Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Sewing Rookie Needs Advice :)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Sewing Rookie Needs Advice :) Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  6:10:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ladies-

I saw some really cute aprons in a local antique/consignment shop and they inspired me to attempt to sew my first apron. I have MaryJane's Book and magazines so I have access to patterns.

My question is actually on sewing logistics. How is the best way to sew a gather? Any tips or tricks?

Alee

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  7:17:07 PM  Show Profile
Check out sewing.org and click on sewing guidelines. Then you won't have to wait for answers. If sewing by machine you can use pins or long long stitches and pull. I would use pins myself I am figuring you are gathering the skirt to band part with strings. If by hand do long running stitches and when you pull it will gather. Hope that helps!!
Go to Top of Page

Terre
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Indiana
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  7:55:04 PM  Show Profile
Hi Allee! You want to make your seams 5/8". It is best to measure this from the needle of your sewing machine so you can see where that is. This will make it easy to sew your seams and there are usually markings on the metal plate under/next to the pressure feet which you can use as guides while you sew. To sew a gather, I usually run one or two long basting stitches (don't backstitch the ends) and then pull on the one closest to where your seam will be which will gather the fabric. I usually do two in case one breaks then you have another. Then you can sew your gathered material to the other piece of your pattern. You just want to be careful that your gathers don't get folded over vs gathered while you are sewing. After you sew your seam then just go back and remove your basting stitches. They should come out fairly easy. One of my first projects was an apron. I'm sure you will enjoy it when you're done! One year for Christmas, I made my mother-in-law and apron with pockets that had tracings of my young children's hands that I had done with fabric crayons. Turned out good. I should have made myself one though. Happy sewing!

Be true in heart.
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  8:06:45 PM  Show Profile
intimelyfashion.com there is a tutorial you may want to look at also
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  8:11:16 PM  Show Profile
Alee,

I used the long basting stitch method of gathering for years, mostly using 2 rows. Another really easy method is to zig-zag OVER a heavy thread. Just lay a heavyweight thread, floss, or whatever down the center of where you are going to sew, and then zig-zag over, but NOT THROUGH, the cord. Pulling the cord will gather it quite easily.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  8:31:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Terre-

What a great idea! I should do that for my mom. That is, if I get this whole sewing thing mastered :)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  9:57:16 PM  Show Profile
Alee,look up adorn.com under web exclusives and there is apron there with gathers or it is also in this issue of adorn. You can do this I know you can just take your time and keep your seam ripper handy. Do not try to do it from start to finish a little here and there then you won't get frustrated. Goodluck let us know how u make out.
Go to Top of Page

threebusybees
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Mandi
Myrtle Beach South Carolina
222 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  6:00:37 PM  Show Profile
Alee
How's the apron going? I haven't had spare time to get to it. It seems my children know I want to do something.Isabella with pink eye, Riley's asthma is acting up, Emma well she's a toddler!
Let me know we can give moral support. I will send your book out this week!

MANDI

" Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler " -Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Sewing Rookie Needs Advice :) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page