Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Baby Boomer Musings... Gen Xers, Milennials also!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Baby Boomer Musings... Gen Xers, Milennials also! Next Topic
Page: of 3

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2005 :  4:35:52 PM  Show Profile
It seems baby boomers monopolize everything! But there are 75 million of us and that may have something to do with it. We love to talk nostalgia here, but lets here from our younger farmgirl and guy members born after 1964! Whatever any generation wants to reminise about lets do it here. Whether it be fragrance, fashion mistakes, trends, embarrasements, why did I do that?, what was I thinking? kind of thing. I will be the first to admit I bought a pet rock in 1975, and I had a mood ring, and I loved Disco and Abba. That is really serious baggage girls, lets here your secret confessions of the "good old days". Are ya brave enough?

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2005 :  9:27:13 PM  Show Profile
I wasn't born after 1964 but I loved Disco. Even took dancing lessons and were in a few dance contests!!! Didn't win anything but sure had fun. Of course, that was almost 30 years and ??? pounds ago. I probably wore my mood ring when I went out dancing.

Kay

Proud Member of North Clark County Farmgirls
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2005 :  10:18:19 PM  Show Profile
I had a David Cassidy poster on my bedroom wall in Jr. High. How is that for pathetic..haha

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  12:20:52 PM  Show Profile
Let's see...Duran Duran, Hall & Oates, leg warmers, sweatshirts with the neck cut out. Oh, and when I was a wee one I LOVED Holly Hobby. That movie "The Breakfast Club" was huge. Oh, and loved Miami Vice. My inlaws have a photo of my husband in high school and he was dressed like Sonny. I had the hots for all of the actors from the Outsiders, particularly C. Thomas Howell.
Go to Top of Page

Crystal
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Crystal
South Dakota
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  12:32:05 PM  Show Profile
I don't really have any big confessions although I did do my bangs up high with tons of hairspray,and listened to alot of hair bands with guys that looked like me . I would be very intrested though to hear how may out there are "younger" farmgirls . I am 26 born in 1978 and sometimes it seems like I am the only person my age with "farmgirl like" intrests . So am I really the only 20 something in this group ? I hope not .

Crystal
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  12:44:39 PM  Show Profile
Anybody remember Bobby Sherman from the tv show of 1969-1970 - Here Come the Brides (a logging themed show set in Seattle)? He sang too. <sigh> My only childhood idol.... and the reason I bought a few issues of Teen magazine!

How about huge curlers like 4 inch can size? Can't believe I actually slept on those things in hopes of straightening out my natural wave/curls.

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  3:08:34 PM  Show Profile
Oh my Gosh Clare! I had Bobby Sherman plastered all over my room then. He was my DREAM guy! I remember Here Come the Brides! My favorite show of the time. I also loved The Mod Squad. I so wanted to look like Peggy Lipton. She had the coolest clothes. About 10 years ago I got a package in the mail from an old dear childhood friend. Inside were old issues of "Tiger Beat" magazines she ran across cleaning out her parents basement. She remembered my obsession with Bobby Sherman and sent me the mags with his picture all over them. I laughed so much. Looking back on him as a grown woman: "What was I thinking???"

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  5:42:30 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I'll play I'm a gen-xer (born in 1969) and am a huge fan of most kinds of music, but the alternative music scene of the 80's has a special place in my heart - Depeche Mode, New Order, the Smiths, the Cure, etc. etc. But my favorite band ever was Duran Duran (*waves up at Nicol*) and I actually got to meet them last summer! Talk about a teenage dream come true - LOL!

Edited by - laluna on Jun 27 2005 5:43:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  5:56:23 PM  Show Profile
Ok Clare -- I'll admit that I was nuts about Bobby Sherman! Had posters tacked to the inside of my closet door. I would stand in front of the poster and pretend I was kissing him!! Oh Geez -- what a sicko!

Kay

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  5:58:32 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Nicol

Let's see...Duran Duran, Hall & Oates, leg warmers, sweatshirts with the neck cut out. Oh, and when I was a wee one I LOVED Holly Hobby. That movie "The Breakfast Club" was huge. Oh, and loved Miami Vice. My inlaws have a photo of my husband in high school and he was dressed like Sonny. I had the hots for all of the actors from the Outsiders, particularly C. Thomas Howell.

Nicole -- you must be about the same age as my daughter who graduated in 1987. The leg warmers gave it away!

Kay

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  6:01:30 PM  Show Profile
Kay, LOL... I thought I was the only one who was a perv about Bobby!

