True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  5:15:24 PM  Show Profile
Ida,

What a great list of items you have! The market that I sell at doesn't allow hand crafted items - you are fortunate that you are able to take those!

There is a lady who makes gourmet dog treats. She sets an elegant display - it really looks like a gourmet bakery. Her spot is right next to mine. She gives samples - but at times, we have to stop the humans from trying them! It can be comical.

Good luck with everything!
Ann
http://annforrester.tohe.come
Go to Top of Page

ida
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

ida
camden ohio
USA
56 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  10:51:28 AM  Show Profile  Send ida a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Ann....Yes I am fortunate that they allow hand crafted items. I am actually starting at a new market this year and they want to keep it 25% hand crafted only so I need to get on it and make some of the other stuff! Anyone else sell at their local market? Would love to hear about how it's goin' for you....what's working well and what's not! Our local market begins on Memorial Day weekend....My daughter is graduating highschool the first weekend in June so I will probably start after that! Unless of course I get super organized between now and then....hehe!
Ida

Mom's Makin' Scents
Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  09:25:44 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Alee

Ida-
Hot Process and Cold Process soaps are essentially the same when it comes right down to it- Hot process just gets you there faster and so there are a few different ways scents and things act.

Since cold process soap takes so long to cure, you have a longer time to cut it before it starts to get hard, but I would not advise selling uncured cold process soap at the Farmer's Market.

Just a different perspective on the Hot and Cold Process soap making. I've tried both but have opted for cold process, mainly because I make a 100% milk soap.

When a CP soap cools after saponification, it is basically in the same state as when HP cools after it is molded. The rest of your 'cure' time is for excess moisture to be evaporated. Since you start out with more liquid in HP, you have more liquid to be evaporated, thus a longer 'cure'.

I discount the amount of milk used for my lye solution using about 32% lye and 68% milk. This allows my soaps to go through gel and be unmolded in under 24 hours. Rock hard and ready to sell in 3 weeks.

Back to the OP, animal treats sell very well in our Farmer's Market as do baked goods.

We can not sell food for human consumption unless the county health department can find a suitable amount of fees to hit us with. (only half kidding here)

Each market is different!

Cyndi
Muller's Lane Farm http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  04:15:59 AM  Show Profile
Ida,

How is everything going for the market? Ours begins June 2. I take cut flowers, herbs, planted containers, and blueberries when they are ready. I'm looking forward to starting again this year. Every year the market and my offerings get better.

On June 9, we are participating in the local Start of Summer Parade. We will have a mini horse and cart decorated with flowers and Forrester Farm signs. My girls and some friends will carry flowers and pass out candy. It will be a fun community event, and is a good kick off for the market too.

To all of you who are market vendors..... Enjoy the last week or two of getting ready before the market begins.
Ann
http://annforrester.tohe.com
Go to Top of Page

ida
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

ida
camden ohio
USA
56 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  04:42:48 AM  Show Profile  Send ida a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ann!
Our market begins next weekend, however, I won't be starting until June 9th as my oldest is graduating high school and the first weekend in June is going to be crazy! I have been testing bread recipes and granola recipes....a couple new scents for my candles so that is fun! So it looks like I will be starting out slower then I wanted to but plan to add new stuff each week! How is it going for you and everyone else? Your parade sounds fun! Our county has a huge pork fest in the summer and they have a parade and all....it's so much fun!

I can't wait until things slow down a bit here so that I can get a little more organized for market! Please everyone keep us posted on what is working and what isn't!

Ida

Mom's Makin' Scents
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - May 23 2007 :  4:26:21 PM  Show Profile
How about focusing on some key things and see how they go, and then add complexity as it is warranted.

I sell candles and personally would not do so unless you know you have tested them extensively AND you have product liability insurance...'cause peeps are crazy and sometimes do crazy things with the candles they buy and if they burn their house down, I want some kind o' protection...

Like Lisa I have plenty of scents I should probably unload. I find myself making the key ones over and over and some of the others barely see the light of day.

Check all your kitchen and agriculture requirements before making commitments for sales of baked goods or vegetables. Your market probably has a number of regulations you need to follow. You may also want to investigate the organic or certified organic certifications. Our farmer's market is extremely strict about what can and can't be sold and I personally am glad for that because I really don't want a buy/sell vendor in the next booth, or veggies trucked in from some other part of the country. Of course frozen stuff has other needs as well, including access to electricity and a freezer to perhaps sell out of the back of your truck...

Best of luck to you!

Grew up on a farm...moved to da city...
Go to Top of Page

ida
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

ida
camden ohio
USA
56 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  05:20:15 AM  Show Profile  Send ida a Yahoo! Message
Hi nashbabe....
I've been selling candles for 3 years now and yes you are right....I have all the safety percautions in place! I too have alot of scents and recently narrowed them down significantly....when I started out and someone who say..."do you have this scent" I would say no but I can get it! Thus...way too many scents!

Our area goes by the cottage foods regs....this year is a new market for me....so I will be learning as I go as far as what they expect. I do need to find out the regs on farm eggs as I will be bringing them as well.

Thank you for all of your advice!

Ida

Mom's Makin' Scents
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Farmer's Market Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page