Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Coffee, Tea, or your fav non-alcoholic beverages
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Coffee, Tea, or your fav non-alcoholic beverages Next Topic
Page: of 3

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2005 :  10:58:18 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls. My coffee Toastmaster coffee maker pot recently cracked and I've decided not to get a new one. Sometime earlier this year I purchased a French Coffee Maker to use with soy coffee, which it recommended for best flavor. I've since rethought soy coffee, but I still have my French Coffee Maker. I'm using this as an alternative, and find that the coffee is so much less bitter brewed this way that I can forego alot of creamer or stevia... which is healthier all around. Any of you tried this method? The only downside I find is that I miss the smell of the drip coffee in the morning because this method does not do that.
(In case some of you don't know about this method - which I didn't either until recently - the French Coffee Maker is a pyrex carafe that you pour your amount of coffee into the bottom of, pour boiling water over it and let is steep for the desired amount of time. After steeping you push down on the press portion of the lid and this keeps all of the grounds at the bottom of the carafe, so you can pour a perfect cup of coffee! It reminds me very much of the stove top perculator coffee that mom used to make when I was a kid.)

Other than my morning cup of coffee, I enjoy herbal teas and blends, either warm or iced. Nothing like peppermint sun tea! I also drink lots of water (or try to). I've cut out soda pop a long time ago, and am glad I did after all the health warnings that are coming out now.

What are your fav beverages and methods of preparation? Love to get some new ideas!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2005 :  12:14:42 PM  Show Profile
Fresh made lemonade or limeade top my list with orange juice/seltzer coming in a close second (a mimosa without the alcohol). We drink alot of 4C decaf tea mix I have to admit but I can't keep up with the drink consumption around here in the summer so that is one of the staples as well as water!Sun tea is gone as fast as I make it everyday (Cinnamon =Rose)good with cranberry juice too and I do make Hazelnut decaf iced coffee on occasion.Alot of fruit smoothies too! Coca cola has been a vice of mine since college and I have to break the habit!Luckily I don't buy it for the house so it's not an ongoing option here for any of the kids traipsing through!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2005 :  12:18:42 PM  Show Profile
P.S. My husband is the coffee drinker Clare and he swears by his French press, he even takes it camping with him and people ask him to bring it! It must be doing something right!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2005 :  3:08:23 PM  Show Profile
I drink way too much Diet Coke (caffeine-free or with Lime), but I'm trying to drink less and have a lot more fruit smoothies (blueberry is the best!) and drink more water. Sodas definitely are addicting, though. My husband's ONLY vice in life is Coca-cola (so he's doing pretty good...)

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2005 :  4:25:42 PM  Show Profile
I don't like to drink soda (pop, or carbonated soft drink) so I stick to tea cold or hot, sometimes coffee, I drink little fruit juice, preferring to eat the fruit so I get the fiber along with the vitamins. I recently cut out soy milk because of the controversy about estrogens in it, and how it affects women after menopause. I recently tried some nut milk which is very good, except for the sugar content. I figure, since I'm cutting out sugary snacks, maybe the nut milk will be OK. For summer, I like just filtered water (i.e. not just from the tap), with a slice of lime, lemon or orange, and lots of ice cubes.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

countrykat
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

kathy
paola kansas
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2005 :  11:45:57 PM  Show Profile
No coffee drinkers in my house. I had a roommate once who told me I would have been the "perfect" roommate if only I had drank coffee. Oh well.

I prefer water. I try to drink two glasses of milk a day (still breastfeeding) and get additional calcium from yogurts and cheeses.

