Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **Welcome Wagon
 I went to Mary Jane's farm!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic I went to Mary Jane's farm!! Next Topic  

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  10:55:47 PM  Show Profile
" Some go to Mecca, but I went to Mary Jane's Farm"
A short story by Julia Hayes

Ladies and gentlemen, I did it!! I actually found my way to Mary Jane's farm just this past Friday. It was exceptional to say the least and I wanted to write about it.

For the past few weeks, I've been in correspondence with three of main "ingredients" that make up this delicious connection we call, Mary Jane's Farm. Carol, Cindylou and Dory have been instrumental in helping me get plugged into the up and coming event at the farm, otherwise known as "farm fair". I had read about the fair and thought it would be fantastic to attend but something bit me and gave me the notion that perhaps I could be a vendor and sell some of the dresses I sew for women and children. I call them "farm gowns". They are certainly simple and, I think, beautiful and tough enough to tackle any job around the farm and at the same time comfortable enough to sleep in after a hard day's work. This is a requirement for any dress I make or purchase. Cindylou sent me vendor information and I thought, "this is great..what fun!" Then I purchased Mary Jane's book and I realized with great humility that I was not ready for the fair. I don't know what I was thinking! I have only a handful of dresses to show, not to mention that I don't have anything really spectacular to decorate a booth, etc.. etc.. I sent Cindylou a 'thanks but no thanks' card explaining to her that I'm just not ready. However, I am still very excited to attend the fair and observe and learn from the pros and perhaps next year I'll be ready. Phew, ok that's done!
In the interim, I had been in contact with Carol, aka techno-goddess, who was helping me get signed into this chatroom system. I was having all kinds of computer-bad-karma and she was just the guru to see me through. We sent emails back and forth chatting about this and that and I mentioned my dresses and the semi-saga of farm fair to which she encouraged me to reconsider! She was so positive and warm and welcoming that I was completely overwhelmed. I can not articulate well the kind of generosity that was expressed. After some moments of feeling completely terrified and full of doubt, I decided to 'go for it!' I'll be a vendor at Farm Fair 2005. I am so excited and thrilled to be a part of this collection of extraordinary people. Dory has been so helpful in assisting me with things to decorate my booth. She, too, has been so encouraging. She said, "Julia even if you have only one thing to sell, that will be enough to come on out and have fun!" Can you believe the spirit of these women?! Amazing!
I haven't felt this kind of collective inspiration in a long time and I really wanted to do something for them. Something to express my gratitude. Something random, spontaneous and fun. Up until this point, Mary Jane's Farm was something I delighted in knowing was only 2 hours away but I never considered visiting the place. Even going to Farm Fair was and is a suspension of disbelief. I decided that I would go to the farm. I would pack my kids (ages 4years and 20 months) and we'd make an adventure of it. If this isn't quirky enough I decided to bake scones and bring them along..in true farmgirl fashion! It was only afterward that I realized how utterly, amusingly ridiculous I am. Can you imagine, me, bringing scones (all organic with the exception of the baking powder! hahaha) to the organic gourmet goddesses of Idaho! I'm baking something for the very women who have inspired me to my core. But this was something that, in my naivete, I hadn't even considered. Had I and I'm certain to have chickened out and I'm so glad I didn't.
After a gorgeous drive, my children and I arrived at the farm. We travelled down a beautiful gravel lane lined with peonies and irises. We saw the most spectacular gardens, that were groomed to perfection. We found a parking spot and began to wander a little down a driveway. We were greeted by a gorgeous fairy, at least that's what she looked like to us, who asked if we needed any help. She introduced herself as Julie Bell. The Julie Bell folks..She was wearing a darling apron, of course, and couldn't have been more friendly and inviting. I told her I was here to drop off tea time snacks for Carol, Cindylou and Dory. Julie pointed me in the direction of Carol's office.
We turned a slight corner and were greeted by an enveloping laugh that was none other than the beautiful creative wizard Carol Hill! She introduced another breath-taking beauty wearing jeans rolled to just below her knees and a cowgirl hat that was mighty, to say the least. It was none other than Mary Jane Butters. I was done..stick a fork in me...my cup runneth over...I hadn't even entertained meeting Mary Jane at this point. I knew I would someday and perhaps at Farm fair, but not during this silly spontaeous adventure I was on with my kids!! Mary Jane, Carol, and Julie were the most gracious hostesses. They are every bit the lighty, airy and brilliant characters they portray all over the pages we delight through in both the magazines and book. We found ourselves sitting with another group of people, sharing brownies, scones and beverages. Cindylou introduced herself with a warm embrace that was reminiscent of a long lost friend. She, too, was wearing spectacular apron and had a quiet gentleness about her that was so calming and endearing. We chatted and giggled and enjoyed. Carol gave me a brief tour, assuring me that my unannounced visit was welcomed and timed to perfection; in between books and magazines. Carol was just so incredible to take the time to be with us. I really only intended to pop in and then take off but her embrace was so intoxicating I could have stayed all day!
The spell was soon to be broken with my son getting awfully itchy to leave. He began interrupting me every time I would begin to say something. (how is it that children have such impeccable timing for things like this?) Suddenly his pestering got to be too much and I knew it was time to leave. Something like, "mamamamamamamamamamamamamamamamamamamamamamamamamamamamamamamamamamamamamamamaaaaaa we need to goooooooooooo!" was ringing in my head! I thanked them all for their generosity, warmth and grace and we left.
As I was driving away I began to laugh uncontrollably. What a weird and wonderful thing I had just done! These women who produce something I think we can all agree is magical and magnificent were real and tangible. They are accessible and so genuine! I didn't think it was possible to feel more inspired, but I do.
I drove home feeling so happy about my life as a gentle-woman farmer and mother. I arrived home and gazed upon my 10 acres and marvelled at its beautiful potential.
I'm indebted to the women who make Mary Jane's Farm such a delicious treat for us all and I'm especially grateful to Mary Jane and her life's philosophy we all share. I think her leadership is what is so inspiring. She has the gentle confidence that allows her to entertain whims and fancies so everyone can have an opportunity to be recognized and praised. She creates 'win-win' situations and this is something truly, truly unique.
If what you see and read on the pages of her magazines and books inspires you, then I recommend you visit her farm. I'm certain appointments would be greatly appreciated. The atmosphere is something even more wonderful and worth savoring! The people there are gentle reminders that we are all unique and gifted and have something to share.
So here's to inspiration and gratitude and may they be the main ingredients for what we all produce and contribute.
blessings, Julia
Thank you for allowing me to use this forum to share such a 'spiritual experience!'

