Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic stinky sourdough? Next Topic  

happyhousewife
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Mary
North Pole Alaska
201 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  9:02:13 PM  Show Profile
I just started it a few days ago and it smells horrendous- like curdled milk. No mold, though. I expected a sour smell, but this is overwhelming. Is this normal or should I throw it out? Please tell me I can toss it because my kitchen smells awful!

Thanks for your help!

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  11:14:26 PM  Show Profile
hmm, what sourdough starter, where did you get it from? mine kinda stinks, but in a good way, maybe your sniffer is off........... jo

"life is drab without a lab"
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum15.html
Go to Top of Page

happyhousewife
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Mary
North Pole Alaska
201 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  07:55:17 AM  Show Profile
It's the recipe from MJ's book...

I don't think my sniffer is off. I took the towel off the bowl last night and my 2-year old said, "Uh oh- Caliber pooped, Mom." That's our dog.
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  08:57:14 AM  Show Profile
Mary, When my spouse goes back to Prudhoe Bay in 3 weeks, want to go over and get some of my starter from him? Just kiddding. If you send me your snail mail address privately, I'll put you on the list of those I need to send out soon. Fed it over the weekend and it's bubbly and ready to be portioned out.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  4:38:27 PM  Show Profile
I always think it smells terrible... sounds normal to me.

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  5:34:13 PM  Show Profile
Toss it. If you react like this, I'd guess something is wrong. It's just flour and water, so what's to lose? How fresh is the whole wheat you get up there? I wonder if that, or the water may be the problem. It really needs to be purified water, and the mineral content may affect the yeast too. I'm just guessing... sometimes you do everything right and it just goes wrong. We're all here to help you out!

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  7:09:36 PM  Show Profile
I got to know Lois Conway who co-wrote the Bread Machine Magic books-which have great recipes whether or not a machine is used. She strongly recommended bottled water in making bread. That could be a place to start for success. Mary emailed me and she's added to my short list. I'll try to get packages out first of the week. Sourdough is an acquired taste and smell, no doubt.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

happyhousewife
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Mary
North Pole Alaska
201 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  8:18:02 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I'll admit it.....I didn't use purified water...

I thought the only reason was to avoid chlorine and since I have well water I thought it'd be okay...but we do have minerals...

I'll try harder next time!
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  09:13:37 AM  Show Profile
I've never used anything but tap water but then again I like the smell of sourdough starter and my sister can't see how I can stand it. Try again, but it may just be the normal smell.
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  10:58:10 AM  Show Profile
Mary,
I was informed this morning that North Pole is near Fairbanks, about 300 miles from where my husband works in Prudhoe Bay. Duh me, should have looked at the map.
I don't think the water was the problem; I use filtered from the tap and we have very hard water here. Sometimes, they just don't take off like we would like.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

happyhousewife
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Mary
North Pole Alaska
201 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  11:11:43 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ronna

Mary,
I was informed this morning that North Pole is near Fairbanks, about 300 miles from where my husband works in Prudhoe Bay. Duh me, should have looked at the map.

I thought you were kidding! I've never been to Prudhoe Bay, there's nothing there except work...
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  1:47:01 PM  Show Profile
They do have tourists come to see the polar bears and such in the summer-if you can call it summer. I've not been there, or to Alaska at all. He's been working up there about 20 years. I guess Prudhoe Bay (head of the oil pipeline if anyone does not know) and Barrow are about the northern most spots in the USA.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  10:29:26 AM  Show Profile
Hubby and I went to Barrow on June 22nd a few years ago to see the 24 hours of daylight. It was an interesting trip, especially seeing the ice floes from the Arctic Ocean looming up about 7-8 feet above the beach level. It felt odd to be walking along the beach and looking UP at this wall of ice!

I am trying my own sourdough starter as well, using just flour and water. I started it over a week ago and left it outside for the day. When I retrieved it, it had this VERY strong cheese smell. I've brewed a few batches of beer, and have learned in THAT hobby that yeasts act funny if they are kept at temperatures above their ideal. In beer brewing, too high a temperature will cause the yeast to create "off" smells and tastes. I figured this is what probably happened with my starter, so I took about 1/4 cup of the smelly stuff and added it to fresh flour and water. It's slowly starting to ferment again, but this time I'm keeping it in the comparative coolness of the kitchen (Phoenix was really warm a few days ago) and this time, no funny cheesy smell.
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  4:34:38 PM  Show Profile
What fun, Maria. I'm sure your experiences with brewing will help you get the most from your sourdough.

Mary~ Water varies so much from place to place. At some, tap is fine, at others, not fine for yeast growth. I'm guessing this is what led MJ to recommend purified water in her IdeaBook. Hope this helps:)
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic stinky sourdough? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page