Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Anyone sew all their clothes?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Anyone sew all their clothes? Next Topic  

ashcordes
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Ashley
Roann IN
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  6:05:31 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone sew all their clothes instead of buying them, or sew most of their clothes anyway, I feel that I need to start dressing more modestly, but clothes that are on the racks are not modest at all. thanks for any and all advice

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  6:20:13 PM  Show Profile
When I was in jr. high and high school(in the70s!!!) My grandma and my mom made my clothes and so did most of my friends and their moms. We didn't really have Wal Marts etc. so it was much cheaper to sew your own. Now fabric seems soooo expensive, it's really too bad times have changed like that! Good luck in your endevors! Check thrift stores for patterns and fabric! You may find just want you're looking for for not very much money!
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  6:33:33 PM  Show Profile
I used to sew all of my daughters clothing. I just recently stopped and had to purchase her clothes because I lacked the time to do it. I think I'm going to have to start again. It's hard to find modest clothing even for little girls. Started on clearing out and cleaning the old sewing room to get started again.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

ShawnMarie
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

ShawnMarie
Dauphin PA
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  7:00:24 PM  Show Profile  Send ShawnMarie an AOL message
In my "real" life I do not, but for my Ren Faire life I do. I cannot possibly afford to outfit myself without making my own chemises, skirts and bodices. Now if only I could wear that stuff every day. <sigh> I'd take a bodice over a bra any day. Such amazing back support.

I did sew my daughters clothes when she was young, but it was so much cheaper to buy them at yard sales and thrift shops that I quit. Plus with a toddler and a full time job, who has time.

I agree with UrbanChick about the modesty factor. Our solution was to shop in the boys department - now the men's dept. My daughter was never a "girly girl" so this works perfectly for us.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." - Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  7:06:31 PM  Show Profile
I don't, but I have taken the oath to not buy any new clothing for myself or my girls for the next year. I will have to either thrift, resew or make from scratch all that we wear....well except for panties, socks and bras. I used to make everything I wore years ago, but got out of the habit when working full time. Fabric is very, very expensive, but if you thrift the fabric in the form of yard goods or resew, then it is not too bad. Also shop the sales, clip coupons and check the markdowns on a regular basis. I have been stock piling fabric for a while now and have a pretty good supply at the moment. Used it all last year sewing the costumes for the third grade play.

Oh, and ShawnMarie...I'd love to see photos of your Ren Faire dresses, skirts and foundations!!!

Georgann

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  7:11:19 PM  Show Profile
I like to make my skirts and then find a nice top to go with them to get more inter changable wear out of them. Skirts sew up so nice and very quick. I just found a pattern that I ordered today for a summer nightgown that is the style that I have been looking for a long time. The name of the pattern is Sweet Dreams Serger Nightgown by Peggy Dee Designs. I don't have a serger but I'm sure you can do an old fashion finished or french seams just the same. It's such a pretty nightgown and I couldn't resist.

Tina

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  8:48:31 PM  Show Profile
Ashley, when you say you are looking for something more modest, how would you define that for yourself? Maybe I or others can suggest some retailers for you if we know what your guidelines are. :-)

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Now Open!: http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  8:55:21 PM  Show Profile
here are a few websites that offer patterns/clothes:(hope this helps)

http://www.hannahlise.com/womens-dresses.aspx

http://www.paisleypincushion.biz/welcome.html

http://www.homesteadspecialties.com/

http://www.commonsensepatterns.com/

http://www.candleonthehill.net/store/catalog.php?category=10

http://www.modestapparelchristianclothinglydiaofpurpledressescustomsewing.com/

http://www.liliesapparel.com/

http://www.quickstitches.com/home1.html

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  11:22:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ashley,
I agree about the modesty factor of most purchased clothing, and as you say, even for little girls! Manufacturers seem to want them to dress like they are 18 at 8 years old - it is quite scary.
I think Tina covered just about every site I have seen, except maybe this one:

