lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  5:23:51 PM  Show Profile
Any body ever try this,,,if so how did it turn out???
I love to bake pies but don't always have time for crust, DH turns his nose up at even the thought of bought crust, I personally would rather have a pie with crust from Safeway than no pie at all, not him

http://bumpercrop.blogspot.com/
I was Country before Country was COOL

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  6:09:23 PM  Show Profile
I freeze pie crust often. This week I had to make 8 pies for my hubbies surprise birthday party so I made up a bunch of two crust pie crusts and double wrapped them in plastic wrap in one crust divisions flattened to about 1 inch thick then I put as many of these into a 1 gallon sized freezer baggie and put them in the freezer. To use them I took them out of the freezer in the morning and separated out the ones I was going to use to thaw on the counter for about an hour. When they were thawed but still quite cold I began the rolling out process and filled and baked them as many at a time as I had room to do. They turned out fine and I got rave reviews on the pies. Also people wondered how I did it and kept it a secret.I took 2 days to get them all baked and then I took them out to the trailer to refridgerate until the party. Got the kitchen all cleaned up and baked a chicken pot pie from scratch for dinner so he would not be suspicious. I have also frozen unbaked but filled apple and also berry pies. I just put them directly into the preheated 375 oven and bake for about 20 minutes more than normal or until they are boiling over and the fruit is cooked.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  7:26:15 PM  Show Profile
I don't, but I know alot of gals who do. I tend to bake alot of pies at once and use all the crusts I can make and then make a bunch more the next time. Most of the people I know who do it freeze the crust in "discs" and then when it thaws, roll it out thin. That sure would be nice..to have it ready like that!

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  10:21:01 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much gals , I will try it!!!!

http://bumpercrop.blogspot.com/
I was Country before Country was COOL
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  02:16:43 AM  Show Profile
Arlene,
I have gone as far as rolling out the crust and putting it in the pie plate or tart pan and then freeze. My recipe makes enough for a few pies and so I always freeze them this way.
I put a wax paper layer between each one, carefully stack and wrap them all up in a large plastic bag.

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  12:00:57 PM  Show Profile
That's what I do, so when I need them they are ready to fill and bake. I have also frozen filled pies, apple and strawberry/rhubarb when there is a surplus. It doesn't seem to hurt the finished product at all. Just make sure that you put wax paper between them and wrap very well. I then put them into a rubbermaid container(cake carrier) to help prevent freezer burn and /or picking up strange aromas from the freezer. So far so good! My husband can always tell if I sneak a store bought crust in, he says they are much saltier!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Gerta
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Nancy
Dawson Creek B.C
Canada
7 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  9:41:03 PM  Show Profile
I am somewhat a lazy cook I make to dough one day put in frig and roll it out and fill all my pie pans if I want a double crust I roll one out fold it in 1/4s and wrap it in wax paper and put in the pie shell wrap each in plastic wrap and freeze then when ever you want a pit its easy just take one out and fill it with your favorite filling.
Go to Top of Page

Gerta
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Nancy
Dawson Creek B.C
Canada
7 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  9:42:38 PM  Show Profile
I hope you read my last entry i don't know why my spelling or was it my typeing???? is so bad sory
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Ever freeze piecrust?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page