Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Baby Boomer Musings... Gen Xers, Milennials also!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Baby Boomer Musings... Gen Xers, Milennials also! Next Topic
Page: of 3

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  11:24:12 AM  Show Profile
Crystal I was born 1979, your not alone in this generation with your farm girl dreams. Ok ladies this is going to sound young but I was MAD about New Kids on the Block. I was such a dork but I thought I was so cool.

Blessed Be

www.sqrlbee.com
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  11:33:03 AM  Show Profile
You aren't such a dork! My daughter was a NKOB fan too! She still is a huge fan of Joey now that he's doing solo work. She's almost 27 yrs. old. I'm glad she chose that group to idolize rather than some of the other choices that were out there!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  11:39:19 AM  Show Profile
The Beatles became popular when I was in 6th Grade!! They have definitely been my favorites for all these years (sorry Bobby Sherman). At least in their early years, not too crazy about them later on. I loved Paul so much that I wanted change my name to Paula. I even wrote that name on my papers at school. When my mom saw it she had a fit! Of course, my parents (especially my dad) didn't like them because of their "long" hair!!

But Bobby's still the one I kissed in the closet!

Kay

Proud Member of North Clark County Farmgirls
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  2:03:18 PM  Show Profile
Hey Farm Girls!!! These posts really take me down memory lane. Rick Nelson, Paul Peterson on Donna Read...I also watched My Friend Flicka and Sky King on Saturday mornings when I was in elementary school. Just remembered that I mastered doing The Twist by listening to Chubby Checker 45's in my bedroom.

When I was a young teen, the Beatles arrived, and I went crazy!. Since I lived near Chicago, we went to many concerts. I was one of the screaming girls at the Beatles concerts. I also loved Peter and Gordon and actually got into a limosine with Paul Simon--since I was in the car, Art Garfunkel (sp?) had to stand outside and wait for me to finish talking to Paul. I carried the autographed concert program around for years.

This fascination with concerts led me to be an event planner in Dallas in the early 90's. I worked on a Rolling Stones Concert and a special Olympics concert featuring The Who and Randy Quaid. My responsibility was the Press Box which was lots of fun.

I am back to being a librarian again, but I am still working on special events once or twice a year. Right now I am working with the publicist for Carlos Santana and his wife Deborah; Deborah has written a very special book called "Space Between the Stars." I have not met them yet, but I can tell from her writing that Deborah is a very down to earth person who considers her primary role in life to be a good mom and wife. As we say here at the library "Check It Out!"

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  2:52:17 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Nicol

Kay, I am 35 (or rather will be in 3 mos.) Class of 88.

laluna- I was in love with Nick Taylor. I love listening to 80s music. I too have a wide range of music that I enjoy!

ROFL! I graduated '89, I remember wearing leg-warmers, "jellies" shoes, "neon" colors, "Madonna" lace gloves that had no fingers...using 1/2 can of AquaNet super-hold (the white and pink can) every day when I fixed my BIG HAIR. I too loved Duran Duran (Nick Rhodes was my favorite), Depeche Mode and The Cure...Ahhhh....the memories!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**
Go to Top of Page

psouper
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

50 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  3:42:40 PM  Show Profile
HI Girls,
I was born in Feb 66, so I was a little bit young for Bobby Sherman, and little too old for jellies/legwarmers and Madonna. But does Leif Garrett ring a bell for anyone? He played Kristi McNichol's boyfriend on "Family" and I was absolutely crazy about him.

Gaucho pants?
Calvin Klein jeans?
The Blue Lagoon?
Breck shampoo? Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific?
Dorothy Hamill Haircuts? (Thanks Mom!)
Buffy and Jody? ( I still have my Buffy and Jody Beauty Case)
Luke and Laura?
Shaun Cassidy/Parker Stevenson?
Remember when Laurie Partridge picked up a radio station on her braces?
Space Food snack sticks?
Knowing all the words on the Grease soundtrack?

Polly

Polly

http://mossbackmeadow.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  3:49:03 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I know all the words on the Grease soundtrack..LOL! My mom wanted to give me a Dorothy Hamill cut, but for whatever reason didn't...I was so in love with Shaun Cassidy...these are all from my early childhood, but remember them vividly! I was also deeply in love with Bo Duke (John Schneider), he even sang country music and I had the 45" of his "It's Now or Never"...