http://www.modesthandmaidens.com/index.html

If you do a search on ebay for modest pattern, you can normally turn up quite a few. I've bought some from US ebay before.
I try to make all my own clothes if I can, but my girls (aged 11 and 9) aren't as keen. I've made them a few dresses, but they always want them shorter than I like!!
I've been doing really well with fabric. I actually use quilting fabric, as it is 100% cotton and feels and drapes really well. Every three months or so, the fabric shop here sells them for $3.50 a metre which is half the price of the other fabrics anyway.
I want to try Candle on the Hill patterns, but they are closed until May, so I have to wait until then to purchase some.
Good luck with it and we would love to see some of your creations!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4205 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4205 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  04:25:31 AM  Show Profile
I used to make most all our clothes, when my boys were young. Even our underware. I still make or my mom makes my underware. But then as my boys grew, and thrift stores appeared, and walmart, it got cheaper to buy the clothes. I still do make things for myself. But like mentioned before, the price of material is high, as compared to what we used to get it for. Like everything else I guess. But the quality of homemade clothing is much better. Even made my wedding dress and attendants dresses back in the day. Michele
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  06:01:24 AM  Show Profile
I make a huge amount of our clothes, not all, but a lot. I buy my patterns when they are cheap, most Joanns and Hobby Lobby's have a sale regularly where all patterns are $1-$2, and the bargain fabric sections seem to always have some great fabrics For a couple dollars a yard also. I never buy fabric for more than $3/yrd. Unless ofcourse it is a special fabric like velvet or pul or a very specific curtain fabric. I just keep my eyes open and try to plan ahead. I have found several patterns that I like and then I just make multiples of that pattern..pants, skirt, suits for my boys, dresses for my girls, and some rompers and overalls for toddlers. I haven't step foot in a Hobby Lobby for 2 yrs this May because I think their customer service is terribly lacking, but They used to have GREAT sale racks of $1 and $2 fabrics. Once I happened to go on a clear out day and bought 250 yards of asst. fabrics for about $60. That was a great find and it has carried me for a couple of years. Simplicity and Mc Calls have several easy and fast patterns that can be made quickly and you can lay out a stack of fabrics an cut out 3 or 4 at a time. And then you will always get the comments..."wherever do you find the time to sew for yourself?" Little do they know it really is not that time consuming and is a great way to entertain yourself. Good luck on building your own closet. Jess
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  07:27:08 AM  Show Profile
Tina,

What are "capes" on the dresses?

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  07:34:47 AM  Show Profile
I wear a lot of clothes that I make myself or that I have purchased or traded from other women who make clothes. I very rarely buy new save for the t shirts I like to wear from target (I have givenup old navy....It makes me sad, but their business model isn't exactly fair to the workers who make thier clothes) and under things. I like to shop at thrift stores for clothes too, but then again, only for certain items.

I make a lot of the girls clothes too. I have not attempted anything for Rob except the shirt I am making for our anniversary and a couple of ritual robes. that's about it....OH! and his Zorro costume at Samhain.

I enjoy making what we wear. There is a certain pride in it and we all seem to take a little better care of our clothing if I have made it.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://tasharose365.wordpress.com/
Homepage:
http://gaiasrose.etsy.com
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page

Linda
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Linda
Swanton MD
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  07:58:08 AM  Show Profile
Back in the 70s I used to make all of my own clothes and then working full time I found it hard to do. But I have come back around to doing it again mostly because I can make what I want. I don't like to shop for clothes, and can never find what I want. Making your own gives you the freedom to do what you want in the fabrics that you like and in the style that best suits you. Joann Fabrics have great sales and with their 40% off coupons, you can get great fabric for great prices. I also shop online for fabric and have found great deals there. I work outside alot in our woods and so need durable clothes that are also warm. I love fleece lined denim. And my husband loves anything that I make for him - usually fleece lined denim shirts. Patterns are also cheap at Joann's - I never pay more than $2 and I also find many on line.

Sewing our own clothes also helps me stay within the frugal limits that I prefer our lives to be in - along with other self sufficiencies.

I have read recently that young girls are getting interested in making their own clothes which I think is great! I think it will teach them many good things and they will learn a new sense of accomplishment and creativity - working with their hands is a good thing.
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  10:20:48 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca, I don't know what the "capes" are on the dresses.
I didn't pay attention..sorry.. I just did a search for "modest clothing patterns" to help out here. :0)

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  11:25:56 AM  Show Profile
Thirty years ago I made my own wedding gown and my four bridesmaids and flower girls gowns. I do not buy new clothes...ever. I thrift it a lot and sew skirts and things like that. I have a pattern here for some easy-breezy summer dresses that I am going to make. Material isn't as cheap as it used to be. I'm always on the lookout for sales! Good luck! Mommom
Go to Top of Page

ShawnMarie
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

ShawnMarie
Dauphin PA
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  3:39:19 PM  Show Profile  Send ShawnMarie an AOL message
I'd love to be able to share pictures with Aunt George and everyone else of my Ren Faire clothes, but I don't have any! I worked the Faire so the only pictures taken of me were by patrons. One of them did have me on his family website, so if I can find that link again I'll send it. But it was two years ago so I doubt he still has it up.