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  6:24:35 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone remember using stuff called MUDD? It was some kind of clay, earthy facial mask popular in the mid 70's. It was supposed to clear the complexion of all unwanted impurities and blackheads and acne. I used it along with my girlfriends in college. On Thursday nights we had MUDD night. We smeared that brownish junk on our faces and necks and looked like loosers in a mud wrestling contest. It smelled horrible too.

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  10:51:13 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MeadowLark

Kay, LOL... I thought I was the only one who was a perv about Bobby!

Oh I'm so glad that I'm not alone with this obsession -- LOL!!! I remember MUDD -- hard to get off and it didn't smell good at all.

Anyone remember Dippity Do? Talk about stiff hair!! I "set" my hair every night and slept in rollers. I'm surprised I don't have permanent dent marks in my head!

Kay

Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  06:35:01 AM  Show Profile
Bobby Sherman was the cutest thing in the world!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you seen him lately?? I saw him on one of those magazine shoes about a year ago, hes short and pudgy but still has amazing dimples. ALSO, I loved Johnny........ (somebody) from the rifleman, I know IM OLD, but I never missed that show and I would have these fantasies that he loved me and I was his girlfriend. How pathetic was that??. After him it was "JEFF", Paul Peterson from The Donna Reed Show. I'll stop now !!!!!!!!!!!!! Michele

"she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands". Prov. 31:13
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  09:48:07 AM  Show Profile
Kay, I am 35 (or rather will be in 3 mos.) Class of 88.

laluna- I was in love with Nick Taylor. I love listening to 80s music. I too have a wide range of music that I enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  10:02:08 AM  Show Profile
I LOVED here comes the Brides too..and Bobby Sherman. How could you not????

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  10:04:47 AM  Show Profile
Michelle -- I had totally forgotten about Jeff (Paul Petersen) from Donna Reed. I had a major crush on him too. And then there was Ricky Nelson from Ozzie & Harriet!! The list could go on and on!

Kay

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  4:30:19 PM  Show Profile
I still have my Bobby Sherman records!!!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  4:39:46 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kim

I still have my Bobby Sherman records!!!

farmgirl@heart

Okay Kim -- Farmgirls get together at your house to listen to Bobby Sherman!!!

Kay

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  5:22:59 PM  Show Profile
When I was in my early 20's I did a little ceremonial thing and burnt my Bobby Sherman records.... thought it was time to move on... now it would be nice to hear again... just for nostaglia's sake!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  7:11:40 PM  Show Profile
I used to get giddy over him. I still have my Monkees albums too. OOOh Davey Jones, pitter patter!

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  7:37:09 PM  Show Profile
Kim, Big confession here! I loved Davey Jones too, and I still have my Monkee albums. Were you a devotee to their TV show? Did you realize it was all a fake...even their music was dubbed? I liked Mickey Dolenz too, and the guy that wore the cap, Michael Nesbit. In my neighborhood I started a Monkees group and we used the old wooden tennis rackets for our guitars and stood on a door on top of saw horses for stages. I would play the Monkee records in my bedroom and keep the window open so the music could be heard outside near our "stage"... Talk about pathetic... I was into the details, and I alawys played Davey! Cute little Englishman!

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  11:38:04 PM  Show Profile
OUR guitars were made of laundry soap boxes..even worse, and we wore white knee sox and pretended they were go go boots.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  06:19:09 AM  Show Profile
I am cracking up reading this thread! You are all crazy!

How could you forget the Beatles Saturday mornings? They all could have "held my hand", well... maybe not Ringo! But I loved him years later as "Mr. Conductor" on Thomas the Tank Engine!

I loved Here comes the Brides but I liked David Soul better. And for all of you Bobby Sherman fans , I saw a "Where are they now?" blurb and he is an EMT somewhere in California (San Diego, Santa Barbara?)
So... if you are feeling faint and need mouth to mouth pick the right location and your teenage dreams might come true!

Now I will confess to wild and foolish teenage fantasy! Jackson Browne, Jackson Browne, Jackson Browne! and Dan Fogelberg too!
Oh my my my! Nuf said!

I posted this on the VT store thread but will restate: Bonnie Bell lipsmackers, Love's Baby Soft and Lemon, farrah hair,or long straight "Cousin It" hair, big combs, designer jeans, platform sandals, Hukapoo shirts, fairisle sweaters, concert T shirts, ripped jeans, lace up boots, pea coats and army coats, gauzy peasant dresses and tops, turquoise and silver jewelry. And there you have my teenage years so to speak! I'm sure more will filter through but that pretty much covers it!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  09:55:13 AM  Show Profile
I still love the smell of Love's baby soft.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  11:11:04 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone remember Charlie cologne? I wore that in high school and it was really strong. Part of that women's lib thing going on.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Baby Boomer Musings... Gen Xers, Milennials also! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page