Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 finally moving/what about the internet??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic finally moving/what about the internet?? Next Topic  

Linda
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Linda
Swanton MD
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  07:28:14 AM  Show Profile
In the next month we will be retiring and moving to our 10 acres of woods in a remote part of Western Maryland. We are anxious to get away from the Balti/Wash suburbs and get back to a simpler, more peaceful way of life from whence we came! We have prepared for this for 7 years and are very excited about the changes to our life.

We have had high speed internet forever and we will only have access to the internet thru dial up service when we move. I was wondering what to expect. Is it really that different from high speed? Do many of you farmgirls out there have dial up? How does it affect your use of the Farmgirl Connection or your blogs or anything else that you frequent? I was curious if it would be a major change or not. I will probably be outside tending to my chickens and my woods and my flowers, or inside sewing or baking or canning, but I think we have all come to rely on the internet for communication and it's "library" features.

Any words of wisdom or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much.

Linda

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  07:37:08 AM  Show Profile
If you go all the way and shell out the dough for the really expensive DSL dial-up it might be comparable to high speed. But, if you get the regular dial-up it's dog slow. Sorry! I still used the Farmgirl connection forum, but I let my inbox on my e-mail get really piled up because I remember it taking forever to go through all my e-mails. I just let them go.

When we had it it was the regular package and my husband really hated it because he downloads all kinds of stuff, music, tv shows, movies, sermons, audiobooks, etc. So for 1 tv show he would start the download at night and it would be done in the morning. (It took several hours).

There is a higher speed available though, so maybe you can get it and maybe it won't be as expensive in your area.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  07:42:31 AM  Show Profile
DSL is just fine for email and looking things up. I don't know about downloading movies and such; I'm not into any of that. We don't have cable, so this is the fastest option available through our phone company. My fil had regular old dial up as of a few years ago, and it was terrible. So slow that it was functionally unusable. He was just too stubborn to pay more than $10/month for internet access.

I'm not sure why you will only have access to dial up in your new area. Is it because there's no cable available? I have some friends in a rural area where that is the case. They have satellite TV and internet and it is plenty fast. They do way more on the computer than I do. Might be worth getting it, even if you don't need lots of TV channels.
Go to Top of Page

Linda
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Linda
Swanton MD
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  08:27:53 AM  Show Profile
There is no cable or DSL service out there. We will have Direct TV (satellite), but their internet service is almost $90/month on top of the TV cost of $42!! I just wondered if dialup was as bad as I thought it may be!!

Linda
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  08:41:13 AM  Show Profile
We have dial-up and it is not that bad. We have no cable service where we are although there will soon be satilite available in May. Spendy though. I have 4 blogs, visit many others and play games and have e-mail but that said-----never having high speed I really have nothing to compare this with. Pictures upload fast enough under one minute and that is ok with me. So it goes. Patience is a virtue. lol MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  08:41:14 AM  Show Profile
Oh, yikes! I had no idea Direct TV cost so much. I'm afraid dialup is pretty bad, in my experience. Maybe there is one provider that is better?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  08:54:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Linda-

I think you will find dial-up a little bit of a shock after having had high-speed for so long, but I also think that you will get used to it. Especially for the forums you shouldn't have any problems. Dial-up usually shows how slow it is when trying to view or upload pictures.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  09:25:05 AM  Show Profile
I hated dial up but it is useable. After having DSL now I don't think I could go back!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

highlandgirl
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Cheryl
Colfax, WA
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  09:43:06 AM  Show Profile
We had dial-up for the past 10 years. We live outside any cable or DSL service area. Last year we switched to satelite service because I am retiring and won't have highspeed access anymore at work. The cost is worth it. The speed is great. The service has been great and at least in our area, the cost difference between dial-up and satelite wasn't that shocking. Have you checked into dial-up costs in your new place?

Good luck!!

<font size="1"><font color="green">The average person has five senses: touch, taste, smell, sight and hearing. The genius has two more....horse and common.</font id="green"></font id="size1">
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  6:54:37 PM  Show Profile
Maybe think of it in this way, you are retireing, slowing down, so will your internet! We have dsl and love it. We had dial up, so big difference. Michele
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic finally moving/what about the internet?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page