I'll drink soda or lemonade occasionally. But I prefer water.
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Young
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Cindy
Allendale MI
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  05:39:08 AM  Show Profile
My new summer favorite is cucumber water. To a pitcher of water add a few thin slices of cucumber and ice. Had it at a friends barbecue a few weeks ago, and it was the hit of the party.
Cheers!
Cindy

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." 2Timothy 4:7
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  08:30:16 AM  Show Profile
Cucumber water, now that sounds refreshing!!! How long does it need to steep, so to speak? How flavored does it become? I just might try this!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  09:52:49 AM  Show Profile
Cucumber water sounds wonderful, and healthy too. I have used cold cucumber slices over my eyes to soothe and reduce puffiness. I enjoy sun tea over lots of ice with a little lemon. Fresh old fashioned lemonade sweetened with splenda, and iced coffee. I have heard of something called Fizzy Lizzy that sounds great. Carbonated fruit juices sound delightful in this hot weather. I also like Nantucket Nectars as a special treat.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Young
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Cindy
Allendale MI
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  09:56:47 AM  Show Profile
Hi Clare,
Cucumber water takes just moments before you can taste the cukes. I have let it sit in my cup all day, just adding more water as needed. By the end of the day, the cukes are floppy, so I just start over the next day. It only takes maybe 6-7 thin slices to flavor the whole pitcher. Looks really pretty, too. I keep the peels on mine, as I get those long, English cucumbers, sealed in plastic. They are not treated with that nasty waxy stuff that the regular cukes are.
Cheers,
Cindy

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." 2Timothy 4:7
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  10:46:48 AM  Show Profile
Wow..cucumber water...that sounds so good! I will be giving that a try. I drink water more than anything..no coffee or regular tea. I love to try new herbal teas...and make sun tea with them sometimes too. I make regular old fashioned lemonade..with real sugar (gasp..I know!!) since I refuse to use artificial sweeteners at all...yuck. I don't like things very sweet at all so I never had been a soda drinker. My husband is addicted to Dr. Pepper. My kids never ever get soda or koolaid, they drink water, milk or 100% juice or as a really special treat..lemonade.
I think I will go get out a cucumber right now...that just sounds too good!!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

atwell
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

susan
Laporte IN
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2005 :  2:04:12 PM  Show Profile  Send atwell a Yahoo! Message
Hello girls!!Has anyone made Horchata ???from scratch of course! I have had some at my local mexican restaurant but I think it was from a dry mix???I know i found dry mix online and some recipies for the scratch version but of course I wanted advice from my farmgirls!!!! much obliged!!oh yeah I have a recipie for a summer drink called "switchel" from my farmhouse cookbook...from Barney Smith who raises longhorn cattle,wheat and Morgan horses in Iowa..
1C sugar
7 T cider vinegar
1T grated fresh ginger or 1t ground ginger(dried)
1/4 C fresh squeezed lemon juice
8 C cold water be sure to shake or stir before serving as ginger will settle to bottom author of cookbook serves over ice!!!
I need to try it soon!!let me know if anyone has had or tries this recipie!!
susan

FatQuarterQuiltFarm
Long Arm Machine
Quilting ~and~
Fabric Flea Market
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2005 :  2:16:55 PM  Show Profile
This sounds great, Susan! I'm going to try it!

Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2005 :  6:05:43 PM  Show Profile
Lately I've been cutting out sodas almost completely! I'm so proud of myself...I've only been getting one 20 oz when I go shopping at Walmart to drink on the way home instead of keeping it here at home for me to drink way too much of. I've been getting herbal teas the past week (I've tried peach and strawberry so far) and making iced tea out of them. So much healthier than soda!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2005 :  6:59:44 PM  Show Profile
I made some wonderful herbal ice tea the last couple days..rasberry! I love it! I don't like mine sweetened at all and this is so good and fruity without being sweet. We (my mom and sister are visiting) are on our 4th pitcher..I must get more of that tea tomorrow!!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2005 :  7:37:33 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I'm addicted to chai spice tea by Stash. I have a hot cup every morning with milk in it (british style, of course!).

I must say that cucumber water sounds very refreshing!
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2005 :  8:03:01 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm...Jenny, raspberry sounds yummy! I was wondering what type I would try next , thanks for the recommendation!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2005 :  10:11:23 PM  Show Profile
Every morning I have coffee made in a French press served with milk....I love it!and have since my first trip to England in 1996. No more than 2 cups. That's my limit but it's SO good.

Other than that I drink lots of water, iced tea, herbal, green or regular, but usually a mix of at least 2 of those. I also like to add sliced ginger to my tea when I make hot tea. Sometimes I add lemon to my water during the day so I'll have to try the cucumbers. That sounds really good.

