Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Another rose question... Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  12:44:33 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
We moved into military housing last month and I inherited 3 little rose bushes along our front walkway. 2 are VERY small and no buds but one has a beautiful yellow/pink rose flowering and is about 2 feet high. They are in need of some TLC, ie: pruning, probably some food, etc. but I know nothing about roses. Any quick ideas I could do to help these plants along? Some of the leave and branches are willowy and brown in color.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Heather

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  1:42:39 PM  Show Profile
you can stir in some banana peels into the dirt around the roses..that helps them.
Don't water them on the leaves..it promotes black spot if you do..water them at the base.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  4:19:41 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I've always put my coffee grounds around my roses; they love it and it helps work up the soil around them. DH's granddad also taught me to use crushed egg shells, but that can get a little messy. I usually dump the grinds daily, or sae them into a container and feed the roses onces a week or so. Grounds will keep in the frige in an empty coffee container or up to a week (before molding) unrefridgerated.

Good luck with your new rose bushes!

Jo

"There are no strangers here, only friends you've yet to meet."
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  4:21:30 PM  Show Profile
Tina ... BANANA peels? That's a new one on me...would love to try it. Do you chop up the peels and stir them into the dirt; how far down into the earth should they go? I love the recycling of these, along with my coffee grounds, which are good spreading around blueberry bushes and azaleas, too.

Jo

"There are no strangers here, only friends you've yet to meet."
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  8:37:02 PM  Show Profile
I never chopped them up, just dug down enough to bury them next to the rose bush, as they decompose it adds potassium to the soil.Lay them with the inside of the peel facing down. I was told to do this by an "old timer".

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  06:38:26 AM  Show Profile
I think the banana peel thing works really well, I do that. My sisters mother in law told me to do that 2 years a go and it has been great. Give all the kids bananas and them tell them to leve the peels under the roses as a treat for them. I usually go out and turn th e soli a bit and make sure they are placed correctly, but the roses semm to respond very nicely. try it out...your roses may love it.
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  06:56:48 AM  Show Profile
Banana peels are a great source of potassium, that is why the roses love it. Egg shells are also very good - my grandmother use to swear by them. I prune my roses around President's Day weekend. In the late fall/early winter I put a small amount of steer manure/compost at the base of each of my roses, then when I pruned this spring I tilled the compost around the base to loosen the soil. They like lots of water in the summer.

Anne in Portland (City of Roses)

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Another rose question... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page