GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  2:21:40 PM  Show Profile
is regarding the whole Don Imus fiasco.

Let me just say this: I am glad he was fired, what he said was heinous, misogynistic and terribly bigotted. There is no excuse.

that said, there is also no excuse for Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton to say the things they said about the WHITE Duke U laCrosse players that were recently found not guilty of raping that black stripper. Why is no one getting up their back sides about it? Why is it only because something was said about a black person?

Just the other day, Oprah made a terribly racist remark on her show, the very same show that she made first mention about the Don Imus mess. On the show today, her panel is all balck people...I am starting to think that she is just as racist as the people she is speaking out about...the same with Al Sharpton and jesse Jackson...

She asks is there a doubel standard, YES!!!! A RESOUNDING YESSSSSSS!

Why can non whites be racist towards whites and it seems okay? it is tolerated. WHY!?

Now just so you know, I am racially and ethnically mixed. My father's mother was Iroquoi. "MY PEOPLE" have been grievously treated by the government for hundreds of years, but I still dont think that it gives me the right to attack people of solely western european decent.

I am tired of everyone being jerks to everyone else. I honestly do not look at people and think, oh there's a black guy, or a chinese woman, or whathaveyou. I see people as people and why the heck can't we all do that?

I am so upset by this whole mess. You would think we would be past this by now in this day and age.

Thats why I wrote the letter I wrote to BHM. A letter that was totally misread, IMHO, and inaccurately responded to.

I am not asking for political correctness, because that is just band-aiding a broken arm. I am asking for honesty and truly seeing people as people and as nothing else, and hold those, ALLLLLL OF THEM, accountable who do otherwise, be it Don Imus or the REVEREND Al Sharpton.

Rant over. Your thoughts?

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://tasharose365.wordpress.com/
Homepage:
http://gaiasrose.etsy.com
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH

EmmJay
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Mary Jane
Amherst Nova Scotia
Canada
352 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  3:47:38 PM  Show Profile
Red, and yellow, black, and white......we are children in HIS sight.
Jesus loves us all, so my opinion is we should love each other.
MJ

"Thank GOD I'm a country girl"
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/EmmJay07/
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  4:28:40 PM  Show Profile
I'm right there with ya, Tasha. Unfortunately we still have a very evident dividing line. And it is not from lack of trying to erase it, but because people will just not let it go. As long as there are those who choose to incite instead of inspire, it will never change.

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  5:37:21 PM  Show Profile
I am going to disagree!

First, I think what he said was wrong!

BUT.....I have listened to some rap music that primarily comes from the black community and it has FAR WORSE stuff in it and no one seems to care about that.

Not only does it seem okay for non-whites to be racist againt whites but it also seems okay for blacks to say racist and demeaning remark against other blacks and no one has a problem with that.

I don't listen to Imus and would have NEVER heard the remark if it hadn't been replayed over and over and quoted word for word by people such as Al Sharpton and Jesse JAckson. If it is a terrible as they act then why was it repeated over and over!!!

I come from a racially mixed family as well and am also tired of people being Jerks to one another. I wish we could get a long and as much as I try not to see people as a race or a religion most of the world (especially here in the South) doesn't see things the way I do.

I will end this with probably another controversial remark ....

Food for thought - If someone such as Al Sharpton got on his radio show and said something about blond headed hussies or called white people crackers would he be fired? Would anyone even bat an eyelash?

Okay girls! I said my peace! Fire away! I have a feeling I am in for it but please remember that I LOVE ALL OF YOU!!!!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  5:51:40 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
All I can say it that it is a crazy world and things don't always make sense. Some day we will all see that are spirits don't have colors and we are all the same. Till then be true in your beliefs that in time hopeful before our children are grown the world will be the melting pot the USa was supposed to be and isn't. I purpose wrote the USA that way. Also I am Italian and Portuguese with a Japanese step mother. Mixture is the spice of life. Too many countries have been concured (sp) by to many other countries to ever have a truly anything race other than a Heinz 57. We are already one race and people just don't see it.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com
my web stores www.sunshines.etsy.com and http://vintagethreads.etsy.com

Edited by - sunshine on Apr 16 2007 5:56:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  5:53:44 PM  Show Profile
I am with you guys on this one. Think about how those Duke players had the NAACP at their college just because a black woman claimed she was raped by them. No evidence, nothing to substantiate her claims. They were guilty simply because they were rich white boys. There were guilty signs posted all over and the NAACP was there to show them that they would not back down. Yet, if the crime were to happen to a white woman, there would not be a white mob showing up at the college demanding justice. And, if there was, it would be racially inappropriate? A crime is a crime, regardless of the race. For the record, this is the second time Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson have ruined the lives of white men by standing behind a black woman who accused them of rape. Remember Tawana Brawley? Nothing happened to her either.