being simple to simply be

Robinwolf
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Robin
Blacksburg Virginia
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  03:36:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Robinwolf an AOL message
Wow! That was beautiful! I don't think I'll ever be able to make it out there - I live on the east coast. So you made me feel like I was there. Thank you!
Tell us more about the dresses you make. Like sizes, and prices.
Robin (the Pomlady)

Let the beauty we love be what we do. -- Rumi--
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  05:57:25 AM  Show Profile
Julia - Thank you for the wonderful account of your visit to the Farm. Wish I were closer. As I see many of you becoming more familiar with MJF, it makes me so happy for you and sad for me!
Your trip sounds so much fun! I am so glad you did it!

Oh, and I, too, would like to know more about your dresses. I wear skirts a lot, and find them very comfy - so I would love to see your dresses.
jpbluesky
Heartland girl

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jun 28 2005 05:58:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  06:19:47 AM  Show Profile
Julia, that sounds so great. Going was a good move, good thing you didnt think about too long. It's great your going to farm fair. I know if I were on the west coast, I would have done the same thing, wouldnt be able to contain myself. Maybe next year I'll get there. I do envy you west coast girls sometimes. Your writing was very descriptive, made me feel like I was right there with you. Good job farmgirl!! Make those dresses, have fun and please let us know how it was. After it's over let me know about your dresses, I'd be interested. Have a great time!! Michele

"she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands". Prov. 31:13
Go to Top of Page

farmgirlruns
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Dana
Mount Vernon WA
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  08:04:29 AM  Show Profile
Julia, Just read your account of MaryJanes Farm and it inspired and added more excitement to the much anticipated trip this weekend. Of course, where else could I be going but to "farm fair" My best girlfriends and I will be heading out Friday to make the 6 hour trek, with aprons on. Thanks for sharing. Dana
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  09:52:53 AM  Show Profile
Wow!! What a day you had..that is so wonderful! I am interested in your dresses too...and so glad that you are going to be a vendor..sure wish I could be there for the fair..I am setting my sights on next year for sure!
Have fun!!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  10:02:43 AM  Show Profile
Julia -- what a wonderful trip you and your children had! It sounds like heaven. I'm within an 8 hour drive to Farm Fair but won't be able to make it this year. Your posting of your trip made me feel like I had already been there! I'd love more information on your dresses too.

Kay

Proud Member of North Clark County Farmgirls
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  11:24:22 AM  Show Profile
Wow Julia What a beautiful day! Thanks for telling us all about it. I want to move there! Can't make it to the Farm Fair this year, but some day I will go when I can find someone to take care of my animals and farm here in Texas.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  11:33:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Can't wait to see ya'll at the Fair!

Ciao

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  2:35:20 PM  Show Profile
Oh Julia,
Isn't it a remarkable experience. I went in June!I posted photos on another thread here of the farm when I visited. I will not be able to go to farm fair but am considering being a vendor in 2006. Please post a photo of your remarkable dresses if you have a way to do so. I love dresses and live most of my days in one. Only really dirty work or construction jobs get me into my overalls. I love my overalls and flannel shirts too but the dresses are so much more comfortable. I have been known to just tie a knot in the front of the skirt to get it up out of the way while gardening.I have a special apron that I wear while gathering my fruit and canning.
Please tell us all about your experiences at the farm fair after you get home.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  3:38:32 PM  Show Profile
Julia
Please more about your dresses! Thank you for the lovely description of your trip to the farm. It made me feel like I was there right along beside you.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Robinwolf
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Robin
Blacksburg Virginia
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  4:02:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Robinwolf an AOL message
Is there a way for you to send an attachment about your dresses?
Robin

Let the beauty we love be what we do. -- Rumi--
Go to Top of Page

Lindy Reilley
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Lindy
Fillmore California
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  8:18:24 PM  Show Profile
Julia,
I hope your letter makes it in one of the magazine issues - it was beautifully written.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  8:34:33 PM  Show Profile
Julia, Thank you for sharing your joy with us...

