Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 When it's time for the dog to find a new home.....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic When it's time for the dog to find a new home..... Next Topic
Page: of 2

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  12:36:39 PM  Show Profile
I'm not trying to have a tone here, so please understand that--I'm going to respond to what you said about shelters...I want to say that actually having worked at an animal shelter for 2 years in Kentucky, my experience with this is that, our state laws term it as "abandonment" and it is a fineable offense (at least in Kentucky). Different states have different rules, obviously.

This is a good thing in the event that people frequently dropped dogs off overnite that were ill, or malnourished, severely abused or at deaths door...We had not "history" and then would place them in the regular population because we didn't have the space for quarantine...that opened the rest of perfectly wonderful dogs to illness, behavior issues, etc...We actually installed a camera to video people dropping animals off, that way prosecution was easier. Basically, from a shelter standpoint, if you drop an animal off without filling out appropriate relinquish paperwork, not only does the shelter NOT get a fee for your unwanted animal (to care, house, and hopefully adopt them out), they take on risk, and push another equally deserving dog to the front of the line to be euthanised.
Sorry, but that's the truth (from most shelter's view points)

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  1:29:29 PM  Show Profile
I do completely understand your point Jonni. I'm not completely unaware of the problems concerning animal population, control, shelters, and the sad fact of euthanasia. I would like to add that this was a PRIVATE shelter, not a state run one, and they do NOT euthanise. I do understand that not euthanising puts quite a burden on them, as far as caring for every last animal that is relinquished or abandoned. Part of the reason I'm frustrated with the situation is that if they're worried about rabies, she had her tag from last fall. If they wanted to call us to find out if we LOST our dog, or if we dropped it off, if we wanted to come get it, the number was on her tag!!!!, but they jump the gun because of other careless people, and had to "contact the authorities"...whatever that means. I'm not sure if that's just a report or pressing charges, but still, the point of shelters, especially a no kill shelter isn't to turn away animals because it's convenient for them, I thought it was to take in animals at the cost of keeping them until they find a home either here on earth or otherwise. If someone else had dropped a dog off unfortunately, I may take your side and condemn the other person, but it was my decision and my huband's actions, and we'll deal with it as it comes.
Go to Top of Page

primjillie
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Jill
Antelope CA
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  3:45:18 PM  Show Profile
Christine, I don't think you understand some of the other's points. You dropped off a potentially ill, potentially dangerous dog because you didn't want to deal with her. It makes it much easier for a shelter to know the history of the dog if they want to adopt it out. They shouldn't have to call you to get the history. You seem to be blaming the shelter for not doing what you should have been responsible for. I don't know about other cities, but here in Sacramento, there is a fee for dropping off an animal to help offset their upkeep. I still think you should have taken her to the vet first, and if there was a serious health or behavior problem, you would have had the option of putting her to sleep. I am sorry you are going through this.
Go to Top of Page

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  4:00:38 PM  Show Profile
I've worked at the humane society. Most people that work there are burned out just like CNA's at nursing homes. They turn hard and gruff. Everyone was out to get money and belittle the public as much as they could. It was like they were getting revenge for the animals, being as rude as possible, scaring people into handing over more money.
Sorry you are going through so much turmoil.

http://love-in-a-mist-shannon.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  4:10:11 PM  Show Profile
My husband is the animal control officer in our small town. You'd think in a town of 70 residents there wouldn't be many problems, but there are. I dealt with the last drop off. It cost the tax payers in town over $500 to take care of the dog. Unfortunately, the owner of the dog isn't going to do the right, responsible thing and pay the bill unless the town drags him into court. He can be cited for cruelty to animals, neglect and abandonment.

There's a cat that needs to be caught. She was dumped at the former ACO's house, probably by someone who thought it was still his responsibility. She has a sore under her neck that needs to be shaved, cleaned, maybe stitched, and she needs an antibiotic. The former ACO is working on catching her. If she's turned in to my husband the town will have to pay for another irresponsible owner's bill. I know where she came from. They'll deny her.

Dumping an animal isn't fair to anyone. I'm sorry this was rough on your Cristine, but your dad is right. Why should your problem be forced on someone else without even a note or phone call? What if the dog had suffered more and died before she was found? That would have been rough on the dog and the people you dumped her on. If you can have this thread pulled you might want to think seriously about doing it. It's an admission of guilt. Good luck. I do sincerely hope this works out. Offering to pay the vet bill might help.

Robin
www.outdoorwriter.wordpress.com
www.thymeforewe.com

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  5:00:56 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for not getting too upset, Christine. I'm not trying to be preachy, just passing on experience in an area where I've actually had it. In our tri state area, our "no kill" shelters only pull from shelters, and do not accept strays or abandoned dogs--except on the death of the owner, and maybe not even then. While that may sound rough, I see their point... I think, anymore, you'll find that because of the pet overpopulation, even though there are rescues and no-kill shelters for a gazillion dogs and cats (and even birds!), they are just completely overrun, and while they want to save them all, they simply can't. Then there are those "no kill" shelters that are really more about "collecting and hording" but that's another story for another day....Anyhoo, they rely frequently on foster homes, and most of them max out their own personal credit accounts. Like most volunteer organizations, you lose dedicated fosters more often than not...it's rough to keep relying on folks and they do get burnt out. It sounds like to me that the shelter you went to may have adopted (as either an organization) or fall under the state regulatory issues, the "abandonment" codes in the law.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  5:14:43 PM  Show Profile
All I can say is you have made a decision and now you have to live with it whether right or wrong. Where is the dog now?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic When it's time for the dog to find a new home..... Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page