Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 A few questions about baby food...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic A few questions about baby food... Next Topic
Page: of 2

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  07:25:49 AM  Show Profile
Alee - how's it going now? Is Nora eating baby food?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  11:26:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Sherri-

No she is still to young yet- only 4 months. The doctor and I agree that she is doing great on just breastmilk. I have feeling that as soon as we introduce food she will wean herself. We gave her some juice the other day and she went on a nursing strike because all she wanted was the juice. It took me 3 days to get her back to her not fussing at nursing. Her father has given her a few little tastes of things and I have let her try a few little things- Just more of a taste than really eating anything. She has seemed really receptive to it all. Her father gave her a taste of his Taco John's refried beans! I couldn't believe it but he didn't tell me until it was already done. He said after that she mimiced his chewing movements whenever he chewed which I think is funny. Probably in the next month or two we might start introducing some baby cereal or something, but I am not in a huge hurry. She and I really enjoy our nursing time together.

Hugs!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  07:22:52 AM  Show Profile
All four of mine were unique and preferred different things. My oldest loved oatmeal. He ate it and scrambled eggs. As a little baby though he would eat babyfood like gerber green beans and any kind of soup. But as I was weaning him he loved oatmeal (old fashioned) and he did not like cow's milk at all. He loved fruit.

My 3rd child loved everything except cottage cheese or avacados. Now she will eat both of those things and her really only dislike is of chocolate malt-o-meal. She was the best baby and ate anything I gave her. But, she always preferred the mixed baby cereal, never truly liked the rice cereal. None of my children ever have.

My fourth acted like he was starved to death. He came out of the womb that way. He would eat (and I'm not joking) at each meal (3 times a day) a bowl of mixed cereal (I mixed baby formula with it) AND 2 enormous jars of baby food usually the 2nd foods. As he has gotten older he doesn't eat that way anymore. He is pretty satisfied with just some baby yogurt and some cheerios for breakfast and then he drinks about 6 oz of cow's milk. He just turned 1.

EVERY baby is different. You just have to experiment.

I would definitely plan on a big bowl of cereal in the morning and then give you baby breastmilk. It really fills them up and they are happy and sets the tone for the day. My baby slept so well once I started him on this. I wish I had done it with the others. He would eat 3 meals a day (in addition to a nursing or a bottle) and then just nurse or a bottle (no solids) in the evening.
I alternated breastmilk and formula. That may be blasphemy to some, but it worked out well and I have 3 others to look after. I nursed exclusively for the first 5 months, so I feel like I got him off to a great start. : ) Just gotta keep the whole family in mind when you decide how to feed your baby. : ) Sometimes you can do the breastmilk thing and sometimes you can't. After baby number 3 I decided that my sanity was more important that trying to be a human milk bottle all the time. : ) My 3rd drank cow's milk from month 10 on. Every family is different though.

If you find that the cereal makes her constipated, try some prune juice or just feed her prunes. That's what I have always done. My babies always got stopped up with the baby cereal. And you can offer some warm, watered-down tea with their meals. I'm all for starting them on tea early.

Have fun and enjoy the time it goes by lightening fast!!!

With Grace,

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·. http://boinglink.blogspot.com/

Edited by - _Rebecca_ on Jul 26 2007 07:26:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

newmomma327
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Tabatha
Michigan
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2007 :  6:52:06 PM  Show Profile
Do you make your own baby food?

Hi there - I'm a mom to a 17 mo old so this is all based on my personal experience and I also work for the biggest baby food company in the US (I am offering an unbiased opinion though :) - I did not make my own food b/c of time constraints and my faith in the technology and advancement - as well as the sources of the food coming from my own county with the brand I use. But I tip my hat to all the moms out there who do!!!!!

Do you have any recipes for healthy baby food?
If you look at the ingredients for most pureed baby foods sold commerically, the ingreidents are strictly the fruit or vegetable and water. So expermintation is at your own enjoyment! I know my daughter liked sweet potatoes and corn as a combination, peaches and apples, and even now I use fresh fruit to mix w/ plain or vanilla yogurt to make her "smoothies".

What baby foods did/does your child prefer?
Funny - my favorite baby food (according to my mom) was bananas - my daughter does not like bananas at all. Carrots literally make me gag - daughter loves them. Other than that - she really liked some tropical fruits like guava and mango and papaya.

Once you switched to baby food did you concentrate more on fruits or veggies?
I still tried to give the infant cereal as often as possible - which I encourage all moms too just b/c of the importance of a grain product and also the fortified minerals (iron and zinc) are important for growth those first 2 years. Trying to incorpate some whole grains like barley or mixed grains is what I did too as I progressed to also introducing those fruits and vegetables. I don't think my daughter was exposed to any meat products until 9 or 10 months and that was in kind of a dinner form.

Does it seem strange that we focus mostly on fruits and vegetables for baby food but as general rule we are a society that consumes the most meat in the world?
Definitely! I think as a mom seeing that my daughter was consuming the frutis and veggies on a regular basis really made me take a long look at my diet mainly being composed of grains/pastas/breads and then some dairy and meat mixed in. Especially now w/ her being older and the baby food isn't a part of her diet anymore, I'm more conscious about the meals I'm trying to serve. I could certaintly use some work on my own diet - sigh - and I think being a mom brings that into a whole new light knowing a little one is watching what you are eating too.

Just my little opinions :)

Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  07:48:21 AM  Show Profile
With my first I used the rice cereal and baby food jars. With my second I was more relaxed and though I did start with rice cereal I never bought baby food jars. I would give him little bits of food off my plate, or sometimes mash up a banana really good. He loved squished peas, mashed potatoes (I left the milk and butter out for him), and teeny tiny bits of meat. The fact is that I didn't give him ANY food until he was six months old though. 100 years ago there was no such thing as "baby food" - they just ate what the parents were eating!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic A few questions about baby food... Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page