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  5:51:20 PM  Show Profile
OMG Molly - *I* had a Dorothy Hamill haircut! I must have been about 8 years old or so, and my younger sister had a Shaun Cassidy t-shirt that she used to wear all the time. This topic is making me laugh p.s. I was a Simon LeBon girl myself

Edited by - laluna on Jun 29 2005 5:52:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  9:30:26 PM  Show Profile
I had that haircut too..twice!!!! I was grown...19 the first time and about 30 the second time..it was way out of style and I did it anyhow..last time my hair was short! I started growing it long again the very next day. And Bo Duke.....whoa dude...he is still pretty cute!
what ever happened to those space stick snack things..they were so good..at least we thought they were.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2005 :  10:24:01 AM  Show Profile
I'm not sure what the space stick things are, but my favorite childhood candy was (and still is..hehe) Bottlecaps! Love them!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2005 :  10:31:13 AM  Show Profile
I loved something called Squirrel Nut Zippers. I haven't been able to find any for years. There was a little neighborhood food market my friends and I would walk to all the time to make candy purchases. A very grumpy and mean old man ran it. He hated when all these kids like packs of hungry dogs would come in to his little store and buy candy, soft drinks and ice cream. He would throw the candy on the counter because he put it behind the cash register. He really scared me. But I still bought lots of those nut zippers. Sometimes this mean man would throw the candy so hard we had to pick it up off the floor to buy it! He was horrible!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2005 :  12:26:09 PM  Show Profile
Jenny-- I remember Squirrels they were sort of a taffy like caramel or molasses candy with sesame seeds? They were good and if you ate one with a MaryJane taffy it was the best! (I think Squirrel Nut Zippers is/was a band!) Is that what you were talking about? I haven't been able to find them either, when my Dad was alive that was his favorite candy and we loooked all over for them!
Anyone out there remember PopRocks? They still make them but they don't seem as dramatically fizzy as when we were kids! Maybe they
changed the formula!
The kids I know all seem to be into this extremely sour candy now and I think what's the point!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2005 :  3:51:11 PM  Show Profile
Aren't you talking about Beech Nut candies? Squirrel Nut Zippers is a music band (they disbanded a few years ago), they do fun nouveau-swing music, I have a tape in the car I listen to!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2005 :  4:56:27 PM  Show Profile
I think there really was a squirrel nut zipper candy! It is like Bramble described, and had a tan wrapper around it...like taffy. I do now there was a band by that name too... I had the Christmas album! They played funky, nostalgic songs. My favorite was called "Indian Giver"...on a Christmas album! I also adore salt water taffy. There is a place called Patsy's Taffy in Manitou Springs, Colorado that sells THE best taffy on the planet. It is a little white board place that has been there for decades, next to an ancient game arcade. The last time I was there with my family was in Fall '99. I struck up a conversation with the very friendly lady and her 20 something daughter that ran it. She was a retired school teacher from Kansas, fresh from a divorce, and settled in Manitou Springs. We made an immediate connection. She even offered me a job there and had a room to stay in. If I had been foot loose and fancy free I would have taken her up on it. If you all are ever in the Colorado Springs area, visit Manitou Springs... A sleepy,hippy little berg that time has passed by. It is artsy and quirky, but you will love it. And they have natural spring water there than the Manitou tribe discovered. It is one of those places that has a strange vibe about it.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2005 :  10:41:21 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Crystal

I don't really have any big confessions although I did do my bangs up high with tons of hairspray,and listened to alot of hair bands with guys that looked like me . I would be very intrested though to hear how may out there are "younger" farmgirls . I am 26 born in 1978 and sometimes it seems like I am the only person my age with "farmgirl like" intrests . So am I really the only 20 something in this group ? I hope not .

Crystal

No, you are not the only one! I'm 28, and my first name is actually Crystal (for Internet security reasons I use Lynn Grey as an alias - lol)

I had tons of hairspray on my bangs too! My younger brother used to say "you look like a lion" because my hair is pretty wavy and was just past shoulder length.
Jelly bracelets - I had TONS of them!
And I went through the "grunge" phase.
LOVE (ahem, still do) Depeche Mode.
My other music tastes are a little older than that - NIN, Black Crowes. Friday nights was "free sparr" nights at my Karate club (other students from other styles were welcome to join in) and we'd listen to that while kicking tail til midnight. :D

