22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  8:08:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
For those of us who are unlucky enough to not yet have our homestead-

Do you have a dream state?

I currently live in Idaho, and it is gorgeous, but it is too far from my family! I hate having to waste a whole day of travel just to get home to Wyoming.

So I think my dream state to get my homestead in would be Wyoming so I would be closer to family, low crime rates, and few people. I love the wild and rugged beauty in Wyoming and I really love the fact that it is an under appreciated state. The crowds can stay away! :)

What about you ladies? Do you prefer one area over another?

Alee

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  8:10:43 PM  Show Profile
Mine are Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and kansas

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

"Go confidently in the directions of your dreams; live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler." - Henry David Thoreau

http://chevy49girl.livejournal.com/
http://midwestmusings-kim.blogspot.com/
http://chevy49girl.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  8:23:56 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
What a fun thread!!
Mine is Maine!! I LOVE being able to snow ski, hike, canoe, and go to the beach and sail and see whales and seals all within an hour or two driving! I love the seasons, the mix of old and new, quaint towns, antique shops and more! IF I can't find a good job and thus be able to afford a place in Maine, then I hope somewhere in New England. IF I can't go to New England then in MO. But my favorite is Maine!
Can't wait to hear everyone's dream spot!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  8:29:16 PM  Show Profile
I love Utah and hope like heck to never ever move again..but as far as dreams of VISITING other states I would love to see Vermont, Pennsylvania and Maine..as well as the southern states. I loved Minnesota when I lived there too..all but those hot buggy summers. No place is perfect, but I think where I am right now is the closest I have come for me.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  8:53:10 PM  Show Profile
Vermont! without a doubt. My other choice would be Maine, I love all new england.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  10:57:19 PM  Show Profile
Although I've never been there, I would love to own a nice little farm in North or South Carolina. I'm a desert rat that doesn't do well where it snows a lot, but I'm tired of the drought and yearn for a place where it rains. From everything I've read, the Carolinas (or at least portions) fit the bill!
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  02:36:35 AM  Show Profile
Honestly, if my kids weren't all here in CA, AND I had unlimited $$$$$$ I would move to Maui in a heartbeat! You could have an amazing little garden there and swim in that warm ocean everyday!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  03:20:23 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm...I will be reading this thread with great interest. My husband and I have discussed this very topic at depth lately. You see, we are planning on moving. We really don't care to where, just someplace where we can have our 20 acres and a mule. So I am going to read each and every comment with extreme interest.

I have been searching for over a year on the internet...and while I love the looks of the North Eastern seaboard, the prices are prohibitive. Land is for sale out in Idaho, and we are not opposed to the snow, as long as it isn't 200" per year.

We live in Virginia in a beautiful area, and it is pouring rain right now. The azaleas, dogwoods, redbuds and almost all of the trees are blooming right now. There are tulips and forsythia, daffodils and pear, it is an absolute visual paradise, but the crime rate is out the roof. Richmond is the fifth most dangerous place to live in the USA. It seems like there is at least a murder a day. As a homecare nurse I worked the inner city ALOT and have been right down into the worst and saddest parts of town. I've had my car jumped on by hoodlums, with me in it. I walked into a house with a crystal meth lab. I've seen the hookers and dealers on the corners. I've seen the naked children running around transient neighborhoods.) I've seen cockroaches so thick on the walls, that the walls seem to move. I've been met at the door by snarling pitbulls and cared for pitbull wounds on the legs of their owners....with the pitbull snarling and snapping behind weak folding doors.....yikes.

So please farmgirls, keep posting about your dreamfarms!!! I'm reading and looking too!!

