, but humors me....probably because I'm buying dinner!

I've learned that it takes as much time and energy to wish as it does to plan.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  8:47:41 PM  Show Profile
ok,,,,,so I am compulsive about clothes hangers....mine are pink & DH's are blue & it drives me nuts when he uses one of mine...I will go so far as to remove his shirt off of mine & re-hang it on a blue hanger. Also the garments on the hangers must all face the same way.
~~~~
If you see a looney lady @ Wally World(Wal-Mart) folding the T-shirts/sweaters & she is not an employee...it's probably me.... I can't stand un-folded T-shirts/sweaters. It drives my daughter nuts that I do this.
But on the plus side, after reading all these threads.....I am not the only OCD/Loone, thank goodness! That's what I love about you all, We can laugh at ourselves & with each other.
tata-4-now

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  10:38:12 PM  Show Profile
I am a total 'messie', but I do have some little quirks. Lots of the food ones listed here sound familiar. I like to play with my food: Reese's PB cups: nibble the edge, poke out the middle and eat it, then eat the rest of the p.b. out, finally eat the little chocolate ring. Twix bars: bite off the sides and ends, eat the caramel or pb off the top, then the cookie, I could list these ones forever, but you get the idea!
I finish each type of food before eating thenext on, with a couple exceptions.
My dad would alway pile everything in one huge pile and then mix it all up...so gross!!! He'd say the "it's all going to the same place" too...well, yeah, but it doesn't taste the same if it all goes there at the same time!

I have a big thing with right angles...I have to have my furniture at right angles to each other or the wall...if it's not, it bugs me a lot... this applies to things being centered and level as well...drives my husband nuts, especially while do remodeling on our home.

But having tons of clutter everywhere doesn't faze me a bit...strange, I know...

Faith

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  10:23:34 AM  Show Profile
I HAVE to be the first person to attack the Peanut Butter jar!
i don't care if i eat anything else out of the rest of the jar.. but that firts dip!! ahhhhh.. ecstacy! weird huh?

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  12:32:24 PM  Show Profile
I love peanut butter! I like the kind that you have to stir. When I stir it, I make sure some oil is left on top, skim, then eat it. My favorite snack is sliced apples with p/b. I too have no problem(??) with just eating it out of a jar.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic The Quirks That Make Us Who We Are Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page