kathryn
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Kathryn
Jackson south carolina
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  3:58:35 PM  Show Profile
Is there anyone out there in South Carolina?

knittin girl13
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Haley

8 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2005 :  7:43:22 PM  Show Profile
No but we are close. in north carolina. visiting with my family if that is any help to you.

Haley
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Kathryn
Jackson south carolina
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  4:44:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi Haley,
I was just curious. I live in a small town and near 2 larger towns with not many folks interested in organic gardening, etc.. North Carolina is a wonderful state (Asheville is great) and I hope you enjoy your visit with family. Thanks for responding !! best, Kathryn
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  5:38:12 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Kathryn! I'm new here as well, though not from SC. I'm from upstate New York, although I will be visiting family in SC next month.

Edited by - laluna on Jun 27 2005 5:38:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  8:58:42 PM  Show Profile
Kathryn - there is another person who posts here from South Carolina. I think her website name is KJAMES.
Welcome, and I hope you will tell us more about yourself!
jpbluesky

Heartland girl

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jun 27 2005 8:59:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

pennyfour
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

USA
27 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  08:48:26 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kathryn - I live in SC; between Charleston and Columbia. Welcome to the site and look forward to hearing more about you.
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Kathryn
Jackson south carolina
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  4:41:01 PM  Show Profile
Laluna, Hi ! This is weird, my boyfriend is from upstate NY. He just bought his family farm in Stockton ..not too far from Jamestown. Where are you? My family is from NY too but Yonkers and Long Island area. It's good too hear from you !
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Kathryn
Jackson south carolina
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  4:42:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi Pennyfour! Cool, I'm not too far from you. Jackson is in between Aiken and Augusta Ga. We live here becasue it's close to work at the Savannah River Ecology Lab. We rent a wonderful home and have a huge garden..which I love !
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  5:42:32 PM  Show Profile
@Kathryn - hey! Jamestown isn't *too* far away from where I am! I live SE of Buffalo. So is your boyfriend up here then? How did you meet?
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Kathryn
Jackson south carolina
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2005 :  3:10:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi, yah, you're not too far at all. I love upstate, well, I really like all of NY state..so much to do and see. Well, my boyfriend and I met here in SC. He moved south about 20 yrs back to finish his graduate studies at Duke and then University of Ga. While doing his postdoc at the Savannah River Ecology Lab (where I now work) he was teaching at a local University. I was an "elderly" returning student and working full time..as luck would have it, I took an early morning ecology class he was co-teaching... 5 yrs later...we met again doing some volunteer vegetation sampling at a local Audubon chapter. We were both newly divorced at the time and just became great friends which lead to sweet romance ! We share a love for plants and work with threatened and endangered speceis. We both have a deep passion for organic gardening and have big dreams of our own farm one day. I've been learnign to making goat milk soaps, lotins, jams, grwoing herbs, veggies organically in our "test" here in Jackson.
I've been very lucky ! Tell me how your family wound up down south? I have to warn you..it's at least 1000+ degrees right now..bring lots of loose clothing and a secret I picked up from some wonderful southern women here who also work outdoors...bring powder..shower to shower or the like. It helps keep your clothes (and you) stay fresh while absorbing sweat. I even put some on before my runs in the morning :). best, K
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2005 :  09:05:02 AM  Show Profile
Kathryn, thanks for the heads-up re: the weather. I am definitely not a hot and humid weather girl, so I'm planning on spending a lot of my time there visiting indoors or poolside. We're driving down to boot (about a 13 hour drive) so I just made sure my air-conditioning is working as well!
What a great story of how you and your bf met! And it sounds like you are having a wonderful time with all of your plans...
And it's my mom's brother and his wife, who's also from the Buffalo area, who made a move to Tennessee over 20 years ago. Due to job situations and coming upon retirement, they bought some land in NW SC and have built a beautiful home there. Then, a couple years after my grandfather passed away, they moved my grandmother down with them, so that's who we'll be visiting in just a couple of weeks. I'm really looking forward to it (despite the heat ) - it's always great to spend time with family, and my aunt is an avid gardener, so I'm always getting good ideas from her as well.
Go to Top of Page

Julie
MaryJane's Farmgirl

60 Posts

Julie
Moscow ID
USA
60 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2005 :  11:17:53 AM  Show Profile
Hey Kathryn,

Welcome. I'm from SC. Julie Bell here from MaryJanesFarm. I grew up in Boiling Springs, just outside of Spartanburg. All of my family still lives there. Hot and humid, yesssss, do not miss that part, but everything else is still in my heart.....

So glad to hear that you are part of our Farmgirl Connection.

Food Stylin' & Fancy Free
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic South Carolina? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page