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  05:20:30 AM  Show Profile
Mine are Montana and Wyoming. Always loved that "big sky country"!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

EmmJay
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Mary Jane
Amherst Nova Scotia
Canada
352 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  06:10:06 AM  Show Profile
Not to be mean about any of the states, but my favorite is Canada.....Nova Scotia!
The cost of living is much cheaper than anywhere in the US, and this province is known as Canada's Ocean Playground. There were 20 acres with house, garage, barn, and wood shed put up for sale just up the road...asking price is under $100,000. Canadian. We have the farm, we are about 1/2 hour from big city, and about 5 minutes from the ocean.
What is not to LOVE ?
MJ

"Thank GOD I'm a country girl"
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/EmmJay07/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  06:24:45 AM  Show Profile
Oh, EmmJay,
That sounds wonderful!!!! Do you have a long enough growing season for tomatoes?
G

Go to Top of Page

threebusybees
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Mandi
Myrtle Beach South Carolina
222 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  06:35:19 AM  Show Profile
My family were planning on moving to a 5 acre farm in Madison Georgia but it was sold to another family from Virginia. So things are up in the air right now. I would like to live somewhere with like minded people. Those that feel that organics are the way to heal our ecosystem and bodies. South Carolina is coming along, but seems to be fighting every step of the way. We don't even have recycling here in Myrtle Beach (that I've seen and no one seems to know of any facilities) So I would love to hear more about where you live and your dreams.
Mandi
Go to Top of Page

EmmJay
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Mary Jane
Amherst Nova Scotia
Canada
352 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  07:03:23 AM  Show Profile
Yes we do. As a matter of fact, I am planning on a garden this year. My goal and dream (told hubby) that we have a full self sufficient farm. We raised poultry and a cow last year for meat, and plan on the same this year, plus pigs for pork.....I am new to all of this, but have had small gardens in the past. Tomatoes were actually my best, with cucumbers.
MJ

"Thank GOD I'm a country girl"
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/EmmJay07/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  09:31:09 AM  Show Profile
Bonnie - I am with you on the "Big Sky Country" thing from Montana. I had never been out west until my hubby and I took a road trip out there just after our first anniversary. I LOVED it up there. Unfortunatly Hubby would NEVER go for it. Looks like Arkansas it is!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

momjolly
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Campbell
Cincinnati Ohio
12 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  1:06:57 PM  Show Profile
We're going to look in North Carolina. I have an aunt who lives in Lewisburg, W Va, so we're going to look around there also. Seems like the Smokie Mtns are drawing us. Our son is going to Warren Wilson College (Asheville, NC) in the fall, so why not check out the countryside!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  1:25:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow ladies!

It seems that we farm girls make a home for ourselves no matter where we are! I am so happy to hear that so many of you love the Idaho/Montana/Wyoming area- By the time that fiancé and I get our homestead (where ever that ends up to be!) I should have some great MaryJane Farmgirl neighbors!

I love the western states because of the low population density and beautiful scenery as I already mentioned, but I forgot to mention the people that already live there!

Growing up in Wyoming I never felt afraid of my neighbors. Riding my bike or driving around town was always a “friendly” activity as almost everyone you saw waves at you. Almost everyone in my hometown knew my family and I always knew that if I needed help with anything that I could find it with out having to search too far.

For example, my friend Michelle had grown up in the Atlanta area before her family moved to Wyoming. One day we were riding our bikes to the country to have a picnic. As we biked down the road, truck after truck passed us and sure enough, every driver waved at us. I of course waved back. Michelle finally asked me “Do you know all those people?!”

“No,” I replied “But around here you wave at the people you pass and they wave back. It’s just the way it is.”

Michelle just was blown away by that. She was so used to keeping her head down and not noticing the people around her (for her own safety) that she had a hard time understanding traditional western friendliness.

Anyway- I would hate to live in an area that does not foster that sense of community and trust. I would hate to raise my child in an area where she couldn’t feel safe.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  1:42:32 PM  Show Profile
Aunt George,
Look intot he free land in Kansas. I know it wouldn't 20 acres, but there may be areas where additional land could be purchased.

We may be moving to Austin Texas.