Until people stop playing the race card, this is going to continue. I used to teach at an all black school and one time the NAACP attacked me because they said, what can a white woman know about their circumstances? I said, "Look, I am here to educate these children. If you would do the same, and have rallies to show them education is important, you would not need me. How about giving them a good role model instead of telling them that I am holding them back because I am a white woman?" I offered to have the leaders of the NAACP come in and teach with me, but no takers.

My family is racially mixed and we don't allow the race card to rear its head here. We are all humans. We need to be accountable and responsible for ourselves. No one holds us down!

As women haven't we also suffered from oppression? I don't blame all men for that either.

WOW! I am officially ranting!

Sheryl
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  7:53:38 PM  Show Profile
It's very sad. I live in a small community, like maybe 4000 people. There's not many black people, but a few. As far as I can see their accepted. I know there are those few rotten eggs that simply don't like them because their skin is the wrong color. We have a few hispanic people, but everyone I know has lived here for years. They came years ago to work here. My uncle was married to a black woman and they had a child, he's just as much a part of our family as any one else but I will say I had an aunt who thought it was awful, it's ignorance in my opinion. Pure and simple. There was a young boy from here who raped and killed a woman in Louisville, KY the other night. He's been arrested. I heard some people that really didn't seem effected by it because she was a dancer. I don't care what she was, Lord help her poor family. She didn't deserve to be treated the way he done her. My son in law had to search his house, they said he killed her before he raped her. He used to flirt with my daughter, I thank God He protected her from him. I know this is off subject, but when I was doing jail ministry, I prayed with, and had bible studies with all kinds. But I can honestly say, I never felt any different toward a drunk driver or the 18 year old murderer that was in there. He stabbed to death his 13 year old neighbor. She was stabbed 17 times. He plead guilty and asked me to pray with him many times. After about a year I was subpeaned to go to court and testify. I was honest and told them I was sorry for what he was going to have go thru the rest of his life, but I'm sorrier for her family. Thats what I said, among some other things. There was a book written about the murder and I was misquoted several times in that book. I later met the girls mother and she asked me if he ever said why he killed her. I said he told me, "he heard voices, and as he was killing her he tried to tell her to run but the voices in his head was so loud he didnt know if he was actually speaking to her or not", and the cause of the murder, he told me he had been reading his bible and praying, and told me he thought he'd been demon possessed and asked me if I believed that could happen. I said according to the Bible, yes, and I believe you would have to be to do what you did. He later accepted Christ as his personal saviour, was baptized in a horse trough in the jail, and requested the death penalty when we were in court. They refused, he received 60 years. That was a very hard time in my life, very emotional. I had people who was good friends that thought I was horrible for even speaking to him. But I was there to do what God sent me to do, I didn't ask what they were there for. That part didn't matter. So, black or white or red or yellow, or choosing to minister to a drunkard or thief and leave the murderer out, that's prejudice too. I'm glad that God closed my eyes to that. In myself, I don't know if I could have felt compassion for this young man. Geeshhhh, I hope you all don't fire me, I was quite windy. Just give me probation, lol.
~~Blessings, Mikki

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
http://strawberriesnapronstrings.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Mikki on Apr 16 2007 7:55:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  05:34:25 AM  Show Profile
We live in very sad times... There is so much going on, in this country in particular, that I just don't know what to think many times. Our governement, religious leaders, CEOs of companies...it's all messed up. I do find it odd that this Imus situation is being so played out while the story about Rove's missing emails seems to be going under the radar on the news. http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=3037893&page=1

It's easy to feel helpless, and many times I do, but I just keep hoping that things will change...that people will wake up and take a stand against the nonsense that goes on in our society and our government. Many times it appears the opposite is happening, that people just don't care and that I'm in the minority to want to see change, but I still try to have hope.