Edited by - greyghost on Jul 02 2005 10:45:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

pennyfour
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

USA
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2005 :  1:08:19 PM  Show Profile
You guys are a hoot. Clare, I was reading the same Teen mag issues with Bobby Sherman when stationed in Okinawa. I was just about to say something about Davey Jones and was laughing to myself when I read you guys writing about the same. My girlfriends and I would walk down the street with the intertwining leg shuffle the Monkeys did in their show! My first album was by the Fifth Dimension...ha! And arguing with my mom about what length my dresses would be...it's fun to hear your reports :) Pennyfour
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1836 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1836 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2005 :  07:13:25 AM  Show Profile
Bobby Sherman was a great singer. I remember having a album of songs.
We went to a Beach Boys concert a couple of weeks ago and that brought back memories of some great summer songs. I noticed that the Letterman are at a local fair in a month. They were good also.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  1:00:39 PM  Show Profile
Had to add a couple more oldies but goodies to the list. Who remembers:

Blue Waltz Perfume
Sweetheart Soap
Lifebuoy Soap
True Story Magazines
Millie the Model Paper Dolls and Comics

I used to babysit a lot and one of the ladies always has True Story magazines. The stories were kind of racy for the early 60s and I used to read hers when I babysat. My mom would have killed me if she had known.

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

North Clark County Farmgirls and
Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  1:56:53 PM  Show Profile
Oh girls! This is so much fun! Western Horse, I think it was Johnny Crawford who played the son on The Rifleman. Meadowlark, I remember Charlie! cologne. My Daddy would buy me a bottle every Christmas :) and Bramble, as for your feelings for Jackson Browne...MOVE OVER GIRL! He is still wonderful! I saw him in concert (solo acoustic) about a year ago. He still has it. He's on the top of my "Exempt List". You know, the list of men that, should they show up to sweep you away (read "when H*ll freezes over"), your husband would have to understand and let you go. Like that would happen! I loved the Eagles too and Still like Dan Fogelberg. I don't think he "held up" as well as Jackson, but who am I to throw stones?!
I remember babysitting and watching shows with the kids like THe Partridge Family and The Brady Bunch. I also remember The Mod Squad. Oh, that Pete was sooo cute!
Do any of you remember when smock style tops were so popular? It drove my mother crazy because she thought we all looked like we were wearing maternity clothes.
You can guess what she thinks about today's fashions.
Fun remembering with you all,
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  2:12:44 PM  Show Profile
oh Kay...did the same thing..read the True Story magazines when I babysat. My mom would have had a cow if she knew too! I had forgotten about those!
I remember the smock tops....luckily they were popular at the same time as we all wore bikinis to the beach..so I guess people could figure out that we wern't really pregnant..comfortable, but not a good choice when you don't NEED a smock top.
My first boyfriend always smelled like Lifebouy soap and I LOVED that smell..probably dated him longer than I would have if he smelled like Zest...haha

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  2:57:09 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, LOL!!! Bet he smelled better than my hubby did when we were dating in H.S. He used LAVA!!!! He milked cows and said it got all the gunk and stink off the best! I read True Story at my neighbors house...My Mom would have had a cow! I also had a boyfriend in H.S. that wore Brut. Remember that stuf, and Hai Karate. They both smelled horrible. But I still love the smell of Old Spice... reminds me of my grandpa.

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  3:05:57 PM  Show Profile
To the two Jennys -- I'm so glad that I'm not the only one that read True Story!!! LOL!!! Boy I sure thought those things were racy -- nothing compared to today's stuff. I loved the smell of Brut. What about English Leather? My boyfriend from high school always wore that -- smelled pretty nice!! Maybe I should get some for my husband?????

My daddy always wore Old Spice and whenever I smell it I think of him.

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

North Clark County Farmgirls and
Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  4:36:22 PM  Show Profile
My grandpa ("pappy") was Old Spice and my dad was English Leather. Funny how you associate smells with people. When my husband and I first started dating he wore the most awful stuff..I had to gently get him to tone it down (I think he bathed in the stuff) and then switch to something I liked better. He hardly wears cologne now and I guess I like that best. But I do think about that Life Buoy. Do they still make it? I remember the bar being reddish!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  5:04:17 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, You can order Life Buoy from Vermont Country Catalog. Now you and DH can go down memory lane!

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  6:25:54 PM  Show Profile
DH liked to wear British Sterling...Holy #@### that was strong. I made him toss it out. He also wore Aramis, which was alright. English Leather was nice. I bought him something called Copenhagen in the late 70's. It was REALLY nice! Can't get it anymore.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Baby Boomer Musings... Gen Xers, Milennials also! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page