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

"Go confidently in the directions of your dreams; live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler." - Henry David Thoreau

http://chevy49girl.livejournal.com/
http://midwestmusings-kim.blogspot.com/
http://chevy49girl.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  3:47:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I've always lived in Kentucky, and, in spite of the lack of spring thus far, it's still my 'dream' state. Land seems to be fairly cheap here, as well as the cost of living in general being low. I spent time in Missouri a few years ago, and I really liked it a lot, too. It's probably in the same growing/planting zone as KY - saw a lot of the same things growing. And the people I met there were all so nice!

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  4:02:36 PM  Show Profile
I think if money were not a factor then it would be Hawaii. If we are talking about reality and retirement then I think Washington State. I have family in Bellingham and we always liked the area. I think I like the Anacortes area the best. If money were no object and I wanted to be closer to family then it would be Widby (sp?) Island.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  12:30:53 AM  Show Profile
My husband and I are very serious about moving. We have been discussing this at length and yesterday set a goal date of July 31 of this year to have our house ready to sell. I stripped wallpaper off of the walls all day yesterday. We set up a remodeling/fixup budget and we got started!! Today I have more wallpaper to strip and have to prep the kitchen/family room for ceiling paint...taping, draping etc.

My daughter and I went to open houses in our neighborhood and got an idea of what we need to do to get this place ready and the kitchen and baths are the big areas! I have read that all work done in these areas has big payoffs, and we are hoping for that!!

Now to find that smaller place with usuable acreage. I'm pulling up listings in all of the places mentioned by all ya'll farmgirls!! thanks!

Kim, my son lives in Austin!! He loves it there. I'll look the place you mentioned too.

Georgann

Edited by - Aunt George on Apr 16 2007 12:31:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  05:40:12 AM  Show Profile
Georgeann, any way I could convince you to move to the beautiful cental coast of Calif? I feel we are kindred spirits and it would be fun to be neighbors! It's still pretty rural here. Can't beat the weather AND you never know who you might see at Costco!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  06:00:16 AM  Show Profile
LOL...I'm afraid Mima that we could not afford the housing out there in California!! I would love to live there though, all that sunshine and the stars at the Costco! I'd love to see Bo Derek picking out stalks of broccoli! LOL......I think we are leaning toward South-East Missouri near the rivers there. But that could change by tonight!

G

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  07:41:49 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
TEXAS!!! That will come true in less than a year but I do miss the coastal area of CT where I grew up.
Go to Top of Page

littlegreen
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Katelyn
Spanish Fork UT
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  08:11:07 AM  Show Profile
My dream state in ALASKA, for sure... I was born and raised there and only left to go to school, but of course I met my husband and fell in love and he, of course, hates the cold weather and so, alas, it truly is only a "dream" state... But it is a beautiful place to dream about even if it is only a dream!!

www.littlegreendesigns.com ~ handbound blank books, purses, jewelry, and other fun stuff for the naturist in you!
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  2:03:55 PM  Show Profile
My son just got back from visiting his girlfriends parents in Franklin, Tenn. he said it was really beautiful there and he thought that I would really like it there. UNFORTUNATELY! Saturday, my husband and I saw The Reaping with Hilary Swank (okay,yes I'm twisted- I like scary movies!)Anyway, set in the South! Very Creepy! And The Skeleton Key.... Something about those bayous and swamps....(shudder!) (I hope I didn't offend anyone from the south!)
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  2:58:09 PM  Show Profile
Hmmmm...it is so interesting to read about all of the different states! What a great discussion - and what great information. I have to say that for me, Utah is my dream state. There are a few things that I would change, if I had a big, huge, magic wand, but on the whole, the landscape is awe inspiring, the people are friendly and the farm I'm on is *home*. That said, it DOES seem like everywhere I visit, I think, "Gee - wouldn't it be great to LIVE here?!?!?!?"

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Do you have a Dream State? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page