asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  06:52:52 AM  Show Profile
Where I work I sit by a big window on the second floor. Outside our window are large fir trees and chestnuts. A few days ago a mourning dove made a nest right in the one fir tree that a co-worker and I have a clear view of. For we knew it she had two little eggs in the nest. We were all excited, thinking if the eggs are good in a couple of weeks we would see babies - what a thrill. Our little mother was good - she sat on that nest in the rain and wind etc, rolling her little eggs, keeping them warm. Then yesterday a big crow came and scared her away - we banged on the windows and tried to scare it but the crow reached down and plucked one of the eggs from the nest and ate it!! We were all so disappointed. I came in this morning and no dove - she is gone and the remaining egg is left in the abandoned nest. So sad. The only bright side is that Mourning Doves lay about 6 to 10 times a season, so she is probably already scouting out a new location for a new nest.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  07:01:29 AM  Show Profile
OH! I love wild birds! That is so sad!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  07:05:20 AM  Show Profile
I'm really saddened by this story--jerky crow. I guess it's the life path, though, isn't it?

We had a petite little dove that nested every year on our third story brownstone window ledge. Every year, her nest and eggs would get blown away by spring storms but she always came back and nested in the same place....poor planning, maybe? But pure faith? Absolutely. I love those little doves. What resilience.

Anne, you are a good friend of nature's creatures.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  07:31:45 AM  Show Profile
Anne: I am so sorry to hear that! She was probably nearby watching... Hopefully, she'll return.

We had a sweet mourning dove momma that nested outside of our three-season porch for the past two years. Last year, she had five eggs hatch and brought two babies up until the three of them outgrew her nest. What a treasure to watch. This year - no momma. I keep looking out for her, but the nest has disintegrated. I still check every day, though! ~ K

~ Kaylyn ~ (Living in Suburbia with a FARMGIRL Heart!)

My Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
My Life: http://vintageredhead.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  3:33:19 PM  Show Profile
Of course the "nasty" crow came back this morning to eat the last egg. No sign of momma dove - she is long gone. I am sure she and her mate are scouting for a new nesting site for the next round, hopefully it will be better protected. I do miss not seeing her outside of our window.

Anne in Portland

Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  4:15:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Poor Dove....the food chain is sometimes so very cruel....Do you think birds feel sadness when this happens?

Keep Smiling.....Bev
Bee Haven Acres
http://beehavenacres.blogspot.com/
http://beehavenmaven.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  4:16:42 PM  Show Profile
Nature. I like crows. I also like doves. Variety is the spice of life, and egg predation is nature's way of keeping balance.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  9:47:00 PM  Show Profile
Doves are not always the smartest birds. We had one dove make a nest in one of our hanging plants one spring. Unfortunately the hanging basket was right outside the back door (by a foot or so) and to top it off, the basket was haning only a couple of feet above the dogs' heads. Not only did we freak her out every time we opened the back door, but the dogs kept barking at her and yet she gallantly stayed on the nest until those eggs hatched. But I think she speeded up the flying process because two days later she was pushing those babies out of the nest and making them fly to somewhere else! (They did away safely...)

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  06:49:53 AM  Show Profile
I do have to admit that the dove didn't make her nest in a very hidden place and it was only made up of twigs and pine needles - kinda loosely done. I also have to admit that Crows are very smart birds. I don't know if animals always feel the remorse of loss or not, hard to say. As my boss said at least the crow came and ate the eggs before the dove got too far along or before the chicks actually hatched, that would have been a nasty site to witness. Yes it is the law of nature, but sometimes it is hard to take in.

Anne in Portland

Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  4:41:26 PM  Show Profile
Every year my neighbors and I drive around a nest one dove insists on laying in the road. There's nature, then there's me. :) Crows are fantastically smart, make terrible pets. They sure are fun to watch when they aren't doing something we wish they wouldn't.
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  5:35:30 PM  Show Profile
it's so hard when you see things in the natural world that we think are terrible. I hate that & it it sad.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2007 :  4:20:11 PM  Show Profile
Hateful Bird!
When you know he would have been just fine dumpster diving!

The Natural order of things can send me spinning sometimes..
It's like watching some nature show.. as the preditor seperates the little whatever it is from it's heard.. & slowly gains on him.. You just know it's inevitable.. i mean i sit there like I'm watching some dumb sporting event.. yelling at the beast to Trip.. Fall.. loose his footing or something so the wee one can get away.. & THEN i start yelling at the Camera Man.. SHOOT IT!!!

Of course they never do though.. the stupid great white shark always gets the seal..
The wolf got the the little injured Doe..
just once though.. i'd like to see the table turned!
let that Mama Dove Come back & just knock that crow into Traction!
Yea! That was my baby ya big jerk!

ok.. sorry.. ranting again..

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Tragedy Struck, so sad... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page