I'm also going to be making my wedding dress here shortly, just a garden party dress in linen. I will have pictures of that.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." - Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  7:03:42 PM  Show Profile
I have sewen almost all my clothes since I was in college. 30+ yrs ago. Everyone in my family sewed. My Grandma was the best seamstress!! It was more about economics back then. Now it can still be cheaper to sew. You just have to watch for good fabric/pattern sales. I have sewed just about everything from my wedding dress on down. Mostly It's just everyday casual clothes. Since I'm short it's just easier to sew it my size than to try and find it my size. I also sewed all my 4 sons clothes until they started to get old enough to be embarrassed by Mom's stuff. Then we shopped sales. They still liked for me to sew they just didn't want their friends to know. So then I sewed P.J. bottoms flannel pillow cases and cartoon boxers and fleece blankets. They are grown now,but I still get requests. And Now there are grand kids to sew for and that's even more fun! I also sew stuff for the house, curtains pillows etc. I think I'll always sew. It's my favorite hobby.

Too blessed to be stressed!
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  11:21:43 PM  Show Profile
Here's a hint for finding cheaper fabric - check out your nearest city and see if they have a garment district or a part of town where the fabric is sold on the docks to the designers and clothing folks. We have a place here in Dallas in the industrial part of town and their fabric selection is awesome.

They don't usually have patterns, but may have sewing machine repair (these kinds of places are always located close to each other)... I save up and then go in and spend a lot of time looking around before I decide which fabric to get. There's always something there that is unusual and priced great.

If you need fabric for interior design, these are the places to go. The fabric is usually priced at about 1/3 of what it is being sold in the mainstream fabric stores.

When we move, I'll save up and make trips to Dallas every so often just to visit these places.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Edited by - Bluewrenn on Apr 17 2007 11:24:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  01:35:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi Rebecca,
The cape on the dresses is like a shawl type attachment, generally made of the same fabric. You know like the Amish have on their dresses. I think they use them for modesty when breastfeeding?
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  12:40:40 PM  Show Profile
I love to sew. I wish I had more time to just sit and sew. Homeschooling demands quite a few hours of the day as well as housework. Sewing is so relaxing. When my daughter was little and up to 8 or 10 years old, I made all her dresses, jumpers, flannel pants, bonnets. About age 10 I made her a whole summer wardrobe, and that was it. She changed into shorts and jeans, which are easier to buy, especially at thrift stores. Now she is old enough to sew herself, and we make skirts and easy tops, quilts and purses and totes. It is so much fun.

I am trying to fit in more sewing for myself. I think a model/dummy is the next step to make it easier. I am fortunate that my husband is working on a studio space for me in the garage. Maybe it will be completed by the fall. I have plans to teach a beginner sewing class for homeschooling moms (or the one dad) and the child(ren).

I think it is wonderful to do like Aunt George and make things from thrifted clothes. This is very popular with the teens right now.

Although there are definte ways to sew and save doing it, sometimes it is worth finding the perfect fabric at the quilt store for a special dress or skirt. I tell the girls at school in my daughter's Fashion Creation class that sewing can be cheaper, but it is truly a way to express your style and personal preferences. I enjoy checking out their window display when the class completes a project. There is hope when a school institutes a sewing class due to requests fro mthe students!

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  6:43:53 PM  Show Profile
ShawnMarie,
Can't wait to see your wedding dress!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  2:02:24 PM  Show Profile
Just wanted to recommend a skirt book I bought recently. It's called "Sew What! Skirts" and is great. The author tells you how to draft about eight skirt patterns to fit your measurements, then how to sew 16 different skirts from those patterns. From the basic drafting, you can do what ever you want. Because you can make it from specific measurements, the patterns can fit anyone from girls to adult women and all sizes! The author's goal was to make patterns with a minimum of seams, ease of sewing and short of time (less than 2 hours). I've got an A-Line done, ready to hem now- my first one.

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Anyone sew all their clothes? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page