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

pegC
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Peggi
New Jersey
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  6:56:04 PM  Show Profile
Just wanted to say howdy! I'm new to this whole forum thing. Not sure I understand how to introduce myself or respond. But I see you are a Jersey FarmGirl too and wanted to say hi (or howdy because I am really from Indiana). Not sure where farmingdale is. I live up north, near Sussex County in NJ. I have small 3/4 acre spot in mountain woodlands. My dear husband patiently dug out an 11' x 11' plot, 1.5 feet down, for our family garden and I have been nurturing the soil since. (He dug up enough rocks to make a border for my flower garden and the front bed of bushes, and a border around a tree from my grandmother's home (my memorial to her, my place to see her and be with her).

Anyway, just today was out harvesting broccoli, swiss chard, and lettuce with my 2 1/2 year old son Owen, who ate most of the broccoli and brought the rest to his father and his 4 1/2 year old brother.

My carrots are all "hairy" and my radishes are spicy. Anyone have any tips? I'm new to gardening in heavy, clay soil, still rocky and clay like despite my efforts to make it over. I add compost, leaves, hay every fall.

Thanks. Love everything I am reading here. I am technologically out of touch. Wish I could call you across my pond instead of typing out. Thankful to have this chat room though.

Peg
quote:
Originally posted by westernhorse51

Julia, that sounds so great. Going was a good move, good thing you didnt think about too long. It's great your going to farm fair. I know if I were on the west coast, I would have done the same thing, wouldnt be able to contain myself. Maybe next year I'll get there. I do envy you west coast girls sometimes. Your writing was very descriptive, made me feel like I was right there with you. Good job farmgirl!! Make those dresses, have fun and please let us know how it was. After it's over let me know about your dresses, I'd be interested. Have a great time!! Michele

"she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands". Prov. 31:13

Jersey Farm Girl in Training
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  9:20:35 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Peggi!!
lets see..hairy carrots usually mean too much fertilizer if that helps. I don't know about the 4 radishes. Your place sounds great. I am glad you are here!!!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  9:42:53 PM  Show Profile
Radishes get really spicy when the weather is warm. They have their best flavor when grown during the cool times, like spring and fall. You are definately off to a great start with your garden.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

pegC
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Peggi
New Jersey
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2005 :  06:33:59 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jenny! Hmmm...Fertilizer. I don't use any but maybe it's something in my compost home brew. I like your quote about the best things in life aren't things at all.

Heading out to my garden with the boys now. Just read the paper over breakfast and I am disgusted and depressed about the state of the world. I usually avoid the news. Hard to find anything I can read to/share with the kids that does not involve violence, betrayal or death.

So we are off to count butterflies and dragonflies. My son Joe has names for many of them, including "Katy" the catepillar we watched grow from catepillar to cocoon to a small yellowish butterfly with a bull-eye kind of spot on her wing.

Peg

quote:
Originally posted by Aunt Jenny

Welcome Peggi!!
lets see..hairy carrots usually mean too much fertilizer if that helps. I don't know about the 4 radishes. Your place sounds great. I am glad you are here!!!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2005 :  08:15:56 AM  Show Profile
Good morning! Welcome peg.. I think you will really enjoy this chatroom. I sure do! I've found it incredibly helpful, resourceful and inspiring! Your place sounds heavenly. I have got to get outside today and do some serious weeding.. The weeds are starting to smirk every time I enter the gardens!!! hahahaha I also have to lay netting over my blueberries. Last year, the quail had a huge party and ate every single last berry..not this year! The birds already nailed one of my cherry trees!! Greedy little buggers! have a gorgeous day and I hope a butterfly flutters on your finger!
Blessings, Julia
quote:
Originally posted by pegC

Thanks, Jenny! Hmmm...Fertilizer. I don't use any but maybe it's something in my compost home brew. I like your quote about the best things in life aren't things at all.

Heading out to my garden with the boys now. Just read the paper over breakfast and I am disgusted and depressed about the state of the world. I usually avoid the news. Hard to find anything I can read to/share with the kids that does not involve violence, betrayal or death.

So we are off to count butterflies and dragonflies. My son Joe has names for many of them, including "Katy" the catepillar we watched grow from catepillar to cocoon to a small yellowish butterfly with a bull-eye kind of spot on her wing.

Peg

quote:
Originally posted by Aunt Jenny

Welcome Peggi!!

Jenny in Utah

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic I went to Mary Jane's farm!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page