mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  4:27:10 PM  Show Profile
Any of you ever do mystery shopping? How was it? Is it worth it?

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  4:40:06 PM  Show Profile
I did for a grocery store. it wasn't worth it because I spent more than I made. I also had a lot of paperwork to fill out.

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

"Go confidently in the directions of your dreams; live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler." - Henry David Thoreau

http://chevy49girl.livejournal.com/
http://midwestmusings-kim.blogspot.com/
http://chevy49girl.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  7:28:20 PM  Show Profile
Hmm...I've done a bit...gas stations, banks, flooring store...
I don't really think it's worth it in the long run, but it was alright.

Some are easy and require no out-of-pocket expenses, but I did a gas station audit that took forever to do, and twice as long to enter all the stuff online. It didn't require purchasing anything, but I think I made a whopping $2 an hour for it.

I don't know how you could make that your income source, but I do live in a small town, maybe the opportunities are greater elsewhere.

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 23 2007 :  06:04:58 AM  Show Profile
I did it but don't think it was worth it. I live in a small town and had to travel about 50 or more miles for most of the things. The problem was the paperwork though and if you make a mistake they don't reimburse you. Also they require SO MUCH personal info and I began to worry about identity theft. I do have a friend however who does it and LOVEs it!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  7:34:01 PM  Show Profile
I used to test soda machines for a company. Yep, go from fast food place to fast food place and check the machines and see if they were working correctly. Boring as heck, but flexible and that's what I need when I have to drive a kid to school fourish hours a day. They would pay a flat rate. I did it for around a year and a half but as gas prices went up it just wasn't worth it. I had learned to do it efficiently and well and even then I didn't get what I wanted out of it so I decided to stop.

The problem with mystery shopping/quality control is that each gig would be different, they often have very detailed requirements that you must achieve with the store, and then have to spend a bunch of time documenting afterwards...and as others have said, it must be accurate...some mystery shops they tried to get me to do were very specific about what was needed...for my soda work I had to fill out a ten page questionnaire for each store, and spend time calling managers to set appointments, in addition to driving there on my nickel and spending the testing time.

Usually the manager in charge of the project hadn't really done what you had to do and tried to persuade you what a great gig it was...which it really wasn't, it always took longer than stated. I did a job for them one time that took for-stinking ever. I did complain about it and get some extra money as a result, but another really long one netted me nothing extra. That was the end of that and I put my foot down...no more.

Grew up on a farm...moved to da city...
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Mystery shopping Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page