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  05:58:31 AM  Show Profile
We are all of one race, the human race. Many beautiful variations among the whole group. Even if we were of all one skin color and ethnicity, people would still form subcategories and exclude others from them. It's not the ignorant people who turn my stomach, it's the wealthy & educated crowd. The ones in power and in leadership positions who use it to manipulate and gain power just make me sick. Pray for our country.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  07:00:15 AM  Show Profile
Julie and Sheryl-lyn, I agree with both of you totally. I remember the Tawana Brawley case and it was all a lie, and nothing happened to the instigators...the same with the Duke University students...nothing will happen to the woman who falsely accused them. However, the students will have that scar for life, even though they were acquitted. People like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson and many like them have an agenda and want to keep it going. They don't want understanding and unity between the races, they want to keep the divide and play out the race card to their advantage. It truly is a double standard and it's very unfair! Unfortunately, with that continuing, nothing will ever be resolved.
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  07:29:16 AM  Show Profile
Liz brings up a good point in that whenever something big deal is happening within our government there always seems to be a hot button emotional issue to fuel the masses away from thinking and talking about the government corruption. be it a racism issue, or abortion or gay marriage or whatever....any of those emotional issues tend to stray us aay from the REAL issues like rove or too much money being wasted on an illegal war (oops, did I say that?) etc...

Thanks for bringing it up Liz!

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://tasharose365.wordpress.com/
Homepage:
http://gaiasrose.etsy.com
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  07:47:30 AM  Show Profile
Welp, whenever I see something SOOOOOO controversial, I have learned to step back and look at a bigger picture, and I' must say, USUALLY it will boil down to 'Follow the Money'. It doesn't matter if it's the Duke players or Imus (which I've never heard his show) or global warming or....et al.

From my cowgirl POV (point of view), if the race card isn't kept alive and well (and doofus's who will follow anything without thnking) then people will stay divided and the Rev's will win big. If everyone were to naturally get along, some pretty big businesses would tank and fortunes lost. It behooves people to keep it going.

I grew up in southern AZ, mostly on indian res's and never heard of race anything until I moved to Texas in my teens. I still don't get it either. I truly don't see color but character.

If people didn't have an agenda, they would have known almost from the beginnning that the Duke case was a fraud. I am all for women's rights and came out of an extremely abusive marriage but could still see the stripper was lying thru her teeth. But the DA had to win to keep his pension and didn't think anyone would speak up. He's done it before, I'm sure. That last statement was my opinion only, not fact.

Imus apparentally had been saying things for years and as long as no one noticed and he brought in oodles of cash, all was well. Then someone played 3 words and the world noticed and the jig was up. Personally, I thought he should have served his suspension and called it a day. Now he will prob go to sattelite (sp?) radio and make MORE money. We should have freedom of speech for ALL and not pick and choose. First Ammendment stuff. Either it IS or it ISN'T.

As for Oprah, I think she is very bad for young women. I have noticed that all she talks about is how 'she' can be her very best and what's best for her. That's fine to a degree but there are other people in the world too. Honestly, she sounds shallow to me but couches it so that it sounds like she's a true nuturer. Something is off about her, to me. My opinion only again.

Well, there's MY rant for today!!

Winona :-)

Don't sweat the small stuff...

http://goneridingagain.bravehost.com

Edited by - goneriding on Apr 17 2007 07:56:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  08:38:32 AM  Show Profile
Oprah had a woman on a few years back, because she had 10 kids and was still pretty and healthy and her life looked perfect. Of course I watched the show to see how she done it. Basically it showed her taking time each day away from her children, no matter what, to work out and meditate on herself. I didn't get much out of it.
Well last year a Christian Magazine came out and it had a big article about the same family. I was shocked she was in there. The story they told was completely different than Oprah's. It talked about the whole family praying every morning and how she couldn't do it with out God's help. And all the special things she did to show each child how special they were. They took turns celebrating each child for a day. Things like that. I had a whole new view of her.
MMmmmm who to believe?

http://love-in-a-mist-shannon.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  08:48:20 AM  Show Profile
I think I saw that one too... I think that gal had some pretty big bucks too! We all could have pretty amazing lives if money wasn't an option....gym memberships, nannies , house cleaner etc!!!!!!Your right! Who to believe!
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  12:00:36 AM  Show Profile
I just have to say I am tired of the whole Imus thing. I dont at all agree with what he had to say but, I also think the media is getting way out of hand with it. I would imagine that the girls of that basketball team did not even hear that comment from the radio. They probably were told about it later. But what got me was when that one girl said she would be scarred for life. OK whatever! Im sure that isnt the first or last time she was called a name, and if she is scarred for life over that I dont know how she will ever make it in life. I am not trying to seem cold hearted in the least. But my thinking is, if Imus got fired over that comment, then we need to take alot of the rap music off the radio, movies off the tv, etc. Because compared to some of the music and movies out there, what Imus said would not even compare to them.