No sodas for me. I really am not much for sweet drinks at all. My favorite pick-me-up during the day is club soda with grapefruit juice. Most people shudder at the thought but I like it.

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  05:58:27 AM  Show Profile
I love (and always have on hand) organic cranberry juice. And lately I have been having a craving for orange juice.

We drink lots of filtered water with fresh lemon slices. Gingerale is our soft drink choice, and I am trying to leave that behind, but at lunch it tastes so good to have a carbonated drink....

I left cokes and coffee behind when I went through gall bladder surgery. But I still have a cold coffee drink called Cappucinno Mocha, put out by Starbucks, as a treat once in awhile.

My hubby drinks (and I am not exaggerating) about two gallons of water a day. It has cured his chronic headaches and prevented him from having another kidney stone. He loses so much fluid while working outside and he runs everyday. But he really replaces that fluid and I think it cleanes his whole body. I am constantly filtering and refilling water bottles, but I will gladly do that to keep him healthy!

jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

lurban
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Vermont
61 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  07:24:32 AM  Show Profile
Trying to shake the Cola monkey myself, but everytime my kids are up at night (often) I NEED NEED NEED it.

But my favorite treat -- when it is not so awfully hot as it is now -- is hot cocoa!
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  07:44:08 AM  Show Profile
I drink a lot of seltzer. I love the bubbles, but I know the sugar's bad. I also make lemonade syrup a lot, or iced teas. My favorite thing to make is hibiscus tea lemonade.
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  11:33:31 AM  Show Profile
I really enjoy earl Grey tea.. I have become pretty hooked on the stuff.. I even use it to make sun tea, add a lot of lemon and it tastes a lot like liptons brisk but with a lingering earl grey aftertaste.. nummy!

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive. James Stewart in the movie HARVEY
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  5:43:30 PM  Show Profile
I don't do coffee at all, but do drink pleanty of tea. Usually regular Lipton or Tetley with lemon only. I try to do mostly decaf, but sometimes I NEED the caf! I also do more sodas than I should, but am trying to cut back. I also drink lots of water "fresh from a mountain spring".
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Macleigh
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Tennessee
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  6:08:22 PM  Show Profile
Like y'all, I am a tea lover. With milk, of course. Earl Grey is my favorite, and PG Tips is a close second. A friend brings it over to me from England after her visits with her husband's family there -- what a treat! And of course, being from the South, I love sweet iced tea!

I'm not much of a Coke drinker. Those kinds of drinks were a luxury when I was a kid, so I've never developed the taste for them so much.

Coffee and cocoa are also treats, but they have to be part of a craving rather than a first choice.

Water, of course, is always a given. I try to drink close to a gallon each day. Sharon, we have a spring house in the country, and there's nothing like it. We refuse to brew our hot beverages with anything else!

Hope sustains the farmer. -- Old Proverb
Go to Top of Page

brandyde
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Brandy
Kansas
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  8:48:09 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE iced tea- plain, no frills or sweetners, just lots of ice. I drink it by the gallons. Once in a great great while I will have a diet coke as a treat. Milk makes me want to gag and coffee I love the smell but hate the taste. I have been trying to get into the flavored teas for something different but I just can't make myself like them. Just give me the plain Lipton tea! lol
Go to Top of Page

snowberryfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

132 Posts

Michelle
Central Wa WA
USA
132 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  9:51:43 PM  Show Profile
I recently was diagnosed with high blood sugar, so no more soda's, mocha's, chai tea from Starbucks, or any of that for me. I won't drink anything with aspartame in it, so most diet drinks are out too. And, I was told that juice is the worst, even pure fruit juice. I am really having a hard time with this, because I love all of those drinks, but if I continue, I will develop diabetes. So, I just started acquiring a taste for different herbal teas, green tea, etc. I would like to make sun tea, or iced tea, but I am not even sure how! I am impressed with the number of people here that do not add any sweetners to their tea! I will definately try the cucumber water! Does anyone have any other ideas for non sweetened drinks?

Thanks!
Michelle
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Coffee, Tea, or your fav non-alcoholic beverages Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page