Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Calling all "Vintage" Farmgirls....Osteoporosis
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Calling all "Vintage" Farmgirls....Osteoporosis Next Topic  

lamamama
True Blue Farmgirl

255 Posts

Melanie
CA
USA
255 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  01:29:19 AM  Show Profile
As part of my recent health issues/cancer scare, I had a bone scan done. Results showed I have osteoporosis in my hip & spine. YIKES! While I am no Spring chicken, at 54 I am hoping to have a good number of years to go. (As a single Mom, my 2 kids reallly need me....they're 14 & 11.)

Have any of you Farmgirls been diagnosed with osteoporosis? What did you do? I really, really do NOT want to take HRT, or the "bone glue" medication you see so many commercials for. My Doc isn't a fan of bone glue, either, but yet doesn't feel that the natural approach really works.
Any advice or experience you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Melanie

vintagegrl
True Blue Farmgirl

280 Posts

Jeanette
NH
USA
280 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  05:35:15 AM  Show Profile
Melanie, am so sorry to hear about your osteoporosis. I do not have osteoporosis, I do have major problems with balance. I practice Tai Chi and Qi Gong every day, and take lessons from a teacher 3 times a week. Since I have been practicing Tai Chi/Qi Gong (about 3 years), my balance has improved (which reduces the possibility of falls which can cause fractures). It also helps in osteoporosis. Here's a site that explains more if you're interested:

http://www.worldtaichiday.org/WOMENandTAICHI.html

Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  05:58:17 AM  Show Profile
Melanie, I have brittle bones so Im told but I don't feel brittle. I just take calcium & eat ALOT of greens.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  12:22:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Melanie-

A tried and true farmgirl that I know here in the community had much the same problem and is about your age. A few years ago she broke her leg in a horse riding accident. It never healed properly. Even after they removed the cast she could hear the bone cracking as she walked. The doctors were concerned about her being able to continue to walk. She started raising diary goats and drinking fresh non processed goats milk. Today her leg is fine and the doctors are completely floored by her bone density.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  4:45:03 PM  Show Profile
I also had a bone scan done - in my late forties because I was having some pain in my right hip. It showed osteopenia, which is the precursor of osteoporosis. I take calcium supplements, but try to get the majority of my calcium through green leafy veggies, milk, yogurt, etc.

The other important thing to remember is to begin/continue with weight bearing and strength-building exercise. That will make a significant difference in the health of your bones. A physical therapist can recommend specific routines that will help.

P.S. My follow-up bone scan two years later showed slight improvement in the bone density.

I've tried to find a suitable exercise video for women my age...but they haven't made one called "Buns of Putty"

Edited by - ponyexpress on Apr 20 2007 4:46:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

lamamama
True Blue Farmgirl

255 Posts

Melanie
CA
USA
255 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  7:57:20 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, everyone, for your kind responses.

Sandy, did you do anything besides the increased Calcium? Specifically, did you do anything with weights? And what great news about your scan!! Good for you! At this point, I would be happy to gain even just a tiny bit. Odd thing is, for many years I have had a very good diet, with absolutely no soda of any kind, lots of leafy greens, tofu, yougurt, whole grains, etc. I did not, however, supplement with any vitamins or Calcium. And, to be truthful, I have not done any regular exercise for 14 years, since having my kids. Yes, yes, I know that it is shameful, but I've just been so busy as a working, single Mom. I'm trying to get up the motivation to do a regular exercise program, including free weights. I've heard they are very good for slowing bone loss, & actually building it in a lot of cases.
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  07:54:48 AM  Show Profile
Soy milk higher in calcium then cows milk. Iuse a lot of soybean products hope that helps.
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  09:05:02 AM  Show Profile
Walking is a great way to start with an exercise program - and it is good for the hip and back bones. I'm not really consistent with any exercise program - I hate to go to a gym...I would much prefer to work/exercise rather than spend time on a treadmill. So, I would volunteer for barn duty, shoveling ****, pushing wheelbarrows, etc.

Try to start by taking the stairs instead of the elevator. Park farther away in the parking lot to force the extra steps.

And actually, the May/June issue of AARP magazine has an excellent article on a 30-minute fitness plan that uses free weights.

Jeanette mentioned Tai Chi and I would second that..along with yoga. I need to get back to my gentle yoga class, because I really did feel better when practicing regularly. About six weeks into the class, the instructor commented that she noticed how much stronger I had become ( I guess in being to maintain posture and poses).

Good luck - I wouldn't discount the natural remedies just because your physician doesn't support them. Your bone scan results should have shown the percent in decline of bone density and your risk factor for fracture - mild, moderate or severe. Take a look again at your results and then you and your doctor can come up with a plan of action.

I've tried to find a suitable exercise video for women my age...but they haven't made one called "Buns of Putty"
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  3:29:05 PM  Show Profile
Melanie, I brought my "Bone Density" report up for you to look at. The supplements which include magnesium, silica, boron, and vitamin K have made such a difference. I'm thinking non-pasturized milk would have all this, if I could only get it! The book on exercise for menopause is really good, too--uses free weights and leg weights. Hope it helps you!
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

lamamama
True Blue Farmgirl

255 Posts

Melanie
CA
USA
255 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  10:02:34 AM  Show Profile
Thanks again, everyone, for all of your helpful suggestions.