I lived in Memphis for 2 and a half years, I never in my life knew of more prejudice people tha I did living there. And it wasn't the white people, it was the blacks. I had never seen anything like that before. Now I do not at all consider myself to be prejudice, i have friends of all races, but when people like Al Sharpton speak out in their uneducated way, I can see why people think towards blacks the way they do. He tries to speak for a race of people which isnt fair, when he is only trying to promote himself not the black community as a whole.
I agree with you Tasha, I see people for being people, not color. I just wish it was that way for everyone. Including the races that think the are being racially profiled all of the time. UGH! I get so tired of that. Blacks can say whatever they want about whites, but if a white says something about a black this is the kind of thing we get. Anyway, there is my rant.

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  07:47:31 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
I agree with so much that is being said here. I am racially mixed as well and have learned the hard way that there are many reasons for prejudice. Some times we as a race bring it upon ourselves by the way the "squeaky wheels" in our culture act, sometimes it is brought on by fear or ignorance, and other times it fueled by those who want or need it to exist to aid in their cause whatever that may be, and often it is a smoke screen as an excuse for poor or lacking behavior. But no matter what causes it, there are always those who hear "fight" and must rush to watch, those that hear it and walk away as if it doesn't exist, and those that break it up sometimes at a personal cost. I want to be the later.
I have found through the years that when you focus on negativity, you breed it. When you focus on differences you cause divide, and when you focus on race, you see color. But when you focus on souls, you become colored blind. When you focus on positive, you multiply it. And when you focus on similarities, you form bonds and common ground, just as we have done here by joining as farmgirls at heart. It saddens me and angers me at times! But if I rise above it, and if others one person at a time can soar above this mess, then though we alone may not be able to move mountains or change an age old plague, together we become a strong voice for unity and care, compassion and empathy. Where the only colors we see are in the earth and sky, puddles and seas, desserts and rainforests, caverns and mountaintops and a soul becomes a choice that is visible. For the reality of a person is not the color of their skin, the money in their pockets, nor the level or type of education they have received. Instead they are a culmination of the choices they have made good or bad, pure or evil. And until we grasp this, we choose to be duped and mislead through our lives by untruths that will only cause misery to our planet.

Now I am off to custom make cute and beautiful soapboxes for us farmgals to stand on while we tell the world how it really is!

Remember we may not be able to change the world, or make a vast change, but where we are and those we are around, in those places and to those individuals, we make a difference everyday!

Hugz to All!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  07:47:53 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
"The bottom line was, white people own everything, and where can a black person go and be himself or say something that's familiar to him and not have to explain or apologize?" he told Esquire magazine. "From a Dave Chappelle interview"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070418/ap_en_ce/people_chappelle

I feel offended but what am I to do? It just goes to show how far we haven't come in this country.
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  08:30:35 AM  Show Profile
You know, I'm truly tired of hearing how we must be a diverse (meaning ideas, not necessarily race) country and that it makes us stronger. Not so. A house divided against itself will not stand. America will not stand if we don't knock off this silly race card cr*p and other things.

Personally (I am venting here), when someone, as one or a collective, hits me over the head with what they believe or want, I dig my heels in and then dig in harder. The whining and complaining only ticks me off worse but then again, maybe the whiners and complainers WANT us to dig in so they CAN whine and complain more. Food for thought, eh?? If they got what they wanted, what would they do then?? Find something else to moan about. "Follow the Money"...

I don't feel guilty for anything that has happened in the past unless I personally did it.

Whew!!

Winona :-)

Don't sweat the small stuff...

http://goneridingagain.bravehost.com

Edited by - goneriding on Apr 18 2007 08:33:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  09:27:20 AM  Show Profile
I've heard it said that our lives here on earth are training ground for the lives we will have in eternity. So I find it interesting that God created us with different coloring . . . perhaps it is so we can learn to get along and embrace the differences and hopefully by the time we get to the other side we will be free to focus on praising God and living a life of peace . . . because we will have learned enough to know that race doesn't matter. We supposedly all get new bodies in heaven anyway . . . we could be pink with purple polka-dots for all we know! It is just so silly that a skin color causes so much division!

With love and blessings to all colors,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  1:07:30 PM  Show Profile
Ya know, Brenda, I like what you wrote. It's easy to forget that in today's world with all the turmoil (I'm feeling blue today...with all the horror at Virginia Tech and the bad storm and it's aftermath in my area...a real feeling of sadness). Everyone has a soul, and that's all that really matters (whether it be good or bad). That is what we should be looking at. Something to always remember. It's the core of the person's being that defines them, not the outer cover. I'm guilty of judging and coming to conclusions..it's a bad habit I have. What you said puts it in the proper perspective...in the end, that's all that matters. Thanks for the post.

Edited by - junkjunkie on Apr 18 2007 1:17:30 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Oprah today Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page