Ann - I really appreciate you bringing the previous thread up about this issue. Duh..... I didn't think to look through old threads for it.
I was so pleased to see that your bone density had actually improved! Wow! Have you had any more scans since that time? What things are you doing now?

At this point, I think I'm just going to try all the natural approaches first: the supplements, exercise (gee, trying to find time is going to be SO hard!), free weights. Many, many years ago I did yoga regularly, & have always missed it - so I think I will also go back to that. Hmmm..... I wonder if the question of balance is improved more with Tai Chi than yoga????? Fortunately, I have innately excellent balance, so hopefully that might be one of my few positives in this whole thing.

After the scan results came in, my Doc really scared me with her little speech about the risks of osteoporosis. Not fun to hear, to say the least. Apparently my bones are pretty weak. It's hard not to think about those scary stories of old women collapsing their spine just by a hard sneeze.

Thanks, again, Farmgirls!
Melanie
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  10:35:53 AM  Show Profile
Melanie, my doctor has told me I can wait two years before my next dexa :) I still use the supplements and do the exercises. I expect to do both indefinitely. And, I do use the bio-identical hormones, but don't know for how long. Email me if you'd like, and I'll give the supplement amounts. I started with them as opposed to simply using calcium/vit.D after years of no bone increase... and then read an article by a Dr. who treated an elderly woman's fracture successfully with them.

How have you made out with your diagnosis (or hopefully, lack of!) concerning cancer? I still pray for you... any updates?
Take care,
Ann

There is a Redeemer.

Edited by - Phils Ann on Apr 23 2007 10:37:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

vintagegrl
True Blue Farmgirl

280 Posts

Jeanette
NH
USA
280 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  04:19:51 AM  Show Profile
Melanie,

I've practiced Tai Chi for two years now and it has improved my health tremendously. My balance is way better than it was and despite the high amount of steriods I sometimes have to take, my bone density is still good. I love yoga as well. However, there's something about the moving meditation of Tai Chi that is a good fit for me. Here's another interesting article about the health benefits of Tai Chi, the elderly and shingles (chicken pox virus).

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007704220320

Go to Top of Page

lamamama
True Blue Farmgirl

255 Posts

Melanie
CA
USA
255 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  10:10:37 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, AGAIN, for continued great input. Please know how much I value & appreciate your taking the time to help me!

Ann, I sent an e-mail to you ......hope you get it.

Jeanette, that article was really interesting! I have to say that I'm not at @ surprised that there is something "more" to Tai Chi than just exercise. When I first did yoga - @ the age of 19 (gosh, was I ever really that young?!?) - I started it just for the physical benefits. Within 2 sessions, I became a total convert to the spiritual & mental aspects of yoga. It was incredible.

I have a feeling that this issue is going to be something I will have to stay on top of for the rest of my life. So naturally, I want to "get it right."

I do hope all you Farmgirls with daughters & grand-daughters are making sure your girls are doing everything they can to lay down a solid bone foundation.
Thanks, again
Melanie
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  10:36:35 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies. I have a question for those of you that have osteoporosis. What are the symptoms and is the testing expensive. Since I had a total hyst. a few years ago I have for the past 2 years had so much pain. I hurt everywhere, hips, knees, back, ankles. I've sorta got used to the pain and I don't take anything. The dr. checked me for rheumatoid arthritis but said blood work came back ok. But I know it's not normal to hurt like I do. Thanks for any info.
~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

www.mikkijo.etsy.com

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
http://strawberriesnapronstrings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - May 06 2007 :  1:26:55 PM  Show Profile
Mikki, the pain you describe doesn't sound like osteoporosis, which is painless unless you break a bone. If you have osteoporosis, you would most likely be losing height as your spine would be collapsing. Can you have your height checked? As for cost, without insurance, it's less than $200--maybe $150, but you should be able to call the facility and ask. I'm so sorry for your pain, which sounds awful.
XO,
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - May 06 2007 :  5:23:13 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info Ann. I'm going to have to go back to the dr. I guess. Just hate to.
~~Blessings, Mikki Jo
www.mikkijo.etsy.com

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
http://strawberriesnapronstrings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

vintagegrl
True Blue Farmgirl

280 Posts

Jeanette
NH
USA
280 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  06:02:18 AM  Show Profile
Melanie,

Good and Healing thoughts from me to you. Keep giving us updates when you have the time.
Go to Top of Page

synapases
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

sherrie
san francisco california
USA
13 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  10:37:15 AM  Show Profile
i'm sorry to learn about the osteoporosis. it must be a scary time for you. along with the soymilk suggestion, be sure to get a lot of vitamin d in your diet too. it's an assist in calcium uptake in your body. take care

farmgirl at heart
my cause: afghans for afghans
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Calling all "Vintage" Farmgirls....Osteoporosis Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page